PDA

View Full Version : LFP: Short Symbaroum introductory campaign, TUE April 30, 5.30 PM GMT (flexible)

stephan_
April 16th, 2019, 20:09
Do not expect an epic, polished game! This game will be us stumbling over rules and getting them wrong most of the time. This game will be a short teaser on Symbaroum to determine whether any longer campaigns are feasible. There will most likely be a short Shadow of the Demon Lord test campaign next.

FG License: Ultimate (players only need demo)

Game System: Symbaroum

Time Zone: GMT +2

Day of week and time: TUE 5.30 PM GMT (another weekday and time +-1 hour might also be possible, be sure to state any requests below)

If new game, planned start date: TUE April 30th, 5.30 PM GMT (if there are enough players by then)

If necessary, we can use an additional first session to go over the rules quickly.

If there is enough interest from non-GMT-adjacent-timezones, I would also consider running it on the weekend, so feel free to post here and state your interest even if you can't make weekday GMT evenings.

Planned Duration & Frequency: 3-4 hour sessions for 2-3 weeks

Term: Short term (2-3 weeks)

Text or Voice: Voice

Voice software used: Teamspeak (Discord if Teamspeak is down)

Will this be recorded and/or live streamed? No

Roleplay & Combat mix: Honestly, it will most likely be 25 % roleplay, 35 % combat and 40 % of us being unsure about the rules and/or the automatisation. As I and presumably most players are new to the ruleset and the FG ruleset is pretty new, don't expect things to go smoothly, it will most likely be a learning experiment for all of us.

Number of Players in game & needed: Currently 1 player, around 3 players needed (though I might consider running it only for two players if it seems unlikely to get more in the short term)

Character starting level & equipment: Pregens are provided (the ones from the Core Rulebook), you can use your own character if you feel relatively confident that you can build it yourself.

Character restrictions: I would advice you not to make the character too complicated for the first game and stick to the Core Rulebook, though feel free to run it by me if you want any particular build.

Details of your scenario:

The land you are leaving is barren and dead, ravaged by dark magic. Before you lies Ambria with its rampant rivers, bountiful forests and fertile soils, promising well-earned rest for weary souls. But will it deliver? The region you are headed for is ancient. Under the sublime surface, age-old conflicts still run hot and the northbound refugees gush out over the landscape like lamp oil over a smoldering hearth.

A wintry breeze follows you and your companions through the Titans, the mountain range separating the dead Alberetor in the south from Ambria up north. It is still far from certain that you will reach your destination. Many of your exiled brothers and sisters have perished on the way, from hunger or exhaustion or in the jaws of predators roaming the wilds. And for you there is yet another cause for concern – some of your companions claim to hear a whispering voice in the gusts of snowy mountain air.

Same disclaimer as above: Do not expect an epic, polished game! This game will be us stumbling over rules and getting them wrong most of the time. This game will be a short teaser on Symbaroum to determine whether any longer campaigns are feasible. There will most likely be a short Shadow of the Demon Lord test campaign next.

Link to Gamecalendar page: here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/index.xcp?id=3452)

Edit: Currently all spots filled, feel free to apply to the waiting list though (as there is always the chance of someone having to drop out).

vegaserik
April 16th, 2019, 23:32
If you do run it on a Saturday, I'm interested. This game looks amazing. Just got the core book and can't read it cause all I want to do is stare at the artwork!

stephan_
April 17th, 2019, 11:20
Alright, thanks. Yes, the art style is definitely appealing.

Currently up to two players who could do the TUE date. SAT date would probably be 6 PM GMT but no promises yet.

Nifon
April 17th, 2019, 12:00
I would like to join and am down for all fri,sat,and sun.maybe any day depending on what time it is

stephan_
April 17th, 2019, 15:20
Thanks.

First preference for time would be TUE 5.30 PM GMT (+-1 hour)

Other possibilities would be MON 5.30 PM GMT (+-1 hour), THU 5.30 PM GMT (+-1 hour) or SAT 6 PM GMT (+- 1 hour) (maybe FR 5.30 PM GMT (+-1 hour), however no promises on this alternative) but I'd have to check with the two other players' availability first.

Artaron
April 18th, 2019, 14:04
Looking forward to it. Rich setting and great art !

stephan_
April 18th, 2019, 17:02
Ah, the joys of scheduling. As a tutorial campaign, I would also run it for 3-4 players.

Please let me know whether the following dates would work for you, using the following metric (or something similar) to indicate your availability, either here or via any other channels I seem likely to check:

preferred - works - might work/some issues (e.g. not on X.Y.Z.) - does not work

TUE would work best for me (but is only a preference), FR I'd have to double-check the particular dates.

I'm assuming only SAT for those of you in non-GMT-adjacent timezones.

MON 5.30 PM GMT (+-1 hour)
TUE 5.30 PM GMT (+-1 hour)
THU 5.30 PM GMT (+-1 hour)
FR 5.30 PM GMT (+-1 hour),
SAT 6 PM GMT (+- 1 hour)

All of the dates: presumably starting the 29th of April for 2-3 weeks

Edit: Now with doodle link (https://doodle.com/poll/6w6bb2mqu47wxg89)

stephan_
April 19th, 2019, 16:06
Lots of different preferences, unfortunately no alternative that's suitable for everyone. Looks like at least 3 players could make it on SAT May 4th, so that's the most probable date at this point in time for the first session.

