PDA

View Full Version : New Damage Types?

SailorLovins
April 18th, 2019, 03:04
Is there an extension or some other way to introduce new damage types into the 5th edition ruleset?

Zacchaeus
April 18th, 2019, 10:41
There is no current extension but there's advice on how you could do it here:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?36738-create-new-damage-types-or-properties

Maasq
April 18th, 2019, 15:52
Don't do it :)
I would have to rewrite portions of Engineer Suite to support it!

(Lazy? Me?)

Maasq

ColinBuckler
April 19th, 2019, 12:58
Been looking at adding some modern elements into 5E myself and decided the simpliest way forward would be to name certain damage as other types. For instance Radiation could be another name for Necrotic and could even work like Poison, Laser damage could be Radiant for instance.

Not sure if this method would fit within your concept.

SailorLovins
April 23rd, 2019, 17:46
Those could very well fit. What would you consider plasma damage to be?

ColinBuckler
April 23rd, 2019, 18:37
Plasma..... mmmmm Could be a mixture of electric/acid or electric/fire? You could do 1d6 of each damage type.

That way if you have immunity/resistance to one type you would still receive damage.

Zacchaeus
April 23rd, 2019, 18:37
Those could very well fit. What would you consider plasma damage to be?

Since it is a 4th state of matter there isn't an equivalent; but probably fire (very, very, hot fire) would be the nearest.

SailorLovins
April 24th, 2019, 14:17
Im thinking fire too for a very temporary substitute. It would seem that I am going to have to make the plunge and learn to create extensions as this module I am working on also has several new languages. Although the customer doesn't have any fonts for these new languages so I will have to ask them which generic fonts they would like to use or ask them to design some fonts (which I doubt since they don't use fantasy grounds). They are about to come out with a new suppliment that I will also be converting so maybe I can get them to squeeze in some fonts there. Of course I have to actually learn the extension language. I admit my intimidation as XML seems so much easier to understand. I know that if I want to really provide a polished module I should include these extensions too.