PDA

View Full Version : LFP: Eberron Meets Dragon Heist + Dungeon of the Mad Mage

Abandoned Arts
April 29th, 2019, 18:05
I'm looking to run a Monday morning/afternoon (EST) game starting with Waterdeep: Dragon Heist and then Waterdeep: Dungeon of the Mad Mage for a group of up to five players. Both modules will be adapted for the Eberron campaign setting (the working titles for these module adaptations are Sharn: Crown Heist and Sharn: Dungeon of the Fleshweaver).

The Eberron adaptations of these modules won't include any major mechanical differences. In general, I like to run modules pretty close to as-written. That said, I will be making small adjustments here and there (to correct oversights, fix fiddly writing, or to put a flavorful 'Eberron' spin on this-or-that), and I'll obviously be changing a lot of names and places. I'm not afraid to go a little off-book, either, if players want to chase down some emergent plot threads or see something through that isn't explicitly a part of the module. That said, you should by and large be here to run these modules as-intended.

If you would like to apply, please read all of the following first, and then respond to this post as instructed below. This is (potentially) a long-term, fully 1-20 campaign so there's a lot to read here (sorry about that) considering the proposed investment. If the idea of a long-term campaign doesn't appeal to you, this might not be a good fit. Chances are good not every participant will be able to see it all the way through, but you should at least be theoretically interested in doing so if you choose to apply.

GAME INFORMATION

FG License: I've got a standard license, so you should, too. I have (or can acquire) all the relevant modules.
Game System: Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition. We will play a strict rules-as-written game (using the rules-as-intended to interpret unclear rules and without ever throwing out the spirit in which the rules are intended). In effect, we're playing by both the letter and the spirit of the game. Basically: Jeremy Crawford style, not Chris Perkins style (no disrespect to the fantastic Mr. Perkins intended).
Allowed Sources: All 5th Edition material published by WotC is allowed except for The Guildmaster's Guide to Ravinica. 'Homebrewed' and third-party material is not allowed. Unearthed Arcana is not allowed, with two exceptions: we will play with the revised ranger (the Player's Handbook ranger is not allowed) and we will allow the revised artificer. Player-facing content (like races and spells) from the following WotC 'Extra Life' publications are allowed (those not mentioned here are not): The Tortle Package and Lost Laboratory of Kwalish. This is an Eberron game, so make sure to check out the Wayfarer's Guide to Eberron if you can.

Time Zone: I'm on the east coast of the USA (EST).
Day and Time: Monday mornings and/or afternoons, possible start dates include: May 13th, May 20th, or May 27th.
Planned Duration & Frequency: Weekly 3-4 hour sessions. Though games will be scheduled for weekly play, my daytime schedule sometimes fills up. I'll give players as much advance notice as possible if cancellations must occur.

Number of Players: I've got one long-distance friend ready-to-play and I'm looking for (up to) four more players. Characters will receive experience points only if they are present; a missed session means missed experience points. We will not play a session if more than 50% of players are absent. Absences happen and that's okay, but you should commit to the game as much as possible and prioritize giving your fellow players as much notice as you can when absence is unavoidable.
Player Requirements: You do not need to be an experienced player (but rules-as-written are in effect and DotMM can be a tough module). You do not need to be a Fantasy Grounds expert. You do not need to be a first-time Waterdeep: Dragon Heist or Waterdeep: Dungeon of the Mad Mage player, but if you have played (or run, or read) one or both modules before, please curb your meta-knowledge and don't spoil the adventure for your fellow players. You should not refer to either module or the Monster Manual in-game or deliberately seek out spoilers (honor system). You do need to speak English relatively well (but it doesn't need to be your first language). You do need to be reasonably socially-capable and comfortable with voice chat. You should be a decent human being and you should not discuss politics, sex, or religion during sessions. I would prefer to play with adults (20+, friendly grognards are welcome); if you are on the younger side and want to apply, please be grounded, mature, and focused. Persons of all backgrounds, ethnicities, genders, and sexual orientations equally welcome.
Voice Chat: We will use Discord voice chat (no text chat, please). This will be a private, just-for-the-fun-of-it game; there's no streaming or recording.

Starting Level and Ability Scores: Characters will start at 1st-level and should be built using the Point Buy method.
Starting Equipment: Starting equipment can be selected from your class-specific menu or purchased with maximum starting wealth (take the average value for your class' starting wealth; for example: 5d4 = 12.5).
Character Advancement and Inspiration: We will use experience point leveling. We will handle inspiration by the rules-as-written, so make sure you to choose traits, ideals, bonds, and flaws you can play up. We will use fixed hit point values on level-up (rolling for HP is not an option). If you choose to customize a background, please make sure you read and follow the instructions for doing so on page 125-126 of the Player's Handbook. Customized backgrounds are subject to DM approval, but only to ensure that you don't choose something that doesn't fit with the Eberron setting.

