PDA

View Full Version : Sign Language / Finger Spell Fonts

mattekure
April 29th, 2019, 13:52
Now Available on the Fantasy Grounds Forge: https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/63/view

This extension adds 3 sign language fonts which can be used for languages. The included fonts are freely available from https://www.fontspace.com/category/sign%20language

I have included:

Gallaudet
Handsign
Handtalk

Example

It should work in all CoreRPG based rulesets.

1.0 initial release
1.1 Updated to make it much less likely to conflict with other language/font extensions.
1.2 Added several rulesets, 2E, PFRPG2, SFRPG. Removed MoreCore until I figure it out.

madman
April 29th, 2019, 15:04
Very Cool!

Blahness98
April 29th, 2019, 15:37
Thanks for the extension. While the finger spelling itself is nice and can be deciphered easily by those that know how to finger spell, would it be possible to scramble the text? Right now you can just drag the text and see what was typed. But once again, not too important..

Trenloe
April 29th, 2019, 15:54
... would it be possible to scramble the text? Right now you can just drag the text and see what was typed. But once again, not too important..
It's scrambled on the client side for those whose PC doesn't understand the language.

mattekure
April 29th, 2019, 16:13
As far as I know, all the scrambling code is in the ruleset. I wouldn't know how to edit that even if I wanted to yet. If you want scrambled text, you can always create a new language the players will not know or have added on their char sheet, then use that one. they will always receive the scrambled text that way. I like to use these for Thieves' Cant. You can also use them not just to represent letters, but many of the symbols could have other meanings that the players learn over time.

paladiusdarkhelm
May 3rd, 2019, 21:17
Hi, Matt. Can this be enabled in addition to other language extensions or would these neat new options need to be incorporated into a language extension if you are already running one?

mattekure
May 3rd, 2019, 21:21
Hi, Matt. Can this be enabled in addition to other language extensions or would these neat new options need to be incorporated into a language extension if you are already running one?

I don’t know. If it does cause a problem I can take a stab at making it more compatible.

mattekure
May 3rd, 2019, 22:26

I think I have adjusted it to avoid any font conflicts. originally the extension was directly overwriting the ruleset font definition, but that could cause an issue as different rulesets may use different languages/fonts. So this one now just appends the new fonts to the list so they are available, but the ruleset still defines the fonts themselves. Hopefully it means its unlikely to break during ruleset updates. This should work with any ruleset based on corerpg.

paladiusdarkhelm
May 6th, 2019, 03:28
Awesome, Matt!

Asterionaisien
February 9th, 2020, 15:03
Hello, I've tried your extension, and i admit it's a really cool one:D
Howewer, at the moment it seems to work (for me, at least) only with D&D 5th ed, but not with other rulesets.
I've specifically tried the extension with morecore 1.52 and D&D classic. Maybe am I doing something wrong?
Tyvm in advance!

mattekure
February 9th, 2020, 15:34
Hello, I've tried your extension, and i admit it's a really cool one:D
Howewer, at the moment it seems to work (for me, at least) only with D&D 5th ed, but not with other rulesets.
I've specifically tried the extension with morecore 1.52 and D&D classic. Maybe am I doing something wrong?
Tyvm in advance!

Thanks, I'll take a look and see if I can figure out whats going on. I think the 2E one is just a simple tweak to the available rulesets. but I need to figure out how morecore does language fonts.

mattekure
February 9th, 2020, 15:54
I just updated the OP with a new version that adds 2E, SFRPG, and PFRPG2 to the list of compatible rulesets. I removed MoreCore until I figure it out.

Rrok007
April 23rd, 2020, 00:54
It looks Unity is having problems with the font for this extension as well...

[4/22/2020 6:07:26 PM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] font: Unable to load file (TTF Fonts/HANDSIGN.TTF) for font (HandSign). [Font Sign Language] [extension.xml]

mattekure
April 23rd, 2020, 02:26
I've been looking into it, and its something to do with the handsign.ttf file itself. for whatever reason, Unity doesnt read it. The other two fonts work fine. Unless something changes with Unity, the only way to make this compatible is to remove the handsign font option.

Sudain
March 1st, 2021, 06:38
Is there a way to generalize this so it can be used with any of ttf fonts? I'm looking at adding giant as a written language in my PFRPG game... :)

mattekure
March 1st, 2021, 12:11
Is there a way to generalize this so it can be used with any of ttf fonts? I'm looking at adding giant as a written language in my PFRPG game... :)

take a look at this one which should show you generically how to add your own ttf. Font ttfs have to be added as part of an extension.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?62058-Extended-Language-Fonts

Sudain
March 1st, 2021, 17:38
Gotcha, thank you!

elfmage
August 24th, 2021, 18:38
This is amazing, thank you!