PDA

View Full Version : LFP: PF (1E) Crypt of the Everflame (~ 4 sessions), weekday (TUE?) 5 PM GMT

stephan_
May 18th, 2019, 12:09
Details of your scenario: Your group of adventurers from the town of Kassen has to perform an old tradition in which you retrieve a piece of the eternal flame burning in the tomb of the town's founder. Yet when you arrive there, you find only the corpses of their fellow townsfolk, dead bandits, and mysterious animated skeletons. You must brave the traps and perils of the Crypt of the Everflame, discover the source of the corruption that has awakened an ancient evil, and defeat a menace that seeks vengeance against Kassen and its people.

Caveat: Please note that my knowledge of PF 1 rules is rusty and partially overlapped by other game systems or editions. Unless it is vitally important to the survival of a character we'll however go with quick decisions during game time and resolve any other questions after the game. If you know you want to use rules that depend on GM interpretation, I'd appreciate it if you discussed them with me outside of the game.

FG License: Ultimate (players only need demo)

Game System: Pathfinder (1E)

GM Time Zone: GMT +2

Day of week and time: Weekdays (current plan: TUE) 5 PM GMT (another weekday and time +-1 hour might also be possible, be sure to state any requests below).

If new game, planned start date: Session 0 on TUE May 28th, 5 PM GMT (if there are enough players by then)

Planned Duration & Frequency: 3-4 hour sessions for 3-4 weeks

Term: Short term (3-4 weeks)

Attendance: Life can always get in the way but due to the short run please make sure you can make all (or at most all but one) of the sessions. If you don't show up without prior notice and there is no important reason (personal, work, family, technical, ...), I also reserve the right to accept a player on the waiting list instead. If several players can't make a specific week, we might reschedule but don't count on that.

Text or Voice: Voice

Voice software used: Teamspeak (Discord if Teamspeak is down)

Will this be recorded and/or live streamed? No

Roleplay & Combat mix: Due to the scenario most likely more combat than RP, maybe 2/3 combat, 1/3 RP.

Number of Players in game & needed: 3-5 (if there are only 3 players, you'll get an additional pregen to pilot)

Character creation: We will use the 4d6 (drop lowest) in order method. So for each ability score (starting with STR, followed by DEX, CON, INT, WIS and CHA) roll 4d6, discard the lowest number and add the three remaining numbers up. Example for the 1st roll: 2-3-3-5: STR 11. Please be aware that opposed to the standard method, you can't assign the number to any ability score, you have to roll for ability scores in order. (This most likely means you won't be guaranteed to play a certain class - unless you accept a low main ability score of course.)

In order to alleviate any bad rolls, you can reroll all ability scores if 1. you don't get a 15 on one ability score or 2. the total of your ability modifiers is less than +2.

So

STR: 9 (-1), DEX: 15 (+2), CON: 8 (-1), INT: 8 (-1), WIS: 14 (+2), CHA: 9 (-1) reroll as total modifiers 0<2

STR: 14 (+2), DEX: 14 (+2), CON: 14 (+2), INT: 14 (+2), WIS: 14 (+2), CHA: 14 (+2) reroll as no ability score >= 15 (note that you can choose not to reroll however)

STR: 9 (-1), DEX: 15 (+2), CON: 8 (-1), INT: 8 (-1), WIS: 14 (+2), CHA: 13 (+1) OK, no reroll

As a last-ditch effort, I as the GM will roll ability scores following the same rules in advance (to save time). The GM has to reroll if it does not meet the requirements mentioned above. Without you having seen the GM's rolls (only your own), you can then decide to discard your rolls and take the GM's rolls instead (sight unseen). This decision is binding (so you can't simply take the better of the two, you have to decide after you rolled and before you were shown the GM's roll. (Please note there is no guarantee that I'll roll better than you.)

If a character dies (in a not-obviously-suicidal-way, e.g. after the GM asked whether you're sure you want to do that) feel free to use the 15 Points Purchase Ability Score Method instead.

Character starting level & equipment: Level 1. Starting wealth as listed in table 6-1.

Character restrictions: I have the CRB module, anything from this source should be fine. If you want to use anything from other Paizo books, 1. please discuss it with me (reasonable requests should be fine, e.g. everything that also would be PFS legal) and 2. make sure you have the ressources to build the character yourself (you own the FG modules, there are SRD modules, you are willing to code anything relevant yourself, ...).

Characters also should be able to work together as part of a group.

Ties with the other characters will be created in session 0. You are free to come up with your own ties to 2 other party members, otherwise we'll roll for it randomly.