DM Style: As a DM, I play a fair game: I don't ever fudge rolls and I don't have an 'agenda' one way or another. I let the rules, your actions, and the outcomes of the dice decide what happens, whether that means your success or failure. I will in no way help you out or take it easy on you, but I won't stand in the way of whatever crazy bullshit you manage to pull off, either. You're entitled to whatever successes you earn and the rules apply to both PCs and NPCs equally.
Game Style: Dragon Heist is an open-ended adventure with an emphasis on city exploration, combat, and non-combat objectives. Dungeon of the Mad Mage is a massive dungeon crawl (but not necessarily a mindless hack-and-slash). The game will be handled in a straightforward, rules-as-written way. We will track ammunition, food and water, lifestyle costs, and so on. Character death is absolutely possible. I'm not a fan of 'pun' names, 'funny' or 'comic relief' characters, or 'anime-inspired' characters. Conversely, I'm not a fan of 'edgy loners,' either. Your character should be a fun, well-rounded team player who makes sense in the context of the Eberron campaign setting. I have no preferences with regards to 'roleplayers vs. optimizers;' a good player is often both. Sex and romance will not be a major focus of the game.
House Rules and Optional Rules: There are no house rules. This is a rules-as-written game. Multiclassing, feats, and variant humans (technically, all 'optional rules') are all allowed. The following miscellaneous optional rules are also in effect (others not mentioned here, such as flanking, are not in effect):

Adamantine; Xanathar's Guide to Everything, page 78
Disarming; Dungeon Master's Guide, page 271
Downtime Activities; Xanathar's Guide to Everything, page 85
Expanded Rules for Tool Proficiencies; Xanathar's Guide to Everything, page 78
Feywild Magic; Dungeon Master's Guide, page 50
Going without a Long Rest; Xanathar's Guide to Everything, page 78
Hitting Cover; Dungeon Master's Guide, page 272
Identifying a Spell; Xanathar's Guide to Everything, page 85
Invalid Spell Targets; Xanathar's Guide to Everything, page 85
Learning Beast Shapes; Xanathar's Guide to Everything, page 24
Optional Planar Characteristics; Dungeon Master's Guide, page 59
Overrunning; Dungeon Master's Guide, page 272
Rate of Falling; Xanathar's Guide to Everything, page 77
Scroll Mishaps; Dungeon Master's Guide, page 140
Shadowfell Despair; Dungeon Master's Guide, page 52
Shoving Aside; Dungeon Master's Guide, page 272
Simultaneous Effects; Xanathar's Guide to Everything, page 77
Sleeping in Armor; Xanathar's Guide to Everything, page 77
Tying Knots; Xanathar's Guide to Everything, page 78
Waking from Sleep; Xanathar's Guide to Everything, page 77

HOW TO APPLY

To apply for this game, respond to this thread with the following information (feel free to copy/paste the template):

About Me: (Briefly) introduce yourself. How old are you? Where are you from? What should I know about you?
Availability: What time(s) on Monday mornings and/or afternoons (EST) are you available?
Experience: How much experience with 5e do you have? How much experience with Fantasy Grounds do you have? It's fine if you don't have much experience with either; I'm collecting this data only to make sure that I don't recruit a roster of players who are all inexperienced with both.
Character Concept(s): What sort of character are you thinking of playing (race, class, background, alignment, personality)? If the answer is 'that depends on what everyone else is playing,' that's fine; be only as specific as you can be. Have two or three ideas kicking around? Lay them on me.

ThePirateKing
April 29th, 2019, 18:31
About me: I’m 32, and live in Kansas. I work 3rd shift and Monday mornings would work great.

Availability: I’m available all of Monday. But would prefer to be done by 6pm est.

Experience: I’ve been playing D&D since I was 12. A little 2nd Ed, a lot of 3rd/3.5/pathfinder, and a couple years of 5th. Been using FG2 since 2008.

Character concepts: The one I most want to play as of right now is- Variant Human/Fighter(battle master)/Noble. He’s a supporty fighter with social capability. He’s a general do gooder(neutral good), a bit of a thrill seeker.
But I have quite a bit of character ideas that fit all roles so, I could play just about anything.

