PDA

View Full Version : Savage Worlds "Bare Bones"

robert4818
June 2nd, 2019, 14:55
I think a bare-bones version of the dataset could be useful.

Bare-bones would be a version of the data set with all effects turned off, and the system as de-automated as possible.

Essentially the system would Roll dice pools (Trait + WD) and normal weapon damage. It would let the GM deal out initiative. But that is it.

The rolls are raw. Modifiers are added manually in the system. Edges, Hindrances, spells, powers, etc. Are simply words on the character sheet and must be dealt with by the players.

Essentially what SW would be like if the character sheet was simply built in Core RPG and typed in, with the exception that you can bring in the modules and drag/drop into proper places. It's intended to be a feature to to remove automation when working with modules or games where the mix of automated/not automated gets in the way more than it helps.

This isn't how I WANT to play my games. I Love the automation in the game. However, this would be useful for using custom modules that haven't got alot of the automation built into them yet. It means that you don't have to play with half the stuff automating and half the stuff being words only. This would be a life saver in many instances.

GM BK
June 2nd, 2019, 21:52
I'll second this. There are certain settings, like Seven Worlds for example, that have built in mechanics that are different than the way standard SWADE handles them. If we could turn off the automation, it would make playing settings like those easier.

robert4818
June 3rd, 2019, 01:41
I'll second this. There are certain settings, like Seven Worlds for example, that have built in mechanics that are different than the way standard SWADE handles them. If we could turn off the automation, it would make playing settings like those easier.

I agree. I would say that there are certain minimum amount of "automation" that needs to be done.

Primarily, handling basic dice pooling (die + wild die), and basic initiative (perhaps multi-card initiative if basic card handling doesn't do it.)

robert4818
July 25th, 2019, 18:58
I just wanted to bump this back up and see if it's possible to get this as an option.

Doswelk
July 26th, 2019, 13:46
I just wanted to bump this back up and see if it's possible to get this as an option.

It was an option 10 years or so ago with Fantasy grounds 1.x version of Savage Worlds, considering how many requests have been done over the years to automate more and more, I am unsure you will get this to be honest.

That said the whole idea behind automation these days in SW is to make custom modules easier, you can have gear/hindrances/edges/etc. have effects added to them the number of possible effects are being increased.

What is missing/needed for the settings that cannot be DLC (due to licensing restrictions) maybe we could work on ways to add support even if we cannot support the settings themselves.

robert4818
July 26th, 2019, 17:24
It was an option 10 years or so ago with Fantasy grounds 1.x version of Savage Worlds, considering how many requests have been done over the years to automate more and more, I am unsure you will get this to be honest.

That said the whole idea behind automation these days in SW is to make custom modules easier, you can have gear/hindrances/edges/etc. have effects added to them the number of possible effects are being increased.

What is missing/needed for the settings that cannot be DLC (due to licensing restrictions) maybe we could work on ways to add support even if we cannot support the settings themselves.

It's more important for those settings where there's no module for, but there are some fairly large tweaks or systems that just aren't automated. In that case, it becomes easier to "turn off" most of the automation, and instead use the ruleset as a virtual character sheet with drag and drop items, and basic dice mechanics (wild die, etc) and deal with the rest manually like you would at an in-person session

I would add I'm essentially looking for an option/module that lets us turn off automation if we want. Not a full blown new-ruleset.

Talyn
July 26th, 2019, 19:57
No automation == don't click all the clickies. Need to roll something? Grab the dice and roll them, and apply the results as needed. That's how it was back in the day, that's still how it is on all the non-automated rulesets.

Mask_of_winter
August 7th, 2019, 11:14
Yep. I miss the pre-CoreRpg days of the Savage Worlds ruleset when it reflected how it plays around a table better (FFF). Now I end up in games where the GM stubbornly tries to figure out how to do something with the automation for 10 mins instead of just rolling the dice and taking 10 seconds to resolve a situation. It also becomes difficult to teach the game to new players because I spend more time teaching FG's implementation of SW than SW itself.
End of rant.

YamaShintaku
August 7th, 2019, 15:05
Yep. I miss the pre-CoreRpg days of the Savage Worlds ruleset when it reflected how it plays around a table better (FFF). Now I end up in games where the GM stubbornly tries to figure out how to do something with the automation for 10 mins instead of just rolling the dice and taking 10 seconds to resolve a situation. It also becomes difficult to teach the game to new players because I spend more time teaching FG's implementation of SW than SW itself.
End of rant.

I (as a GM) have the exact opposite problem... I have a player character who insists to having the FG engine do these complicated rolls, with tons of modifiers on Frenzy and Sweep. At some point, I usually just breakdown and do the rolls manually. Sometimes it gets far too complicated trying to have the automation handle everything.

mac40k
August 7th, 2019, 16:42
End of rant.

Ok, I admit to occasionally finding myself spending too much time during a session trying to figure out how to properly add an effect, but I also quite frequently joke about the fact that I doubt I could run SW face-to-face at this point since I've gotten so spoiled by FG automation.

mac40k
August 7th, 2019, 17:03
No automation == don't click all the clickies. Need to roll something? Grab the dice and roll them, and apply the results as needed. That's how it was back in the day, that's still how it is on all the non-automated rulesets.

Not 100% true. Ikael has hardcoded some things that you can't opt out of like the +2 bonus when rerolling due to Elan for example. FG will automatically apply that +2 modifier and there is no way to switch it off. It doesn't bother me since it's one less mod I have to remember to apply manually, something I've struggled to do in the past IRL.

Moon Wizard
August 7th, 2019, 17:24
I think Talyn was talking about just rolling the dice manually using the 3D models at the bottom. These are just basic dice rolls without any context, so no automation should be performed.

Regards,
JPG

Ikael
August 7th, 2019, 23:21
This topics has been included into next ruleset development cycle. Plan is to allow GM to disable as much roll, card and targeting related automation as possible. However these options does not allow you to pick your favorite automation and disable everything else; this will be more of all-or-nothing options with few exceptions.

Doswelk
August 8th, 2019, 10:00
Ok, I admit to occasionally finding myself spending too much time during a session trying to figure out how to properly add an effect, but I also quite frequently joke about the fact that I doubt I could run SW face-to-face at this point since I've gotten so spoiled by FG automation.

It is a culture shock when I run a face-to-face game EVERY time :)

goodmanje
November 18th, 2022, 14:36
Playing face to face sucks IMO. Making Fantasy Grounds more like that would be a bad thing. You would have to add the sound effects of a bunch of slobs smacking on pizza and burping up all the carbonated beverages they drink. lol

Jiminimonka
November 18th, 2022, 19:56
This topics has been included into next ruleset development cycle. Plan is to allow GM to disable as much roll, card and targeting related automation as possible. However these options does not allow you to pick your favorite automation and disable everything else; this will be more of all-or-nothing options with few exceptions.

This has already been implemented, you can turn off lots of automation.