PDA

View Full Version : Shadowrun 4th Ed - Character Sheet Ruleset

sloejack
September 9th, 2006, 23:53
I'm working on a character sheet ruleset for 4th Edition Shadowrun. The interface I made is based on the UI seen in the movie "The Island" and the windows on the doctor's desk/computer. Mostly I'm just fishing for thoughts on the layout and concept at the moment. I'll have the rest of the frames completed tonight and then start on the XML to make it all work. An example can be seen here:

*EDIT* Sample Images were removed since the design changed.

Scelous
September 10th, 2006, 00:32
Sounds good. I'm stoked.

mr_h
September 11th, 2006, 14:18
That's a nice, clean character sheet.
Very cool:)

sloejack
September 11th, 2006, 18:40
Thanks for the feedback. I've linked up the skills page which I'm having some issues with from a visual perspective. I think the font is too small but on the other hand, there's a lot of data for this sheet. Anyone have some thoughts on how to make it more readable yet still maintain the functionality that it needs?

sloejack
September 11th, 2006, 23:57
I've posted up the gear sheet as well as revamps of the Main and Skills pages. Trying to use the skills listed like in the d20 sheet proved to be too small to read. Revamping the spell and final sheets and I'll get them posted tonight. Some of the changes I'm making for personal use will prevent me from publishing that version of the CSR. I'll remove the IP material from it and post something that should be ok to distribute publicly.

mr_h
September 12th, 2006, 15:05
If the fonts for the skills are small to squeeze them on one page, it might be worth splitting skills into two seperate sheets (Active on one, knowledge on the other).

same with gear...I've seen lots of cyberware before:)

Taleen
March 27th, 2007, 11:12
can somebody please tell me how to get this ruleset ??

sloejack
March 27th, 2007, 11:53
I have not published this ruleset. As I looked at the things I wanted to do, the FG2 beta started and I saw that I'd have to re-do a lot of work so I opted to place this project on hold. I will have something for the masses shortly after version 2 releases.

Insanity
April 12th, 2007, 01:33
What graphic program are you using to create the character sheet pages?

sloejack
April 13th, 2007, 21:18
What graphic program are you using to create the character sheet pages?

I have access to and some skill with photoshop so that's what I use. There's lots of free and pay for options out there, the closest one to photoshop that I've used is The Gimp which is free and supports many of the desirable functions for doing something like this such as image layers, texturing/transformation functions, and grid layout.

Ramid
April 24th, 2007, 08:47
Looks great :) keep up the good work.

sloejack
April 25th, 2007, 14:00
For the time being I think I'm going to drop the art that I did for the character sheets. I like it, I really do, but for this first pass of the conversion I'm sticking to a modified d20 like theme. Since I no longer need to worry about creating all of the bubbles and fields on the graphic that has made the effort much easier. Since there seems to be a relatively healthy demand for it, I'm focusing on pushing out a first version in the next couple of weeks. I have one other project that is of a bit higher priority so don't hang your hopes on exactly two weeks, it's just a rough estimate based on what I percieve as neccessary for a first version.

Irian
April 27th, 2007, 20:23
There's surely a healthy demand for it - I would like to see a working version (and FG II has great potential to automize many details of the combat, like initiative, etc.).

sloejack
April 27th, 2007, 20:36
Yes, though I have to be careful with how much I automate similar to restrictions with the d20 license. Though with the recent announcement that the shadowrun license is changing hands from fanpro to inmediares there may be an opportunity to reapproach and see about building a commercial ruleset.

sloejack
May 13th, 2007, 14:37
Just a quick status note, I am putting this effort on hold for up to 3 months. My current proect and family load is making it impossible to put any serious time into this. My time will free up around August as I complete the major project I'm currently working on.

Inept
May 13th, 2007, 18:03
Nice clean sheet,

Not that I'm being picky about 4th Ed, but I'm a hardened 2nd edition player new to fantasy grounds, does anyone know if there is a 2nd edition package available?

sloejack
August 22nd, 2007, 16:01
Ok, back from Gen Con and I'm picking this effort back up. I'll try and have new screen shots available next week.

Irian
August 25th, 2007, 23:16
Sounds great, I'm very curious and would really like to use FG for some Shadowrun gaming :-)

sloejack
December 9th, 2007, 14:11
So I've gotten back at it again as I hit a gap in some of my other work, attached is a screenshot of what I currently have, I'm still reworking the charactersheet and there's a number of coding/scripting activities I still need to do to complete it.

Blue Haven
December 9th, 2007, 23:12
Wonderful work :D keep on the good work man!!

