PDA

View Full Version : Warlock Hex Guide!

i3ullseye
May 10th, 2019, 20:16
Just wrote this up. There is more than one way to skin a cat, but this is my way.

https://scarygoodtimes.com/warlock-hexes-for-fantasy-grounds/

Zacchaeus
May 10th, 2019, 21:24
Well done.

It's even more complex of course because you don't get hex damage for many spells so technically the effect should read IFT: CUSTOM (Hex); DMG: 1d6, necrotic, melee, ranged. However this would prevent some ranged spell attacks, for example Eldritch Blast, from getting the bonus so you may need a second effect missing out the ranged and melee and having a duration of on next roll to handle such situations. You could have both on permanently of course and just switch off the one that's not needed.

i3ullseye
May 13th, 2019, 13:11
Yeah, good catch. Is there any in system way to flag when an attack roll is made versus targeting a spell that requires a save? For example, instead of putting melee and ranged, just one word that says attack?

Zacchaeus
May 13th, 2019, 13:20
No. Attacks are divided up into melee and ranged. Spell saves are also a kind of attack and are sort of treated the same way but there's no effect that you can use to detect that.

i3ullseye
May 13th, 2019, 13:22
So a spell like Eldritch Blast, that requires a ranged spell attack roll, won't trigger as ranged for this purpose?

Zacchaeus
May 13th, 2019, 14:15
No, because it's a ranged spell attack not a ranged weapon attack. See the graphic. Bob has a +2 damage effect but you can see that he only gets the +2 on the Crossbow damage and not on the Eldritch Blast damage.

i3ullseye
May 13th, 2019, 14:22
Thanks for the follow up. So short of modifying each spell to have the IFT when applicable..... Sure, Warlocks don't get that many spells I suppose. But that just seems more trouble than it's worth hehe.