PDA

View Full Version : AD&D 2E Officially Licensed Ruleset and Content

celestian
April 16th, 2019, 22:29
Today marks the day that AD&D 2E is officially released for use in FantasyGrounds.

The ruleset is a standard built-in ruleset and is available to all levels of FG - including those without a license (free/demo). Just make sure you are updated and it will show up as "2E".

Documentation for the ruleset can be found here. (https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGU/pages/1736705/2E+Ruleset)

Tips and tricks thread (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?49036-AD-amp-D-2E-Ruleset-Tips) is also a good location to review for some not-so-well known features.

The first 4 releases on the store are:

The Player's Handbook (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.php?id=WOTC2EPHB)
Dungeon Master Guide (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.php?id=WOTC2EDMG)
Monstrous Manual (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.php?id=WOTC2EMM)
Adventure, N1: Cult of the Reptile God (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.php?id=WOTC2EN1)

I will create a thread for each product and the ruleset for feedback and details.

AD&D 2E Ruleset Information, Feedback and Bug report thread. (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?48925-AD-amp-D-2E-Ruleset-Feedback-Information-Thread)
AD&D 2E Player's Handbook Information, Feedback and Bug report thread. ( AD&D 2E Ruleset Information, Feedback and Bug report thread.)
AD&D 2E Dungeon Master Guide Information, Feedback and Bug report thread. (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?48927-AD-amp-D-2E-Dungeon-Master-Guide-feedback-thread)
AD&D 2E Monstrous Manual Information, Feedback and Bug report thread.
(https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?48929-AD-amp-D-2E-Monstrous-Manual-feedback-thread)

You can join the discussions on the Fantasy Grounds discord server in the #advanced-dungeons-and-dragons-2e (https://discord.gg/KgamXS2) channel.

Thanks to those that helped make this possible :o. damned particularly was a voice of great motivation. Doug always responding politely to my requests for updates and John being a great help with code issues that would stymie me.

I'm mostly happy to see this out there so folks won't have to go through all the work I did to get it here.

damned
April 16th, 2019, 22:37
Welll done celestian this is amazing to see!

GunnarGreybeard
April 16th, 2019, 22:43
Holy Smoke! When did all this happen, this awesome.

Trenloe
April 16th, 2019, 22:55
If you have a FantasyGrounds license, you should be able to get the ruleset when you update next. It will show up as "2E".
The ruleset is a standard built-in ruleset and is available to all levels of FG - including those without a license (free/demo). Thus, people new to FG and wanting to see what the ruleset is all about can do so without spending any money, with the usual Free/Demo license limitations...

Zhern
April 16th, 2019, 23:57
This made my day! Thank you!

celestian
April 17th, 2019, 00:24
The ruleset is a standard built-in ruleset and is available to all levels of FG - including those without a license (free/demo). Thus, people new to FG and wanting to see what the ruleset is all about can do so without spending any money, with the usual Free/Demo license limitations...

Good to know, was unaware of these details. I will update.

madman
April 17th, 2019, 00:32
WOW So cool! Good fight pays off. Great job Celestian!
and Damned...

Rook
April 17th, 2019, 00:41
Amazing.

Celestian, you're Amazing.

And a greatful shout-out to Wizards of the Coast!

ddavison
April 17th, 2019, 01:31
Celestian and damned deserve a huge credit for making this all possible. We are super happy to be working with Celestian on this. Our contacts at Wizards of the Coast, specifically Chris Lindsay, Liz Schuh and Nathan Stewart, have always been fantastic champions for us and our fanbase.

GunbunnyFuFu
April 17th, 2019, 02:47
Excellent! Looking forward to some 2e fun now!

GBFF

Varsuuk
April 17th, 2019, 03:25
Congratulations again!

I went to the main licensed page to bask in AD&D logo and I was HORRIFIED! The new DCC thing is there, but NO AD&D??

Cos, I'm gonna plop the full $70 in appreciation of this AD&D license and future products. We be licensed for more right? ;)

Varsuuk
April 17th, 2019, 03:26
Beautiful reskin / graphic work - was that some new inspiration of Celestian or did the pros at SW help a brother out?

EDIT: I just bought at store and saw this: 27066 ...I am verklempt to see this!

LordEntrails
April 17th, 2019, 04:24
I assume all the artwork is from the 2013 reprint. I assume that's because the right rights for much of the original artwork was probably questionable or no longer available.

celestian
April 17th, 2019, 04:29
Beautiful reskin / graphic work - was that some new inspiration of Celestian or did the pros at SW help a brother out?

If you mean the theme used within the ruleset that was all Damned. I am no artist. He did a wonderful job with it.

IF you mean the covers on the PHB/DMG/MM those are the covers from the reprints some few years ago by WoTC. They also did new covers for the 1e book reprints.

ddavison
April 17th, 2019, 04:49
Congratulations again!

I went to the main licensed page to bask in AD&D logo and I was HORRIFIED! The new DCC thing is there, but NO AD&D??

Cos, I'm gonna plop the full $70 in appreciation of this AD&D license and future products. We be licensed for more right? ;)

We are waiting on a new D&D Classics logo we can use. WOTC doesn’t want to use the AD&D logo.

benjihad
April 17th, 2019, 08:14
We are waiting on a new D&D Classics logo we can use. WOTC doesn’t want to use the AD&D logo.

I think we've reached the land of milk and honey finally. Thanks to all involved on the project, and thanks to WotC for listening!
Fancy. A new logo?! Intriguing. I'm excited to see what that looks like.

Would love to help get some content converted over if the need is there.

Hlynrian
April 17th, 2019, 11:17
And across the land, thousands of Dungeon Master's clicked New Campaign, and named it Dark Sun.

Varsuuk
April 17th, 2019, 14:47
DD: OK, I can get that due to the horrible rights mess that happened way back.

Celestial: Yup, I meant the prettification of the UI - great job Damned. (I too have little to no visual skills)

(OK, “Celestial” was a typo, but I am KEEPING it due to the whole manna from heavens thing of prior post)

Niles
April 17th, 2019, 15:06
Today marks the day that AD&D 2E is officially released for use in FantasyGrounds.

The ruleset is a standard built-in ruleset and is available to all levels of FG - including those without a license (free/demo). Just make sure you are updated and it will show up as "2E".

The Player's Handbook (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.php?id=WOTC2EPHB)
Dungeon Master Guide (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.php?id=WOTC2EDMG)
Adventure, N1: Cult of the Reptile God (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.php?id=WOTC2EN1)

I will create a thread for each product and the ruleset for feedback and details.

AD&D 2E Ruleset Information, Feedback and Bug report thread. (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?48925-AD-amp-D-2E-Ruleset-Feedback-Information-Thread)
AD&D 2E Player's Handbook Information, Feedback and Bug report thread. ( AD&D 2E Ruleset Information, Feedback and Bug report thread.)
AD&D 2E Dungeon Master Guide Information, Feedback and Bug report thread. (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?48927-AD-amp-D-2E-Dungeon-Master-Guide-feedback-thread)
(https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?48929-AD-amp-D-2E-Monstrous-Manual-feedback-thread)

You can join the discussions on the Fantasy Grounds discord server in the #advanced-dungeons-and-dragons-2e (https://discord.gg/KgamXS2) channel.

Thanks to those that helped make this possible :o. damned particularly was a voice of great motivation. Doug always responding politely to my requests for updates and John being a great help with code issues that would stymie me.

I'm mostly happy to see this out there so folks won't have to go through all the work I did to get it here.

When I logged in to the 2e ruleset, it was full of script errors, and the combat tracker was already populated with things that I couldn't delete. I don't have any extensions activated either. Any suggestions? Thank you!

ddavison
April 17th, 2019, 15:09
When I logged in to the 2e ruleset, it was full of script errors, and the combat tracker was already populated with things that I couldn't delete. I don't have any extensions activated either. Any suggestions? Thank you!

It sounds like you are using an older campaign -- possibly that used an earlier edition of the community ruleset. Unless you want to keep two versions, please delete any 2E.pak file or folder from your ruleset folder and delete any older campaigns based on those. Run an Update to bring down the latest official version and then go to Create New Campaign, choose 2E and then go. Please don't use & or other special characters in the campaign name. That can conflict with the operating system, depending on which OS and version you are using.

Niles
April 17th, 2019, 15:14
It sounds like you are using an older campaign -- possibly that used an earlier edition of the community ruleset. Unless you want to keep two versions, please delete any 2E.pak file or folder from your ruleset folder and delete any older campaigns based on those. Run an Update to bring down the latest official version and then go to Create New Campaign, choose 2E and then go. Please don't use & or other special characters in the campaign name. That can conflict with the operating system, depending on which OS and version you are using.

Thank you for your quick reply, Doug. But I've never loaded a 2e community ruleset. Any other suggestions? Again, thanks!

Niles
April 17th, 2019, 15:22
Disregard my last reply. It works now. I did have other community items in my software, just not 2e stuff. Works like a charm now. Thank you!

Trenloe
April 17th, 2019, 15:22
Thank you for your quick reply, Doug. But I've never loaded a 2e community ruleset. Any other suggestions? Again, thanks!
Please create a brand new 2E campaign and then, if you still have issues, provide a screenshot of the chat window when you first load the 2E campaign - showing all versions etc.. Also please provide details of the errors received.

EDIT: Not needed now.

