PDA

View Full Version : New Game

Druthlen
May 21st, 2019, 21:28
I am starting a 4e campaign.

What I am looking for: players that won’t be afk or doing something else while role playing.

What I am offering: a weekly 4e game running LOD module. 5-6 players if we even get that many.

I have had some bad experiences in the past with min maxing in 4e so the chars will be pre made. What’s available:
A wood elf cleric,
Dwarf fighter shield focus,
Minotaur Barbarian,
Kalashtar Bard,
A elf ranger,
A war forged paladin,
A saytr warlock,
A Eladrin wizard,
A thiefling Rogue
If you have a char you would really like me to input I will do so if it’s for roleplaying reasons. If it’s because your build gives a +1 bonus over mine and does way more damage then nah.

Oh this campaign is based on Eberron. I am a newbie to it so please be patient with me. Please post here with which char you would like to play or the role you would like to play. This will start in the last week of May. I am pretty open to the day.

Druthlen

Llyle
May 22nd, 2019, 11:24
Depending on day and time of day, I'd e very interested in joining this. I've never played an Eberron campaign and would like to give it a try!

As of right now I don't have any character that I'd prefer, but I'm guessing you mean a Tiefling Rogue, not thiefling, although thiefling also sounds accurate for a rogue ;)

Llyle

Druthlen
May 22nd, 2019, 19:10
Haha, yea oops.

Great if we get at least 2 more we can start. All the chars are on the server so just grab the one that sounds best for you. Saves a lot of time versus creating them. Your welcome to make changes for theatrical reasons.

Llyle
May 22nd, 2019, 20:04
I never played an Artificer, and the class seems to fit Eberron pretty well. Do you have a premade for that, too? (Not that I would definitely choose that, but I feel it should be in the mix?)

Also, I mentioned this to a couple of players and they asked if the characters are premade, but the choice on how to develop them past the starting level (also with retraining) is for the player to make OR if the development is also premade, and I thought I'd ask here. So how do you plan to handle that?

As a sidenote, I'm in several Discord groups that act as hubs for 4e players, if you want me to, I can relay this post there. I'm sure there are enough players out there who'd want to join.

Druthlen
May 22nd, 2019, 20:28
Nothing is premade past 1st level and you can always retrain something if it ends up not fitting the char as it develops. Good oversight on the artificer. I will add one. Thank you. And feel free to throw out to else where to try to find players.

Druthlen

spite
May 23rd, 2019, 00:10
Do you mind reskinning of the races that are premade? IE, if I wanted to play a Human Barbarian, but took your mechanically minotaur barbarian and played him as a large human? or is it strict premade and prefluffed?
Also what time of day/timezone is this likely to be in?

Druthlen
May 23rd, 2019, 00:13
It is pretty open as long as it doesn’t require to much work on parsaing and updating server etc. also when you guys level I’ll give you me DDI login with a temp password so you can update char.

Druthlen

Rhiwaow
May 23rd, 2019, 01:56
depending on the time of day/timezone this might be interesting.
since you're focusing on premade characters, and i've seen some strange ideas by gm's on what they think constitutes minmaxing and how to make players not do that: could you perhaps post one of the builds as an example? the bard sounds most interesting to me ;)
do you also have premade backstories for the characters, or do we get to make our own?
and finally: how long do you plan this campaign to run, and what level range do you expect that to cover? i'd prefer a long-running lvl 1-30 campaign :)

Druthlen
May 23rd, 2019, 03:19
I’ll post the bard tomorrow. I was hoping for a long running campaign, but life can happen. I am pretty open on my hours. I am in central time zone. I was thinking Thursday's 5 or 6 to 9 or 10. I am pretty flexible.

Rhiwaow
May 23rd, 2019, 11:33
that timezone/time of day would only work saturdays for me (central european timezone)

Llyle
May 23rd, 2019, 11:39
Thursdays is not an option for me either. I was hoping for Mondays or Wednesdays starting around 3 or 4PM central time, or Fridays or Saturdays starting at around 3-6 PM central time. Saturdays would the best for me, too.

Druthlen
May 23rd, 2019, 17:31
Ok Saturdays works. Could we do later 6 to 10?

Bard

PDF link
https://drive.google.com/file/d/17dw1IxbCKeG_AtW3_cUasyqqI9yOL_Zk/view

Llyle
May 23rd, 2019, 21:44
I would be fine with Saturdays, 6-10 PM central time.

Rhiwaow
May 24th, 2019, 22:14
that build looks reasonable, and that time would work for me as well

Druthlen
May 25th, 2019, 04:20
Ok, Great would yall like to play tomorrow? With the two of you I could include my 17 yr old son. That would be enough players to start and we will get more as we go. PM me please.

Rhiwaow
May 25th, 2019, 07:38
we could perhaps do a session 0 where we discuss some things, go over the characters and the like, but i don't have time tomorrow for a full session

Druthlen
May 25th, 2019, 13:24
we could perhaps do a session 0 where we discuss some things, go over the characters and the like, but i don't have time tomorrow for a full session

Sounds fair

Llyle
May 25th, 2019, 16:11

Works for me as well, let's have a session zero.

Druthlen, you should PM us the server alias.

Llyle
May 26th, 2019, 03:05
Session zero Questions and answers:

1) How will we handle absent players? Someone else plays them for the session? Ignore them for the session? GM plays them (not recommended, GMs have enough to do)?