DouglasBryantDE
April 29th, 2019, 18:34
About Me: 45. British. Living in Germany, Played a long time ago, I am getting back in to it. I am looking forward to roll playing again.
Availability: Monday afternoon at 12:30 works for me, as it is 6:30 in the Evening in Germany.
Experience: I am just reading in to 5E now, not Played 5E before, I have ultimate and Bundle.? I am setting up FG nowfor Gm-ing, but I would prefer to play for a while before I go down that road.
Character Concept(s): Human Ranger, I am a professional hunter, whereby a German hunter is more of a Trained ranger, I know my forest and animals, I keep them happy and healthy, and away from Humans as much as possible. It would be nice to give it a shot in game. Otherwise a control / support wizard I was thinking Gnome, sleep, laughter, charm, cromatic, MM. It would be fun to play. I will play any char, enjoy it, and play it well.

Pictures from my Happy animals in my profile.

Found the Ranger you are referring to.

I will keep away from the "Dungeon of the Mad Mage" module, I like surprises.

Nickademus
April 30th, 2019, 14:25
About Me: (Briefly) introduce yourself. How old are you? Where are you from? What should I know about you?
Greetings. I am Nick. I'm 38 from Kansas. You should know that I am reliable. There are other things, but in the online D&D environment, I find this to be the most important.

Availability: What time(s) on Monday mornings and/or afternoons (EST) are you available?
I prefer early but am free any time up to 4pm EST.

Experience: How much experience with 5e do you have? How much experience with Fantasy Grounds do you have? It's fine if you don't have much experience with either; I'm collecting this data only to make sure that I don't recruit a roster of players who are all inexperienced with both.
I have several years experience with 5e as both a player and DM. I have more than that with FG, including the creation of modules and extensions. I am willing to teach players (or DM) either as needed.

Character Concept(s): What sort of character are you thinking of playing (race, class, background, alignment, personality)? If the answer is 'that depends on what everyone else is playing,' that's fine; be only as specific as you can be. Have two or three ideas kicking around? Lay them on me.
I'm wanting to try the new Artificer, possibly as a warforged.

Abandoned Arts
April 30th, 2019, 14:50
Thanks to everyone who's applied so far. I'll be reaching out soon (in a couple days or so); I'm working on advertising the game to potential players on one or two other platforms.

JTB
May 1st, 2019, 02:20
About Me: I own my business, and I am in my late 40's. I live in North Central Iowa.
Availability: I can flex my schedule as needed, so I am available.
Experience: I have been playing 5e for a while now. I have been in several campaigns, bit have never gotten a charracter above 5th level so far. I do play in a campaign on fantasy grounds on wednesday night (tomb of annialation). I have to be honest, I do not know much about Ebberon. Also I have never played either adventure.
Character Concept(s): I would like to play either do a elf rogue, half elf paladin or a Ebberon cleric depending on party make up.

Rogich
May 1st, 2019, 03:35
About Me: I'm 37 from New Jersey. I'm an attorney by trade and at the moment I'm working from home. I try my best to be conscientious of the group and DM. I try my best not to miss any/many sessions, but if I will be missing or late, I always give advance notice. I also try to take care of levelling and other individual character maintenance on my own time so as not to take up the group time doing so.
Availability: I'm available most weekdays between 10:30 AM and 5:00 PM EST.
Experience: I've been playing 5E off and on for about 5 years but most campaigns fall apart fairly quickly so I'm not super familiar with high level play. However, I'm super interested in running the Waterdeep campaigns and would love to experience them in the Eberron setting (even though admittedly I'm not that familiar with it). I've been using FG for about 6 months and feel like I have a solid understanding of it player side to be able to manipulate my PC and do some intermediate coding for effects, actions, etc.
Character Concept(s): I'm happy fill any role we may need within the party but I have some specific concepts for a Wild Magic Sorcerer, Arcane Trickster Rogue, Great Weapon Fighter, or multiclass Cleric/Warlock to be a healer.

Thanks for considering me. I look forward to hearing from you and hope to have a place in your campaign.

GodsEvenNV
May 2nd, 2019, 21:09
Name is Omar and im 30 (almost 31) years young From Philly PA. I am an IT professional and I do voice acting and will bring that do the game, creating an intriguing character
Mondays after 6pm I am free
DND 5e for about 5 years (or more lost count) and Fantasy grounds for about 3 years
Character Concept(s): What sort of character are you thinking of playing (race, class, background, alignment, personality)? If the answer is 'that depends on what everyone else is playing,' that's fine; be only as specific as you can be. Have two or three ideas kicking around? Lay them on me
Looking to try this new build I came up with of a storm sorcerer half elf vairant house lyrandar who is more of an up close and personal caster

JamesKnouse
May 18th, 2019, 08:05
About Me: I am James! 42 DM and pro painter.... many many othervthings.
Availability: I am open to anytime. I make my own schedule
Experience: I am a paid DM most of the time. Very exp from 2e to 5e. I am new with fantasy grounds. I have an Ultimate License.
Character Concept(s): I would be interested in an Artificer or a Cleric. I am open to fill group holes.