PDA

View Full Version : Supplement Modules

Desmodaeus
May 8th, 2019, 21:52
Are there plans to add any of the other monstrous compendiums, complete class books or any other stuff as official 2e modules in the future? Just wondering, because this will determine if I purchase the modules or not. Thanks.

celestian
May 8th, 2019, 23:04
Are there plans to add any of the other monstrous compendiums, complete class books or any other stuff as official 2e modules in the future? Just wondering, because this will determine if I purchase the modules or not. Thanks.

The class handbooks are on the list. Fighter, Thief and Wizard have been submitted to QA, Priest should be submitted by mid-next week. I am working on the Ranger's handbook and hope to have it submitted week after the priest. After I've those items checked off I plan to re-focus on ToEE to make a few sanity passes (it's mostly done).

For my part that's what on the list for the immediate future. We do have a large "Wishlist" of items that some folks other than me have begun to work on. That wishlist does include some other supplements including monstrous annuals, book of race* and book of lairs*.

Desmodaeus
May 9th, 2019, 00:06
The class handbooks are on the list. Fighter, Thief and Wizard have been submitted to QA, Priest should be submitted by mid-next week. I am working on the Ranger's handbook and hope to have it submitted week after the priest. After I've those items checked off I plan to re-focus on ToEE to make a few sanity passes (it's mostly done).

For my part that's what on the list for the immediate future. We do have a large "Wishlist" of items that some folks other than me have begun to work on. That wishlist does include some other supplements including monstrous annuals, book of race* and book of lairs*.

Awesome! Good to hear.

JohnD
May 13th, 2019, 19:58
Thief and Wizard handbooks are now in the FG store.

Frankison
May 14th, 2019, 00:21
Getting these right when I get home :o

Frankison
May 14th, 2019, 18:01
Picked these up yesterday :0) (Fighter, Wizard, and Thief) I noticed that you guys are hiding the TSR logos on the thumbnails, looks like you missed one of them though, think it was the Thief Handbook IIRC. The books look really good, I had converted all of the Race handbooks for castles and crusades, but after looking at how outstanding this rule set is I will be coming back to 2e. I imagine the Race Handbooks are also in the works? I can use mine for now, but they aren't as polished as yours.

I just want to say I'm really happy to see the 2E data finally getting an official release in FG. Its always been my favorite system and I always seem to come back to it. You've done a really good job with it, I can tell you are passionate about the ruleset.

celestian
May 14th, 2019, 19:09
The books look really good, I had converted all of the Race handbooks for castles and crusades, but after looking at how outstanding this rule set is I will be coming back to 2e. I imagine the Race Handbooks are also in the works? I can use mine for now, but they aren't as polished as yours.

I do plan to concert those as well but it's going to be a while. Finishing up Priest and Ranger handbooks for submission then I want to shift gears for an adventure or two.

mozmonar
May 14th, 2019, 19:44
I purchased the 3 core books. Haven't had a chance to fire it up and dig in yet. Have you included psionics? If not do you plan to do so? Dark Sun calls to me and my players.

celestian
May 14th, 2019, 19:56
I purchased the 3 core books. Haven't had a chance to fire it up and dig in yet. Have you included psionics? If not do you plan to do so? Dark Sun calls to me and my players.

It's not on my TODO list but another content dev can pick it up and work on it. I spent a few months last summer writing in support for the Darksun (revised) psionic system so the features exist for when they do that product version of psionics.

mozmonar
May 14th, 2019, 20:47
This may be obvious when I actually get a chance to open it in FG (at work currently) but are you saying the mechanics for psionics is already in place but actual psionic content is not? Is it possible now to make a psionicist and/or add psionic powers within the current rule set?

celestian
May 14th, 2019, 20:58
This may be obvious when I actually get a chance to open it in FG (at work currently) but are you saying the mechanics for psionics is already in place but actual psionic content is not? Is it possible now to make a psionicist and/or add psionic powers within the current rule set?

You can yes, the powers are just "spells" of type Psionic. There are several other bits related (MAC/MTHACO/etc) on the character/npc sheets.

It's not "officially" supported yet but the functionality is there.

