PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy Grounds Unity Kickstarter questions

LupaShiva
May 1st, 2019, 21:55
Hello everyone

Im already a Fantasy grounds user, and wanted to pledge the kickstarter, but i have some questions first:

1-Where can i see my serial number? It appears a bunch of *******, and cant see the serial.
2-When i start it appears 3.3.7 ULTIMATE, what pledge should i pledge?
3-Where can i see the year i purchased the license? Im pretty sure it was before 2018, but not 100% sure.
4-Not sure if i got it in steam or on the FG page, does it make any difference?
5-What happens to everything i bought from DD 5th and sentinels, i can use it with FFU?
6-What is the pledge i should pledge? Im really confused, when i pledge, its a one time purchase right? and it last forever right?

Thank you and sorry about my english
[email protected]
Luis Ramos

Moon Wizard
May 1st, 2019, 22:04
LupaShiva,

Here's what I have. Let me know if you have more questions.

1) Your license key can be found in the FG store under Order History (if purchased at FG store) or in the Steam Library under Fantasy Grounds->CD Key (if purchased through Steam)

2) You have an Ultimate license; so you would pick Rookie Upgrade - Ultimate or Veteran Upgrade - Ultimate (depending on when you purchased your Ultimate license)

3) You should be able to find your order date in the FG store under Order History (for FG store purchases) or within Steam (not sure where it's shown in Steam, but I can poke around, if this is the case).

4) The only difference between the FG store and Steam purchase would be where you look up your purchase history and license key.

5) Our plan is to provide as much backward compatibility as possible to existing content, and upgrade any currently available DLC (if needed) to work with the FGU client as well.

6) See answer number 2.

Cheers,
JPG

Zacchaeus
May 1st, 2019, 22:05
1. You won’t need your license key (serial number) at this stage but you can find it in the Store or on Steam wherever you purchased it from. On the store click the store drop down and select purchase history and then click on the date of purchase next to the purchase. On Steam go to the Steam right hand menu (with FG selected) and click on CD key.
2. If you bought before 2018 then Veteran ultimate upgrade otherwise rookie ultimate upgrade.
3 as 2
4. See point 1
5. All DLC will work with Unity
6. Yes it is a one off purchase.

LupaShiva
May 1st, 2019, 22:54
Thank you all for the help, it was before 2018, in 2015, so Veteran ultimate upgrade =) Thanks again, going to pledge the Kickstarter this week.

DwightLee
May 1st, 2019, 23:36
I have a question, my ultimate licence for FG is through my monthly subscription to FG, will that continue with Unity? I am looking at the Kickstarter page, and not sure what I should do, my plan is to continue my subscription

Moon Wizard
May 1st, 2019, 23:41
Nothing is finalized for FGU pricing at this point. As of this point in time, our thought is that the FGC and FGU subscriptions will be separate. Anything else creates a lot of complication in license management, KS planning/funding, and more.

Regards,
JPG

Trenloe
May 1st, 2019, 23:44
I have a question, my ultimate licence for FG is through my monthly subscription to FG, will that continue with Unity? I am looking at the Kickstarter page, and not sure what I should do, my plan is to continue my subscription
If your plan is to continue your subscription then you should continue your subscription, not do anything in the Kickstarter and wait to see what subscription options are available for FGU when it is available in general release in December.

DwightLee
May 2nd, 2019, 20:04
Nope, looked over the kickstarter and I want to be involved in this. Going for the ultimate licence package ( $135 ) and then will end my FG subscription afterwards in December when my players can get the demo version for their characters. :) Thanks Trenloe, your answer was correct, but not what I will end up doing after all. That will give me the beta time to transform my home brew game over to Unity :D

Trenloe
May 2nd, 2019, 20:29
Nope, looked over the kickstarter and I want to be involved in this.
Cool! Nice one. :)

epithet
May 2nd, 2019, 21:18
I just watched Doug's new vid on the FGU new dice macros, and what seems to be missing is a way to add a damage type to a roll. There have been a few times when it would have been really nice to be able to just type a roll and a damage type and have it return something draggable that would take advantage of automated resistances, etc.

Moon Wizard
May 2nd, 2019, 21:29
Adding a "type" to a roll is not part of the core system, and would need to be implemented in each ruleset.

JPG

Henrique Oliveira Machado
May 3rd, 2019, 00:03
Hello everyone.
I'm just gonna use this topic for my own questions to not flood the forum with lots os questions:

How you guys recomend people from outside the USA to buy the FGU?
We here from brazil are very excited for this new engine. there've been some articles running around our communities about it and one of the main topics on this is Price. Mainly: "is it worth to buy now, or wait?"