Neojackal
December 10th, 2007, 01:38
Oooh. That looks very nice. I never saw the original you had made, but I like this. And Shadowrun? Yay!

Irian
December 10th, 2007, 03:54
I've seen your old ideas and so I'm pretty sure you'll do a really fine job with this sheet :-)

TNW
December 13th, 2007, 04:46
Way to go Chummer. Looks good. I cant wait.

sloejack
December 14th, 2007, 01:47
Here's another screen shot of the character sheet main page. I'm starting to dig into some the coding parts of it for the condition monitor and I'm running into some confusing parts. This may be due to trying to hack the d20 ruleset rather than go from scratch but it's tough to say at this point.

Blue Haven
December 14th, 2007, 13:19
wooow you must share this stuff dude!! :D

sloejack
December 14th, 2007, 15:36
Thanks to a good mentor last night I was able to peer through the veil of confusion around how some of the coding works in FG2. I was able to wrap up the condition monitor stuff this morning. I'm now progressing on to the qualities lister and that should be it for the main page. From the 2 page character sheet in the book I'll move the active and knowledge skills to a seperate tab which will be my next task. After that, on to page 2 which is honestly just a lot of list stuff, so should go fairly quickly.

MadJack
February 11th, 2008, 23:43
Very interested in this one. Any word on progress?

sloejack
February 12th, 2008, 03:23
Slow. About the best word to describe it at the moment. It's a project I do when I'm not doing my day job or family responsibilities. I've contemplated just putting the framework out there, the issue bieng that there really wouldn't be much functionality to the charactersheet other than having a place to type in numbers. Your milage my vary on how useful that actually is. I'll see about cleaning out the bugs and offer it up as a blank form sans functionality. Given my schedule I wouldn't expect to see it until Friday or Saturday.

Dragonstar
February 14th, 2008, 22:21
Excellent work! And if you keep this up, I might actually have to try running a Shadowrun game - which friends have been nagging me to do.

sloejack
February 16th, 2008, 23:22
This may stretch another day. There's one piece of functionality that I do want in the version I release and I'm getting some help with it. The person working on that piece will be getting it to me either later today or tomorrow at which point I'll need to plug in some final updates to the release version and then I'll have something for folks to look at.

Save-vs-DM
February 24th, 2008, 07:37
Looks awesome. Very much looking forward to this!

Ramid
March 16th, 2008, 16:28
Looks beutifull hope to see the full product soon :)

sloejack
March 16th, 2008, 20:02
Getting closer. I've got some help on some of the graphical elements although concidering the sheer quantity that will probably be a continued work in progress. I'm hope to at least get a base theme in place before release and then push out graphical updates in logical groups as they become available.

sloejack
March 30th, 2008, 01:57
Still working on this thing but I thought I'd share the new look from the graphics updates.

Aiyarree
March 30th, 2008, 03:21
Greetings :-)

Thanks for keeping us up to date :-)
I hope to use this in my upcomeing campaign. This will make my work as GM much easyer than all i tryed befor.

TNW
April 10th, 2008, 14:51
Looking Great. Any news on this being finish? I am very excited to get to play SR4.

Merc1
April 18th, 2008, 16:27
Looks great sloejack, keep up the excellent work.

ShadowedKnight
April 25th, 2008, 07:15
Is the ruleset for this game done or not?

I'm curious about running a game so I am very hopeful that it is done.

It does look very nice though so keep up the work.

Stuart
April 25th, 2008, 12:52
A full ruleset no - as far as I understand there is no license agreement etc etc
However, Sloejack is working on the charactrersheet and combat tracker and graphics to give a functional ruleset without breaking any proprietary licenses.

I took the material in the free "fast play" pdf and have almost finished putting that into a few modules.

When it's all done ... Sloejack will holla ;-)

ShadowedKnight
April 25th, 2008, 18:13
Well when it is done I'd like it he'd contact me about it because I have several players interested in playing a Shadowrun 4th Edition game :-D

Raij
May 8th, 2008, 22:16
Well when it is done I'd like it he'd contact me about it because I have several players interested in playing a Shadowrun 4th Edition game :-D

sloejack is spending his free time on this for all of us already, least you could do is spend your free time to check this thread for updates.

Aiyarree
May 25th, 2008, 14:47
Hi :-)

A new status repord would be very interesting.

Aiyarree
June 29th, 2008, 12:33
Actions speak louder than words.

I think this project will never get final.

Blahness98
June 29th, 2008, 14:15
Actions speak louder than words.

I think this project will never get final.