Grizz
April 17th, 2019, 15:41
Curiosity goads me...
Will this be a newly supported platform, with other 2e products being made available? Or is this basically a one off for the core materials? Such as Fiend Folio or the Forgotten Relams settings books and boxes?

ddavison
April 17th, 2019, 15:43
It will be a whole new line. We have a lot of other official products in the queue for 2E.

ddavison
April 17th, 2019, 15:46
Congratulations again!

The new logo is now in place.

Grizz
April 17th, 2019, 16:09
This makes me extraordinarily happy.

JohnD
April 17th, 2019, 16:21
The Canonfire guys seem to be all over this after someone gave them the FYI.

ddavison
April 17th, 2019, 16:28
The Canonfire guys seem to be all over this after someone gave them the FYI.

Link?

JohnD
April 17th, 2019, 16:31
As soon as I get one I'll post it. I don't have Twitter; don't agree with their business practices.

Varsuuk
April 17th, 2019, 17:00
Nice!

(I’m happy for it, but wish they could have been able to use something like “D&D Classic: AD&D” if not AD&D which may imply 5E is “basic D&D” which brings us to another confusion of “Basic” ;) lol )

But I get it, the new line is not precisely 2E anyway. At least not in “pure” (if that exists due to orig books then kits then completes then advanced options etc) sense. I mean the module N1 is for 1E as is the next expected module. So it is probably a better thing to call is “Classic” since it will include converted to 2E (with liberties) 1E work.

The new logo is now in place.

esmdev
April 17th, 2019, 17:36
Nice!

(I’m happy for it, but wish they could have been able to use something like “D&D Classic: AD&D” if not AD&D which may imply 5E is “basic D&D” which brings us to another confusion of “Basic” ;) lol )

But I get it, the new line is not precisely 2E anyway. At least not in “pure” (if that exists due to orig books then kits then completes then advanced options etc) sense. I mean the module N1 is for 1E as is the next expected module. So it is probably a better thing to call is “Classic” since it will include converted to 2E (with liberties) 1E work.

Maybe it was a choice to rename it so as to be generic enough to include Cyclopedia (Basic, Expert, Companion, Master)/Mystara-Hollow World. Who knows what the extent of 'Classic' might entail in their license.

Another question I have is how broad their license is to settings? Birthright, Dark Sun, Dragonlance, Forgotten Realms (Al-Qadim, Kara-Tur, Maztica), Planescape, Ravenloft, Spelljammer?

Varsuuk
April 17th, 2019, 18:33
I hope this blows up and makes SW, FG authors good amount of revenue and inspires WotC to consider there is room for making money off retro as well...

Portanas
April 17th, 2019, 19:58
Thanks to everyone who got this done. I have been waiting for the day when 2E finally gets support digitally. I know there was a lot of fan service to it, but to have it finally supported by the powers that be....great job everyone!

HolyOutlaw
April 17th, 2019, 20:43
Will there be a bundle option for purchasing these?

ddavison
April 17th, 2019, 21:17
Not for a little while. Once we start getting up to around 10 items, we will probably see if we can bundle them in a complete the set sort of way.

LordGosumba
April 18th, 2019, 00:08
Hey all! I do not think I have ever posted on here, but I wanted to say FANTASTIC job for getting this approved! A lot of you (Celestian in particular) know me as an Old School 1E/2E Greyhawk live streamer on Twitch. We do mostly Tabletop/Minis style. I have stayed away from FG and other software programs in the past, because we greatly value the "In Person" playstyle with my group, and we had no real access to our base rulesets in the programs. However, this may truly lead to some new doors opening up for my group, and including others in our play.

The true irony is I am playing in my first ever 5E game a week from Saturday night, with a great friend of mine DMing (SublimeBW) a Greyhawk 5E One Shot on my channel. This is using Fantasy Grounds; so if you have interest, let me know!

I wanted to say congratulations once again! I hope this continues to allow more and more DMs and players to find their way back to the game!

Stormhound
April 18th, 2019, 00:53
I have many fond memories of 1e/2e, it's going to be very tempting to pick this up just to play with it.

gqwebb
April 18th, 2019, 01:55
2e was a cool surprise but I dont understand alot of the conversation as calling this ad&d. And why the module N1 was released as 1e not 2e? Cannot get 1e due to licensing or Mark Wilson only likes 2e? Any other effert on making 1e? Or is this 2e going to be the foundation level because game mechanics?

celestian
April 18th, 2019, 02:09
2e was a cool surprise but I dont understand alot of the conversation as calling this ad&d. And why the module N1 was released as 1e not 2e? Cannot get 1e due to licensing or Mark Wilson only likes 2e? Any other effert on making 1e? Or is this 2e going to be the foundation level because game mechanics?

There are certainly some items picked because of my preferences. That said there are good products under both 1e and 2e. We've got a long list of items and there are many from both versions. One of the benefits of AD&D is that the systems were compatible. Even Basic adventures were commonly used in AD&D 1e and 2e games... such as B2, Keep on the Borderlands.

When converting the modules into FG I stick with the system it was intended for insofar as npcs. This ensures the adventure plays out as originally designed. An example is the dragons/demons in 2E are far more powerful... and using those creatures in say, Temple of Elemental Evil would drastically change how things turn out (the dragons would be far more powerful than the big baddie!). So, using the stats from the module the creatures will be as they were intended. Mind you, that's for items I work on.

gqwebb
April 18th, 2019, 02:51
Thank you so it is just personnel prefs then. I missed the whole 2e as I was in the Army 86 - 98. I shall give it a run through and thanks for the hard work. I am so excited about my favorite mod U1 coming out on 5e. But a 2e version could be more true to form.

Stormhound
April 18th, 2019, 04:21
Oh, my. I just made the "mistake" of digging through some old storage boxes, and uncovering mounds of old AD&D material, including lots of 2e. Birthright? Al'Qadim? More Forgotten Realms stuff than I could think of? Battlesystem?

Pardon me, I think I just had a nostalgiagasm.

A 1995 DMG. A 1989 PHB (very worn, and with my signature inside the front cover because I was constantly having to hand books around to people who couldn't afford a copy). A couple of volumes of Monstrous Compendium.

And I haven't even gone through all the boxes...

Anybody know a good support group for gamer nostalgia? ;)

celestian
April 18th, 2019, 04:33
Oh, my. I just made the "mistake" of digging through some old storage boxes, and uncovering mounds of old AD&D material, including lots of 2e. Birthright? Al'Qadim? More Forgotten Realms stuff than I could think of? Battlesystem?

Pardon me, I think I just had a nostalgiagasm.

A 1995 DMG. A 1989 PHB (very worn, and with my signature inside the front cover because I was constantly having to hand books around to people who couldn't afford a copy). A couple of volumes of Monstrous Compendium.

And I haven't even gone through all the boxes...

Anybody know a good support group for gamer nostalgia? ;)

Welp, you're in a good place now ! There is also dragonsfoot.org for AD&D 1 and 2 discussions where we endlessly talk about the merits of Alignment ;)

damned
April 18th, 2019, 05:40
Thank you so it is just personnel prefs then. I missed the whole 2e as I was in the Army 86 - 98. I shall give it a run through and thanks for the hard work. I am so excited about my favorite mod U1 coming out on 5e. But a 2e version could be more true to form.

U1 will hopefully be available very soon.

LordEntrails
April 18th, 2019, 06:32
Hey all! I do not think I have ever posted on here, but I wanted to say FANTASTIC job for getting this approved! ...

I wanted to say congratulations once again! I hope this continues to allow more and more DMs and players to find their way back to the game!
Welcome to the forums :)

Stuart
April 18th, 2019, 16:42
Awesome job! More excited about this than any other ruleset; so many happy memories and so many pdfs that I can sit down and convert.

Xemit
April 18th, 2019, 16:50
Just last week I was going through some boxes in storage doing some re-organizing and came upon my old 1E and 2E books. Played as a PC back then, so only have the PHB and all the class supplements. Still takes up over a foot of shelf space...

Even found the old campaign maps (I was always the cartographer) and character sheets. And also the box of minis we used for our PCs (I made them for all PCs). Those were the days...

We were all just past high school and some were part way through university. My mother even used to play along with us! Dad was convinced we'd all start living in the sewers and become serial killers... B^}

GunnarGreybeard
April 18th, 2019, 17:02
My kids have had my 1e books for the last 14+ years (since they were old enough to read). Time to go into their rooms and reclaim what is mine. :bandit:

Stuart
April 18th, 2019, 17:24

Asterionaisien
April 18th, 2019, 21:03
I would thank you , celestian, for your hard work. I'm extremely happy now, and my mind wanders the astral plane.. so many worlds to create and discover.. I'd like to say that now I really doubt i'll buy something related to 5ed . Thank you again , you really made my day..and many other to come!