The problem is... the pledge is in US dollars, but our money have lost value in the last years, and nowadays, 1USD is equal to 4BRL (R$). that means we pay 4x the price plus taxes.

Would you guys recomend we wait until it gets into STEAM? will you raise the prices when it's released?

Zacchaeus
May 3rd, 2019, 00:21
Upgrade prices post Kickstarter have not been announced so it is hard to say what the exact situation would be but it will certainly cost more to upgrade than the Kickstarter price would be. It depends also on what the regional price on Steam will be by the time Unity is released.

May 3rd, 2019, 01:12
Upgrade prices post Kickstarter have not been announced so it is hard to say what the exact situation would be but it will certainly cost more to upgrade than the Kickstarter price would be. It depends also on what the regional price on Steam will be by the time Unity is released.

Thank you. I decided to pledge and got the rookie standard one (i play on table with friends).
Steam has a fun way to "Correct" the currency so it usually gets cheaper in Steam than by buying on dollars, but since the prices will probably increase after the kickstarter, i think it will be like the same.
Also the developers deserve the best for this work. I really admire them and you all.

If i understand correctly, i'll simply have to use the same license key to activate FGU when it's out/during beta, right?

Zacchaeus
May 3rd, 2019, 01:35
No, you will get a separate license key for Unity since it is essentially a new program and is separately licensed. You will be able to use both classic and unity at the same time so the same license key couldn’t be used anyway.

May 3rd, 2019, 02:17
No, you will get a separate license key for Unity since it is essentially a new program and is separately licensed. You will be able to use both classic and unity at the same time so the same license key couldn’t be used anyway.

Oh, cool.

So they'll just need my license key to see if i actually am "fitted" for the rookie pledge (bought it on march 2018), and then that's it?

Zacchaeus
May 3rd, 2019, 02:28
Correct.

damned
May 3rd, 2019, 03:30
Oh, cool.

So they'll just need my license key to see if i actually am "fitted" for the rookie pledge (bought it on march 2018), and then that's it?

There will be some countries where the KS wont provide any savings but exact numbers will be hard to know.

DwightLee
May 3rd, 2019, 19:17
I thought I saw the post kickstart prices in the kickstarter page, they were like $10 more. I didn't pledge to save, I pledged to be involved and be in the beta :)

May 3rd, 2019, 22:37
I thought I saw the post kickstart prices in the kickstarter page, they were like $10 more. I didn't pledge to save, I pledged to be involved and be in the beta :)

Oh yes, the price in USD were clear. but my currency isn't USD, so that's the focus on the question since STEAM has a way to deal with less valuable coin like mine.
It's like you are trading withs Points of gold, but i only have silver ones so we have to exchange lol

I just bought it and let my international credit card do the math and my government F@*# me in the back with taxes while they are at it.lol
But yeah... i can take it.

It'll be fun to make part of the beta.

Vis
May 5th, 2019, 03:43
Any chance FGU will allow players to link/share 'red dragons' from the PHB or any module that they do not own? Currently my players receive the message in chat, "Only records which you own can be shared." anytime they are trying to share anything.

Bidmaron
May 6th, 2019, 01:08
Not in phase one and the consensus is this cannot be added due to copyright concerns. There is a wishlist item for it though

Vis
May 6th, 2019, 01:13
Not in phase one and the consensus is this cannot be added due to copyright concerns. There is a wishlist item for it though

Thanks. Fingers-crossed.

Trenloe
May 6th, 2019, 05:36
Any chance FGU will allow players to link/share 'red dragons' from the PHB or any module that they do not own? Currently my players receive the message in chat, "Only records which you own can be shared." anytime they are trying to share anything.
Note - the message is not referring to owning a FG library module - that is, having purchased the module. It is referring to FG data record ownership - only the GM and a single user (who created the record, or has been given ownership) can "own" a data record. So, for record from modules like the PHB, only the GM can share them. I highly doubt this will change in FGU any time soon as it is a fundamental underlying principle for FG data, but they may have some ideas that I’m not privy to...

Psywolf
May 12th, 2019, 14:41
Apologies if this has already been asked. Are the estimated hardware requirements for FG Unity known?

LordEntrails
May 12th, 2019, 15:57
Apologies if this has already been asked. Are the estimated hardware requirements for FG Unity known?
No. But they are not expected to be high. Some of the development team has been testing on ~5 year old mid-grade hardware with no issues.