Just wow... It takes a while to do a full blown conversion of a rule set. Just give him time. It's not like he is going to be getting paid to create the thing, it is something that he is making in his free time. Bet you there are things more important than a rule set that are taking his time.

ShadowedKnight
June 29th, 2008, 14:24
Well, from the sounds of it he is extremely busy, and could probably get this done faster if he asked for assistance. However, while he is doing this for free, he has been talking/working on/hinting at this for about two years now. What I do know of xml/html/etc is that it doesn't take two years to finish something on this small of a scale.

However, I'm patient and am no longer looking to run a Shadowrun campaign over FG, so I can wait.

Also, I'd like to thank him for at least working on this and getting it mostly finished even without giving some more recent updates.

Aiyarree
June 29th, 2008, 21:21
However, while he is doing this for free, he has been talking/working on/hinting at this for about two years now. What I do know of xml/html/etc is that it doesn't take two years to finish something on this small of a scale.

Thats it. If i work 2 Jears on something i have results even if it is a hobby. Indeed i can learn a whole programing language like C# in two jears. Else it is not more than warm wishes.

Sorontar
June 29th, 2008, 21:52
Thats it. If i work 2 Jears on something i have results even if it is a hobby. Indeed i can learn a whole programing language like C# in two jears. Else it is not more than warm wishes.

Hmm and by being such an ingrate you may have just knocked any chance of the developer finishing it for the community.

Were I developing something and come back onto the board to say I'd finished it, I'd take one look at posts like that and walk away. Posting it to those I had had contact with personally and let the rest whistle. I wouldn't even let you know you weren't getting it, I'd just leave you hanging.

These guys who work on rulesets for us, do so in their own time for nothing but the love of the game and the community. I'm thankful for any effort that they are making as I for one cannot.

If you can learn C+ in 2 years, be quite and learn lua/xml, go away and come back with your ruleset.

Only the second time I have been disgusted by a post on this forum, congratulations :mad:

Stuart
June 29th, 2008, 22:04
I've helped with a fair number of rulesets and I can guarantee that the time involved in even the simpler elements (pdf --> module) is not inconsiderable.. Given that this was intended as a free module by one of the Community's more talented individual's ...

A check of threads will probably give you a clue as to why a SR ruleset has not been quickly forthcoming. I'm sure it will happen, heck ... if it's that easy ... go do it yourself, you'll find lots of people will be only to pleased to use it and, some may even offer to help.

Oberoten
June 30th, 2008, 06:13
Also if he is anything like me (also been working at mine for about 2 years) he might have a somewhat workable version right now, but with house-rules implemented. Getting one out for public comsumption might be less of a priority.

But as others have said... If it is so easy, why not go build a few and sell to DA, they'd be delighted to give you some good cash for your work and the little time you'd have to invest being that fast.

Faradon
September 1st, 2008, 18:24
Any new developments on a SR4 ruleset? Anyone else been working on one?

Actarus
October 4th, 2008, 08:11
Any news since 6 months Sloejack, it's very hard for us to rest in silence. Could you give us some news on your work please? I hope you didn't give up because you do a very nice job!

glacius
October 6th, 2008, 14:29
Now where are the games :)

Irian
October 7th, 2008, 10:14
You're in the wrong forum. This thread is for the Shadowrun Ruleset, not for Shadowrun games... But it doesn't seem likely, that there will be an SR4 ruleset soon...

Fenloh
October 12th, 2008, 22:57
You can try the one i made.

Fenloh

TNW
October 14th, 2008, 15:39
You can try the one i made.

Fenloh
Can you post a link to your ruleset Fenloh?

Fenloh
October 14th, 2008, 17:16
I am sorry, i dont have an ftp to upload. Send me a pm with your email, and i mail it.

I am still continuously working on it.

Fenloh

Irian
October 14th, 2008, 19:59
You could simply use Rapidshare or any other file hosting site...

Fenloh
October 14th, 2008, 20:13
Well if there are lots of people who want the Mod then ill do that. But i doubt it.

Anyway, the Graphics are just being redone.

Fenloh

Fenloh
October 17th, 2008, 15:22
New Version SR4 0.5 R9

New Graphics, will eventually changed in the future to some degree

Weapons in a List
New Drones/Vehicles page
some other minor Changes

Fenloh

sloejack
October 19th, 2008, 03:57
Just checking in for a bit. I'm noticing that the last time I was active on the forums was quite some time ago. Somewhat sorry for falling off of the face of the virtual earth but work and family have been grinding me up quite a bit.

