PDA

View Full Version : Add generic base to character/monster tokens

Speculi
May 7th, 2019, 16:47
My players like to drag attacks and heals on tokens on the map, instead of entries in the combat tracker, but they sometimes have troubles hitting the intended target. So I tend to use more pog like tokens (circles with images inside), or tokens with some kind of base underneath (like RL minis would have).

When I was going through the FG store I saw some really nice token packs, but most of them seem contain characters/monsters without any kind of base underneath(?). So most likely I wouldn't want to use them in my games because of this, even though they look really great. I guess they will come as an encrypted .mod file, otherwise I might be able to copy them and write a small script to batch process the images and add a base directly in the image files. (At least if that would even be okay for use in my games with friends and obviously no other distribution or anything like paid games etc.)

Would it be possible to add a generic "base" underneath a token in FG? Could this be done with an extension? If this is not possible with FG classic, would this be an interesting option for FG Unity?

Trenloe
May 7th, 2019, 17:01
When I was going through the FG store I saw some really nice token packs, but most of them seem contain characters/monsters without any kind of base underneath(?). So most likely I wouldn't want to use them in my games because of this, even though they look really great. I guess they will come as an encrypted .mod file,
A lot of the token modules are not encrypted - you can have access to the PNG files.

Would it be possible to add a generic "base" underneath a token in FG? Could this be done with an extension?
Nope, can't be done with an extension that would make any difference to the drag/drop issues you mention - as the issue is caused by transparency within the token PNG file. FG only looks at the actual file itself, not bases underneath or any other layers.

notrealdan
May 7th, 2019, 17:13
My players like to drag attacks and heals on tokens on the map, instead of entries in the combat tracker, but they sometimes have troubles hitting the intended target. So I tend to use more pog like tokens (circles with images inside), or tokens with some kind of base underneath (like RL minis would have).

When I was going through the FG store I saw some really nice token packs, but most of them seem contain characters/monsters without any kind of base underneath(?). So most likely I wouldn't want to use them in my games because of this, even though they look really great. I guess they will come as an encrypted .mod file, otherwise I might be able to copy them and write a small script to batch process the images and add a base directly in the image files. (At least if that would even be okay for use in my games with friends and obviously no other distribution or anything like paid games etc.)

Would it be possible to add a generic "base" underneath a token in FG? Could this be done with an extension? If this is not possible with FG classic, would this be an interesting option for FG Unity?

I've got the same annoyance with some tokens. That and it's sometime hard to see some tokens against the map image. It's the main thing holding me back from going for the Devin Night token pack add-on in the FGU Kickstarter. If you're able to do this, I'd love to get the script so I can do the same for my tokens. Not the resulting tokens, for obvious copyright reasons, but the tool to process the image files in bulk.

Speculi
May 7th, 2019, 17:15
A lot of the token modules are not encrypted - you can have access to the PNG files.
Oh, wow, awesome! But I guess there is no way of knowing before buying (other than posting here for every tocken pack and hoping somebody already has bought it)?

FG only looks at the actual file itself, not ... any other layers.
I already assumed something like this would be the answer.

Thanks for the quick reply!

Trenloe
May 7th, 2019, 17:24
Oh, wow, awesome! But I guess there is no way of knowing before buying (other than posting here for every tocken pack and hoping somebody already has bought it)?
This post will help give an indication of some token products that were removed from the encrypted vault: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?46925-Release-Updates-on-December-11th-2018

Otherwise, there's nothing in the token product pages that will clearly indicate if the token image files are encrypted or not (at least not that I can see in a few sample product pages). You can ask to see if others have bought and can check, or you can try yourself and if they are encrypted request a refund within 30 days of purchase.

Speculi
May 7th, 2019, 17:28
If you're able to do this, I'd love to get the script so I can do the same for my tokens.
Maybe I'll give it a shot... if I ever come up with something easy enough to use, I will post it somewhere in the forum as well.

This post will help give an indication of some token products that were removed from the encrypted vault: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?46925-Release-Updates-on-December-11th-2018
You can ask to see if others have bought and can check, or you can try yourself and if they are encrypted request a refund within 30 days of purchase.
Thanks, that already seems to be a lot of the token packs!

notrealdan
May 7th, 2019, 18:53
Some of the tools listed here may be useful:
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?45413-Free-Token-Generator

Not sure how well they'd work for a large set of tokens, but at least the first one mentioned there (https://rolladvantage.com/tokenstamp/) has a "batch mode" that looks promising. I'll play with that later on and see.