Bidmaron
May 12th, 2019, 19:27
Here is an idea for a tier: for the KS beta only, sell individual demo licenses to pledgers that are tied strictly to their own account that they can issue to their players only during the beta period. I’d happily pay $5 or $10 a piece for the privilege of being able to test with my group

May 15th, 2019, 20:48

by my limited knowledge of technology, the Unity version will be even lighter/faster than the Classic. Someone can correct me if i'm wrong.

It'll run in 64 bits, allowing for the use of more RAM memory, will allow use of more cores from your processor (most in the market are at least Quad-core) and multiprocessing (not sure about multithreading tho') wich means the product will be able to handle lots of functionalities and calculations at once.

If you run any game, you'll be able to run it like the wind. probably a lot more stable than the FGC.

damned
May 15th, 2019, 20:51
by my limited knowledge of technology, the Unity version will be even lighter/faster than the Classic. Someone can correct me if i'm wrong.

It'll run in 64 bits, allowing for the use of more RAM memory, will allow use of more cores from your processor (most in the market are at least Quad-core) and multiprocessing (not sure about multithreading tho') wich means the product will be able to handle lots of functionalities and calculations at once.

If you run any game, you'll be able to run it like the wind. probably a lot more stable than the FGC.

Most computers are multi-core but most applications are not.
FGU will largely (or solely) use a single core.
Newer applications with more features are almost never lighter than their predecessors.

May 15th, 2019, 21:07
Most computers are multi-core but most applications are not.
FGU will largely (or solely) use a single core.
Newer applications with more features are almost never lighter than their predecessors.

really? Saw someone saying differently.
But i am not an expert, so...

1bighammer
May 16th, 2019, 01:39
So they did hit the goal right? When will Fantasy Grounds Virtual Reality launch?

JK on the second question but it is fun to imagine....

damned
May 16th, 2019, 01:57
really? Saw someone saying differently.
But i am not an expert, so...

There are lots of things that various people have said. Plenty of misinformation.

chumbly
May 16th, 2019, 15:42
So they did hit the goal right? When will Fantasy Grounds Virtual Reality launch?

JK on the second question but it is fun to imagine....

Forget VR with Occulas Rifts and the like.. way too limited in goal.. so soon to be obsolete. I want the FULL Fantasy Ground Star Trek Style Holodeck stretch goal. Imagine 5E or Starfinder where you don't even need the GM. The FG Holodeck Ai Software will provide fully sentenient NPCs for player character parties and opponents. Why roll dice when FG Holodeck tech will handle the holodecK VR simulations of shooting or bloody lifelike hacking with great swords lol. Feel the muscle ache from a day of hacking ORCs with your sword..

Hey guys this isn't too much extra to ask.. you'll be able to add this into FG Unity and still make December right?

Trenloe
May 16th, 2019, 15:55
Forget VR with Occulas Rifts and the like.. way too limited in goal.. so soon to be obsolete. I want the FULL Fantasy Ground Star Trek Style Holodeck stretch goal. Imagine 5E or Starfinder where you don't even need the GM. The FG Holodeck Ai Software will provide fully sentenient NPCs for player character parties and opponents. Why roll dice when FG Holodeck tech will handle the holodecK VR simulations of shooting or bloody lifelike hacking with great swords lol. Feel the muscle ache from a day of hacking ORCs with your sword..
LOL!

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/reddwarf/images/5/55/Betterthanlife.png/revision/latest?cb=20070516033621

DwightLee
May 16th, 2019, 16:44
Actually VR is exceptional already, ( I have a Rift with a full 360 setup ) however it is not very well suited to things like Fantasy Grounds.

VR is coming along quite nicely, but it is true that any setup will become obsolete in a very few years.

I have seen one D&D setup in VR, it was odd, it was basically turning the virtual game into a table top game, but with the players in far locations attending virtually. It had every bad aspect of both kinds ( table top and virtual systems like Fantasy Grounds ) with none of the good aspects ( chuckle )

cwarrencs
May 20th, 2019, 03:02
I have a quick question. I originally pledged for the standard license pre 2018 for FGU. But after talking with my DM tonight I was thinking I might want to give GMing a try. So I came here and bought the upgrade to an Ultimate License tonight (since a lot of players in our gaming group use the demo for now). Now my question is what date should I use for the Pledged package for Ultimate license. Is it 2019 now, or will it be still considered pre-2018 since it is an upgrade?

Thanks,
Mith

notrealdan
May 20th, 2019, 03:11
I have a quick question. I originally pledged for the standard license pre 2018 for FGU. But after talking with my DM tonight I was thinking I might want to give GMing a try. So I came here and bought the upgrade to an Ultimate License tonight (since a lot of players in our gaming group use the demo for now). Now my question is what date should I use for the Pledged package for Ultimate license. Is it 2019 now, or will it be still considered pre-2018 since it is an upgrade?

