PDA

View Full Version : DnD Beyond to Fantasy Grounds XML conversion tool.

Laerun
April 20th, 2019, 04:54
If you have some characters made and built in DnD Beyond, you can convert your PC into Fantasy Grounds format. A handy tool created by Boomer ET, and donated to the community is live and can be found at; This tool is still a work in progress and will get better over time with testing, encouragement, and patience. This will only work with the DnD5e Ruleset, and you must have a subscription to a DnD Beyond account. Convert DnD Beyond nd into Fantasy Grounds, a handy conversion tool! The tool has some issues with inventory and spells, but most of the other things will convert over. For issues, please report via the web page.

Have fun!

Laerun
https://fantasygroundscollege.net/

MOD: Removed link

Zansobar
May 5th, 2019, 17:07
I just tried this tool but it doesn't seem to work. Nothing happens after I hit the button after putting in the DnD Beyond Character number in the box. I'm using Vivaldi as my browser is there any trick to get this to work, does the browser matter, or is there a setting that needs to be set in the browser to get it to work?

LordEntrails
May 5th, 2019, 19:03
I haven't used this tool, but your question about trying another browser, yes, I would try something mainstream like IE, Edge, or Chrome.

midas
May 6th, 2019, 19:15
I just tried it in both Chrome and Firefox and nothing populated in the XML box for me, either. I wonder if they changed something security-wise on the site recently to prevent scraping this data.

Targas
May 6th, 2019, 19:20
End User Error...
It works like a charm for me. Check if your DnD Beyond Char is set to Public. Private chars cannot be accessed. Cheers.

midas
May 6th, 2019, 20:06
Yep, all my characters are set to public. Tried it on three different machines as well. Nothing whatsoever happens when I click Get Character Data, have tried on 4 or 5 of my characters.

To be clear, I'm following the instructions on the site and entering just the numeric character ID in the box.

I can go to a machine that's never logged into dndbeyond and go to https://www.dndbeyond.com/characters/XXXXXX and the character sheet comes up so I know the character info is public.

notrealdan
May 6th, 2019, 20:48
Same for me, characters are public and the XML doesn't come up at all. It used to work. I've converted several characters this way in the past.

notrealdan
May 7th, 2019, 23:27
I contacted the creator and he’s fixed it. Works for me again!

midas
May 7th, 2019, 23:35
Yep, working here now as well.

Zansobar
May 8th, 2019, 01:07
Yep works like a charm for me too!

Saintvan
December 28th, 2019, 06:34
good afternoon, is this still a good link to use for converting characters from dnd beyond over

LordEntrails
December 28th, 2019, 07:28
good afternoon, is this still a good link to use for converting characters from dnd beyond over
Welcome to the forums :)

Good question, I would think it does. But, if no one else answers feel free to reach out to Laerun directly through the FG College Discord channel; https://discordapp.com/invite/Ew6nYyw
He's a nice guy and I'm sure will have an answer for you.

Laerun
December 29th, 2019, 16:58
Yes, it still works. The conversion tool is not 100%. I would leave spells, gear, and custom stuff off your character sheet
and chose those in your FG campaign. Also, multiclassing or exotic custom builds do not work out well either.

calexus
February 14th, 2020, 22:31
site is now inactive, gutted, I've used this lots since starting on FG a month ago

Tolk63
February 15th, 2020, 02:51
Clicked the link and just received the following....

My apologies

Scraping/parsing JSON data from D&D Beyond breaks the Terms of Service.

Until they come up with a public API, this site will remain inactive.
Should you feel strongly, please contact D&D Beyond.

gritbaby
February 15th, 2020, 15:40
Looks like it is back online, peoples! Thank you, Boomer!

Ludd_G
February 15th, 2020, 17:38
Huzzah! Fingers crossed this is a permanent change! :D

Laerun
February 15th, 2020, 21:09
This has been discontinued and taken down. It was in violation of the DnD Beyond TOS.