GM: In combat someone should control their actions, not to cripple the party with an important role down, but out of combat they're passive.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
2) How to give levels/XP? XP can be done manually or set up and given via party sheet, but a lot of GMs just inform the group that "they can level now" and that is the easiest way, I think.

GM: You'll gain XP for combat, skill challenges (encounters as such), quests, and personal quests that you can write into your background.
3) Magic Items:

a) Ignore rarity but use limited item daily power rule, or use rarity but have no limit on the item daily powers? In case we use rarity, can we only ever buy common items?

GM: I've only ever played with the original daily item limit, so I'd prefer to do that.

b) Do we find random magic items, items that the adventure gives us, or do you require us to write up an Item Wishlist?

GM: A Wishlist would be welcomed, but if you get any of it won't be guaranteed. I'll certainly let you find stuff that is useful, but maybe not exactly what you wished for.

c) What about Alternative Rewards (boons, grandmaster training etc)? Are those available?

GM: I don't have much experience with that, so I'll be careful: for starters nope, but maybe in the future.

d) Will we be able to sell items at full price, half price, 20% ? Or does that depend on the specific location?

GM: Magic items sell for 50%, mundane items sell for 25%.
4) Feat taxes: As the math of 4e doesn't work out over time, chars need to take expertise and defense feats, some GMs decided to make a call on those and give one free expertise feat on 1st level and one free defense feat on level 5. How about it? (It's totally okay if we don't do this, but it would be awesome if we did)

GM: I see the point of them, but heroic tier it doesn't make too much of a difference. I'll probably give one per tier, so one at level 11, one at level 21.
5) Ritual components: Do Ritual casters need to have the specific components in advance, or do we just subtract the gold from our inventory, for ease of play?

GM: Just subtract the gold.
6) How much do we need to track everyday living costs (common meals etc)?

GM: That will depend on the PC; extravagant stuff will cost you, but if it's just the most basic stuff, we won't track it.
7) How about Ammo?

GM: Track ammunition with mundane items, but don't with magic items. (With magic items it is assumed that the ammunition just kinda reappears)
8) Are there any house rules we should be aware of?

GM: No Character Themes. If something else comes up, we can add it later.
9) Will we use the Fantasy Grounds Crit/fumble tables?

GM: No.
10) Are there any restrictions for building characters (Dragonmark feats for example etc)?

GM: Apart of "no theme", no, everything is allowed for now. If things/builds get too crazy and break the game, I will ask you to build it differently though.
11) Should we just assume all the characters know each other from the start? Will there be some sort of 'gathering the group together play' ? We could just all be fresh members of some 'Adventurer's club', that was sought out to hire some people for the first adventure, that way we'd kind of know each other, but not really that well yet.

GM: Let's assume that you all know and trust each other.
12) Do you prefer Skills to be rolled openly or in the Dice Tower?

GM: I like the Dice tower mechanic.

Character Creation:

GM: You can just claim a premade, but I'm also fine, if you build your own, if it's not game breaking.

-> NO Character Theme allowed.

-> You do get a mechanical background of your choice.

-> You should write a background story that contains at least one or two "personal quests". The game to be played is a published module, but the character backgrounds will be woven into the story; also bringing your personal quest to a resolution will be rewarded with XP.

-> An Item wishlist would be preferred, but take into account that there is no guarantee that you will get any of it.

Arrrthritis
May 26th, 2019, 04:09
I'm definitely interested in joining this! Are there any player slots available at the moment?

Druthlen
May 26th, 2019, 04:56
Yes there are. So far we have
A wizard
A barbarian
A cleric
Another person choosing.

Llyle
May 26th, 2019, 13:02
I'm definitely interested in joining this! Are there any player slots available at the moment?

I'm still mulling over what to play. If you'd like to play a defender, then I'll play a striker (I'd prefer this), but if you want to play something else, I'll play the defender.

Arrrthritis
May 26th, 2019, 16:22
I'll make a defender then, probably a Fighter or Paladin, as I haven't had much experience playing those (and from what I hear battleminds are mostly only viable as off-tanks)

Rhiwaow
May 26th, 2019, 16:38
oh, battleminds can be tons of fun and quite sticky with lodestone lure; they have also a high-damage option (if you build for it) with brutal barrage, or if you mc fighter they can give a nasty debuff at will on lvl 13 as well (dizzying mace->con mod penalty to hit, can be combined with psychic lock and possibly occasionally prone; target is also dazed and generally unhappy)
though many battlemind builds mostly shine when combined with another class - cavalier paladin is one of my favourites to tag onto something

TsundereLion
May 26th, 2019, 22:43
Hey-o. I'm very interested in this game since Llyle shared it. I was thinking about making a Warlord since we've got a fighter and a barbarian if that's cool.

Druthlen
May 27th, 2019, 05:51
Yes that would make 6 and fill us up.

TsundereLion
May 27th, 2019, 16:14
Okay so after giving it a good deal of thought I think the better character for me to play would be my Dryad Vampire. I have a much stronger sense of her story and character, I did however really want to use the Yakuza Character Theme with her. I don't know if its strong or anything I just imagine her as a very brutal and terrifying fighter and Ruthless Demonstration encapsulates that to a T. Plus some of the later level stuff is cool too.