PDA

View Full Version : Hello and Dice Feature Suggestion

Warhaven
September 18th, 2006, 02:51
Hi there,

I just joined the community because our gaming group has spread out to various parts of California over the years, and now we're considering purchasing about a dozen licenses or so.

In any event, I've been toying around with the Fantasy Grounds program and am quite impressed with it. However, there are a few features I'd like to see implemented (if they don't already exist, and I just haven't discovered it):

1) Dice Collision. When rolling more than one die, they can sometimes occupy the same spot and you can't read the results. If you're rolling it in the chat box, that's not a problem because it spits out the result anyway, but when rolling up a character it can be quite the hassle.

2) Option to choose the classic D4 style. In this particular app, it would be easier to read a classic D4 than the newer one (with the numbers displayed at the base, rather than at the point).

3) Ability to set the fade time for the additional dice. Anywhere from its default fade time of about three seconds, to an indefinite time 'til one of the dice is picked up -- at which point, whichever die you picked up becomes your primary die and the rest fade away.

4) After rolling a set of dice, be able to hilight them, right click, and then choose from a variety of contextual options such as: Organize dice from highest to lowest, from lowest to highest, drop the lowest, drop the highest, etc.

5) Hovering your mouse over a die in a group of recently rolled dice will pop up a small piece of parchment or whatever that'd give you basic info about the group: Individual dice values, total, etc.

6) Pop-roll. A quick click or double-click will pop a die -- or group of dice with their fade set to indefinite -- up off the table with a healthy spin before they land again.

Cheers,
-Rob

Shrp77
September 18th, 2006, 08:00
1) Dice Collision. When rolling more than one die, they can sometimes occupy the same spot and you can't read the results. If you're rolling it in the chat box, that's not a problem because it spits out the result anyway, but when rolling up a character it can be quite the hassle.

I would sudgest that this feature be set as a preference option (if implemented at all). Someone running on a slower machine may be bogged down if rolling large ammounts of D's (think WEG StarWars D6 where the highest number of dice rolled in my friends player group was 47 D6).

An alternative is that the dice be 'shifted' after having been rolled so that overlapping dice appear side-by-side.

2) Option to choose the classic D4 style. In this particular app, it would be easier to read a classic D4 than the newer one (with the numbers displayed at the base, rather than at the point).

3) Ability to set the fade time for the additional dice. Anywhere from its default fade time of about three seconds, to an indefinite time 'til one of the dice is picked up -- at which point, whichever die you picked up becomes your primary die and the rest fade away.

No oppinion on #2. I think #5 would solve the problem nicely...

4) After rolling a set of dice, be able to hilight them, right click, and then choose from a variety of contextual options such as: Organize dice from highest to lowest, from lowest to highest, drop the lowest, drop the highest, etc.

I would slot this as a nice-to-have function. I'd rather see other points implemented first...

5) Hovering your mouse over a die in a group of recently rolled dice will pop up a small piece of parchment or whatever that'd give you basic info about the group: Individual dice values, total, etc.

Especially for dicethrows that are done outside the chat window.

6) Pop-roll. A quick click or double-click will pop a die -- or group of dice with their fade set to indefinite -- up off the table with a healthy spin before they land again.

I don't quite understand this one... Are you thinking of a way to quickroll the previous dice collection?

I'd like to add a few sudgestions myself:

7) User defined dice combos. I would really like to be able to click on a Die with a questionmark (or something similar) and simply enter in: 13D6+2. FG would then provide me with 13D6 and add a +2 modifier to the stack right out of the box.

8) Optional die color. For some games (like StarWars D2 2nd Edition) an additional die color is used to indicate a "wild die" whos effect is to basically further randomise the effects of the roll. If it would be possible to specify that such die rolls should have X # of dice that are to be grouped separately (and maybe even have a different color), then it would solve that particular issue.

9) Open ended dice. Some games have an open ended system where f. ex. a result of 6 on a D6 means that you roll that die (or set of dice that get a 6) again and add the value. i.e. if I roll 5D6 damage on an open-ended roll, I might get 2, 3, 5, 6, 6. Immediately the cursor changes to 2 D6's (for the added open-ended result), which after the roll gives me 4 and 6. The cursor changes again to a single D6, giving me a 6. Roll it again and I end up with a 1. The total roll for the damage is: 2+3+5+6+6+4+6+6+1 = 39. Not that it's hard to do it manually, but if it could be logged in the chat window properly, it would make for an easyer read.

I would like to point out that point 8 and 9 are stricktly niceties and do not add any real value to about 98% of the games out there (top-of-my-head, ball-park-the-size-of-the-solar-system estimate).

Most of these features can be solved in the new release if the scripting engine ties in to the dice throwing interface... :)

Just my $0.02 (which by the way is about 0.13 Nok with the exchange rates)

kalmarjan
September 18th, 2006, 13:21
7) User defined dice combos. I would really like to be able to click on a Die with a questionmark (or something similar) and simply enter in: 13D6+2. FG would then provide me with 13D6 and add a +2 modifier to the stack right out of the box.

You can already do this by in two ways:

Add a +2 modifier to the mod box, pick up the d6 and right click while holding down the left mouse button until you get thirteen dice. When you roll them, the +2 mod will be added.

Alternatively, you can type this: "/die 13d6+2" and it will roll thirteen dice and add the +2 modifier.

Sandeman

richvalle
September 18th, 2006, 16:58
Alternatively, you can type this: "/die 13d6+2" and it will roll thirteen dice and add the +2 modifier.

Sandeman

As the DM you might want to add a '?' to that so the players don't see the roll.

rv

Griogre
September 18th, 2006, 18:41
To further clarify richvalle, if you don't know you can set dice macros so they don't show the players the results similar to how it is when the DM actually throws a dice.

The syntex is /die ?1d6+2 which will hide the d6 roll but allow you to center click on it as normal to show the players the total - if you wish.

richvalle
September 18th, 2006, 19:46
Thanks Griogre. I couldn't remember exactly where the ? went but I figured someone would come along and say. :)

rv

Sigurd
September 19th, 2006, 01:09
I'd like a key that one could press that would postpone the fading of the dice.

So Roll and press <key> dice come to a stop. The roller or the dm holds down a key and the dice don't fade. No other dice will resolve until the key is released.

Bo

As DM I'd also like to force all of a particular players die rolls to not resolve. Some times you have to be heavy handed to force players to slow down.

Verdauga
September 28th, 2006, 05:00
I would love to see #3 and #4 more then any others, the rest are good, but especially the organizing can be quite useful for big rolls, although the pop-up on mouseover window would be very nice as well