For the players who could not make SAT: Would anything change if it was around 1 hour earlier?

I added two more options for SUN April 28th just in case but be aware I'm not sure myself yet whether I have time on this date.

I'll still wait a few more days before making the final decision though in case anything changes (new players etc.) Apologies in advance to those that might not make the date but it's the least bad candidate (without waiting a few weeks).

stephan_
April 25th, 2019, 11:51
As there was no new input, I would schedule the first session for SAT May 4th, 6 PM GMT. Duration: 3-4 hours.

Characters: Everything in the Core Rulebook should be fine. If you want to use other materials, I'd appreciate it if you discussed it with me first. Note that it is relatively easy to create overpowered characters (e.g. damage or armor stacking) but it might not necessarily be a very fun way to play for you and/or the others. You can of course also use the pregens.

If you need the server up to build your character, feel free to contact me.

Please send me/build your character/notify me of your pregen a few days before the game so I can review the necessary rules.

Technical details and contact: See game calendar page - GM Announcements

Paxman
April 25th, 2019, 17:41
Id like to join if its not to late. I'm returning to D&D after 30 years so I'm new to online play. I can build up a quick character (fighter) if you need, or I can send you one I have here in FG. I'm in CDT so I can do the Saturday game.

Thanks
Dan

stephan_
April 25th, 2019, 17:44
You are of course free to join but be aware this is not a 5E game but Symbaroum (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.php?id=IPFGSRPDRULESET).

Paxman
April 25th, 2019, 17:59
OK, Ill create a new character then!

Paxman
April 25th, 2019, 18:04
I guess I need a host address to get in and create a character.....I only have 5e with my friends game

Thanks ****I just down loaded it so I have the rule set***

stephan_
April 25th, 2019, 23:21
Feel free to tell me if you need the server up to create a character (alias see GM Announcements in the game calendar).

Paxman
April 25th, 2019, 23:50
Feel free to tell me if you need the server up to create a character (alias see GM Announcements in the game calendar).

Yep, and I tried to build a character....so different from 5e

stephan_
April 30th, 2019, 11:24
Reminder:

As there was no new input, I would schedule the first session for SAT May 4th, 6 PM GMT. Duration: 3-4 hours.

Characters: Everything in the Core Rulebook should be fine. If you want to use other materials, I'd appreciate it if you discussed it with me first. Note that it is relatively easy to create overpowered characters (e.g. damage or armor stacking) but it might not necessarily be a very fun way to play for you and/or the others. You can of course also use the pregens.

If you need the server up to build your character, feel free to contact me.

Please send me/build your character/notify me of your pregen a few days before the game so I can review the necessary rules.

Technical details and contact: See game calendar page - GM Announcements

stephan_
May 3rd, 2019, 21:55
Reminder about tomorrow's game.

stephan_
May 4th, 2019, 17:41
The server is currently up if you want to build your character (alias under GM Announcements in the game calendar).

stephan_
May 5th, 2019, 09:40
First session more or less successfully complete.

The result of the difficult task of trying to navigate the different adventure options without being hit by spoilers left and right (and after not realising for a long time that The Promised Land is the first part of the Copper Crown):

The Mark of the Beast does indeed seem to be the best continuation, so I would tentatively schedule it for (edited), which should take around 2 sessions.

I might post a new LFP due to the fact that I can't change the title to indicate the starting day and time has changed.

Update: One player can't make the 11th. Should we try to schedule something on SUN 12th or simply on SAT May 18th?

Afterwalker
May 22nd, 2019, 07:54
Hello! I'm new to this forum, but I'm a long time fan of tabletop roleplay, and I saw your invitation on Discord. Much to my regret I only have limited actual play experience. (Someone once DMed a single session of 3.5 for me in middle school and I've for the past few years attempted to DM games for 5e but struggled to maintain player interest.) Lately, after attempting to finagle a system more suited for somber dark fantasy out of 5e by using variant rules and a small amount of homebrew, I've begun to suspect that 5e simply isn't made for the kind of fantasy I'm interested in. (I could go into detail on why this is, talk about how its magic system is really only suited for one specific kind of high fantasy, but I'm already rambling here so I'll cut to the chase.) I think Symbaroum is much more closely suited to my interest, and while I have two of the .pdfs (core rulebook, advanced player's guide) I lack the confidence to attempt to GM it myself, as I already struggle to be an adequate GM in my on-and-off 5e game. I think that what I really want to be is a player, and even if I do attempt to GM a game of this down the road, I think having experienced play at least once would be extremely valuable for me. So if you still have a spot open in your game, I would love to join! However, I understand if you don't, and I will keep looking elsewhere. Right now my schedule is fairly open, although my time zone is EST, if that becomes an issue.