Thanks,
Mith

It's based on the purchase date of the license you're upgrading, so you would now qualify for the rookie upgrade.

EDIT: And congrats on deciding to give GMing a try! Good luck and have fun!

DavidJ
May 22nd, 2019, 07:18
Would they please set a goal at 400k to hire a ui and ux designer? I'm tempted to pledge but reusing the ui is a bit of a turnoff. Maybe it's just me.

Zacchaeus
May 22nd, 2019, 08:43
Would they please set a goal at 400k to hire a ui and ux designer? I'm tempted to pledge but reusing the ui is a bit of a turnoff. Maybe it's just me.

The initial release of Unity won't see many UI changes, since it has to be backward compatible with the 1200+ DLC.

damned
May 22nd, 2019, 14:03

Do you mean set a goal at $800k to hire a UI/UX designer?

Zansobar
May 22nd, 2019, 18:29
The initial release of Unity won't see many UI changes, since it has to be backward compatible with the 1200+ DLC.

Why would the choice of UI change anything with regard to compatibility with features?

Zacchaeus
May 22nd, 2019, 19:33
Why would the choice of UI change anything with regard to compatibility with features?

Not sure what you mean. Most of the UI is controlled by rulesets - not the underlying program. So if you change features in the UI - say for drop down menus rather than radial menus you have to then go back and change every ruleset. Also that would mean significant changes to FG Classic as well in order to accommodate that. Unless of course I'm misunderstanding what you are looking for in terms of UI changes.

Zansobar
May 22nd, 2019, 20:25
Not sure what you mean. Most of the UI is controlled by rulesets - not the underlying program. So if you change features in the UI - say for drop down menus rather than radial menus you have to then go back and change every ruleset. Also that would mean significant changes to FG Classic as well in order to accommodate that. Unless of course I'm misunderstanding what you are looking for in terms of UI changes.

Yeah that's what I mean, I guess I didn't understand that the rulesets governed the coding of the UI, I would have thought the platform would have done that with the rulesets tapping into options for UI from the platform. I guess I also think it's a mistake to develop a new platform but be forced to make sacrifices for compatibility to old DLCs. It's not like FGC won't still work with them and you only need to add functionality to the most popular games/dlcs for Unity to be a success. Others could be added over time as dictated by popularity.

Trenloe
May 22nd, 2019, 20:30
I guess I also think it's a mistake to develop a new platform but be forced to make sacrifices for compatibility to old DLCs.
I'll have to disagree strongly with you there. I'm guessing you don't have too much DLC and community developed products to worry about? ;-)

Bidmaron
May 22nd, 2019, 23:28
The UI debate is a hot one. I and a few others happen to like (most) of the UI. IMO it helps reinforce fantasy theme by not being in your face windows or Mac UI.

Quorlox
May 24th, 2019, 11:36
Where is the best place to learn about the currently planned features for FG Unity with respect to extendability? I tend to play games not included in the Core rules so they will need to be added.

seycyrus
May 24th, 2019, 12:57
Where is the best place to learn about the currently planned features for FG Unity with respect to extendability? I tend to play games not included in the Core rules so they will need to be added.

What questions do you have that aren't covered on the kickstarter page?

Trenloe
May 24th, 2019, 13:26
It’s essentially the same as it is in FG Classic.

JohnD
May 24th, 2019, 13:29
I guess I also think it's a mistake to develop a new platform but be forced to make sacrifices for compatibility to old DLCs. It's not like FGC won't still work with them and you only need to add functionality to the most popular games/dlcs for Unity to be a success. Others could be added over time as dictated by popularity.

Holy smokes I’m glad you aren't making the decisions.

dellanx
May 24th, 2019, 18:31
So after the Kickstarter bills the credit card of record, the order will go under Order History, for the email of record? Or do I have to do something else?

LordEntrails
May 24th, 2019, 19:02
So after the Kickstarter bills the credit card of record, the order will go under Order History, for the email of record? Or do I have to do something else?
I'm sure it won't be immediate, but it will happen during fulfillment. Don't forget to check your email for the survey SW will send so you can give them the info they need inorder to get your account updated.

Quorlox
May 25th, 2019, 01:41
What questions do you have that aren't covered on the kickstarter page?

Do you have access to the numbers and strings in the dice rolling commands via script? For example, in WW's Exalted, d10s are rolled and most of the time, 7-9 are counted as one success and 10s count as 2 successes, but sometimes, the range for one success becomes 6-9, 5-9, or 4-9; would each of those have to be different explicit options or could the number in the dice rolling command be changed dynamically? For example, would I need 5d10s7s10#2 for the 7-9 option and 5d10s6s10#2 for the 6-9 option, or could it be written 5d10sXs10#2 where X is dynamically assigned as needed?