Topdecker
May 15th, 2019, 21:05
I am going to toss my two-cents out here...

At $20 per title, I am not buying any of the COMPLETE books. Logically, these books are close to an all or nothing, at least where named classes are concerned. (It doesn't make sense to have Bard kits but no Ranger kits, for instance.) So, if someone can reason that it will cost $300 to own all 15 books in FG and they decide that it is too expensive, they probably are going to completely opt out from buying any of the books.

Anyhow, at $20 a book, you are going to get 100% of nothing from me.

Vackipleur
May 16th, 2019, 02:13
Think the same as Topdecker... At 10$ maybe I'd buy any Complete books (same price as on DTRPG) but at 20 bucks no chance :(

Beerbelly
May 16th, 2019, 02:18
I have to say I was really looking forward to the Complete books line coming out, but at $20, wow. To have to have each player drop $20 for each class, that is crazy. I appreciate how much work went into them, but Top makes a good point. I can see maybe that much for the book of humanoids, as that can be used by all players if they choose, but the class books, it is about double what I believe it should be.

No1Sciguy
May 16th, 2019, 15:02
I think a bundle deal for these, like we see for the 5E content, might be a nice middle ground here.

Frankison
May 16th, 2019, 16:05
It was mentioned that they would like around 10 products before offering a bundle.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?48924-AD-amp-D-2E-Officially-Licensed-Ruleset-and-Content/page4

Topdecker
May 16th, 2019, 19:50
If they bundled just the COMPLETE PHB books, it would be $255 for all of them with the standard 15% discount.

Just my opinion, but if they add them to a generic bundle, their inclusion will hurt the sales of the generic bundle. Besides, there are plenty of different ways to bundle things in 2e (Ravenloft books, Birthright books, Planescape books, Complete PHBs, Player Options for D&D 2.5, the DM reference books, the Complete Wizard/Priest spells, and so on) that make more sense than an all-or-nothing heap of random stuff.

Beerbelly
May 17th, 2019, 01:16
Even bundling them wouldn't fix the actual issue. Think about it this way: The PHB, MM, and DMG are $20 each. Each of those books are used by everyone in the game, players and DMs alike. PHB has the class info, the DMG has the loot info, and the MM has the Encounter info. Any given group only "needs" one of each of these.

Now the Handbooks are $20 each. In a 5 person group, 1 DM and 4 players (or 5 player or 6 players, etc) generally speaking, you usually only have 1 fighter, 1 wizard, 1 rogue, 1 priest, 1 paladin, etch. Even if you have 2 of each of those, each of these Handbooks are being used by 1-2 players at most. And they are used at creation, and not much beyond that. Where's the value?

If the PHB/MM/DMG are $20 values, than these should be between 25-50% of that cost. Really, at $10/each, they would be valued well. $15/each with a bundle option available to bring the cost down to $10 would make sense also - to encourage buying the bundle. Especially when you have a Handbook bundle option, which would be a very nice value.

Even originally, they were $18 each and the MM was $25 and the DMG was $20.

This is just my opinion, of course.

JohnD
May 17th, 2019, 03:28
I suspect WotC mandates a large part of the price point. As someone who will be buying what I can, if my wife leaves me any money that is, it would be nice at a lower price point, but a lot of work does go into preparing each book for the store. So, I don't know where the happy medium is.

damned
May 17th, 2019, 15:06
There are many factors that go into determining a price point for a product.
As consumers we can spend our money one time only so we have to choose what is the best use of our money.
Trying to determine how someone else has valued a product is unlikely to achieve a result.
The IP holders in turn have to work out how to get what they need from the product.

Maybe the splat books are overpriced?
Maybe the Core Rulebooks are underpriced.
Maybe the Core Rulebooks will sell 20x the number of units the splat books will and so can still make more money.

You dont need the splat books. And if you already have the physical/pdf splat books you can spend time on entering the data you want/need yourself.
And as a GM you should not feel obligated to do all the spending. If a player wants to run that Fighter variant (and its ok with you as the GM) then they can go and buy the book.

Topdecker
May 17th, 2019, 15:54
Maybe the Core Rulebooks will sell 20x the number of units the splat books will and so can still make more money.

