PDA

View Full Version : Help - OOTA Duergar Resilience

mobley
May 10th, 2019, 16:54
Running OOTA, when I add a Duergar encounter to the combat tracker, the only effect that shows is RESIST: poison. Looking at the NPC statblock it has the trait Duergar Resilience - "The duergar has advantage on saving throws against poison, spells, and illusions, as well as to resist being charmed or paralyzed."

So, questions:

1. Do I manually need to add these effects to the NPC on the combat tracker, and if so
2. Is that the case for all NPCs in the published WoTC modules?

Or am I missing something

LordEntrails
May 10th, 2019, 18:39
I'm pretty sure those resistances can not be added or controlled through effects (automatically) and that why they don't get parsed to the CT.

For instance, I'm pretty certain FG doesn't recognize "illusions" so their is no effect for that. I forget if poison is something that ADVSAV can be added to or not.

But, I can tell you Mr. Z or one of the effects gurus will be along shortly with 100% certainty. Until then, check out the wiki article and see if I missed something; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Effects

Moon Wizard
May 10th, 2019, 18:42
You can add the following effect to handle part of the duergar trait. Not all of the trait can be automated, and you'll need to add the effect manually. You can set the effect up in advance in the campaign effects list for easier application during play. This effect should handle most of the trait, except for saving throws against non-spell poison attacks.

Magic Resistance; IMMUNE: Charmed; IMMUNE: Paralyzed

EDIT: Updated based on feedback below. The effect above is only if you interpret resistance to charmed/paralyzed, as immunity to be charmed/paralyzed.
Otherwise, you should only use the following effect, and manually handle advantage non-magic saves (charm, paralyze, poison).

Magic Resistance

Regards,
JPG

LordEntrails
May 10th, 2019, 18:52
Moon is that the right effect? My understanding is the trait is advantage on saving throws (ADVSAV) not immunity. Or am I missing something?

Zacchaeus
May 10th, 2019, 20:31
I'm not sure what resistance to charmed or paralyzed means. In the elf trait for example it specifically says that you have advantage on saves vs charmed so I suppose in a way that is resistance to charmed. But you can't resist charmed all on it's own, so I assume it means that you get advantage on a save against being charmed. It could equally mean that you can't be charmed so MW's effects would be correct.

In any case as mentioned there isn't a way to code for such resistance or otherwise to being charmed or paralyzed since these are conditions. So all that you can do is make sure that you lcik the ADV button on when the NPC is about to make a saving throw which, if it ends in failure, would make them charmed or paralyzed.

You can add an effect of RESIST: magic which will give them advantage on saves vs magic. However this also gives them resistance to spell like effects as well which RAW they don't get; hence why it won't have been included.

So, in short, most of what they resist will need to be handled manually.

Moon Wizard
May 10th, 2019, 21:42
Updated my answer above. I was assuming "resistance" in this case, meant "immunity". It's unclear whether resistance means that the duergar are immune to that condition or get advantage on saves where failure applies that condition.

Regards,
JPG

LordEntrails
May 10th, 2019, 22:47
I tried searching for Sage Advice or errata with no results. But I did notice something, note the text says "as well as to resist". So I think that paying attention to that bolded word clarifies that it grants ADVSAV to actions/abilities that would charm or paralyze the duergar.