Link to Gamecalendar page: here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/index.xcp?id=3489)

How to apply: Please apply both here as well on the game calendar, stating your availability. Be sure to include a one paragraph character concept that is more than a description of your desired class (but be prepared to throw it out of the window after you rolled your ability scores). Please explicitly state that you have read the character creation rules.

Future plans: Most likely no direct continuation afterwards. If everything goes extremely well (but no promises) maybe followed by the rest of the Price of Immortality trilogy. Don't count on it however.

Edit: Currently all spots filled but feel free to apply to the waiting list should anyone drop out (which is always a possibility).

volt875
May 23rd, 2019, 04:14
Do you want the paragraph as a pm or in the forum?

stephan_
May 23rd, 2019, 07:58
No preference either way, you can pick the one yo prefer.

Be aware though that the chances of getting enough players by Tuesday are pretty low.

Yardaantex
May 23rd, 2019, 21:09
Character desc: Human Arcane Sorcerer
Apparently all thing rob off even magic, you see my parents where wizards, may they rest in peace, and though an experiment gone horribly wrong I now live with my aunt in this town. The special thing about me is where wizards study for there arcane powers I just seem to have them, my aunt says I've been born with them but I'm not so sure. So here in Kassen my aunt continued her studies and even help me out where possible. So a bunch of experiments and unforeseen side effects led to some rumours over the years. So now with the festival coming up we decided that it is a great opportunity to show the town that we main well and don't want to cause harm and are willing to extend an helping hand.

I've read and understood the character creation part.

Cheers,
Yardantex

stephan_
May 24th, 2019, 06:43
Thanks.

As already mentioned, we'll probably wait until we have 3-4 interested players before deciding anything (in particular starting time).

volt875
May 26th, 2019, 14:06
Shoot so I totally misread the time slot. I added instead of subtracted for my time zone so no way I can do it. Sorry.

stephan_
May 26th, 2019, 19:02
Alright, thanks.

One person interested so far.

As a session 0 in the immediate future seems to be unlikely, I'll probably run some 5E one-shots in the meantime.

Yardaantex
May 27th, 2019, 16:46
Sad to hear that you can't make it.

I don't mind waiting for a bit on the session 0, but I would like to stick around for the one shots.

FuzzyBunny
May 29th, 2019, 17:03
new to Pathfinder but wiling to learn and fits my schedule (finally)

Which throws the character paragraph out the window as I have no idea about pathfinder classes.
But I am a quick study.

stephan_
May 29th, 2019, 22:04
Alright, thanks.

We're slowly reaching the necessary numbers so I'll most likely post a doodle link here tomorrow to try to coordinate times.

stephan_
May 29th, 2019, 22:51
Doodle created. (https://doodle.com/poll/26veexcma4as8k8m)

Please note that I used next week as an example week. It is unlikely (but not impossible) that we'll be able to have the session 0 next week. After we've narrowed down the weekday, we can discuss the specifics (starting week, 1/2 hour later/earlier, only 3 hours, ...). Therefore please indicate your expected availability for most weeks (checkmark - usually available, checkmark in paranthesis - mostly available, no checkmark - usually not available), not the specific week.

Starting times should be 4, 5 and 6 PM GMT.

FuzzyBunny
May 30th, 2019, 19:14
sounds good. Need to research the classes before then.

stephan_
June 5th, 2019, 09:14
@everyone: If you are interested I suggest you fill out the doodle. There is a significant difference between "3-4 people are interested" and "3-4 people that are available at the same time are interested".

The doodle does not represent one particular week but your availability in general.

Artaron
June 5th, 2019, 12:12
Filled the Doodle !

Inlike Flynn
June 5th, 2019, 22:36
Hey, I would like to play either a Half Elf or Human, Ranger or Sorcerer. I've got a few ideas for my background but would like to tie in with everyone before setting it in stone!
Hopefully all goes well.

thunderbolt
June 5th, 2019, 23:44
how do I get a refund I couldn't load it

FuzzyBunny
June 6th, 2019, 06:59
OK, as I am new to FG and Pathfinder... what is a doodle and where do I find it?

Artaron
June 6th, 2019, 08:47
OK, as I am new to FG and Pathfinder... what is a doodle and where do I find it?

@FuzzyBunny this is the Doodle Link shared by Stephan https://doodle.com/poll/26veexcma4as8k8m

You can go in there and mark your availability for the different days/timeslots

FuzzyBunny
June 6th, 2019, 08:56
I see, its not on this site, but a separate site.

stephan_
June 6th, 2019, 12:24
Correct, it's simply more convenient to use doodle if there are a lot of options, not the FG game calendar. You don't need an account to use it though.

It currently looks like FR 5 PM GMT has the highest chance of happening, followed by TUE 5 PM GMT.