Afterwalker
May 22nd, 2019, 08:19
Woops!

stephan_
May 22nd, 2019, 15:48
Hello! I'm new to this forum, but I'm a long time fan of tabletop roleplay, and I saw your invitation on Discord. Much to my regret I only have limited actual play experience. (Someone once DMed a single session of 3.5 for me in middle school and I've for the past few years attempted to DM games for 5e but struggled to maintain player interest.) Lately, after attempting to finagle a system more suited for somber dark fantasy out of 5e by using variant rules and a small amount of homebrew, I've begun to suspect that 5e simply isn't made for the kind of fantasy I'm interested in. (I could go into detail on why this is, talk about how its magic system is really only suited for one specific kind of high fantasy, but I'm already rambling here so I'll cut to the chase.) I think Symbaroum is much more closely suited to my interest, and while I have two of the .pdfs (core rulebook, advanced player's guide) I lack the confidence to attempt to GM it myself, as I already struggle to be an adequate GM in my on-and-off 5e game. I think that what I really want to be is a player, and even if I do attempt to GM a game of this down the road, I think having experienced play at least once would be extremely valuable for me. So if you still have a spot open in your game, I would love to join! However, I understand if you don't, and I will keep looking elsewhere. Right now my schedule is fairly open, although my time zone is EST, if that becomes an issue.

Hi, sure. Limited play experience is fine, all of us started with even less.

Just don't expect anyone of us to have a lot of experience with the Symbaroum rules, we're learning them as we go along.

And yes, Symbaroum is in a way more suitable to certain settings (and has gorgeous artwork).

Characters: See above.

Scheduling games has been a bit tricky, so I suggest using this doodle (https://doodle.com/poll/5r93dcrzddkia8ii) so we can schedule the next game.

If you want to build your character I can usually have the server open GMT evenings or on the weekend.

stephan_
May 25th, 2019, 16:21
Next scheduled game: SAT June 1st 6 PM GMT.

Afterwalker
May 26th, 2019, 20:31
I need a host address in order to connect and make the character in fantasy grounds, yes? If it's simpler, I could just create a character on paper using the rules from the core rulebook, if you like.

stephan_
May 26th, 2019, 21:34
Yes, you'll need the FG alias (found under GM Announcements in the game calendar) and the server has to be up. Feel free to build the first version offline but we should arrange some time for you to build the character also on FG at a later date.

Afterwalker
May 27th, 2019, 00:09
Yes, you'll need the FG alias (found under GM Announcements in the game calendar) and the server has to be up. Feel free to build the first version offline but we should arrange some time for you to build the character also on FG at a later date.

Sounds good. I'm available whenever, except for monday nights, so just let me know when a good time is for you.

stephan_
May 28th, 2019, 20:17
I could have the server up in a few minutes (or usually any other time GMT evenings).

stephan_
May 31st, 2019, 20:45
I could have the server up again either this evening or tomorrow.

stephan_
June 6th, 2019, 12:48
Next scheduled game June 8th 6 PM GMT.

Cyelance
June 7th, 2019, 14:52
So how many people are in your campaign? Or is this a new one starting on June 8th? Unfortunately I cannot play on saturday at 6 PM GMT. I have to work every saturday at that time. :(

stephan_
June 7th, 2019, 19:12
It is a continuation of the campaign (part 3 of a trilogy) started on May 4th, running for about 2-3 more sessions.

Players: Three regulars and one maybe so far.

Honestly, at this point in time I don't think it is likely that the game time will still change.

Afterwalker
June 10th, 2019, 22:19
Sorry for not replying for so long. Unexpected real life events got in the way, but I have time now. I can get on fantasy grounds tomorrow if that works for you.

stephan_
June 10th, 2019, 22:29
Alright, with that we would currently have five players, so a full party.

Unfortunately I'm running another game tomorrow, I could have it up WED or THUR GMT evening though.

Afterwalker
June 13th, 2019, 20:16
I'm available tonight if you're online; I just messaged you in discord.

Edit: I'm not sure if it's active right now or not, but I'm getting the message "Could not connect to the host. Check your network settings and verify the host address."

stephan_
June 13th, 2019, 20:40
I can have the server up in around 5 minutes but will be unavailable myself.

Note that there is no game this SAT. I'm currently trying to organise a game for SUN 16th 5 or 6 PM GMT but it is as of yet unsure whether there will be one. If not, the next game will be on the regular time SAT June 22nd 6 PM GMT.

stephan_
June 13th, 2019, 21:59
As no one has logged in so far, I'm shutting the server down again.

stephan_
June 14th, 2019, 10:49
Next scheduled game: SAT June 22nd 6 PM GMT.

Afterwalker
June 14th, 2019, 18:27
I'm available tonight if you wouldn't mind running the server.

stephan_
June 15th, 2019, 09:15
Unfortunately I was not at home yesterday evening but I hope we'll manage to do it sometime.

Afterwalker
July 6th, 2019, 18:07
I know it's been a while since we've been in touch, but I'm available tomorrow if you're still interested in having me.

stephan_
July 6th, 2019, 23:11
I am currently traveling so unfortunately I am definitely not available this weekend.

KrakkaKilla
August 21st, 2021, 17:30
Are you still looking for players?

stephan_
August 21st, 2021, 23:24
This campaign unfortunately finished two years ago.