PDA

View Full Version : Sharing adventures between GM's

Lilly Fireblade
June 4th, 2019, 16:52
Is it against the TOS/EULA (or classified as piracy) to share purchased adventures/content with an other dm that I trust? I scanned the EULA and I really didn't find anything about it but the EULA I read might have been the wrong one.

Trenloe
June 4th, 2019, 17:01
It's based off what copyright or the license the product is released under. If the product is released under the OGL or a community commons license, then you can share the material covered by that license (based off the rules and restrictions of the license). Otherwise, the product will more than likely be covered by copyright and you can't legally share.

Trenloe
June 4th, 2019, 17:07
And it also depends on the format of the product - if it's an FG module bought through the store or Steam, then you can't share that with another GM.

Lilly Fireblade
June 4th, 2019, 17:49
specifically I am talking about the "Hardcovers" from Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition. which to the best of my knowledge physical and some PDFs and the like can be shared willy nilly but I am just trying to cover my bases before I attempt such a feat with Fantasy grounds.

Trenloe
June 4th, 2019, 17:51
specifically I am talking about the "Hardcovers" from Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition. which to the best of my knowledge physical and some PDFs and the like can be shared willy nilly but I am just trying to cover my bases before I attempt such a feat with Fantasy grounds.
There are no "legal" PDFs of the D&D 5E Wizards of the Coast harcover books to the best of my knowledge.

Lilly Fireblade
June 4th, 2019, 18:10
Wizards releases some adventures and partial hardcovers (Introductory Adventures) thru Dragon+ magizine as pdf's and the "A Great Uprising" Introductory adventure is even offered on dmsguild with a pdf and fg .mod file.

Trenloe
June 4th, 2019, 18:22
Wizards releases some adventures and partial hardcovers (Introductory Adventures) thru Dragon+ magizine as pdf's and the "A Great Uprising" Introductory adventure is even offered on dmsguild with a pdf and fg .mod file.
Check the copyright statement on those products - I imagine they're covered by copyright and prevent you from legally sharing that material with other people.

Lilly Fireblade
June 4th, 2019, 18:37
so FG doesn't have any additional/special regulations (that you are aware of) for say me sharing the Dungeon of the Mad mage only that I have to follow what ever limitations Wizards uses in regards to their physical products? and that I should contact them if I have any further questions on this?

Trenloe
June 4th, 2019, 18:45
so FG doesn't have any additional/special regulations (that you are aware of) for say me sharing the Dungeon of the Mad mage only that I have to follow what ever limitations Wizards uses in regards to their physical products? and that I should contact them if I have any further questions on this?
Any material that Fantasy Grounds (the company SmiteWorks) produces is covered by their copyright too. As I said in post #3 - for fantasy Grounds official modules you can't legally share any of the material with other GMs - all you can do is use the FG data "sharing" functionality for players using the FG client when they are connected to the GM who owns the material.

LordEntrails
June 5th, 2019, 00:15
The FG modules you buy through the FG store can not (technically) be shared regardless of legal aspects. They are tied to your account and are encrypted when you download them. So, even if you wanted to share them, you couldn't unless you actively tried (and could) circumvent the security placed around them.

So, in short, their is no way, legally, to share DoMM and it would be rather challenging to do so illegally (as intended).

Lilly Fireblade
June 5th, 2019, 20:07
Thanks for the information