PDA

View Full Version : Image question

DwightLee
May 17th, 2019, 09:49
I just purchased Traveller and coming across something i did not see in 5E

When I drag an image into the images folder the picture quality drops substantially ( deck plans made in CC3 )

I may be doing something wrong

Trenloe
May 17th, 2019, 13:54
What is the pixel resolution of the image (width x height)?

What image type is it, JPG or PNG?

Try the same image in a 5E campaign - do you see the same quality drop?

When the image is opened in FG, right click and select Image resize -> original size. Does this make any difference?

DwightLee
May 17th, 2019, 14:12
Trenloe, I think it is my own issue, after fiddling with it a while, I had to do the same thing in FG 5E, cut the picture into smaller bits so when you zoom in it does not lose all definition, I will try what you suggest also.

I am looking at deck plans that I want to use in battlemap style.

I have tried both JPG and PNG

in 5E it used to give me this huge picture that I could make the window smaller and you scroll around in, Traveller seems to just make the picture smaller, but when you zoom in it loses all fine detail.

Perhaps there is a better way for me to save the image in CC3

Trenloe
May 17th, 2019, 14:31
What resolution is the image?

DwightLee
May 17th, 2019, 14:35
when I save the image in CC3 it is 96 pix per inch, but it is nothing like that when I load it into FG

Trenloe
May 17th, 2019, 14:43
DPI (dots per inch) don’t really mean much for maps that won’t be printed out. What is the width x height of the image?

Maybe it’s better for you to attach the image in question, as we seem to not be communicating clearly and we can look at the actual image you’re having issues with.

DwightLee
May 17th, 2019, 15:04
LOL probably because I am fairly new at this, I appreciate your attempt to help. not your issue, im just a newb at some of this stuff. Let me mess with it some more... it isnt any different than 5E now that I look at it. in CC3 when you zoom in, there is no loss in resolution, but that isnt a JPEG or BMP it is a CC3 file. So in CC3 I think I have this fantastically clear image regardless of zoom, but when you import that into FG it loses all resolution when you zoom in ( as would be expected ) as soon as I save it as a PGN or JPEG and look at it in windows... same issue as in FG, so It inst an issue with FG or Traveller at all.

DwightLee
May 17th, 2019, 15:16
The way I got around this in my homebrew 5E campaign was to cut the image from CC3 using windows snip, and save chunks of the image to use individually, like this... this is usable as a battlemap but is not the whole image. If you know a better way... I am all ears :)

Zacchaeus
May 17th, 2019, 15:16
When you Save As in CC3+ select jpg from the Save as Type Drop down menu. Then click on Options to open the options dialog. In the Width and Height boxes add in values which are 50 or 100 times the size of your map in CC3+. So if you drew a map in CC3+ which is 120 ft. x 80 ft. then enter 1200x800 or 600 x 400 for the width and height. (100 times is better). Tick the antialias box and set it at 50%; tick the Crop image to aspect ratio and Restrict image to map border check boxes. Finally set the JPEG quality to 75%. This should give you fairly decent results when imported into FG.

Edit: Note that if you need to chop the map into smaller chumks to make it smaller after you have exported it then it would be best to use something like GIMP to do the chopping. In the main it is better to draw smaller maps in CC3+ rather than have to chop a bigger one up later.

Trenloe
May 17th, 2019, 15:26
Yep, you need to use CC3 export settings that are relevant for your image. And always try to keep the images you load into FG to 2048x2048 pixels or less.

More info on all of this here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?38564-Best-export-file-and-size-for-CC3-to-FG

And here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?26993-Advice-on-setting-up-CC3-for-scaling-tp-FG

DwightLee
May 17th, 2019, 15:27
You are causing huge problems! ... because now I have to name my next child Zacchaeus, my wife is going to divorce me and the lawyers will take half of my retirement fund!!!

Translation- That worked!!! :D

That is what I have been looking for a year playing FG and building my games

p.s. I still have minor fiddling to do but yeah... that is everything I was looking for Thanks to both of you guys for being patient with an old coot like me !!!