Kelrugem
April 18th, 2019, 21:25
I am also really happy and congratulations :) I am also looking forward to it, especially for source content :)

But how does the license now work when it seemingly changed recently? :) I mean can users now also upload their own modules of AD&D content? :) (as I wrote you once Celestian, I have some module with all alcohols of Aurora's whole Realm Catalogue which I could upload here for example; but in 3.5, I could try to convert it) But, when I remember correctly, you wrote there is no SRD, so I guess the answer is "no" :) But I rather ask again :)

EDIT: I can at least offer to send that module to you, Celestian; just in case whenever you need it, then it's a little bit less work :)

Trenloe
April 18th, 2019, 22:09
But how does the license now work when it seemingly changed recently? :) I mean can users now also upload their own modules of AD&D content? :) (as I wrote you once Celestian, I have some module with all alcohols of Aurora's whole Realm Catalogue which I could upload here for example; but in 3.5, I could try to convert it) But, when I remember correctly, you wrote there is no SRD, so I guess the answer is "no" :) But I rather ask again :)
Whatever you publicly share you need to have permission from the copyright owner, or the material needs to be covered by an OGL, Community Commons license, DMs Guild license, or similar. Original AD&D 1E and 2E products were not released under the OGL (as it didn't exist back then) and is covered by copyright. So, unless the specific product has any license that allows changing and public sharing of the material, then you won't be able to publicly share an FG module containing that material.

Kelrugem
April 18th, 2019, 22:11
Whatever you publicly share you need to have permission from the copyright owner, or the material needs to be covered by an OGL, Community Commons license, DMs Guild license, or similar. Original AD&D 1E and 2E products were not released under the OGL (as it didn't exist back then) and is covered by copyright. So, unless the specific product has any license that allows changing and public sharing of the material, then you won't be able to publicly share an FG module containing that material.

Ah thank you for the confirmation :) I already assumed that but wanted to be assured (due to some changes seemingly) :) Thanks :)

damned
April 18th, 2019, 23:06
Ah thank you for the confirmation :) I already assumed that but wanted to be assured (due to some changes seemingly) :) Thanks :)

It means that SmiteWorks have negotiated a license for SmiteWorks to publish some specific 1E/2E titles in Fantasy Grounds.
That license doesnt extend to anyone else at this time.

Kelrugem
April 18th, 2019, 23:10
It means that SmiteWorks have negotiated a license for SmiteWorks to publish some specific 1E/2E titles in Fantasy Grounds.
That license doesnt extend to anyone else at this time.

That is cool :) I welcome that

damned
April 18th, 2019, 23:14
That is cool :) I welcome that

You may be able to contact SmiteWorks with a sample of your work and they might allow you to do a 2E module conversion.

the statement: That license doesnt extend to anyone else at this time.

means that we as individuals cant upload copyright material for 1E/2E - we could do a high quality conversion and submit it to Smiteworks and they may be able to license it and give you commission. However it is always best to talsk to Smiteworks before embarking on a lot of work.

Kelrugem
April 18th, 2019, 23:28
You may be able to contact SmiteWorks with a sample of your work and they might allow you to do a 2E module conversion.

means that we as individuals cant upload copyright material for 1E/2E - we could do a high quality conversion and submit it to Smiteworks and they may be able to license it and give you commission. However it is always best to talsk to Smiteworks before embarking on a lot of work.

Thanks for that advice :) I converted a lot of source material since AD&D has a lot of nice source material just for flavour such that it can easily be used in other editions. (e.g. items, informations of areas etc. for flavour for players and so on)

I'll think about writing Smiteworks when I got sure that the quality could be good enough :)

JohnD
April 19th, 2019, 01:11

What is the email address for this? Support?

LordEntrails
April 19th, 2019, 01:33
What is the email address for this? Support?
Yes. There is also more information in this thread; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?11156-Want-to-produce-official-FG-products-adventures-rulesets

hawkwind
April 19th, 2019, 17:08
I notice the OSRIC modules still work with the 2e ruleset, could you produce material that references the OSRIC srd?

Trenloe
April 19th, 2019, 18:34
... could you produce material that references the OSRIC srd?
Yes, because that material is covered by the OGL. See the details I provide in post #52 above.

celestian
April 19th, 2019, 21:42
I notice the OSRIC modules still work with the 2e ruleset, could you produce material that references the OSRIC srd?

I would be happy to work with someone that is developing that content to make sure they are aware of all the features and how to make them function. Any of the previous items I've done myself are up for re-use for whomever.

gqwebb
April 20th, 2019, 03:08
Ahh.. it is all clear now. Its all Ad&d as you said.

from 2e player handbook

Before we even start, I want to make sure everyone understands one very
important fact:
This is not AD&D 3rd Edition!
There, everyone can breathe again.
Rest assured that this is still the same version of the AD&D game that your
friends, classmates, and business partners have been playing for years.
Yes, there are some small and subtle changes in the rules, but you would
have to read the whole book very carefully, and have a tremendous memory, to
find them. (The changes are the sorts of minor corrections and clarifications we
make every time we reprint, and we’ve reprinted both the Player’s Handbook®
and D M 
Guide™ more than 10 times since 1989!)

Steffen_de_Wolff
April 20th, 2019, 06:26
This is Awesome !!!! now for more content bringing back the classics

Merell
April 21st, 2019, 11:30
It will be a whole new line. We have a lot of other official products in the queue for 2E.

Doug any list, hint of a list or at least number of "other official products" that will be released? I would love to see one or more of the worlds to come out, Greyhawk, Forgotten realms, etc.. Thanks in advance for any info you are able / willing to share.

celestian I very much want to thank you especially for your time and effort to make the rule set on FG and available to all of us. I played D&D / AD&D from the release of the Red box Basic to 2e until 1999 when EQ was released. Coming back to D&D recently in the digital age I found 5e to be ok but for me not as much fun as 2e was. Again thank you for your efforts.

As to Doug, FG, Celestian and the many others, including myslef, thank you for getting WoTC to allow a licence of this wonderful product. This will greatly reduce my conversion process I started!

Hope to see many of you in FG 2e sometime in the near future.

GunnarGreybeard
April 21st, 2019, 12:16
Finally! This new ruleset and the 1e extension will allow us to play the classics as they were designed (and not conversion to other editions or systems).

I can't wait to get started!

NPettinato14
April 24th, 2019, 05:47
I would be quite interested in having the Player's Option series of books added, as I'm a weirdo who feels the Character Point system was just awesome. :)

(a) Any plans currently in the works for this?
(b) What kind of work does it take to add something this complex?
(c) Could anything facilitate this? i.e.: additional coders, $$$, etc.?
(d) Is this content able to be legally added re.: license from WotC?

celestian
April 24th, 2019, 06:26
I would be quite interested in having the Player's Option series of books added, as I'm a weirdo who feels the Character Point system was just awesome. :)

(a) Any plans currently in the works for this?
(b) What kind of work does it take to add something this complex?
(c) Could anything facilitate this? i.e.: additional coders, $$$, etc.?
(d) Is this content able to be legally added re.: license from WotC?

All I can really answer is A and B.

Not right now. The complexity that it would add is very dramatic and it also changes the system from what the majority of AD&D tables would be familiar with. There are options that might work to allow some changes, like a different character sheet and keep all the other functionality the same... but, right now, today... there is a schedule of products to work on that is quiet long. FGU is also looming on the horizon now. I expect I will be very busy. It's something I'll keep in the back of my mind (on how to implement) but I would not wait for it at this time.

NPettinato14
April 24th, 2019, 06:53
Is Fantasy Grounds modular enough to somehow fudge the data so that it can be played using those rules, but without altering the program? i.e.: manually entering the purchased abilities into a character sheet.

BTW Thanks for the reply.

esmdev
April 24th, 2019, 13:30
Is Fantasy Grounds modular enough to somehow fudge the data so that it can be played using those rules, but without altering the program? i.e.: manually entering the purchased abilities into a character sheet.

BTW Thanks for the reply.

For the most part you can make a character on paper and then enter the data into the character sheet in the appropriate locations. You can use the effects system pretty well to customize many of the extras. Where you might find the biggest difficulty is with the newer ability score setup. That would require an extension to modify the character sheet to handle 18 abilities instead of 6.

While it would be interesting to see all of those rules implemented, it might be better done as an extension or separate ruleset so as to keep the versions separate. Either method would require a whole bunch of coding and lots of time.

Note it has been years since I last read the options book so I might be missing some specifics that might need additional character sheet mods. I do remember thinking that the Combat & Tactics book seemed like it would work nicely with computerized assistance, so maybe FG is the way to go for that.

NPettinato14
April 24th, 2019, 14:06
For the most part you can make a character on paper and then enter the data into the character sheet in the appropriate locations. You can use the effects system pretty well to customize many of the extras. Where you might find the biggest difficulty is with the newer ability score setup. That would require an extension to modify the character sheet to handle 18 abilities instead of 6.

While it would be interesting to see all of those rules implemented, it might be better done as an extension or separate ruleset so as to keep the versions separate. Either method would require a whole bunch of coding and lots of time.

Note it has been years since I last read the options book so I might be missing some specifics that might need additional character sheet mods. I do remember thinking that the Combat & Tactics book seemed like it would work nicely with computerized assistance, so maybe FG is the way to go for that.

That's exactly what I was looking to do (re.: character sheet). I've not used the subability scores after first employing them, so their inclusion wouldn't be an issue. But something like a wizard with armor or thief skills would be. Sounds like that can be manually entered, though.

esmdev
April 24th, 2019, 15:09
That's exactly what I was looking to do (re.: character sheet). I've not used the subability scores after first employing them, so their inclusion wouldn't be an issue. But something like a wizard with armor or thief skills would be. Sounds like that can be manually entered, though.

I found that the sub-abilities were an unnecessary move towards complexity, I had the same reaction after my first use.

