PDA

View Full Version : Drawing on Maps / Images Live

greentongue
June 10th, 2019, 16:18
How do people get around the "pencil thin" line when using the built-in drawing tool?

Do you hot swap the image from a drawing program into the FG image folder?
Some other method?

JohnD
June 10th, 2019, 16:41
There's only the one thickness for drawing lines. It's an area that certainly could use some improvement.

You could do the hot swap, but I think you might loose any map pins or encounter placements on the map if you did that.

LordEntrails
June 10th, 2019, 17:08
You can open the image into GIMP, etc straight from the FG images/maps folder, edit it, save it, reload the image. Personally I just don't use the built in tools and when I need to add something to the map I use the pointers.(My maps generally are already full color and detailed because I make them in CC3+)

Trenloe
June 10th, 2019, 17:23
Personally, I wouldn't edit the map outside of FG while FG is live - I don't think I've ever done this. I'll maybe add tokens to the map, use pointers, use the mask, share record links, etc. to control what I show to the players.

greentongue
June 10th, 2019, 17:34
So, no quick hand drawn maps while the game is running?

I was hoping that it worked in layers and the bottom layer was the base image.
Then that could be swapped out as it was updated.

There are some simple "tile laying" programs for throwing together maps as well as the old fashion hand drawn ones with Paint.
Would be nice if that was an option.

LordEntrails
June 10th, 2019, 17:36
So, no quick hand drawn maps while the game is running?

I was hoping that it worked in layers and the bottom layer was the base image.
Then that could be swapped out as it was updated.

There are some simple "tile laying" programs for throwing together maps as well as the old fashion hand drawn ones with Paint.
Would be nice if that was an option.
FGU will have all of this, FGC does not. (Though you can use a community layers extension for layers)

damned
June 10th, 2019, 23:38
Personally, I wouldn't edit the map outside of FG while FG is live - I don't think I've ever done this. I'll maybe add tokens to the map, use pointers, use the mask, share record links, etc. to control what I show to the players.

I havent tried it either but I have seen others doing it. FG itself doesnt write to the image file so you shouldnt get any read/write conflicts but you have to reshare the whole image to all players each time you make changes.