I was asked today if someone could release what I had done on my ruleset (along with presumably their own efforts) to the public which I agreed to. So, I would expect to see some sort of announcement soon about that. While I would certainly love to finish it up, the primary driver for me doing it was so I could play and unfortunately gaming time has been in short supply as well so at the moment I don't have a lot of motivation to work on it. Here's hoping that I can return to my extra curricular projects in the near future.

joshuha
October 19th, 2008, 22:20
Credit goes to sloejack for the character sheet and layout, Devin for some of the graphics, and I did a little of the coding behind the scenes.

Please note this is nowhere near complete and is in a very unfinished state. However, since there are others in the community actively working on a ruleset we felt it may help with efforts or give ideas.

Link to ruleset here:
https://www.fouruglymonsters.com/SR4.zip

Fenloh
October 20th, 2008, 16:17
New Version SR4 0.6 R15

Exploding Dice with Edgerolls
Edgerolls usage with checkbox
Edge counts up with Edgechecks

Changes to Drones and Vehicles,

more minor Changes

If you like to have the Ruleset, Write me a PM, Since i dont have an ftp and dont like those free download ftpsites.

Fenloh

Jeffrey.Teague
November 7th, 2008, 15:08
Thanks Guys your Rulesets are great.
I have some experience in programming and other tinkering things if you were to want my help please feel free to PM me.

PneumaPilot
November 10th, 2008, 05:41
This thing looks great. I love the custom graphics.

Fenloh
November 14th, 2008, 06:15
With this posting i send special Thanks to Sloejack. He provided me with a reasonable ftp where i was able to upload the ruleset to.

The ruleset 0.6.20 is a playable Version.
- there is no Handbook yet, but most things you do know
- rolls are on drag and drop (checkfields)
- edgerolls are working

Fenloh

Link: https://www.gamesforlife.org/fenloh/

ArthurLovat
November 14th, 2008, 10:33
Many thanks to everyone who helped making this!
We players owe you guys!

devinnight
November 16th, 2008, 00:48
if anyone wants the graphic files to continue working on them contact me.
[email protected]

They are in Illustrator and Photoshop format.

-D

i101
January 21st, 2009, 00:58
Nice work, thank all of ya for this nice module, and opefully we can expect something new on this one.

Fenloh
January 21st, 2009, 16:09
Well i do have a slightly altered Version, but i need more Input in what else you want. For my Group it is enough, but i bet you like to see more features.

Fenloh

Fenloh
February 24th, 2009, 17:12
Well, i know, that several People are using the Ruleset for SR4. There will be a new Version of it soon with several things done.

CT will now have the Data of PC and NPC when you drag them to it. Probably there will be a Round and Initiativepass handling, you can Roll attacks for the NPCs from the CT.
Changes on the Charsheet, like Draincheck, Categories for the Inventory, Sorting of Skills, Weapons, Spells and others. Probably Spells and Programs will be divided also there will most likly be an own page for Elements/Ghosts and Agents/Sprites.
Minor Changes of the NPC and most likely there will be a short Documentation. Graphics will most likley not redone yet. I have hade several People now that wanted to make some Graphics, but either gave up, once they realized that there are some things to be done, or just didnt reply any more. * sigh *

Anyway, I still need replys from the Players and DMs that used an old Version. Please give me some input and share your Ideas.

Fenloh

i101
February 26th, 2009, 00:36
@Fenloh: I am using the "old" Version (0.6.20). I would like to see a more clearer weapon sheet if possible?! Right now the actual version is very confusing and messy. And to be honest I find it confusing too too have my Phys Max and Phys Current Stats in the combat, spells, others and weapon tab. Furthermore you could save more space by using smaller Fonts.. But how am I.. I can only criticize. Keep up the good work mate and thank you.

Fenloh
February 26th, 2009, 05:35
Ah critizism. You ask for it, and you hopefully get it * grins *.

The condition of the Char is necessary on all the pages. during a Combat you may not only be on the Combat Page, but also you will be using Spells and maybe even Skills. So that you dont need to switch around all the time I have put the Fields on almost all pages. I even have added Drain to it. I wanted to add the Attributes too, but there was not nuff space and you dont really need them all the time.

The Weaponsheet is messy, that is correct, but i am not sure on how to change it to get better. I will try to change it, but if you have an Idea, it would be great to know.

The Fonts are not very good to read, they will be changed somewhen during the Process. I guess you are using a small resolution on your monitor, therefore the Fonts may really look big. I came to using them, because i am using a resoluton of 1920*1200. They dont look so big any more on that resolution. I hope, if i find a Font, that is good to read, fits the Ruleset and is Cost Free, that it can be changed a little.

Thanks for the Critics, and please more of it, if possible with Ideas on how you would change what you dont like.