LordEntrails
May 25th, 2019, 02:29
Do you have access to the numbers and strings in the dice rolling commands via script? For example, in WW's Exalted, d10s are rolled and most of the time, 7-9 are counted as one success and 10s count as 2 successes, but sometimes, the range for one success becomes 6-9, 5-9, or 4-9; would each of those have to be different explicit options or could the number in the dice rolling command be changed dynamically? For example, would I need 5d10s7s10#2 for the 7-9 option and 5d10s6s10#2 for the 6-9 option, or could it be written 5d10sXs10#2 where X is dynamically assigned as needed?
Scripts no, via XML and LUA, yes. Their are numerous examples of custom die rolls like this in DOR Core and MoreCore rulesets and many of the custom rulesets for MoreCore.

Their is already an Exalted ruleset (or two?) in the community. The site search link above should reveal them for you.

Edit: I believe DORCore can already handle your example. MoreCore might be able to as well as is, but I believe it has a Exalted extension for it

JohnD
May 25th, 2019, 04:56
Didn't Doug put up a video which shows a whole load of new dice rolling options coming in FGU?

damned
May 25th, 2019, 05:06
I believe the question being asked is in reference to exact specifics of the new dice roller mechanics.
I think we will likely have to wait and see.

Quorlox
May 25th, 2019, 07:34
My question is focused on what will be accessible via C# script in FGU, and what will be programmatically required to access those options.

damned
May 25th, 2019, 08:07
My question is focused on what will be accessible via C# script in FGU, and what will be programmatically required to access those options.

Nothing will be available via C#.
Lua and xml are the tools you will have to modify/extend/build within FG.

Quorlox
May 25th, 2019, 11:03
Why will nothing be available by C#?

damned
May 25th, 2019, 12:26
Why will nothing be available by C#?

Nothing now is available via c# - only by Lua and xml.
Moon Wizard has stated various times that access to the application code will not be accessible.

Quorlox
May 25th, 2019, 12:43
Well, that significantly reduces my enthusiasm for the project.

damned
May 25th, 2019, 12:55
Well, that significantly reduces my enthusiasm for the project.

where did you get the idea that you would have access to the game engine itself?
there is a lot of people imagining x, y and z about Unity...
right now, today, for the most part Unity will be new plumbing but most things will be the same.

Quorlox
May 25th, 2019, 13:15
I want to be able to program add-ons using Unity because that's what makes, well I thought would make, FGU exciting. Why would people spend $350k+ to get the same product?

Mellock
May 25th, 2019, 13:41
I want to be able to program add-ons using Unity because that's what makes, well I thought would make, FGU exciting. Why would people spend $350k+ to get the same product?

I can only speak for myself, but I really like this product.

marroon69
May 25th, 2019, 13:42
Quick question...with the Unity conversion will you support Android and IOS tablets? I am not looking for phone support that would not make sense but tablets and Chromebooks would make sense. We play with a mix of local and remote people...pretty common for me at least. At the table people use tablets as opposed to laptops so wonder if this will happen?

Trenloe
May 25th, 2019, 13:57
Quick question...with the Unity conversion will you support Android and IOS tablets? I am not looking for phone support that would not make sense but tablets and Chromebooks would make sense. We play with a mix of local and remote people...pretty common for me at least. At the table people use tablets as opposed to laptops so wonder if this will happen?
Not initially. Sometime (way) down the line, maybe... it’s something the devs have in mind, but no fixed plans.

Trenloe
May 25th, 2019, 13:58
Why would people spend $350k+ to get the same product?
Spending some time on the main Kickstarter page and watching the preview videos should give you an idea that FG Unity is *not* the same product.

Quorlox
May 25th, 2019, 14:36
Spending some time on the main Kickstarter page and watching the preview videos should give you an idea that FG Unity is *not* the same product.

I'm not the person who claimed it was basically the same product, just responding to a comment somebody else made.

Regardless, what is the same is that FGU will still be limited to LUA and XML as the ways to develop customizations, correct? That's the limitation that concerns me the most. Are there any plans to remove this limitation in the future?

LordEntrails
May 25th, 2019, 15:40
LUA and XML, not HTML. "Remove" as in making the game engine code public? No, that would be a foolish business decision wouldn't it? "Remove" as allowing API access to the engine? Possible.

