PDA

View Full Version : Hiding Campaign I'm Running

manukosta
May 5th, 2019, 17:58
Hi, I was gonna start a Curse of Strahd module recently, but one of my players just by creating his character (I didn't enable any CoS options for PCs such as backgrounds) found out it was gonna be Curse of Strahd. I'm not sure if this was from the Update, when I join as localhost it doesn't show any CoS modules.

If it was from the update they had to run, maybe there is a way to change filenames? Really sucks to give away the campaign just by seeing the name of the files.

Thanks,

Random DM

Zacchaeus
May 5th, 2019, 18:07
Only information that you share with players will show up players side. So obviously the name of the campaign, any extensions or themes, or any modules or any shared images etc. Hard to say what gave it away but it would be one of those things.

manukosta
May 5th, 2019, 18:12
I assume it was from the module name. Maybe if I change the name of the .mod or .xml file? Or maybe it was the desktop decal...

Zacchaeus
May 5th, 2019, 18:28
I assume it was from the module name. Maybe if I change the name of the .mod or .xml file?

You can't change the name of the module or XML file

Another thing I thought of is that they might have looked at the tokens bag. Any tokens from tokens shared from CoS would show up with the name of the module that the token came from.

LordEntrails
May 5th, 2019, 18:50
Did you call the campaign (not the module) Strahd or Curse of Strahd? The players can see the name of the campaign. I always call them something like a party name "Stranger in a CAve" or "Nor Easters" etc, and never the module name.

Bonkon
May 5th, 2019, 20:57
Good Day Manukosta :)
I have had the problem of having things in the library show up on some of my players library screens and I had to do a /flushdb (Or was it /dbflush) and had them nuke their cache and it cleared it up. :)

Zacchaeus
May 5th, 2019, 21:58
The easiest thing to do would be ask the player how they know.

Valyar
May 5th, 2019, 22:54
Why would you hide this from the players in the first place?

LordEntrails
May 5th, 2019, 23:39
To prevent meta gaming :(

manukosta
May 6th, 2019, 00:07
Good Day Manukosta :)
I have had the problem of having things in the library show up on some of my players library screens and I had to do a /flushdb (Or was it /dbflush) and had them nuke their cache and it cleared it up. :)

Cool idea, thanks!

Nylanfs
May 6th, 2019, 14:55
Name all campaigns "Death to the Players vIII"

Bonkon
May 6th, 2019, 18:54

Good Day Valyar :)
In my case my players were seeing about everything, DMG, MM, all DLC I had purchased so it was odd.

Valyar
May 7th, 2019, 04:26
In my case my players were seeing about everything, DMG, MM, all DLC I had purchased so it was odd.
Sounds like module sharing issue, definitely they have no use of the majority of those :)

Bonkon
May 7th, 2019, 05:05
Sounds like module sharing issue, definitely they have no use of the majority of those :)

I know I did not share the modules and even double checked while the players were connected. But the flush did clear the problem. :)