Fenloh

i101
February 26th, 2009, 20:09
Hmm if you like I could post a sketch of an alternativ Charsheet. Unfortunately I have no clue how to work with Fantasy Grounds, otherwise I would give it a try. Is it based on XML? An how do you work, just with an Editor, or is there somekind of tool?

Regarding the resolution: I am using a resolution of 1600x1580.. What is the Font Type that you used?

Fenloh
February 26th, 2009, 22:03
The Sheet is made in XML with Notepad Editor ++.

Picutres are allways great, maybe there are some Ideas i like.

I am not sure what font it is, I think Arial or something. There is a Font generator for FG. I can send you the Names of the Fonts i am using with the Ruleset and that program, then you can play around with it. Then you can send me the FG Fonts and i will implement them.

The Font being used must be a free Font Type, so that there are no Copyright problems.

Just send me your email adress via PM

Fenloh

i101
February 27th, 2009, 14:38
I am familiar with Notepad ++. But I would be Interested into this Font Generator. PM with my Email is out.. :)

Fenloh
March 7th, 2009, 11:10
I am in need of someone reliable and willing to work on the Graphics for the SR4 Ruleset. We are getting closer to the 1.o Version and the graphics need a facelift.

Also i hope for more feedback from players and GMs using the Ruleset.

So far the CT got a workover and should be ready soon.
Also the Charsheet got a workover and has now several Subwindows. Contacts, Vehicles, Drones, Spells, Spirits, Programs, Sprites, Agents and so on have their own subwindow now.
The inventory will get Categories and should be done soon.

If you have Ideas for the Fonts, tell me. Right now we are thinking of using standard Arial.

Fenloh

Fenloh
March 15th, 2009, 09:40
The New Version is almost done, but atm i am stuck with a minor Problem.

In the inventorylist there is a field Name, with is a "textlistitemvalue" field. unfortunatly that field i cannot drag. There are other fields that i can drag (the Handcursur is showing up).

I know the command "nodrag" if i dont want that field to be draged, but this command is not used.

How can i make that name field in the Inventory "dragable"?

Sorry for my bad english, i hope you understand what i am talking about.

Fenloh

Fenloh
March 18th, 2009, 08:36
The newest Version is now available on the FG Wiki.

Thanks a lot Oberoten for hosting it.

Several things are still being redone, but this Version is a lot more comfortable then the last one. CT is better, Charsheet has new things on it and some things in the Background changed.

If you have critisizm oder Ideas, dont hesitate to post or pm them.

Fenloh

Thanks also to Antares for changing the CT,
Thanks to liwi for changing some Graphics,
and thanks to Sloejack for allowing to use some of his Graphics.

i101
March 18th, 2009, 23:34
Hoi Fenloh,

first I want to apologize, I promised to post a sketch of an alternativ Charsheet but somehow I didnt find the time to go for it. Sorry mate.

I just downloaded the actual version and noticed following problem with the CT. See for urself:

https://img291.imageshack.us/img291/6300/screenshot0001.th.png (https://img291.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screenshot0001.png)

Do only I have the overlapping abbreviations?

Fenloh
March 19th, 2009, 05:55
Dang.. we changed the Font. Its in all the Versions. Ill fix it with the next Version.

Thanks for the reply.

How do you like the pimped sheets?

Fenloh

i101
March 20th, 2009, 00:45
They new Sheets are very nice! Thumbs up! While clicking thru I noticed some other small errors. See again for yourself:

https://img6.imageshack.us/img6/6364/screenshot0002.th.png (https://img6.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screenshot0002.png)
https://img9.imageshack.us/img9/2761/screenshot0003.th.png (https://img9.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screenshot0003.png)

Keep up the good work and best regards.

Fenloh
March 20th, 2009, 08:17
I dont really have the Eye for the "small" things.. i am more the Guy for the bigger things. I can admire beauty, i just dont have the hands for it. Thanks for the screenies.

There are some more of these smaller issues on the sheet. Tabtargets, frames and other small things.

Fenloh

Fenloh
April 5th, 2009, 11:51
Version 0.7 is now almost ready the coming Versions 0.8 will be finetuning and the 0.9 will be the last Beta to clear out as many problems and mistakes as Possible.

For the upcoming Version I do need someone to work an the Graphics and the "fine" tuning. To make things nice and neat. There are already several Graphics that need a bit more tuning. Also the Tabtargets some Sizes of some fields and some Frames need to be looked over.
Also a Revision of the Documentation would be nice.

Anyone interested, send me a PM please. Thanks in Advance.