You dont need the splat books. And if you already have the physical/pdf splat books you can spend time on entering the data you want/need yourself.
And as a GM you should not feel obligated to do all the spending. If a player wants to run that Fighter variant (and its ok with you as the GM) then they can go and buy the book.

I think that the message has largely been that a number of us would buy the entire line of 15 books @ $10 a book. At a higher price, we're buying none of the books. We all like the product line, want it to be successful, and would pay not an insignificant amount of money for infrequently used rules support. So the message is that we like what you guys are doing, and please don't misunderstand our lack of purchasing enthusiasm as anything other than our reaction to the unexpectedly high price of the product.

And yes, imo the core books are underpriced given the depth of features. They would still be a great value at $25, ok at $30.

Asterionaisien
May 17th, 2019, 18:32
I would like to add that i'm conflicted too about the price of the supplements.
While i find the prices of the core books perfectly fine - I plan to buy them as soon i'm able- I consider the prices of the complete line a bit excessive.
My consideration s bi-fold:

1) They are old books .. in digital format! As a reference comparable newer books costs 50% of that, for example many savage worlds, like the fantasy companion or the super companion.

2) they are extremely specialized in content. Is hard to justify spending 20$ for something that maybe you will and a single player use 2-3 times in a year long campaign. And the price tag double if i want to use a racial book too! I would buy easily them , or discuss with the players about some bucks for a 10$ one, but 20$ each splat for a old game..not so much. Twenty dollars, in my opinion, is perfectly fine for a core-sized book or setting.
This does not means i do not appreciate the hard work put into them, just I consider them hard to justify to myself or others.
Also, I do own the paper books, so, exactly because I do own them is cheaper to input myself the 2-3 things I would use and..not buy the books instead of buying them and saving my time and give support to the line.

Cheers.

Beerbelly
May 17th, 2019, 22:42
There are many factors that go into determining a price point for a product.
As consumers we can spend our money one time only so we have to choose what is the best use of our money.
Trying to determine how someone else has valued a product is unlikely to achieve a result.
The IP holders in turn have to work out how to get what they need from the product.

If we the consumers don't voice our disappointment and opinion, you won't know why we don't buy them. There seems to be an almost condescending tone in your reply in telling us we don't have to buy the products, as if we don't already know that. The disappointment is in, as someone else pointed out, the price of these splat books compared to other, newer system books. Almost seems like Smite works is trying to gouge us old school gamers who have been dreaming about the day these things become available.

I will be entering the information as needed myself instead of spending the money on these books, for now at least. I know, as a most the time DM, I'm not expected to buy all the books (again, thanks for pointing that out), and maybe some in my group will want to spend that. I doubt it, but maybe. And now Smite Works knows my OPINION and why, afte spending hundreds of dollars already on 5E books, I'm not entering into 2E with the same enthusiasm.

Trenloe
May 18th, 2019, 15:06
Almost seems like Smite works is trying to gouge us old school gamers who have been dreaming about the day these things become available.
As has been mentioned in this thread already - WotC decides the price that their material sells for on FG, not SmiteWorks. Now, in the past, SmiteWorks have been able to get WotC to drop their prices on a few 5E FG products - after they’d been in the store for a while (even the popular selling ones). Maybe SmiteWorks will be able to, sometime in the future, get a reduction in some of the 2E material too. But this is just hearsay on my behalf, so don’t spend time waiting or expecting a price reduction outside of sales.

It’s OK to express you opinion on whether products are too expensive, etc.. I’ve done that in the past myself. But please keep it civil and don’t start throwing accusations around regarding trying to gouge a particular player base or anything else. Thanks.

mozmonar
May 24th, 2019, 21:27
You can yes, the powers are just "spells" of type Psionic. There are several other bits related (MAC/MTHACO/etc) on the character/npc sheets.

It's not "officially" supported yet but the functionality is there.