As for the rest, there isn't anything in the ruleset that precludes a wizard wearing armor. I believe that is something that is simply expected people will know and avoid. That being the case, you could put a wizard in plate mail and it wouldn't be a problem for the system. Since the thief skills can be added like a non-weapon proficiency, this would also be something easy to add to a wizard.

Most of what you're looking for would be pretty easy to do if you don't mind doing it manually. The automation is predominately aimed at drag and drop races, classes and later kits. So if you and your players are willing, it shouldn't be too much trouble. It's probably about the same as just filling out a character sheet with pencil. The advantage of course is that you can code in effects to do some of the automation during play. :)

celestian
April 24th, 2019, 15:12

esmdev is correct. You can manually enter in the data with the one caveat he pointed out for variant ability scores.

Since you're making a entirely new class you would probably want to create the class record in FG so that you could drag/drop it upon leveling. The class records have a lot of options that can deal with most of the PO class features.

It's possible, if you're willing to do a little bit of manual entry I believe.

esmdev
April 24th, 2019, 15:14
So, I just finished adding the basic Gladiator class to my long list of things I want to add. I'd like to say well done on the experience advancement setup for the classes. That was awesome. When I first looked at it, my initial reaction was this is crazy and seems complicated, however once I actually used it it was fabulous. Great job on that.

One thing that I was thinking would be useful would be the ability to clone and experience chart. For instance, the Gladiator uses the same experience, hit die, THAC0, saving throw tables as Ranger/Paladin. So if it would be possible to clone the existing table and then edit what needs to be edited, it would make adding character classes go a lot faster. It took me about an hour to do the data entry, but admittedly some of that was figuring out how it all worked.

celestian
April 24th, 2019, 16:17
So, I just finished adding the basic Gladiator class to my long list of things I want to add. I'd like to say well done on the experience advancement setup for the classes. That was awesome. When I first looked at it, my initial reaction was this is crazy and seems complicated, however once I actually used it it was fabulous. Great job on that.

One thing that I was thinking would be useful would be the ability to clone and experience chart. For instance, the Gladiator uses the same experience, hit die, THAC0, saving throw tables as Ranger/Paladin. So if it would be possible to clone the existing table and then edit what needs to be edited, it would make adding character classes go a lot faster. It took me about an hour to do the data entry, but admittedly some of that was figuring out how it all worked.

I agree, the advancement is a bit complex but most of that comes from the way AD&D handles classes. Someday I'll revisit the system and see if I can make it a bit more organized.

What you do is just copy the class it matches. As you said just grab the Paladin class, copy that, rename, then you have it's advancement entries. You'd need to remove the spells but otherwise it should do as you liked. I've had to do this myself a lot, priest handbook has TONS of cleric variant classes.

esmdev
April 24th, 2019, 17:10
I agree, the advancement is a bit complex but most of that comes from the way AD&D handles classes. Someday I'll revisit the system and see if I can make it a bit more organized.

What you do is just copy the class it matches. As you said just grab the Paladin class, copy that, rename, then you have it's advancement entries. You'd need to remove the spells but otherwise it should do as you liked. I've had to do this myself a lot, priest handbook has TONS of cleric variant classes.

Oh, Duh.. For some reason I hadn't even thought of doing that. Thanks. :)

Kanaric
April 27th, 2019, 16:49
One of the things i've had a hard time with is sorting the spell library by spheres.

It's good that you can do it individually but can we change it to a checkbox? So like I can show all the druid sphere or cleric spheres etc. Obviously by picking what sphere, not by class, so we can sort the list for specialty priests. I don't care if you don't take major or minor into account because sorting by level can be used to take care of that.

Would be cool if we can sort it by component as well but that is minor for me. This spheres thing would save a lot of time.

mozmonar
May 16th, 2019, 23:41
Is the Complete Bards book and/or the Tome of Magic in the works?

celestian
May 17th, 2019, 01:12
Is the Complete Bards book and/or the Tome of Magic in the works?

Both products are on the list for devs to work on. I've got the bulk of the ref-manual text work done for the Bards handbook but it's not on the immediate horizon. Once the Ranger's handbook is submitted (in a few weeks) I'm going to work on adventures for a while.

mozmonar
May 17th, 2019, 02:50
Good enough. Thanks.

celestian
May 28th, 2019, 20:24
I1 Dwellers of the Forbidden City (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.php?id=WOTC2EI1)was release today on the FG Store.

Purchased! Excited to see other folks' converted products to FG for the ruleset.

hawkwind
May 28th, 2019, 20:58
I1 Dwellers of the Forbidden City (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.php?id=WOTC2EI1)was release today on the FG Store.

Purchased! Excited to see other folks' converted products to FG for the ruleset.

And may there be many more!

mozmonar
May 31st, 2019, 02:54

I took this approach when trying to add a Gladiator class. I removed the the paladin stuff from the level advance stuff. However it seems to still add Turning stuff on level up. It also seems to not add the higher number for bonus Hit Points for High CON as if it's not a Warrior class. Guessing I have to dig around in the files to find this stuff.

Another thing, Half-giants roll 2 hit die at each level (prior to adding CON bonus hit points) regardless of class. Is there way to script that to happen when race is Half-giant? I can do it manually I suppose but it doesn't show what was rolled just what the results are (including the CON bonus).

EDIT: HP roll doesn't take into account the minimum HP rolls for high CON either it seems.

Darce
May 31st, 2019, 03:26
Really really wish there was a 2E bundle price! Just joined a game Would be nice to get some of the old Grewhawk mods available too.

JohnD
May 31st, 2019, 04:27
Really really wish there was a 2E bundle price! Just joined a game Would be nice to get some of the old Grewhawk mods available too.

Modules N1 and I1 are already available!

mozmonar
June 1st, 2019, 19:42
I took this approach when trying to add a Gladiator class. I removed the the paladin stuff from the level advance stuff. However it seems to still add Turning stuff on level up. It also seems to not add the higher number for bonus Hit Points for High CON as if it's not a Warrior class. Guessing I have to dig around in the files to find this stuff.

Another thing, Half-giants roll 2 hit die at each level (prior to adding CON bonus hit points) regardless of class. Is there way to script that to happen when race is Half-giant? I can do it manually I suppose but it doesn't show what was rolled just what the results are (including the CON bonus).

EDIT: HP roll doesn't take into account the minimum HP rolls for high CON either it seems.

So I figured out where to define Gladiators as Warriors. And that resolved the CON bonus for Non- Warriors being added on level up.

I still have to figure out where/how to extricate Gladiators from the Paladin abilities added each level (removing Turning ability, etc.)

Also would like to figure out if there is a way to add the extra Hit Die on level up to Half-Giant race.

celestian
June 1st, 2019, 20:01
So I figured out where to define Gladiators as Warriors. And that resolved the CON bonus for Non- Warriors being added on level up.

I still have to figure out where/how to extricate Gladiators from the Paladin abilities added each level (removing Turning ability, etc.)

Also would like to figure out if there is a way to add the extra Hit Die on level up to Half-Giant race.

Turn undead is in the class, under Class Advancement starting around 9th level. Just set the "TURN" value to 0 from there on out.

Currently there is no way to add extra HD to a class because of a race.

opusaug
June 2nd, 2019, 19:52
As luck would have it, I was asked to DM an in-person (non-FG) 2e game a few weeks ago, and reinstalled FG just in case I could convince some old friends to join from out of town. FG had been missing from my PC since my Win10 upgrade because I wasn't actively in a game. When I opened it, I found it odd that the old 2e ruleset that I downloaded from the community years ago was still stored somewhere on my computer and FG found it. I didn't realize it was included by default now because the wiki (among other places) doesn't list it among the default rulesets. From the date of this thread, it seems I came back to FG just in time.

Thanks for the hard work celestian!

mozmonar
June 3rd, 2019, 04:57
Turn undead is in the class, under Class Advancement starting around 9th level. Just set the "TURN" value to 0 from there on out.

Currently there is no way to add extra HD to a class because of a race.

Figured out how to divorce the Turning, Divine Spellcasting, and Aura from the Gladiator class thanks to your direction.

One thing I noticed is there was a box marked AC. I assumed this was a bonus that would be added to AC on level up. I tried to use this for Gladiator Armor Optimization (bonus of 1 to AC every 5 levels). However, it seems to set the AC to whatever number is enter in there. Instead of improving AC by one at 5th level it set BAC to 1. Is that the intended use of the AC field in Class Advancement?

I did end up resolving the issue by setting an effect Armor Optimization; AC:[LVL/5] which did the trick.

celestian
June 3rd, 2019, 05:00
Figured out how to divorce the Turning, Divine Spellcasting, and Aura from the Gladiator class thanks to your direction.

One thing I noticed is there was a box marked AC. I assumed this was a bonus that would be added to AC on level up. I tried to use this for Gladiator Armor Optimization (bonus of 1 to AC every 5 levels). However, it seems to set the AC to whatever number is enter in there. Instead of improving AC by one at 5th level it set BAC to 1. Is that the intended use of the AC field in Class Advancement?

I did end up resolving the issue by setting an effect Armor Optimization; AC:[LVL/5] which did the trick.

The AC field in advancement is strictly for base AC updates. I added that so that the old style monks and similar classes could be properly configured.

