PDA

View Full Version : Backstab

YAKO SOMEDAKY
May 21st, 2019, 04:54
How to make one effect to the backstab ability?

JohnD
May 21st, 2019, 21:18
Hmm... Well "Backstab; ATK: 4" handles part of it but the damage is dependent on the weapon used and level of the Thief. I'd personally probably build a cloned weapon on the character/NPC sheet and add the modifers there to account for the damage and to hit bonuses. I'd be happy to hear of anything that can do a full effect though.

Frankison
May 21st, 2019, 22:00
I think cloning the weapon and adding the damage dice is probably the best way since Backstab damage is a multiplier of the damage dice then the magic and strength bonus's are added after. Although in my games I allow the magic multiplier and any other bonus of the wielder, Thieves have little combat damage potential and setting up a back stab is actually pretty difficult. Adding the bonuses to the multiplier prior to the roll is fair in my mind.

Its important to know how your DM house rules Backstab or if he/she goes straight off the books reading before determining how you should set up your roll.

If its by the book simply set up a clone as john suggests. My games I just have the thief roll once and I drag the damage onto the target as many times as are necessary to satisfy the damage multiplier.

YAKO SOMEDAKY
May 22nd, 2019, 03:55
The problem is the ignore the dexterity bonus and shield AC

celestian
May 22nd, 2019, 04:19
The problem is the ignore the dexterity bonus and shield AC

There is no way to automate that or the damage multiplier directly. I look at the AC they hit and compare if you wish negate dex and shield ac also. 90% of the time it's a creature with neither (natural ac). For damage I just drag/drop the damage to the npc rolled for each multiplier. It's easy but not btb since it does multiply magic/bonuses also.

YAKO SOMEDAKY
May 22nd, 2019, 05:12
I will talk with the DM and the attack is calculated by the DM and he says if is a hit or miss and the damage will be rolled multiple times on the target

Frankison
May 22nd, 2019, 06:05
Yeah I would give you DM the benefit of the doubt. Whenever a character misses with a special ability or advantageous position I always do the math in my head before declaring it an actual miss. When in doubt always fall back on Pen and Paper.

celestian
May 22nd, 2019, 06:27
Yeah I would give you DM the benefit of the doubt. Whenever a character misses with a special ability or advantageous position I always do the math in my head before declaring it an actual miss. When in doubt always fall back on Pen and Paper.

Yup, that's why I added the "AC hit" and "Target AC" output so you could do that sorta thing on the fly for situations like this.