PDA

View Full Version : How do I apply cover modifiers?

TheKnightsSquire
June 11th, 2019, 05:30
I'm new to Fantasy Grounds and I can't find out how to add cover modifiers to characters.

(half, three quarters, and full cover)

Myrdin Potter
June 11th, 2019, 05:49
Use the -2 and -5 modifier buttons to reduce the to hit roll or add AC effects to increase AC by 2 and 5.

LordEntrails
June 11th, 2019, 06:24
5E only has 2 types of cover :) Also, their might be effects for them, but the modifiers MP mentions is, imo, the best wayt o do it, since a character or NPC may only have cover against some opponents and not all of them, depending upon position.

TheKnightsSquire
June 11th, 2019, 06:36
Thanks. I figured it had something to do with the modifier buttons, but I wasn't sure.

Also I forgot that "Full Cover" just means you can't get hit.

Zacchaeus
June 11th, 2019, 11:11
Also if you click on the +/- button top right there's a cover and superior cover button.

Trenloe
June 11th, 2019, 12:35
You can also use the COVER or SCOVER effect. Info here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Effects#Modifiers

Myrdin Potter
June 11th, 2019, 18:30
I find the modifier buttons the most useful as my most used cover situation (firing into melee which the cover rule states is 1/2 cover) is very situational. The person attacking applies the modifier to the attack roll and it is done.

TheKnightsSquire
June 11th, 2019, 22:44
Do the modifier buttons work with the Combat Tracker?

Zacchaeus
June 11th, 2019, 22:46
Do the modifier buttons work with the Combat Tracker?
Yes.

TheKnightsSquire
June 11th, 2019, 22:58
Thanks for the help.

Myrdin Potter
June 12th, 2019, 05:00
I would say that the modifier buttons work with your next die roll (or existing one of you apply and drag and drop onto the target). Pushing the button does not add an effect or change what you see on the combat tracker.

Temmpest
June 19th, 2019, 20:55
Also if you click on the +/- button top right there's a cover and superior cover button.

There is also an opportunity attack button. How does this affect the attack/damage roll?

Kelrugem
June 19th, 2019, 21:58
There is also an opportunity attack button. How does this affect the attack/damage roll?

I guess that works like in 3.5e/Pathfinder:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Effects

On that page are some effects with the descriptor "opportunity" (but "opportunity" may work also always when one has the descriptor [range]? At least that seemed so in 3.5e). With that descriptor that effect only turns on when someone is making an attack of opportunity but for that you have to tell FG that some attack is an attack of opportunity and that is done with that opportunity button :) (Please correct me if that is different in 5e)

Zacchaeus
June 19th, 2019, 22:03
The opportunity button tells FG that the attack is an opportunity attack. If someone has an effect on them that only fires when they get an opportunity attack FG needs to know this.

Temmpest
June 19th, 2019, 22:36
The opportunity button tells FG that the attack is an opportunity attack. If someone has an effect on them that only fires when they get an opportunity attack FG needs to know this.

Could you give me an example.

Zacchaeus
June 19th, 2019, 22:54
If a character had an an effect such as ATK: 1d6, opportunity then they’d get a d6 bonus to their attack roll if they make an opportunity attack. If you don’t press the opportunity button FG won’t register that it is an opportunity attack and the effect won’t fire.

Temmpest
June 20th, 2019, 01:11
Ok. Thank you. (I still don't know where you would get such an effect)

Zacchaeus
June 20th, 2019, 08:50
Ok. Thank you. (I still don't know where you would get such an effect)

You would create it in the actions tab. Or do you mean what spell/ability or whatever from the rulebook gives a bonus or penalty to opportunity attack rolls? If the latter I'm not sure off hand that there are any.