There is currently no mod AC field in advancement but you could add an advanced effect of something like "Gladiator;Level 1;AC: 1" and add another for the other levels they get them.

mozmonar
June 3rd, 2019, 05:05
The AC field in advancement is strictly for base AC updates. I added that so that the old style monks and similar classes could be properly configured.

There is currently no mod AC field in advancement but you could add an advanced effect of something like "Gladiator;Level 1;AC: 1" and add another for the other levels they get them.

No worries. I just made an incorrect assumption. The AC: [LVL/5] does the trick. Fortunately this ability is improved every 5 levels so one EFFECT does the trick.

celestian
June 29th, 2019, 00:17
The first review of the ruleset and content.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gJgS5BoQ78

LordEntrails
June 30th, 2019, 02:30
Congrats Celestian. Always great to see your work getting some positive attention that you deserve.

opusaug
July 4th, 2019, 16:23
Don't know if this is the right place to say it, but in the Complete Priest's Handbook, the "Cleric" of Literature and Poetry is missing.

Why they labeled those classes "Cleric" instead of "Priest" is beyond me - the whole point of the design of the Priest group was to be able to create those specific Priests.

celestian
July 5th, 2019, 15:49
Don't know if this is the right place to say it, but in the Complete Priest's Handbook, the "Cleric" of Literature and Poetry is missing.

Why they labeled those classes "Cleric" instead of "Priest" is beyond me - the whole point of the design of the Priest group was to be able to create those specific Priests.

Sure enough, skipped that one. I'll get it added.

"Priest" is the category. Cleric is the class. The same way "Warrior" is the category that Fighter, Paladin and Ranger are in.

opusaug
July 6th, 2019, 00:17
Thank you sir!

As for the titles, I'm just going by what the Player's Handbook calls them: "Priests of Specific Mythoi". While it also says, "...clerics serve religions that can be generally described as 'good' or 'evil'. Nothing more needs to be said about it." Under "Priest Titles" it says "Priests of differing mythoi often go by titles and names other than priest. A priest of nature... could be called a druid. Shamans and witch doctors are also possibilities [for other kinds of priests]." I've always understood this to mean that only the cleric and the druid already had established names, but the rest do not, so they're called "priest of x" unless the DM gives them a different name. Besides that, only the cleric is the generalist, with a generic religion. Lastly, there's a section in The Complete Priest's Handbook entitled, "Toning Down the Cleric", which doesn't make sense unless "cleric" is specifically what the generalist is called.

This is all mirrored in the Wizard group, which have "Specialist Wizards", and the mage class is called "the most versatile types of wizards, those who choose not to specialize in any single school of magic." Since they name all the specialist wizards, they never say, "Wizard (Alteration)", they just call him a transmuter - but I wouldn't expect them to be called "Mage (Alteration)" in any case. If TSR had wanted to, they could have created a subsection under Warrior called, "Warriors of differing fighting styles" and said one example was "berserk" that you could call a "barbarian". I would expect that kind of subclassification to be listed as "Warrior (Berserk)" not "Fighter (Berserk)", because the fighter already has a specific set of abilities.

That all said, I was under the impression that Wizards of the Coast converted the Player's Handbook themselves, which is why I was confused - they'd be contradicting their own products, as I saw it. If you did the conversion under license, that's an entirely different story. You can call them whatever you like. :)

And you've done a wonderful job, so I should just shut up now.

Beerbelly
July 6th, 2019, 23:44
Question: Is there a way to combine two different types of damage into one damage roll for NPCs? Such as, 1d4 slashing +1 cold. Right now, I don't see a way of it not being 2 die rolls.

celestian
July 7th, 2019, 05:55
Question: Is there a way to combine two different types of damage into one damage roll for NPCs? Such as, 1d4 slashing +1 cold. Right now, I don't see a way of it not being 2 die rolls.

Unless you use "powers" no. Weapon attacks damage entries are individual to be able to support the varying medium or large damage types. I do add a additional damage entry for creatures that do have a X damage + cold type added tho you can just use a power, set it up as a melee (or ranged) attack and have the damage for each.

Beerbelly
July 7th, 2019, 23:54
Any suggestions on how to set up a creature with a resistance like this:

they suffer only half damage from nonmagical blunt and magical edged weapons.

celestian
July 8th, 2019, 00:45
Any suggestions on how to set up a creature with a resistance like this:

they suffer only half damage from nonmagical blunt and magical edged weapons.

is it half damage for any blunt or just non-magic blunt? If the former

RESIST: bludgeoning
RESIST: slashing, !magic
IMMUNE: slashing, piercing

Something like that I think?

Not home to test, I would review the 5E docs on these because it works the same between both rulesets for this.

Beerbelly
July 8th, 2019, 14:42
is it half damage for any blunt or just non-magic blunt? If the former

RESIST: bludgeoning
RESIST: slashing, !magic
IMMUNE: slashing, piercing

Something like that I think?

Not home to test, I would review the 5E docs on these because it works the same between both rulesets for this.

would that resist magical slashing, or just regular slashing?

hawkwind
July 9th, 2019, 09:12
regular

celestian
July 9th, 2019, 21:14
would that resist magical slashing, or just regular slashing?

It's something I'd have to play with. I'm not entirely sure the method I listed was correct. The best way to do these things is start out with one type and get it working then work on the other. Off the top of my head I something like what I listed might work?

celestian
July 9th, 2019, 21:15
Temple of Elemental Evil (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.php?id=WOTC2ETOEE) came out today.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/images/store/WOTC2ETOEE.jpg

Started a feedback thread (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?49934-AD-amp-D-Temple-of-Elemental-Feedback-thread&p=443970#post443970) for any issues/feedback you might have.

Beerbelly
July 10th, 2019, 01:20
It's something I'd have to play with. I'm not entirely sure the method I listed was correct. The best way to do these things is start out with one type and get it working then work on the other. Off the top of my head I something like what I listed might work?

What you said works perfectly for the non-magical, but their doesn't seem to be a way to make it resist magical weapons by damage type. Any way that could be added in at some point? Or am I missing something?

pablomaz
July 12th, 2019, 02:31
This... Is... Amazing!

I was thinking about using a few of the adventures modules with the 5e Ruleset, adapting on the fly. Is that possible? Or I have to be using the 2E ruleset to use the adventures?

celestian
July 12th, 2019, 06:05
This... Is... Amazing!

I was thinking about using a few of the adventures modules with the 5e Ruleset, adapting on the fly. Is that possible? Or I have to be using the 2E ruleset to use the adventures?

It's intended to run under the AD&D ruleset. The maps, pins/etc should work if you can get it to load in 5E (there is an extension somewhere that lets you do that I think but I don't know it's name). Just know the monsters and weapons/items won't work properly.

pablomaz
July 13th, 2019, 00:14
The maps, pins/etc should work if you can get it to load in 5E (there is an extension somewhere that lets you do that I think but I don't know it's name).

That's what I need! I'll try to find that extension...
Thanks, celestian!

damned
July 13th, 2019, 01:02
Universal Modules

opusaug
July 14th, 2019, 23:25
Typo in The Complete Priest's Handbook - not yours celestian, it was copied just as written in the original. Under the priesthood for Seasons: "His priests maintain the calendar and are often find astronomers." I think it was supposed to read: "are often fine astronomers."

EDIT: After all, we wouldn't want a Cleric (Seasons) to be penalized by his DM because he couldn't find an astronomer. ;)

celestian
July 14th, 2019, 23:38
Typo in The Complete Priest's Handbook - not yours celestian, it was copied just as written in the original. Under the priesthood for Seasons: "His priests maintain the calendar and are often find astronomers." I think it was supposed to read: "are often fine astronomers."

EDIT: After all, we wouldn't want a Cleric (Seasons) to be penalized by his DM because he couldn't find an astronomer. ;)

Fixed for next update window.

graziano.girelli
September 16th, 2019, 20:07
Is there any possibility of having available for sale the 4 volumes of the encyclopedia magica, wizard spell compendium and priest spell compendium?
If yes, this should be a really great news!

esmdev
September 17th, 2019, 04:35
Is there any possibility of having available for sale the 4 volumes of the encyclopedia magica, wizard spell compendium and priest spell compendium?

They would be a great addition to the game but will probably take quite a bit of time to code. I wouldn't expect to see them anytime soon but could be wrong, would actually be really happy to be wrong... :)

Kanaric
September 19th, 2019, 18:48

If they did this I would like an additional sorting in the spell list based on spell rarity.

Another thing I wish they added was a spell sphere checkbox instead of a drop down. So if i'm a cleric I an check all my sphere and simply see all the spells I can take within those spheres.

AQuebman
October 8th, 2019, 13:58
Does anyone know if work is being done to convert the D or Q series to Fantasy Grounds? Everything done so far looks great and im running slavers now but id like to fold that into GDQ if they come out on FG.

celestian
October 8th, 2019, 16:23
Does anyone know if work is being done to convert the D or Q series to Fantasy Grounds? Everything done so far looks great and im running slavers now but id like to fold that into GDQ if they come out on FG.

