PDA

View Full Version : Get OS from API?

celestian
April 26th, 2019, 15:23
I've been digging around and can't find anything like this... is it possible to get the OS and version from within the FG API?

I've tried a few basic LUA options that would but I suspect they are blocked.

Valyar
April 26th, 2019, 18:05
Out of curiosity why would you want to do that?

celestian
April 26th, 2019, 18:56
Out of curiosity why would you want to do that?

There is a bug with a specific OS version with a feature I use and I'd like to "disable" that feature automatically if they are using it. (Very old OS version).

Varsuuk
April 28th, 2019, 02:26
It would be a trivial thing (I would think) for the exe FG installer to setup a variable in the general db, I forget the name, where it could list the version. Unfortunately, should they upgrade in place, it would be off... so I realized that as I typed this.

I guess even easier would be the downloader - it could certainly call an OS lib via the C++ or whatever to get this info and send in the update request where then you can have more than one set of data to update them with, with the fix and without?

Just spitballin'

(Back in the 90s, I used to have to write pretty complex InstallShield scripts due to the changing Windows setups between older, NT, XP, 95 whatever was around. I had to handle 16 vs 32 bit too if I recall. Different times for software delivery though.)

Moon Wizard
April 28th, 2019, 07:15
It's something we can look at adding in FGU, because we'll be able to query the OS from the Unity API. However, for the current version of FG, there is no easy way to query the OS, since it's always running as a Windows executable. (i.e. Windows emulation on Mac/Linux) While there may be some creative ways to figure this out that I'm not familiar with, there is no bandwidth for non-FGU updates at this point.

Cheers,
JPG

celestian
April 28th, 2019, 07:38
It's something we can look at adding in FGU, because we'll be able to query the OS from the Unity API. However, for the current version of FG, there is no easy way to query the OS, since it's always running as a Windows executable. (i.e. Windows emulation on Mac/Linux) While there may be some creative ways to figure this out that I'm not familiar with, there is no bandwidth for non-FGU updates at this point.

Cheers,
JPG

Understood. For now I've done some overriding of CoreRPG code to deal with it. I was hoping I could avoid doing that (I don't like overriding CoreRPG unless I must).