Quorlox
May 25th, 2019, 16:01
LUA and XML, not HTML. "Remove" as in making the game engine code public? No, that would be a foolish business decision wouldn't it? "Remove" as allowing API access to the engine? Possible.

I corrected the mistake; thanks!

API Access is what I would be interested in, not the game engine code.

Ampersandrew
May 25th, 2019, 16:29

1. No-one spent $350K, I personally spent $30.

2. It's not the same product, it's a long awaited update that removes some severe limitations and provides a platform for improvement.

Bidmaron
May 25th, 2019, 16:41
c# falls in the category of luxury. The lua sandbox we have is inherently safe (too safe in some regards) and limits the mischief someone can get into. We have a viable method of extensions now, and I can't see how creating another programming interface brings enough value to make it worthwhile for SW to expend the effort to create some kind of c# sandbox environment.

If you are interested in API access, we already have it with LUA.

dazhbog
May 26th, 2019, 01:02
The area where I would like to see the most improvement is developing rulesets/extensions. The XML/Lua system is quite archaic and clunky but I don't think it's going anywhere soon. I have a few suggestions though that I feel could boost the productivity quite a bit:

1) Lua console where it would be possible to call Lua functions and inspect the data structures in an interactive way (REPL-style)

2) Graphic layout inspector that would show the outlines of the graphical elements (positions, margins, anchors) and their values and where they come from

3) maybe database/source inspector

4) better documentation

These could shave off quite a bit of reloads/iterations and debug printings and plain guesswork. I love the flexibility of FG (and would like to use it for many games with no official support) but the ruleset/extension development can be very slow and frustrating.

Quorlox
May 26th, 2019, 01:14
The area where I would like to see the most improvement is developing rulesets/extensions. The XML/Lua system is quite archaic and clunky but I don't think it's going anywhere soon.

Obviously I'd hoped that FGU would at least give us options other than XML/Lua, but since that's not the case currently, I would like for some of the stretch goals to be about extensions/etc.

LordEntrails
May 26th, 2019, 05:15
Make sure you check the wishlist for ideas similar to yours, and if they are not there, then to add them. https://fg2app.idea.informer.com (https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/)

Those ideas are all things of value, but they are also things that would extend the development time. SmiteWorks has been clear from the beginning that they will not add to the development time with any stretch goals. And I wholeheartedly agree with them. IMO, FGU needs to be out ASAP, and then after that other new functions can be evaluated and added.

As for ideas 1, 2, & 3. They all sound great. But, just being on the very edge of such software projects, I suspect they would easily cost twice what this KS has already made. And given their limited appeal, I doubt they would ever be realized. But, I could be way off on that. But I do know that a long time ago their was an effort to pre-finance a GUI tool and it never came anywhere close to being funded.

As for documentation, again, a great idea, but expensive. Right now SW provides and maintains a significant level of documentation. And leaves the rest up to the community to document. It seems to me to be a pretty fair division of labor and it seems to be pretty effective because their are regularly new community developers emerging and they are using the available resources to do so. Could it be better? Certainly. But given the constantly changing capabilities of FG, how much documentation would be wise to invest in?

celestian
May 26th, 2019, 07:24
2) Graphic layout inspector that would show the outlines of the graphical elements (positions, margins, anchors) and their values and where they come from

This would make me cry with joy.

It's seriously the thing I spend the most time doing.

It would go a LONG way to just let us use HTML templates of some sort.

Quorlox
May 26th, 2019, 11:38
Make sure you check the wishlist for ideas similar to yours, and if they are not there, then to add them. https://fg2app.idea.informer.com (https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/)

Done.

StoryWeaver
May 27th, 2019, 04:02
Personally I'd love seeing a way to create extensions and plug-ins in C#, fully unlocking the power that Unity could offer in that department, being an experienced C# developer myself.

Quorlox
May 27th, 2019, 11:00
Personally I'd love seeing a way to create extensions and plug-ins in C#, fully unlocking the power that Unity could offer in that department, being an experienced C# developer myself.

If you visit https://fg2app.idea.informer.com you can vote to support the idea. You will probably have to show things by date added since it defaults to number of votes, and because this is so new, it has few (if any) votes. :D

Bidmaron
May 27th, 2019, 13:19
I am with you, but I just don’t see it being a viable use of resources since we have a workable alternative. The main reason I would like to see it is for the IDE.

dazhbog
May 27th, 2019, 19:05
I think it might be better if dev ideas were in their own category because developers will always be a small minority and their "use case" is different.

celestian
May 27th, 2019, 19:08
If you visit https://fg2app.idea.informer.com you can vote to support the idea. You will probably have to show things by date added since it defaults to number of votes, and because this is so new, it has few (if any) votes. :D

Specifically for c# https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/proj/?ia=126279

I'd actually like to see it myself tho I don't give it much hope.

dazhbog
May 27th, 2019, 19:18
This would make me cry with joy.