I don't believe anyone is working on Q1, I "think" someone might have D1-3 on the TODO list but it's not me so I cannot say who.

myrrdan
November 27th, 2019, 02:15
Ok, i'm new here so sorry if this stuff has been covered...
I bought Fantasy Grounds because it says it has 2nd edition dnd ruleset and thats what we play.
I bought a 4 pack for me & my family.
Well I just loaded it, went through & registered it & started up a trial campaign, set it as a 2nd edition campaign..
There is NO modules. The only modules I find is a FG map and a calendar one. thats it. There is NO other modules listed.
When I get into the campaign and click on library there are still no modules listed.
When i go to create a character, the program loads no information for classes, races, anything really. They will load basic info for the stats I roll & put in and thats it.
I have no idea if I've done something wrong or if they expect me to purchase the dmg, players handbook AND the monsters manual to actual use the program.

damned
November 27th, 2019, 02:44
welcome myrrdan

In Fantasy Grounds a ruleset has the coding that understands the core mechanics (and often many more) of the game system. It has character sheets and npc sheets and understands how combat works.

The actual rules themselves, the contents of the rulebooks, is all copyright material owned by the publisher (or author). A growing number of 2E sourcebooks and adventures have been converted to Fantasy Grounds format and are available for purchase in the store. When you buy content from the store licensing fees are paid to the publisher and a fee is paid to the person that converted the product and to SmiteWorks.

JohnD
November 27th, 2019, 02:45
Ok, i'm new here so sorry if this stuff has been covered...
I bought Fantasy Grounds because it says it has 2nd edition dnd ruleset and thats what we play.
I bought a 4 pack for me & my family.
Well I just loaded it, went through & registered it & started up a trial campaign, set it as a 2nd edition campaign..
There is NO modules. The only modules I find is a FG map and a calendar one. thats it. There is NO other modules listed.
When I get into the campaign and click on library there are still no modules listed.
When i go to create a character, the program loads no information for classes, races, anything really. They will load basic info for the stats I roll & put in and thats it.
I have no idea if I've done something wrong or if they expect me to purchase the dmg, players handbook AND the monsters manual to actual use the program.

The PHB, DMG and MM are all licensed, official content. You can sort by ruleset in the store for D&D Classics AD&D 1e/2e and you'll see all the content currently released. There's also the bundle which is a pretty damn good discounted price right now with the big sale (IMO); https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/productbundle.php?bundleid=WOTC2EBUNDLE .

Just so you are aware, these modules take a lot of time to put together, even if you are just talking about straight data entry, never mind any needed massaging of 40 year old maps etc... into the digital age.

That said, you can enter content yourself but it comes down to a time vs money trade off.

The 3 core rulebooks are very worth your time and purchase dollars.

myrrdan
November 27th, 2019, 02:53
That should have been MUCH more clear in their claim of 2nd edition ruleset....
I'm not buying players for each of our 4 FG copies, as well as DMG and monster manaul for me..
Not for something that could have been much more clearly laid out and wasn't.
To me it was just a nice little bait and switch.
I'm getting my money back.

esmdev
November 27th, 2019, 03:00
I've done the write it yourself method on some smaller projects like modules and class, weapons and non-weapon proficiencies. I went through all the completes and copied in the various weapons and non-weapon proficiencies. I added the gladiator class from complete gladiator. These projects took me several full days to do.

I decided it really isn't worth the effort. Especially since I have to correct any bugs or errors that I enter if I ever even see them. The purchased content has the benefit of being constantly being played, reviewed and bug checked by a large community and then fixed by the developer and auto-updated by Smiteworks. It saves time, headaches and screaming! :)

esmdev
November 27th, 2019, 03:05
If you are the DM you are the only one that needs the PHB. It is shared with all your players when they link to your system. You can actually play the game with just the PHB. You would still need to hand enter the monsters you use and magic items you distribute. The PHB will get you the races, classes and equipment and non-weapon proficiencies. The ruleset already covers combat and the framework for everything else.

myrrdan
November 27th, 2019, 03:12
Interesting, I appreciate the information about just needing the PHB.
This is what I'm talking about.
If this sort of thing was clear than it would have been easier for me to deal with. I cannot stand companies misrepresenting their product.
Which is what they're doing. Its GREAT they have all this available. Don't get me wrong. I am exceedingly happy they have this all available.
That my players wouldn't have to purchase all the books, thats great.. I still have to purchase it in order to use the program in any way effectively.
THAT is my problem.
If they had been upfront with it, then I would have had no problem, lol I would have probably bought all 3 of them. Happily. But not when they fake it out like this.
Thank you though for the information, hopefully it will help someone else.

damned
November 27th, 2019, 03:17
That should have been MUCH more clear in their claim of 2nd edition ruleset....
I'm not buying players for each of our 4 FG copies, as well as DMG and monster manaul for me..
Not for something that could have been much more clearly laid out and wasn't.
To me it was just a nice little bait and switch.
I'm getting my money back.

Hi myrrdan

Can you post the link that you found misleading? There is a lot of content and a lot to understand when diving into Fantasy Grounds.

Smiteworks have a 30 day money back guarantee. There is no attempt at bait and switch going on.

Each player can access content that you share as the GM when they are connected to your session.

Usually the minimum content you would buy is either:

Players Handbook
+ Adventure

or

Players Handbook
Monster Manual
Dungeon Masters Guide

When you look at the home page for the site:
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/home/home.php
It says it includes the 2E ruleset and in the line immediately below it lists the Data Libraries that are included and there is nothing listed for 2E
On the Store Page for the License it lists:
Included Rulesets: AD&D 2E, D&D 3.5E, D&D 4E, D&D 5E and the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Library modules with D&D 3.5E open gaming content typically found in the SRD. *
Library modules with D&D fifth edition open gaming content found in the SRD 5.
Library modules with Pathfinder RPG open gaming content typically found in the PFSRD. *

damned
November 27th, 2019, 03:23
On the Steam Website it reads
https://store.steampowered.com/app/252690/Fantasy_Grounds/

A Note about DLC for Fantasy Grounds
Fantasy Grounds has a wealth of DLC available as add-ons. Each of these DLC add-ons expands Fantasy Grounds to support a brand new game system or to add new adventures and supplements from your favorite game publishers and artists. SmiteWorks has negotiated license deals with several dozen different RPG Game publishers and artists, both large and small, to bring you a very large variety of gaming options. Our agreements with these publishers and artists provide royalties for every purchase made through Steam and elsewhere, so that a purchase of DLC for Fantasy Grounds is the equivalent to or better for the publisher than walking into a game store or book store and buying a physical book from the publisher. Each and every purchase is directly helping fund and grow the RPG hobby industry.
The share that SmiteWorks retains for this helps pay our content and programming developers and helps us add support for more and more games. In many cases, the content you can buy as DLC can be built directly by you within Fantasy Grounds if you already own the material in another form. The DLC provides a convenient option for time-strapped gamers who also wish to directly support the gaming industry.

myrrdan
November 27th, 2019, 03:28
I purchased it through steam. Theres no real explanation of what 'ruleset' means. At least not easily seen. I watched the videos on steam. I knew you had to load modules to get the data & everything. The face that the 2nd edition ruleset had no modules at all isn't explained clearly. At least not on steam.
I find it ridiculous that you have to buy the program and then buy other stuff to actually make it effective.
its ridiculous. Explain it however you want, legally whatever, its ridiculous. I understand everyone needs to make money and everything.
Obviously wayyy more people are happy with them and their product so.

damned
November 27th, 2019, 03:31
Hi again - I posted some stuff from the Steam home page.

There is a lot to work thru and if you have any suggestions on how to word it better please do post them.

I know on Steam you only get a 2 hour window (or similar) to do a refund.
If you buy it from the store here you can test it out for 30 days and see if it is the right product for you or not.

Either way - I hope you get your 2E game up and running by whatever means.

myrrdan
November 27th, 2019, 03:36
Thanks, we will, we'll just have to do the old paper way lol
I see a lot of great work here so I'm mostly just disappointed I can't use it in my games.

Varsuuk
November 27th, 2019, 16:40
I was excited as usual for the XMas sale. I thought I’d finally buy a big bundle of 2E. I immediately bought PHB/DMG/MM plus Reptile when available but was gonna get more later when either went to use or XMas sale.

Little did I know it would produce more DLC in a condensed time than anything I saw before. Which is great... and sets up a steep purchase curve for someone who wants to get the discounted price. Nothing stops me from just buying the two modules I know I want and blowing off rest (or entering myself - I have every single item in FG store still in physical copy on my shelf :) and I have 25% of them currently in electronic pdf form as well. Some like ToEE, I have 2 physical of T1-4, one of T1 and one each of those in pdf lol (not to mention the computer game hehe))

If it was over 2+ years sure. But at once, I can’t. I suggested in an email perhaps a Core set, including ToM (~$70 which may be too low and too little books - so I suggest you add the core books to each of the following bundles) then a Greyhawk/Unspecified (like original Ravenloft) for something in area of $110 + ~70 for core. Forgotten realms books were similar and last category could be all e “Complete book of” stuff that is NOT campaign world specific - otherwise it should go in that bundle instead. These also all roughly were 105-140$ from MEMORY my notes were on a pad at work.

I have no interest in the FR modules. I might buy one or two individually but definitely not as a set.

I’d buy core (only missing ToM) plus Greyhawk adventures today if That bundle existed (Even though I suspect G1-3 will be added again as Against the Giants for the better version and charge 2x due to bundle)

The Complete books, I would have to consider if worth it - I am sure the class ones are useful and have crunch to be able to paste from in play but not so sure the race ones had any module versus READING book value. I don’t need or like FG modules for reading only. Heck, I’d even back moving the class modules to core set if were full of crunch for FG vs reading stuff. I’d have to check my shelf for complete book of elves, my memory is it was an incredibly useful well written book encyclopedia on getting into role playing Elves but do not recall much that was usable as an FG module.

