PDA

View Full Version : How do I manually add my physical books

SkullKidd
May 2nd, 2019, 08:18
This is probably an extremely super and over asked question, but I own all of the base rules for D&D 5E in physical form. I want to know how to manually add all the spells classes races monsters and other junk that comes with them. But I don't want to have to re purchase them either. I'm fine with spending 50-100+ hours manually typing if I have to I just don't understand how to actually accomplish that.

Zacchaeus
May 2nd, 2019, 10:16
Hi SkjullKidd welcome to FG.

You can do all of that. Here's some video links to get you going.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?37112-New-Class-Creation-Video
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?36605-Creating-a-Background-video-tutorial
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?36611-Video-tutorial-Races

Spells, NPCS, items etc are all added the same way. Open the items/NPCSs/spells from the button on the right. Click the edit list button or right click and add new to get a blank template to type the information into.

Here's some more guides
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?33538-Adventure-Module-Creation-Best-Practices
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/filelibrary/FantasyGroundsUserManual.pdf

And the 5e Wiki
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/User_Guides

damned
May 2nd, 2019, 10:57
Hey SkullKidd

One other thing - dont try and add it all. Spend some time adding the bits you need now. Classes and races take some time to add but Zacchaeus has great guides above - and other things can be added quite quickly

SkullKidd
May 2nd, 2019, 11:00
Hey SkullKidd

One other thing - dont try and add it all. Spend some time adding the bits you need now. Classes and races take some time to add but Zacchaeus has great guides above - and other things can be added quite quickly

The problem is I need it all because I run 3 different games lol but I won't have a problem with adding everything because it's good to memorize things

Zacchaeus
May 2nd, 2019, 11:40
Oh, for spells and NPCs there's also this

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?27297-5e-Parsers

LordEntrails
May 2nd, 2019, 16:15
Also, make sure you add all this into various "Development" campaigns that you can then export a module from that will effectively be your PHB, DMG, etc. See link in my signature on some thoughts and practices around using development campaigns and making modules.

Maasq
May 2nd, 2019, 21:29
Hiya

If you decide Engineer Suite looks useful to you (one of the links Zacch provided above) then don't hesitate to join the Discord server and chat about it. At the moment it just does NPCs and Spells, more is on the way. Links in my sig. :)

Good luck!

Maasq

notrealdan
May 3rd, 2019, 00:37
Welcome to FG! In case you aren't already aware, FG comes with the D&D 5E Basic Rules and SRD as modules. Those may already have a lot of what you need. Maasq's Engineer Suite will be very helpful for entering a lot of the rest.

It sounds like you're OK with a LOT of manual data entry labor. Good for you, and godspeed...

valleystudiosgaming
August 7th, 2019, 04:37
EDIT: Request for copyrighted information removed.

Trenloe
August 7th, 2019, 04:47
Does anyone have the files already handy so I can upload them to fantasy grounds? or is this not a file that can be shared.
Welcome to the FG forums.

The details from the PHB, DMG, MM, etc. can't be shared.

Myrdin Potter
August 7th, 2019, 13:15
Most of what is needed to play is in the SRD, so work but not huge work to add the additional PHB info.

valleystudiosgaming
August 10th, 2019, 02:08
ok thanks.

patriot101
January 5th, 2020, 17:50
Great advice everyone. I have been more recently purchasing PDFs for most of the Pathfinder things I don't yet have, and linking that purchase to save on my FG purchases. This is a good deal. I do have some things that I bought in physical books that I will also add manually. I won't add it all. I go through an adventure and find out what items might be referenced to a physical book that I have, and then I can just add those items. I will go through and look at the video tutorials linked above as well. One of the things I want to do is separate my manual entered stuff in the event I break down some day and just buy the PDF and matching FG data.
Obviously, not legal to share any of my manually entered stuff. A lot of effort goes into the FG sets, and it does save me a lot of time. Well worth it. I have owned FG now for less than a week, but I am enjoying getting under the hood and learning how to use it. I wish I had jumped on the FG train long ago.

Trenloe
January 5th, 2020, 17:55
Obviously, not legal to share any of my manually entered stuff.
Not necessarily. If we’re talking about Pathfinder, most of the material is released under the OGL. Which allows statblocks, etc. to be shared - you just can’t share images, intellectual IP (descriptive text, etc.). There are already a lot of community OGL modules available for Pathfinder - have a look at the “modules” sticky thread at the top of the Pathfinder sub-forum.

Lucius Warbaby
March 19th, 2020, 21:58
Thanks for the info everyone.

Fr0zen1
June 11th, 2020, 20:48
A question to all here. I am a fan of Dark Sun (I know Im not alone..admit you heathens). DMDave (GREAT GUY!!) Took on the task to convert DS to 5e. How can I take his work and add it into FG for use in adventures and such. Seems Ravenloft (We are running COS right now) would be an ideal setting to bypass the whole isolated world thing. That and I miss playing my fav races/classes (halfling psionic/thief FTW!). There might already be a "how to" and I am missing it. Ill take a gander at the links Zacchaeus posted to see if they can give some insight. Thanks a ton!

Zacchaeus
June 11th, 2020, 20:55
Welcome to FG Fruzen (sorry don't know how to do an umlaut).

Yes, you should find enough details in the links in the second post above in respect of adding classes, races and backgrounds. The mechanics might prove more difficult since (I assume) that this would change some things in the ruleset - which would require tinkering with an extension I fear.

Fr0zen1
June 11th, 2020, 22:53
I think Im getting it. Adding in races is actually pretty easy, thanks for the video link! I am stuck now though. Adding in a Half-Giant the abilities is odd. Trying to get FG to give the player the ability to split 4 points between STR and CON seems to be confusing the automation lol Any tips? again, thanks a ton!

Zacchaeus
June 12th, 2020, 01:02
There is no wording that you can use to automate that kind of thing. It will need to be done manually.

Buttercow3525
October 21st, 2021, 02:42
Does anyone have the files of The of the PHB MM and DMG material manually put in and if so is it possible to send it? or do I have to put everything in myself/buy the books again

Myrdin Potter
October 21st, 2021, 02:44
Does anyone have the files of The of the PHB MM and DMG material manually put in and if so is it possible to send it? or do I have to put everything in myself/buy the books again

No one can share copy written materials. Even asking for it is not cool.

There really is not that much to add for 5e as all the SRD is there already for free.

damned
October 21st, 2021, 02:45
Welcome Buttercow3525

It is not legal to share converted copyright material
Copyright permits you to convert it yourself but not to share that conversion