It's seriously the thing I spend the most time doing.

It would go a LONG way to just let us use HTML templates of some sort.

I agree. HTML/CSS have their own problems but the existing tooling around them is very good. This way FG devs wouldn't need to develop/include their custom tools. Also, Unity has several ways to render HTML-based overlays/GUIs. I think this should go on the roadmap somewhere.

Longrath
May 28th, 2019, 23:42
I will kickstart at my financial limit if it contains the tabletop connect features and toolsets.

Over five years ago, was the aquisition.

Animated images and dynamic torchlight don't compare to a 3d dungeon building toolset.

Devastor86
May 29th, 2019, 15:09
I would like to back FGU on Kickstarter but cant, because it only accepts credit card.
Is there any possible method to back you preferably via paypal , and still get the discount as i would classify as veteran ultimate backer?

Same thing apllies to my boyfriend only difference he got only a standard license

Moon Wizard
May 29th, 2019, 16:55
All of the financial processing for this event is handled through Kickstarter. We have heard of several people using prepaid credit cards to back the KS in this scenario.

Once FGU launches, you will be able to purchase through Steam or our website as you can now.

Regards,
JPG

Nylanfs
May 29th, 2019, 17:15
Yep, buy a prepaid card and use that.

dellanx
May 31st, 2019, 17:53
Any new news on Unity. Kickstarter should bill by account today. What is next?

LordEntrails
May 31st, 2019, 17:57
Any new news on Unity. Kickstarter should bill by account today. What is next?
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/smiteworks/fantasy-grounds-unity/posts/2522779

MarianDz
May 31st, 2019, 19:55
see FG Blogs especially last one :p Now Hiring - Apply today! (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/entry.php?350-Now-Hiring-Apply-today!)

dellanx
May 31st, 2019, 20:09
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/smiteworks/fantasy-grounds-unity/posts/2522779

So for regular account upgrade Ultimate Veteran, nothing to do right at this moment?

Trenloe
May 31st, 2019, 20:13
So for regular account upgrade Ultimate Veteran, nothing to do right at this moment?
If you have an email from Kickstarter saying they have charged your funds (the title of the email I received was "Yes! Fantasy Grounds Unity has been successfully funded."), then you don't need to do anything until SmiteWorks send you the email mentioned in that update.

dellanx
June 1st, 2019, 02:47
If you have an email from Kickstarter saying they have charged your funds (the title of the email I received was "Yes! Fantasy Grounds Unity has been successfully funded."), then you don't need to do anything until SmiteWorks send you the email mentioned in that update.

Great Muse, Just saw the Email! Thanks Much!

Lilly Fireblade
July 4th, 2019, 06:52
I would like some clarification if I have FGC Ultimate and I upgrade my License to FGU Ultimate will my FGC Key become invalidated once FGU launches or is the Upgrade more of a discounted key and I would be able to still use both at ultimate level?

Trenloe
July 4th, 2019, 07:05
The keys are separate. Your FGC license won’t become invalid.

Lilly Fireblade
July 5th, 2019, 00:07
So the upgrade key option is more of a heavy discount since you already have the equivalent on a similar product?

LordEntrails
July 5th, 2019, 00:10
So the upgrade key option is more of a heavy discount since you already have the equivalent on a similar product?
Yes.

Pez
July 6th, 2019, 05:15
Hey all. I'm someone new to D&D in general and I've spent a few days trying to figure out the best way to play with my friends online in addition to in person. I saw the Steam version of Fantasy Grounds Classic is on sale on Steam right now. But I also read up and learned about the upcoming Unity version. I believe from what I've read that owning a license for Classic does not give you a license for Unity. But if I had bought an Ultimate License pre-Kickstarter I could have gotten a Unity license at a discount. My question is do we know if buying the Ultimate License on Steam now will also give a similar discount for the Unity version later? Should I be waiting for the Unity version to come out to save money or is buying the Steam version on sale now + Unity discount later cheaper for me? Dropping $123 for the Ultimate Classic now is a lot and it would be frustrating later if I would have to buy Unity Ultimate for a more expensive price point. Cheers

LordEntrails
July 6th, 2019, 05:50
Hey all. I'm someone new to D&D in general and I've spent a few days trying to figure out the best way to play with my friends online in addition to in person. I saw the Steam version of Fantasy Grounds Classic is on sale on Steam right now. But I also read up and learned about the upcoming Unity version. I believe from what I've read that owning a license for Classic does not give you a license for Unity. But if I had bought an Ultimate License pre-Kickstarter I could have gotten a Unity license at a discount. My question is do we know if buying the Ultimate License on Steam now will also give a similar discount for the Unity version later? Should I be waiting for the Unity version to come out to save money or is buying the Steam version on sale now + Unity discount later cheaper for me? Dropping $123 for the Ultimate Classic now is a lot and it would be frustrating later if I would have to buy Unity Ultimate for a more expensive price point. Cheers
Welcome to the forums!