I have started entering in the various psionic powers from 2e materials. One thing that would be helpful would be a way to sort based on Disciplines and sciences vs. devotions. Spells can be sorted by sphere, school, and level but those distinctions are meaningless in psionics meaning all psionics are listed together alphabetically.. This may not be possible until psionics/Dark Sun is officially supported. However, doesn't hurt to put my request out there.

celestian
May 24th, 2019, 22:30
I have started entering in the various psionic powers from 2e materials. One thing that would be helpful would be a way to sort based on Disciplines and sciences vs. devotions. Spells can be sorted by sphere, school, and level but those distinctions are meaningless in psionics meaning all psionics are listed together alphabetically.. This may not be possible until psionics/Dark Sun is officially supported. However, doesn't hurt to put my request out there.

The functionally is there just commented out in the code for just such a day. I would have left it but it increased the clutter in the filters a good bit.

mozmonar
May 24th, 2019, 23:17
Perhaps you could have a toggle in the options so that non-psionics groups (likely the majority) can leave it less cluttered.

celestian
May 24th, 2019, 23:21
Perhaps you could have a toggle in the options so that non-psionics groups (likely the majority) can leave it less cluttered.

Until there is official support for it I'm holding off adding options. Someone could easily create an extension to enable it if they wanted to though.

sehmerus
May 25th, 2019, 06:02
I started a "AD&D2e Fantasy Grounds players" Facebook group. if your on Facebook and maybe want to find a THAC0 game or two. or just discuss ad&d 2e FG content feel free to join us..

Im currently using it to maybe start up a friday afternoon game.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/657808001350075/

Varsuuk
June 12th, 2019, 21:15
I’m a huge fan and bought the FG books just to support it as AD&D was my favorite game.

That said, I am not touching the Complete Books. They are too expensive since like others have said, I’d get most of not all and that’s too much for “support” and likely too much even if I ran games.

Not a dog at anyone ;) I am fairly confident pricing is constrained by outside forces.

I won’t be spending $300 or $225 on these. In particular, for much of it - I’d do it myself since I don’t need every piece of data for a single fro. It’s more of a reading book than a use one if I recall (meaning amount readable to amount usable in any one given group)

Merell
June 14th, 2019, 01:09
Guys, I agree it is a bit more than what most want to pay today for what essentially is a PDF form of the old material. But considering back in the day they were $15 a pop in book form, adding in inflation and adding in the time it takes to convert them, especially ones like the clerics handbook, it really is not that bad. I agree if you are only going to use them a few times a year that makes it worse but if you are going to support the Handbooks as a DM then I guess, aside from converting them on your own, you have a choice of using them or not. I think we have covered the "I am not going to buy them because". With luck as mentioned earlier they may come down in price with the blessing of WOTC and FG, or maybe they will go into a bundle, until then complaining will do little to change things. I think the message has been stated and the powers that be know many will not buy them unless or until the price goes down.

Myself I am buying them because I know after getting most of a module converted the time and effort that is put into it. Not to mention I have been waiting for 2E to come along for us to play on FG and I want to continue to support it so we can continue to get material to play this wonderful rule set.

Orophor
September 17th, 2020, 23:11
Would happily pay $20 for the Complete Psionics Guide and $20 more for The Will and the Way as that's my favorite style of AD&D Psionic combat.

homer8881
June 17th, 2023, 17:18
I am almost 4 years from this post, but I would like to comment on this.
Believing all opinions should be respected, what "Beerbelly" it is totally reasonable about prices but I don't think "dammed" have here any power about prices and also please always try to see the others point of view. For sure SW have a deal with WoTC, and knowing WoTC these people are worst than Disney or Nintendo, everything is tight and fixed without not much window to operate from Smite Works.

But yes, is not fair, I have all 2e books, my dream was to have something like Fantasy Grounds to put all automatically in my PC sheet or NPC but this is what we have. So before say harsh words like "condescending tone", now not as player but now as a worker please be more grown up (quite sure you are) and try to see everybody point of view and not only yours.

Time ago seeing this prices I gave up, I play Pathfinder 1e (I will never go to D&D5E or PTH2E) and have mostly a lot of book, even if already have them in physical format. But dudes life isn't fair. Lets all try to have a very nice community here :)

Moon Wizard
June 17th, 2023, 20:35
Closing thread, since it’s almost three years old.

JPG