PDA

View Full Version : How do you set up crafting system?

Gaedel1
May 14th, 2019, 22:47
I want to create a crafting system. My guess is to use the Forge, but not sure how to set up the templates.

Example:
Take a silver ore, add diamond you create a diamond ring with +1 to all saves.
Take gold ore, add diamond you create gold necklace with +2 to all saves.

Can this be done?

With Forge, add the 2 items in left box, template in right box, create the item. Does it work? How do you set up template for 2 items?

Zacchaeus
May 14th, 2019, 23:12
The Forge only works provided the items are all of the same type. More information on using the Forge here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Item_Sheet#Using_The_Forge

LordEntrails
May 14th, 2019, 23:34
Nothing in FG, the forge included, know that 1 silver ore + 1 diamond equals anything.

What the forge does allow you to do is take a flametongue and a +2 sword and combine them into one sword. Or a Necklace of Fireballs and a Necklace of Prayer Beads into one necklace.

Gaedel1
May 14th, 2019, 23:43
I did read that. So...

Silver ore:
Type: Crafting
Subtype: Ore
Description: Used for crafting.

Diamond:
Subtype: Gems
Description: This gemstone is transparent blue-white, canary, pink, brown, or blue in color. Rare, translucent, and incredibly resilient, diamond forms a bulwark against all manner of magical effects. (all resistances)

Template:
Name: Silver Diamond Ring of Resistance
Type: Equipment
Subtype: Ring
Description: Crafted ring offers +1 to all resistances.

I add the Silver Ore item and the Diamond item to the left hand box of the Forge, then the template to the right hand box and combine. This creates two new items, one with the "Ore" information:

Name: Silver Ore [Silver Diamond Ring of Resistance]
Subtype: Ore
Description: Used for crafting.
Silver Diamond Ring of Resistance Notes
Crafted ring offers +1 to all resistances.

The second item uses the "Diamond" information:

Subtype: Gemstones
Description: This gemstone is transparent blue-white, canary, pink, brown, or blue in color. Rare, translucent, and incredibly resilient, diamond forms a bulwark against all manner of magical effects. (all resistances)
Silver Diamond Ring of Resistance Notes
Crafted ring offers +1 to all resistances.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What changes should I make so it makes one magic item with the following stats:

Type: Equipment
Subtype: Ring
Description: Crafted ring offers +1 to all resistances.

Is it possible or will it not work with Fantasy Grounds?

Zacchaeus
May 15th, 2019, 00:14
It won’t work. As I said above both sides must have the same item type (subtype is ignored). So your ring, and both ores would need to be the same type.

Gaedel1
May 15th, 2019, 00:20
Hmm...

I removed the Type, Subtype, and Description in both the Silver Ore and Diamond (so nothing in those fields), kept the Type: Equipment and Subtype: Ring in the template, and it allowed me to combine. It still created two items, but the diamond version created one like I wanted, but the second one, the Ore version wasn't what I was looking for. I could just delete this item and keep the first one.

But if the Type needs to be the same, I wonder why it allowed me to do this combine...

Zacchaeus
May 15th, 2019, 00:40
I would need to play around with it but i’m Not close to a computer. I suspect because the type was blank.

mattekure
May 17th, 2019, 19:56
The forge logic for checking whether the two items are compatible is slightly more complicated than just looking at the item type. The code takes a look at some of the items fields and assigns each one a "compatibility type". Both objects have to be the same compatibility type in order for the forge to allow them to combine. the current list of compability types and how they are assigned is here.

Compatibility Type: armor
Requirements - Item type: armor

Compatibility Type: weapon
Requirements - (Item type: weapon) OR (Item type: adventuring gear AND item subtype ammunition)

Compatibility Type: arcane focus
Requirements - (item type contains: rod, staff, wand) OR (item type: adventuring gear AND item subtype: arcane focus)

Compatibility Type: ring
Requirements - item type: ring

Compatibility Type: potion
Requirements - item type: potion OR (item type: adventuring gear AND (item name contains:”potion” OR “bottle” OR “flask” OR “vial” OR “oil”)

Compatibility Type: scroll
Requirements - item type: scroll OR (item type: adventuring gear AND (item name contains “scroll” OR “paper”)

Compatibility Type: adventuring gear
Requirements - item type: wondrous item OR item type: adventuring gear

Compatibility Type: Blank
If the type is left blank.

Any item that doesn't meet the requirements to resolve as one of the above compatibility types will not be able to be used in the forge. there is no generic compatibility type.