Honestly, FR seems to be one of the likeliest days for people to be occupied otherwise but unless there are any changes to the doodle in the near future, I'd go with that day of the week.

Once we determine the day of the week, I'll most likely create a second doodle to poll about the preferred specific dates.

A session 0 tomorrow looks highly unlikely, so I would tentatively say June 21st, June 28th, July 12th, July 19th or July 26th seem to probable dates.

If it turns out to be on TUE, I could e.g. offer June 11th, June 18th, June 25th, July 9th, July 16th or 23rd.

Due to the "possibly" responses in the doodle, we might have to go back to the drawing board if we don't have at least three people that can make one specific date.

how do I get a refund I couldn't load it

I suggest you contact support.

FuzzyBunny
June 6th, 2019, 18:15
I had never heard of doodle, I thought you had a quick drawing some where.
Tue 5pm is also good, its 11am for me. I get off work at 9 so have 2 hours to get home.

stephan_
June 7th, 2019, 22:50
New Doodle with specific dates for the first sessions. (https://doodle.com/poll/qht9rdn5qd92ttid)

@everyone: Please fill it out to determine when our fist sessions will most likely be. I restricted it to June for now as plans for July are still likely to change over time.

There will be at most one session per week but please mark every time you likely would be available to make scheduling easier.

Please note that if we can't consistently get 3-4 players for a specific weekday (TUE, THU or FR), we might have to change weekdays depending on the week and/or skip weeks. Scheduling games can be the most difficult aspect.

Session 0 will likely be shorter than regular sessions as it seems unlikely that all players will decide on their characters immediately.

Adjusting times a little bit (e.g. start/end time +- 30 minutes) is possible as long as it still reasonable.

Inlike Flynn
June 7th, 2019, 23:10
If we can put forward the start time on Tuesdays by 30 mins I can make those also. I'm at GMT+1, I finish work at 5 so 6:30 would give me a chance to get home and ready to play.

Artaron
June 8th, 2019, 13:10
Sounds good to me !

stephan_
June 8th, 2019, 14:43
Alright, thanks. The responses so far point towards TUE 11th and 25th as the first two sessions.

Yes, 5.30 PM GMT (if I understood you correctly, Inlike Flynn) would still give us enough time to run for around 3.30 hours (assuming everyone shows up on time of course).

Inlike Flynn
June 8th, 2019, 15:01
sounds good

Yardaantex
June 8th, 2019, 21:00
Now I am confused about the starting time, (lets blame summer time) either is fine for me.
So I live in GMT+1 time zone, with summertime that makes it +2.
So my question is, is the summer time taken into account with the original starting time, or is the time displayed on the doodle the one to go by?

Artaron
June 8th, 2019, 22:07
I'll let Stephan answer for sure, but I also go with the one from Doodle. The timezone should not be changing with Summer time. I'm also good either way

stephan_
June 8th, 2019, 22:46
Simple answer: This link. (https://www.worldtimebuddy.com/?qm=1&lid=0,2643743,2950159&h=2643743&date=2019-6-11&sln=18.5-22)

Germany is only one example, most European countries (including the Netherlands) should be the same.

Longer answer: The doodle SHOULD adjust to your local timezone. To confirm though: The GMT time (5.30) would be +2 for you, so 7.30 PM.

jakemtl
June 9th, 2019, 05:18
Well met young Kassenites! - I know that I am not like you or from around here, so let me introduce mylsef. I am called Tanis. My parents are the elven emmisaries here from the Fang Wood of Nirmathas looking for aid and allies to help protect our people from the imperialistic master, Nirmathas the VIII, who threatens us with constant war unless we capitulate to his rule. The stories of the strenght and resolve of Kassen's Hold are highly regarded amoung my people, and the fear is, should the impending war go not in our favour, you may be seeing more of my kind here before many more moons. The timing of these talks is fortuitous for me since it coincides with your old tradition of capture the flame from the Kassen's Tomb. I am super excited to be a part of this, and to mark this event as my rite of passage. You see, I have never really had a chance to adventure with other young people my age. I am barely in my 70's yet, and so just as young as your are! What's more my parents think tht joining you on this rite of passage will be an excellent way to foster good will between your people and mine own, and help them in their mission to gain allies and close friends. So let's not dally, we have a flame to ignite!

I hereby explicitly state that I have read the character creation rules.

