PDA

View Full Version : Must Clear Campaign Cache Before Connecting

Magentawolf
May 20th, 2019, 03:30
So, I got a new computer and reinstalled FG from the site here, but I'm running into an odd issue now, using Windows 10.

The first time I connect to a host, everything works fine, but on subsequent connections, I am unable to select my character even though I can see it, and no chat that I produce shows up in the window. If I close the character selection window and then open it up again, it's empty.

Clearing that campaign's cache folder solves this problem, but given that I have to do so before every session, I'm trying to figure out the issue here.

damned
May 20th, 2019, 03:38
What is teh campaign name? It will be the cache folder name.
What is your username in FG (not on the forums)?

Magentawolf
May 20th, 2019, 03:43
I'm in four campaigns and they all have the same problem, but none have special characters or anything like that. Kingmaker, Monday Night Side Piece, etc... The name I use is either Kyree or Magentawolf.

This all worked fine with my Win 7 laptop and my other desktop, it just started with this new machine.

damned
May 20th, 2019, 03:47
What is the size of one of these campaign cache folders?
Are they all very small?

Magentawolf
May 20th, 2019, 03:51
Not especially small; they all contain a 'usersettings' folder with a couple of XML hotkeys files, and then a mess of .dat files in the main folder. Campaign.dat, all of the sourcebooks loaded, and some other campaign-specific .dat files. 77MB, 139MB, 21MB, 129MB.

damned
May 20th, 2019, 04:01
Can you edit any of the XML files? Will they let you write changes and save them?

Magentawolf
May 20th, 2019, 04:05
Can you edit any of the XML files? Will they let you write changes and save them?

Yes, I don't seem to have any issues making changes to the files. The changes persist after saving and re-opening them.

damned
May 20th, 2019, 04:09
Sorry... I have no further lines of inquiry...

LordEntrails
May 20th, 2019, 05:14
A WAG, but after you have joined one of the campaigns can you open the XML files and see anything strange? You might also need to reach out to [email protected] to help further investigate.

Trenloe
May 20th, 2019, 17:56
If I close the character selection window and then open it up again, it's empty.
When this happens ask the GM to clear the ownership of your PC (they right-click on it in the GM's character management window and select clear owner).

Then you (as the player) close and re-open the character management window - does your PC appear now?

Also, check the last modified date/time of the Campaign.dat file in your campaign cache - has that been modified when you logged in, or is it still showing the date/time of the last/first time you connected after clearing the campaign cache?

Mirloc
May 28th, 2019, 13:57
The first time I connect to a host, everything works fine, but on subsequent connections, I am unable to select my character even though I can see it, and no chat that I produce shows up in the window. If I close the character selection window and then open it up again, it's empty.

Clearing that campaign's cache folder solves this problem, but given that I have to do so before every session, I'm trying to figure out the issue here.

Where is the FG folder structure residing on your system, did you accept the defaults or did you move it elsewhere on your PC?

It almost sounds like you are running out of room on the drive where the data is stored.