Right now, already owning 3 of the $30 books and a $10 module with both the bundle price and XMas sale 25% off, it’s is nearly 200 more to buy bundle. If I didn’t have the Marian books it would be definitely over 200 and probably well over $300 without steam sale... all in what, a year or so?

;). Great stuff! And bad in a way due to money constraints lol.

So far, I just bought 4 Savage Worlds (NE/Supers modules) and completed my Savage Worlds bundle again (oddly, the graphic and prevented module for rock and hard place are a considerably larger portion of the price than the module itself. Hopefully not a new trend or I stop that bundle too. I haven’t run any of them and bought to support work I loved and hoped to run someday. But loving less that for one ADVENTURE module o needed to buy 2 map packs, 2Graphic/token packs, 1-2 pregen packs all labeled as part of “A stone and a he’d place” yeesh that’s a lot of DLC for a DLC itself!

I’m bummed I’m spending more of my gaming buck elsewhere than FG bundles For first time this year.

Rant off.

Varsuuk
November 27th, 2019, 16:42
(I’ll prob still buy Temple of Elemental Evil before end of sale once I officially decide I’ll never get bundle going forward - if I buy all the big ticket items, I’m less inclined to go for bundle pricing on items I was meh on just for the reduced price. Once I buy ToEE, after all the other $30s already bought, I become a picker vs bundled.

JohnD
November 27th, 2019, 16:48
I would agree that there is room for 2 different 2e Classics bundles; one that encompasses all the adventure modules and another that includes the core books, supplementals like Tome of Magic and The Complete... and race specific splat books.

FYI Varsuuk, the "Complete" books offer kits, some supplemental classes, occasionally spells and/or expanded equipment lists and/or additional NWPs, and supplemental class ability descriptions, modifiers and generally fleshing out specifics from generalities. All is drag/drop to make maximum utility of the base ruleset's automation where applicable. Sometimes there is a skill or something that can't be automated.

Personally the Complete books are valuable to me, but I can appreciate the flip side where people kind of go "it's all or nothing with these books". I guess to each their own and a lot depends on what someone is willing to manually enter themselves for their own use, assuming they have the source material or a PDF to work from.

Varsuuk
November 27th, 2019, 18:32
I definitely loved nearly all the Complete books as they came out. I just didn’t recall any drag-drop or equipment or spells present in books like Complete Elf/Dwarf but could be my memory being bad as usual. I’ll pull one out tonight to look at it.

If it had lots of drag drop able stuff then I’d be more willing to get all of them not just class completed. Still would I get all at once and spend $300+ probably not. One wonders how many full bundles are going to sell.

As for modules, I disagree that There should only be one “Adventures” bundle. I can see argument for it from a mechanical point of view or a “completionist” point of view (but 5E has one of those) but as a DM, I would generally stick to one world’s published modules. And if anything, I might move some Greyhawk ones into FR but FR modules, I’ve found have too much backstory that doesn’t fit my GH world. So I’d prefer to see 2 branches: “Greyhawk + Vanilla Adventures” and “Forgotten Realms Adventures”

But I concede not all would agree and it is debatable. Side effect of MY way is a new guy still plops over $100 to get the adventures of one or the other and gets many modules. It seems to fit the intended use of bundles and yet be in digestible chunks as opposed to what we have here or most of my posts for that matter :)

Varsuuk
November 27th, 2019, 18:38
I remember loving and using the hell out of Complete Thieves and Ranger books for my characters. Think Fighter was equally used by me. Just a bit fuzzy. So I am a fan of all the Complete Class ones for sure - just thought was fab of the Complete Race ones based on RP not stats. But as I said, will check tonight. Still, their presence in the bundle adds too much as one bundle for me to plop at this time and makes me more likely to just select the 3-4 I’ll ever buy and write my own from my book and pdf modules for non biggies like ToEE/Slavers. I’d buy Tomb of Horrors in a GH Adventures bundle, but if once I buy ToEE and def if bought Slavers, the door is closed forever on bundle for me.

celestian
November 27th, 2019, 19:57
I definitely loved nearly all the Complete books as they came out. I just didn’t recall any drag-drop or equipment or spells present in books like Complete Elf/Dwarf but could be my memory being bad as usual. I’ll pull one out tonight to look at it.

If you look at the preview snaps you can see (probably the first one on each) all the record types that have drag/drop entries (listed in the library when selected shot). I tried to get some shots of some/all of the records in a detail view as well.

I've attached a few but you can see all of them in the store.

Varsuuk
November 27th, 2019, 21:27
Thanks! Yup, I *did* forget all that kit stuff! I played 1E much longer than 2e and lots came later in 2e so I forget.

OK, so now race books have more value for those wishing to use kits (I probably would eventually but will start more 1E in my home game) but that doesn’t change my main issue. All in one bundle is too high a bar because of the speed it hit like what 25+ entries (yeah, totally made that up since not on the page). I already spent about $100 (full price) so that’s already lost bundle pricing plus cannot afford to spend 280$ n it now especially because ai don’t even want any of the Forgotten Realms splat books and don’t want the nearly any of the adventures (might buy one like dungeon delve Eveningstar months from now) for Forgotten Realms. I just want 80% of the Greyhawk and don’t mind getting the remainder cos can use parts for sure.

But... unless I can buy in chunks, I can’t afford it. I kept up with 5E adventures cos was like 3-4 a year. Right now, the Classics has more adventures than 5E (possibly, I think) so... hard start.

Trying to hold off temptation to buy Temple, once I do that - it’s all over, I’d feel I missed out on the bigger discounts so less likely to pay for the ones I am meh about just to get overall discount. Was hoping for a split before this sale so wouldn’t have to pick which path.

Varsuuk
November 27th, 2019, 21:28
PS Great job on that Ruleset I will say it again.

I think if given a try, it could rank up there with 5e in FG users at least :) especially with those cool adventures. IMO (which is biased lol)

Bonkon
December 6th, 2019, 21:47
Good Day All :)
I agree with Vasuuk. Fantastic job Celestian!!
I think it would be a rude awakening to those who played 5E as to how easy it is to lose a character in 2E. We have played 5E on FG for the last couple years and have only had a char come close (2 failed death saves with no successes) once but then had a critical success and a follow up success. When you use the Deaths Door in 2E it really changes battles as you try to figure out how to save an ally in the middle of a fight :)

Alexander Souhleris
January 31st, 2020, 04:22
Hello I'm brand new and need some help setting up so i have a few questions.
1. When I start a campaign and try to look up spells, races, items, armor, features, traits, and other similar things, their is no information entered to choose from. Do I need to read my personal books and enter in all the id's and everything manually or is their some sort of download that does this?
2. If I buy the core books and related items from the store, will it populate these areas(id's) automatically?
3. If this is the case and their is a way to get all of these areas populated other then manually typing everything, with me as the DM and others using free demos, will they have access to the same auto fill areas and populations?

celestian
January 31st, 2020, 04:29
Hello I'm brand new and need some help setting up so i have a few questions.
1. When I start a campaign and try to look up spells, races, items, armor, features, traits, and other similar things, their is no information entered to choose from. Do I need to read my personal books and enter in all the id's and everything manually or is their some sort of download that does this?
2. If I buy the core books and related items from the store, will it populate these areas(id's) automatically?
3. If this is the case and their is a way to get all of these areas populated other then manually typing everything, with me as the DM and others using free demos, will they have access to the same auto fill areas and populations?

The ruleset itself doesn't include data. It is the framework to play AD&D with.

The Player's Handbook will give you races, classes, basic items, spells, skills and the entire content of the PHB in readable form in FG.
The Monstrous Manual will give you all the NPCs and tables from the MM.
The Dungeon Masters Guide will give you all the magic items and tables and the entire content of the DMG in readable form in FG.

Here is a link to the current list of items (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/productbundle.php?bundleid=WOTC2EBUNDLE) for the AD&D ruleset on the FG store.

You can also input all this manually.

damned
January 31st, 2020, 04:33
Hi Alexander,

As per the post that brought you here - this data is all in the relevant books - Players Handbook and Monster Manual mostly.
This content is based on material that is owned by the Wizards of the Coast and is licensed to be sold here as Fantasy Grounds Modules or DLC.

You can also enter everything in manually as you need it.
You will find that the source books are very good value when compared to the time to data entry everything.

Alexander Souhleris
January 31st, 2020, 04:34
Once i buy them, will the demo users be able to see that too as long as they are in my campaign?
Also where do i manually enter thieving skill percentiles?

damned
January 31st, 2020, 04:36
Ninja'd

Do note that the versions in the Store are specifically 2nd Edition so there are some differences to 1st Edition.

Otherwise you can totally enter the content yourself if you absolutely must have the 1E book version data. It is unlikely that the 1E core books will ever be sold here - its too close to 2E for the amount of work required.

damned
January 31st, 2020, 04:38
Your players will be able to access the Players Handbook but not the other two.