Artaron
June 9th, 2019, 07:18
With Jake having agreed to join us, here is what the party looks like :

Artaron - Paladin/Bloodrager (think Thor)
Jake - Rogue type
Yardaantex - Sorcerer
Inlike Flynn - Ranger or Sorcerer
FuzzyBunny - Open

FuzzyBunny if you're new to the system and open to ideas, going into a crypt we could use a divine caster to channel energy to heal the party and harm undead.
An Oracle is easy to play and does that just great

stephan_
June 9th, 2019, 09:51
Alright, so to confirm: The first session would be on TUE 11th of June 5.30 PM GMT (added to the game calendar).

If you want to speed up character creation, I can arrange for you to log into the PF server and do your rolls and/or construct your character. You can do so during reasonable GMT +2 times today (with some advance warning) with the exception of 1-7 PM GMT (as I'm running a game). This also applies to tomorrow (holiday in some countries) with the possible exception of tomorrow evening.

You can of course also decide to create your character on TUE after you had a quick discussion with the other players.

By popular request I'm also allowing point buy (20). Please note that this is statistically a little bit weaker than the specific 4d6 drop the lowest method stated before but has the significant advantage that you can arrange you stats however you want to.

How long the session zero on TUE lasts depends on how many players will already have characters and whether we already start with the adventure or not.

By the way, as I expect a lot of us not having played PF1 in recent times (but other pretty similar rulesets instead), expect some rule confusions. Unless they will have a significant impact I'll however go with a quick ruling in case of unclear rules as I assume most people want to play the game, not discuss rules.

stephan_
June 10th, 2019, 16:11
Session 0 will be in 26 hours and 20 minutes, so be sure to double check your time zones:

5.30 PM GMT
6.30 PM UK
7.30 PM Western Europe

Confirmed characters so far:

Tanis (Rogue) - jakemtl

Saityr (Sorcerer) - Yardaantex

You can also choose two traits from two different categories here (https://paizo.com/download/pathfinder/CharacterTraits.zip).

Edit: Contact details (including Teamspeak server and FG alias) can be found under GM Announcements in the game calendar.

FuzzyBunny
June 10th, 2019, 20:49
can you open the server today so i can roll my chr?

stephan_
June 10th, 2019, 21:19
The server is up.

FuzzyBunny
June 10th, 2019, 22:28
the server info?

stephan_
June 10th, 2019, 22:32
See Game calendar (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/index.xcp?id=3489) - GM Announcements - Technical details.

stephan_
June 11th, 2019, 17:50
The server is up.

stephan_
June 12th, 2019, 11:14
Next game scheduled for TUE June 18th 5.30 PM GMT (6.30 PM UK, 7.30 PM Western Europe) added to the game calendar.

FuzzyBunny
June 18th, 2019, 17:54
is it still on for today?

stephan_
June 18th, 2019, 18:14
Yes, in 15 minutes.

To confirm: The server should be up.

stephan_
June 18th, 2019, 22:14
Next game TUE June 25th 5.30 PM GMT.

Unless the dice roll luck shifts towards you probably still two sessions to go.

No game on the 2nd of July.

stephan_
June 24th, 2019, 23:31
Reminder about the next game on TUE June 25th 5.30 PM GMT.

If you can't make it be sure to notify me so I know whether to start the game or not.

As already mentioned no game on July 2nd.

stephan_
June 25th, 2019, 17:32
As two players had to cancel for today on short notice due to work: I'll have the server up in around 30 minutes but there is the possibility that there is no game today due to lack of players.

stephan_
June 25th, 2019, 19:05
Confirmation: Unfortunately no game today, next game scheduled in two weeks.

FuzzyBunny
June 27th, 2019, 22:31
I had to cover for 2 people on Vacation all week. Yesterday I was assigned 3 shifts back to back, so could not make it and did not sleep for over 42 hours. But they will be back Monday so will be available again

stephan_
June 27th, 2019, 22:44
It happens and is always a risk especially for weeknight games.

As already mentioned next game on TUE July 9th.

stephan_
July 9th, 2019, 11:25
Reminder about the game today.

If you can't make it, please let me know in advance.

stephan_
July 9th, 2019, 17:58
The server is up.

stephan_
July 9th, 2019, 18:33
Calling all players.

stephan_
July 12th, 2019, 16:47
As mentioned in the PMs, if you haven't done so already, please let me know whether you A. are still interested in the game in general and B. can make the next game on TUE July 16th 5.30 PM GMT.

jakemtl
July 12th, 2019, 17:30
Tuesday, July 16th, 5:30pm GMT allows me to play until 7:00pm GMT and then return to the game at 8:30pm GMT until it ends. Also it is dependant on me not having emergency calls to attend to for work. I really want to play and will accomodate as best I can. However I do not want to hold a spot that another player could take, and then not show up in the end. So if there are too many players for this time slot, then I will bow out. If there is an available slot for me and it is not too much of an interruption to have me leave in the middle, then please count me in!