PDA

View Full Version : Syrinscape Issue/Question

Gwydion
April 26th, 2019, 14:39
So, I have had an issue with Syrinscape for the last two years but I haven't seen anyone else face the same issue. I've tried everything I can think of and I'm just trying to figure out why it happens. I thought I'd post here to get some ideas on it. I think I raised this a long time ago but thought I would try again.

I use a one computer (laptop) setup. I'm running voicemeeter potato for sound and I'm wondering if I'm just trying to do too much with my laptop capabilities. I run the syrinscape desktop version on my computer with the DOE:Sound extension and Rob2e's sound module. I also run sounds using Ableton Live Lite and sometimes TableTop audio and other programs. Here is the issue. When I first start a game, the automated chatsounds (Rob2e's module) and sounds in general within Fantasy Grounds work and trigger just fine. Whether its the automated chatsounds or I trigger a sound within FG using the sound module links (purple clef) or I trigger a sound directly from syrinscape player it all works. Without fail, however, sometime during the session the sounds within FG stop working. The automated chatsounds don't trigger or if I click on the purple clef to trigger manually it doesn't work. If I go to syrinscape player directly and play a sound it still works fine.

I'm using cleanfeed and discord for various things but I don't think that is the issue. Its not that I hear sounds and the players don't, but rather I don't hear sounds from Syrinscape at all when it happens unless I go directly to the Syrinscape player and play something. It feels like its some kind of memory leak or something? Its just strange that I've never heard anyone else have the issue and it happens in my games almost every time without fail.

Any thoughts/ideas would be welcome. I can most more detail on my setup if that would help. Thanks!

Trenloe
April 26th, 2019, 14:50
If you restart Syrinscape does the issue go away for a while?

Put the same URL that the FG links use directly into a browser - does it play in Syrinscape or not? If it does, then you know it's probably an issue with FG issuing the OLE link to the Windows OS, if it fails, then it's something to do with the Windows OLE connection into Syrinscape.

Gwydion
April 26th, 2019, 14:53
If you restart Syrinscape does the issue go away for a while?

Put the same URL that the FG links use directly into a browser - does it play in Syrinscape or not? If it does, then you know it's probably an issue with FG issuing the OLE link to the Windows OS, if it fails, then it's something to do with the Windows OLE connection into Syrinscape.

Yes. That is my usual go-to move (restarting Syrinscape). Good suggestion on putting the link directly in browser. I'll try that next time it occurs. Thanks!

Trenloe
April 26th, 2019, 14:58
Also make sure you keep relatively up-to-date on your Syrinscape version - last time I looked there's no auto-update or new version check. I had all the latest soundsets, but I was running a version that was over a year old.

Gwydion
April 26th, 2019, 15:00
Also make sure you keep relatively up-to-date on your Syrinscape version - last time I looked there's no auto-update or new version check. I had all the latest soundsets, but I was running a version that was over a year old.

Thanks. I do try to update on occasion but not every new update.

jasonthelamb
April 26th, 2019, 20:11
Also a suggestion: Syrinscape Online

Currently in beta, but I have found it works very well!

https://www.syrinscape.com/online/

Gwydion
April 26th, 2019, 21:17
Also a suggestion: Syrinscape Online

Currently in beta, but I have found it works very well!

https://www.syrinscape.com/online/

Thanks jasonthelamb. I have tried the online tool and for a variety of reasons prefer the player. Appreciate the suggestion though!

DwightLee
May 2nd, 2019, 20:53
I cant contribute, but thought I would mention that I loved reading this as it is pointing me to things I have never heard of, never heard of VB Potato, nor Rob2E sound module, I am using Syrenscape, VB Banana and DOE only, my setup works great.

Hector Trelane
May 2nd, 2019, 21:30
So, I have had an issue with Syrinscape for the last two years but I haven't seen anyone else face the same issue. I've tried everything I can think of and I'm just trying to figure out why it happens. I thought I'd post here to get some ideas on it. I think I raised this a long time ago but thought I would try again.

I use a one computer (laptop) setup. I'm running voicemeeter potato for sound and I'm wondering if I'm just trying to do too much with my laptop capabilities. I run the syrinscape desktop version on my computer with the DOE:Sound extension and Rob2e's sound module. I also run sounds using Ableton Live Lite and sometimes TableTop audio and other programs. Here is the issue. When I first start a game, the automated chatsounds (Rob2e's module) and sounds in general within Fantasy Grounds work and trigger just fine. Whether its the automated chatsounds or I trigger a sound within FG using the sound module links (purple clef) or I trigger a sound directly from syrinscape player it all works. Without fail, however, sometime during the session the sounds within FG stop working. The automated chatsounds don't trigger or if I click on the purple clef to trigger manually it doesn't work. If I go to syrinscape player directly and play a sound it still works fine.

I'm using cleanfeed and discord for various things but I don't think that is the issue. Its not that I hear sounds and the players don't, but rather I don't hear sounds from Syrinscape at all when it happens unless I go directly to the Syrinscape player and play something. It feels like its some kind of memory leak or something? Its just strange that I've never heard anyone else have the issue and it happens in my games almost every time without fail.

Any thoughts/ideas would be welcome. I can most more detail on my setup if that would help. Thanks!

Gwydion, I'm using your setup--Cleanfeed with Voicemeeter BANANA--and it still works fine. (In fact, the best.) I don't use the auto-sounds and DOE extension much since I'm playing games it doesn't support.

There are a couple times when a link I created using your manual method seem to have gone dead, but I chalked that up to FG updates (just a guess on my part).

I find I'm doing a lot of manual DJing since I have only so much prep time. In an ideal world all the extensions would be compatible with all rulesets and we could use it all seamlessly.

Gwydion
May 2nd, 2019, 21:50
Great to hear! I still love my setup. I've always had this issue though with VM whether it is Banana or Potato. Maybe it is something specific to what I'm doing. I do throw a lot at my machine and once I reboot syrinscape it seems to work fine for a while again. I'm not tech guy but just feels like a memory leak or some kind buffer overflow or something. Oh well. All good. Still have a blast when I can run a game.

DwightLee
May 3rd, 2019, 16:43
It working for a while, and then not working, really does sound like that kind of issue Gwydion