PDA

View Full Version : Free Skills

EbbCubed
June 12th, 2019, 17:03
I'm building an Operative and they get two 'free skills' but when I look at Ranks Spent it says 2 even though I haven't put any more ranks into other skills. I know I can modify this myself but I feel that it could confuse people who are less familiar with the ruleset.

Blahness98
June 12th, 2019, 18:00
The ranks for the free skills are added on top of the ones you get for being an operative. They are automatically placed into the proper skills by the rule set and FG recognizes them as spent ranks. But, your total ranks (8+Int Mod+Race(if human)) will be two higher than what you would normally have to account for the automatically added ranks.

Example, A level 1 Human Operative with a +3 Int mod would get 12 (8+3+1) points to spend in ranks. I chose the Ghost spec and get the free points in Acro and Stealth. I still have the 12 points to spend even though there are 2 points are spent in Acro and Stealth. The total available to spend will 14 to account for the 2 free ranks and the normal 12.

Hope this clears things up.

EbbCubed
June 12th, 2019, 18:26
The ranks for the free skills are added on top of the ones you get for being an operative. They are automatically placed into the proper skills by the rule set and FG recognizes them as spent ranks. But, your total ranks (8+Int Mod+Race(if human)) will be two higher than what you would normally have to account for the automatically added ranks.

Example, A level 1 Human Operative with a +3 Int mod would get 12 (8+3+1) points to spend in ranks. I chose the Ghost spec and get the free points in Acro and Stealth. I still have the 12 points to spend even though there are 2 points are spent in Acro and Stealth. The total available to spend will 14 to account for the 2 free ranks and the normal 12.

I know that's how it's supposed to work but when I initially went to build my character it did not include these ranks. I had to manually go in and modify how many skill ranks I got from the class because it did not give me the two extra 'free skill' ranks for the class. I have since tried to replicate it (after your response) and it has appeared the way it was intended.

Blahness98
June 12th, 2019, 18:30
Looks like another quirk with the SF rule set. Just out of curiosity, what spec did you use the first time and on the second try did you use the same one?

EbbCubed
June 12th, 2019, 18:41
I used the same spec on each try. The issue may have been my indecision earlier on in character creation for where I wanted to put my 10 point buy but that's only speculation at this point. In the end I had stats set to 13 int (so +1) which by normal metrics means I had 9 ranks plus the two free skills but it only showed I had 9 to spend including the use of the two free skills. I manually changed it to 11 to compensate for the free skills and it has been fixed ever since, even in a new campaign (which I wanted to make sure it wasn't only fixed in the campaign I was in)

Weptak
May 2nd, 2021, 11:00
I think I have the same problem.
Human Operative 14 intel with Thief spec : showing 11 skill points (so 8 + 2 intel + 1 human), no skill points already put in the two skills...

deer_buster
May 4th, 2021, 02:13
I think I have the same problem.
Human Operative 14 intel with Thief spec : showing 11 skill points (so 8 + 2 intel + 1 human), no skill points already put in the two skills...

Did you edit the skills to mark them as free???

Weptak
May 4th, 2021, 06:10
Did you edit the skills to mark them as free???

Probably not... is it the unlabeled check in the edit menu ? I was under the impression it was for marking as a class skill, as it is the only header in that section...

EDIT : Ok, it is indeed that check box to mark as free. It would be useful to replace the "Class Skill" header label (the unaligned lock-like icon) that is still displayed when you select "edit list" and replace it with a "free skill" label.

superteddy57
May 4th, 2021, 16:56
Probably not... is it the unlabeled check in the edit menu ? I was under the impression it was for marking as a class skill, as it is the only header in that section...

EDIT : Ok, it is indeed that check box to mark as free. It would be useful to replace the "Class Skill" header label (the unaligned lock-like icon) that is still displayed when you select "edit list" and replace it with a "free skill" label.

The LIVE version of the ruleset won't receive an update till Lighting and Vision have been implemented. The latest up to date version of the ruleset is on the TEST server.

vegaserik
May 12th, 2021, 14:58

lol I stumbled upon that myself with an Operative I had just made for SF Society!

Tuleen Donai
May 16th, 2021, 17:08
Question on Free Skills: Adds grey box to Skill next to Ranks. Box is blank, cannot put ANYTHING in the box.

Where does the Free Skill Bonus get added in? Do I add a +1 to Mod?

Test Server

Evolivolution
May 16th, 2021, 18:41
Can you be a bit more specific? Steps to reproduce?

Tuleen Donai
May 16th, 2021, 19:19
Sure! So, the Pre-Gen Character Barsala has been somewhat messed up for a while. My verison and Madmax's version. But, since I just finished a number of FG College classes, I thought I would take another whack at it.

The issues are:

On the Pre-Gen character sheet for Barasala, the total Ranks were 4, Spent 5. Free Skills: Total 2 Ranks 0.

Need to fix that Rank overage. Turned out to potentially be the issue with Video Personality, which had the
extra rank. When I removed the Rank, this skill dropped to +4, BUT I think she gets the Culture Racial bonus
of +2 here, which would bring it up to +6, like the PDF. (seemingly fixed.)

Culture is a +8 and according to the Barsala PDF should be a +6.

I compared Altronus to Barsala and found that her culture skill was based on STR and should have been INT.
(seemingly fixed.)

Life Science and Physical Science should be a +9 accoring to the PDF, and were at a +8.

I started looking into Free Skills and even though BOTH had the Free Skill checked, there was no added bonus,
hence my question. (see attached Char Sheet) I ADDED a +1 MOD for the Free Skill on each. Is this correct?

Evolivolution
May 16th, 2021, 20:18
Looks like this: 46796.
I don't know how shes supposed to get the +9 though.

Tuleen Donai
May 16th, 2021, 20:31
How did you get the numbers in the Free Skill boxes?

(Removed other comments that were in error.)

Evolivolution
May 16th, 2021, 20:33
Just put them in there. Make sure you have 0 in your normal skill ranks for that skill.
It's hardcoded so you can't exceed your level.

Tuleen Donai
May 16th, 2021, 21:04
Just put them in there. Make sure you have 0 in your normal skill ranks for that skill.
It's hardcoded so you can't exceed your level.

<slaps forehead!> I just got what you meant by this!

I completely agree with you now. I have NO idea why the PDF says +9 for Life Science and Physical Science.

Tuleen Donai
May 16th, 2021, 22:21
Starting over with Barsala:

Select Race and Theme - Kasatha and Icon
Adjust Base skills to hers - 12, 14, 10, 8, 16, 13
Select Class - Biohacker

Looking at Class with the magnifier shows Ranks Total: 4.
Skills Tab say Ranks Total: 3

????

deer_buster
May 16th, 2021, 23:32
wrong topic

superteddy57
May 17th, 2021, 00:17
Starting over with Barsala:

Select Race and Theme - Kasatha and Icon
Adjust Base skills to hers - 12, 14, 10, 8, 16, 13
Select Class - Biohacker

Looking at Class with the magnifier shows Ranks Total: 4.
Skills Tab say Ranks Total: 3

????

The Intelligence does add to the modifier by default. Looks like a -1. So that might be playing a part in the decreased skill total. I'll have to double check the rules to see if a negative modifier affects the total.

Evolivolution
May 17th, 2021, 01:00
The Intelligence does add to the modifier by default. Looks like a -1. So that might be playing a part in the decreased skill total. I'll have to double check the rules to see if a negative modifier affects the total.

Yeah that's accurate. It's 4 from the class -1 from Int.