You will gain great value from this thread: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?49036-AD-amp-D-2E-Ruleset-Tips

Thieves Skills here: https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGU/pages/2293798/Skills

Alexander Souhleris
January 31st, 2020, 04:40
Wow Thank you so much. Lots of prepping to do now. :)

damned
January 31st, 2020, 04:43
Wow Thank you so much. Lots of prepping to do now. :)

Yep!
There are a LOT of features and functionality in the 2E ruleset.
Dont try to master it all before you start playing.
Start with the basics and expand your knowledge as you go.

But definitely read that Tips thread. Soooooo much good info there.

GunbunnyFuFu
February 1st, 2020, 18:54
Where do we report problems with the various handbooks? I found some formatting issues with the Fighter's handbook.

celestian
February 1st, 2020, 19:09
Where do we report problems with the various handbooks? I found some formatting issues with the Fighter's handbook.

Feel free to open a thread. For a while I was doing it for everything I put out but it did not seem to be of use to the community outside of the big 3 core books.

kylemahaney
March 21st, 2020, 22:30
Table 1 has a typo for "lift gates" at the top, in the PHB.

celestian
March 21st, 2020, 23:12
Table 1 has a typo for "lift gates" at the top, in the PHB.

Bend Bars/Lift Dates ... that gives new meaning to picking someone up.

Got it ;)

Sterno
April 24th, 2020, 17:52
This was what I needed in my life and didn't even know it. Just bought the entire bundle. RIP $370.

Would absolutely love to see the Night Below boxed set given the treatment.

JohnD
April 24th, 2020, 18:14
This was what I needed in my life and didn't even know it. Just bought the entire bundle. RIP $370.

1. Excellent decision making.

2. Patience!

kylemahaney
April 24th, 2020, 20:06
FYI if there's an interest in getting the ball rolling on Night Below, I did convert it all to a C&C module years ago with all the art and everything and I'm sure I could rework it into a 2e module if there was an option of it getting published.

celestian
April 24th, 2020, 20:15

I began this process a few weeks ago. It will be a extended conversion cycle because it's so big and I'm also working on the ruleset to add improvements and the upcoming FGU release.

So far, I've got the 3 booklets text into FG and formatted. I'll start walking through each book now to create the encounter/treasure/npcs.

I'm guesstimating the project wont be completed for 3 months at least. It also depends on maps and what needs to be done to them to make them acceptable for VTT use.

kylemahaney
April 24th, 2020, 20:44
Very excited to hear that.

gqwebb
April 24th, 2020, 22:05

Ah, my how delightful, perhaps one small extension to go with that buffet

https://images.boredomfiles.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/11/2018/10/Monty-Python-GIF.gif

OLD SCHOOL RULE!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1mXVSnYyLA

Sterno
April 25th, 2020, 03:53
Great! Think I'll start with Temple of Elemental Evil, then, and by the time the party TPKs and needs to start some fresh level 1s, maybe Night Below will be out!

What kind of ruleset improvements are you looking at?

celestian
April 25th, 2020, 07:13
What kind of ruleset improvements are you looking at?

I post things I'm working on in a local thread (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?54664-AD-amp-D-Ruleset-updates-coming) ;)

micael
June 13th, 2020, 14:48

Documentation for the ruleset can be found here. (https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGU/pages/1736705/2E+Ruleset)

Tips and tricks thread (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?49036-AD-amp-D-2E-Ruleset-Tips) is also a good location to review for some not-so-well known features.

Excellent, when will players options Spells&magic and Combat&Tactics released? Best optinonal rules 2ed AD&D ever.
Thanks
Micael

celestian
June 13th, 2020, 18:17
Excellent, when will players options Spells&magic and Combat&Tactics released?

Both would require SIGNIFICANT ruleset code changes to implement since the rules diverge from the original AD&D system. Because of that and my current project list I've no timeframe to give you.

MaxSterling
September 20th, 2020, 14:22
I just picked up the core rulebooks with a couple modules to get started and the rest of the bundle next check. Thanks for everyone that worked on all the conversions. Is there a place where I can see what conversions are in progress? I am interested in the Complete Dwarves, Gnomes & Halflings and Humanoids books as well as the Complete Ninja's, Sha'irs, Psionic's, Bard's, Spacefarer's, and Gladiator's. Oh and more items like from Arms & Equipment and Aurora's Whole Realms. Also is there a way to get the original 2nd Edition Art from the Player's and DM's guides as part of my purchase as that was what I wanted to use to show my players? Lastly will there be the monster compendiums releases?

esmdev
September 20th, 2020, 15:46
I just picked up the core rulebooks with a couple modules to get started and the rest of the bundle next check. Thanks for everyone that worked on all the conversions. Is there a place where I can see what conversions are in progress? I am interested in the Complete Dwarves, Gnomes & Halflings and Humanoids books as well as the Complete Ninja's, Sha'irs, Psionic's, Bard's, Spacefarer's, and Gladiator's. Oh and more items like from Arms & Equipment and Aurora's Whole Realms. Also is there a way to get the original 2nd Edition Art from the Player's and DM's guides as part of my purchase as that was what I wanted to use to show my players? Lastly will there be the monster compendiums releases?

Sadly, because of the way that these products are developed (by unpaid community developers who write them and then submit them whenever they are done with it or abandon it before completion) there is really no way of knowing what is in the pipeline (mostly, though sometimes people do indicate what they are working on personally). So it's sort of a surprise, X has just been released, situation.

Complete Bard's is out: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.php?id=WOTC2ECBH

Some of those (Sha'irs, Spacefarer's, and Gladiators) are linked to campaign settings which SmiteWorks may or may not have authorization to develop for.

Psionics requires Psionics to be added to the ruleset's capabilities (which I think I read is being considered, or maybe in development, hopefully Celestian can provide more details).

Dwarves, Gnomes & Halflings, and Humanoids are probably in some stage of development, though I don't know fore sure.

Art is generally limited to what WotC says they can use. So if the module is based on a specific book, that's what they're allowed to use.

Compendiums would be a nice add, and again may already be in development, hard to know. The other thing to consider is many compendiums are linked to campaign settings (Greyhawk, Ravensloft, Spelljammer, Dark Sun, etc.) so that might be a sticking point (though I don't know for sure).

MaxSterling
September 20th, 2020, 16:14
Thank's for the response. The shine on the Bard's was hard to make out at first glance. I understand if SmiteWorks doesn't have access however Greyhawk and Forgotten Realms Compendiums should be available since the modules are available. Could be an overreach but 1e default setting is Greyhawk. Is there a subforum where people are discussing what projects they are working on? In the forums I've read so far Celestial is working on Night Below.

esmdev
September 20th, 2020, 16:42
Thank's for the response. The shine on the Bard's was hard to make out at first glance. I understand if SmiteWorks doesn't have access however Greyhawk and Forgotten Realms Compendiums should be available since the modules are available. Could be an overreach but 1e default setting is Greyhawk. Is there a subforum where people are discussing what projects they are working on? In the forums I've read so far Celestial is working on Night Below.

Not really, just periodically someone in some forum at some point says something to the effect of I've been working on such and such forever and it's slow going, or something similar. Not specifically Classic D&D but across the board of the licensed products.

MaxSterling
September 20th, 2020, 16:58
Good to know, was going to dig into the forums needlessly and you saved me some time. How would I go about converting and submitting them myself. I know this is a tall order but I have time and the materials on hand physical and pdf.

esmdev
September 20th, 2020, 17:10
Good to know, was going to dig into the forums needlessly and you saved me some time. How would I go about converting and submitting them myself. I know this is a tall order but I have time and the materials on hand physical and pdf.

I would probably start with emailing [email protected] and ask them about the criteria and availability of whatever you are considering converting.

Bonkon
September 20th, 2020, 18:53
Good Day MaxSterling :)
Perhaps start your research about making FG products here:
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?11156-Want-to-produce-official-FG-products-adventures-rulesets :)

SylvanSnake
July 25th, 2023, 18:09
Super important question. If I'm using 2E psionics, is there a way to change the attack and defense modes to the values in the Psionics Handbook instead of Skills&Powers values?
I'm assuming "Intellect Fortress;DMGPSPO: 2" sets the defensive values against the various attacks. Right? But can it be edited?

Also, there seems to be a bug where I get an error using a psionic attack against a target with no defense active.

celestian
July 25th, 2023, 22:25
Super important question. If I'm using 2E psionics, is there a way to change the attack and defense modes to the values in the Psionics Handbook instead of Skills&Powers values?
I'm assuming "Intellect Fortress;DMGPSPO: 2" sets the defensive values against the various attacks. Right? But can it be edited?

Also, there seems to be a bug where I get an error using a psionic attack against a target with no defense active.

The psionic system is not directly supported by the ruleset as there is no content (Darksun, revised). What psionics features that do exist are experimental. I wrote them when someone was going to convert the DS ruleset but then WoTC declined to let the setting be converted.

SylvanSnake
July 26th, 2023, 08:36
The psionic system is not directly supported by the ruleset as there is no content (Darksun, revised). What psionics features that do exist are experimental. I wrote them when someone was going to convert the DS ruleset but then WoTC declined to let the setting be converted.

Oh, I'm aware of that, but I'm doing my own psionics adaptation for personal use. The MTHAC0 system is already there and I copied the powers into my own custom module to use for a campaign I'm going to run. Mainly I want to modify the attack and defense modes to resemble the original Psionics Handbook system. Not really a fan of psionic combat being simply a matter of who runs out of PSP first.