First, the Steam price for FGC should be mimicked in the FG Store. The sales are mirrored. Most of the community suggests buying on the FG Store when you can, since then all the money goes to the developers instead of only 70%. But, for some people the prices are very different due to currency conversion rates and Steam regional pricing.

As for your question. we don't know what the FGU prices will be come the public release of FGU. I suspect (strongly) that their will be significant discounts for new purchasers of FGC, but no promises have been made and very little hinted at. Given how customer focused and fair SmiteWorks has always been to their customers, I personally wouldn't worry. But, you don't have that experience to draw upon so it only makes sense to worry :)

If you guys are going to want to play in the next few weeks, then I would get FGC while its on sale. I really think you'll find it worth it. And I think SW will treat you right come public release of FGU.

Also, when you guys do get started, there are lots of resources to help you; user manual, forums, YouTube videos, Discord, and FGCollege. Avail yourselves of them :)

Pez
July 6th, 2019, 06:27
Thanks for the quick reply! While the price is discounted on the FGC store it's still more expensive than on Steam due to USD to CAD conversion by about $23 + the Paypal conversion fees. Which is unfortunate. I also got some Steam credit so while I believe in supporting devs better directly it'll be cheaper for me by quite a bit to use that credit on top of the discount in CAD.

Everyone says SmiteWorks is going to treat people right and I'd say I want to believe it. Years of support from fans is the best indicator of a product. So I won't worry too much about the Unity version pricing then.

I do intend to play with my group soon so I'll probably pick it up on Steam before the sale ends. I'm definitely going to find the Discord server to help me out as well. Cheers

Ram Tyr
July 6th, 2019, 11:32
As for your question. we don't know what the FGU prices will be come the public release of FGU. I suspect (strongly) that their will be significant discounts for new purchasers of FGC, but no promises have been made and very little hinted at.
The Kickstarter website states that post kickstarter the FGU prices will be
Standard - $39
Ultimate - $149

Supporting images found here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?22089-Fantasy-Grounds-Unity-engine&p=438481&viewfull=1#post438481).

Zacchaeus
July 6th, 2019, 12:54
The Kickstarter website states that post kickstarter the FGU prices will be
Standard - $39
Ultimate - $149

Supporting images found here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?22089-Fantasy-Grounds-Unity-engine&p=438481&viewfull=1#post438481).

Those prices are for buying new. There has been no announcement as to at what level upgrade prices will be; which is what LE was referring to,

Bidmaron
July 6th, 2019, 13:51
Pez, as I’m sure you noted in your research, the BETA probably won’t be out until December, so you would be waiting a long while if you wanted to wait for public release. I am not sure BETA is even ‘public release?’

TrentLane
July 6th, 2019, 15:08
Pez, as I’m sure you noted in your research, the BETA probably won’t be out until December, so you would be waiting a long while if you wanted to wait for public release. I am not sure BETA is even ‘public release?’

December is the planned full release for FGU afaik; beta and alpha are not full scheduled yet. But in the latest kickstarter update, they mentioned august for alpha release, and beta following that depending how alpha goes

Bidmaron
July 6th, 2019, 18:58
They have previously made it clear that the earliest we could hope for the BETA would be December, and software never goes left.

Pez
July 7th, 2019, 07:01
I'm less concerned about being able to get my hands on the Unity version as soon as possible. When it comes it comes and it'll hopefully be a huge step forward over the current version. My worry is mostly spending $123 now and learning I'll have to spend $100 again in December. I know it's extremely unlikely it'll be that expensive but given they haven't outright stated pricing yet it's a worry at the back of my mind. Still I'll try to enjoy the current version til then. Maybe my friends will chip in to get the license if it does end up being too expensive for me.

For reference $149USD Ultimate Unity License would be $197CAD. So as long as the upgrade cost is less than $75CAD I'll feel happy having bought the current version now knowing the Unity version was upcoming.

LordEntrails
July 7th, 2019, 16:34
There is the option to get a subscription instead of the one-time license. You won't get a discount on the FGU license, but it would limit you to $10US/month. So ~$60US.