PDA

View Full Version : Hacking a Theme

swbuza
April 13th, 2019, 20:50
This is the thread for Steve's ChatBars Theme for Starfinder.

While I do like the Paizo goblin themes for Pathfinder, it didn't quite set the right mood for me for Starfinder. Plus I wanted to simplify the interface a bit. Basically, this moves the sidebar into the chat window in an attempt to save desktop space.

Old versions of this extension included a lot of instructions for stuff that had been deprecated in the CoreRPG and SFRPG rulesets, particularly in Desktop Manager. This is an update to version 2.0 and is a bars-only version that uses opaque frames. While I kind of liked the semi-transparent frames from a glass HUD looking perspective, they did make some things hard to read, so I've done away with those. I have not updated the icon-only version. Perhaps will do that some time down the road.

Revisions
----------------------------------
v 2021-03-10 Renamed to SFRPG ChatBars. Bars-only version. Removed references to deprecated DesktopManager stuff.

v 1.6 Release of Bars and Icons as separate extensions.

v1.5 Minor Tweaks

v1.4 Image Handling Improvements

v1.3 Fixed Moving Image Window to Background

v1.2 Fixed the Dice Tower

v1.1 Fixed background image tiling problem

v1.0 Initial release.

imjedi
April 13th, 2019, 21:11
I like it!

Blahness98
April 13th, 2019, 22:37
While I like the Gobbo theme, I really am liking what you are putting together.

Meliath1742
April 15th, 2019, 00:14
Impressive...most impressive!

damned
April 15th, 2019, 00:20
Playing around a bit...

Looks very interesting.
Have you anchored the sidebar buttons into the chatwindow?
Have you tested on a smaller FG window size?

swbuza
April 16th, 2019, 02:32
Updated. Playing around with opacity/transparency. I was kind of thinking I liked the idea of a starship HUD look. Also, made some new utility buttons to match the theme.

Yes, I have anchored the sidebar buttons into the chatwindow, but I'm not 100% sure I did it right, as I lack understanding of classes, panels, and anchors :) One thing I haven't figured out is how to make additional columns in the shortcutsanchor grow right instead of left, which is a problem if there are too many buttons. Plus, I'm not even sure that I've got control over shortcutsanchor to begin with.

damned
April 16th, 2019, 08:45
Updated. Playing around with opacity/transparency. I was kind of thinking I liked the idea of a starship HUD look. Also, made some new utility buttons to match the theme.

Yes, I have anchored the sidebar buttons into the chatwindow, but I'm not 100% sure I did it right, as I lack understanding of classes, panels, and anchors :) One thing I haven't figured out is how to make additional columns in the shortcutsanchor grow right instead of left, which is a problem if there are too many buttons. Plus, I'm not even sure that I've got control over shortcutsanchor to begin with.

You can also limit the number of columns that the menu will display.
Trenloe posted an example of this somewhere a few weeks ago.

Davido1000
April 16th, 2019, 10:23
Wow this is pretty great!

Trenloe
April 16th, 2019, 17:51
Trenloe posted an example of this somewhere a few weeks ago.
Indeed I did. Find it here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?47886-5E-theme-with-with-small-right-side-buttons&p=425865&viewfull=1#post425865 and details discussed in the previous posts.

swbuza
April 16th, 2019, 18:11
Yep, I found this myself as well.

function onInit()

DesktopManager.showDockTitleText(false);
DesktopManager.setStackIconSizeAndSpacing(49, 39, 1, 0);
DesktopManager.setDockIconSizeAndSpacing(100, 31, 0, -2);
DesktopManager.setLowerDockOffset(3, 0, 0, 0);
DesktopManager.setMaxDockColumns(1);

end

swbuza
April 16th, 2019, 18:12
But, I'd rather figure out a way to have the stack grow right instead of left.

swbuza
April 23rd, 2019, 04:33
Updated. See first post.

jasonthelamb
April 23rd, 2019, 12:38
Wow this looks great!

msbranin
April 25th, 2019, 16:17
Is the background hard coded? I am in 1920X1080 and the image repeats at about 3/4 of the screen.
Shown Here 27168

I have tried messing with decals, turning them off ect but that same image is always there repeating.

swbuza
April 25th, 2019, 19:14
Is the background hard coded? I am in 1920X1080 and the image repeats at about 3/4 of the screen.
Shown Here 27168

I have tried messing with decals, turning them off ect but that same image is always there repeating.

I believe it’s 1920x1080 image, as that’s the resolution I use. Strange. I’ll look at it tonight.

msbranin
April 25th, 2019, 20:03
I figured it out. The cause of the Picture wrapping is due to UI Scaling. I use a UI scale of 76% if I scale up to 100% it looks correct but then my windows are too big. Is there a way to make the Image work like the decals or have an option for 10 picture at all. I know that in the default SF UI The picture does not wrap when I have a lower UI scale.

Trenloe
April 25th, 2019, 20:12
Use the <decal> setting in the <framedef> to keep a graphics in the center and not tile it. Info here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/refdoc/framedef.xcp

Currently, the <framedef> for the desktop results in the main graphic as the <middle> component - which gets tiled.

Trenloe
April 25th, 2019, 20:16
I know that in the default SF UI The picture does not wrap when I have a lower UI scale.
It does wrap, it's just that the graphic is designed to be a tile and so you don't see the joins when it's tiled at different resolutions.

swbuza
April 25th, 2019, 21:53
Use the <decal> setting in the <framedef> to keep a graphics in the center and not tile it. Info here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/refdoc/framedef.xcp

Currently, the <framedef> for the desktop results in the main graphic as the <middle> component - which gets tiled.

Awesome! Thanks Trenloe. I'll update it later tonight.

leozelig
April 26th, 2019, 00:05
Nice job, I like what you did with the sidebar buttons.

RoleforFun
April 29th, 2019, 18:23
Huge fan! Great job!!

Rendran
May 6th, 2019, 00:06
One thing I noticed is that the dice tower didn't work for me.
Other than that the theme is really good!

Roboconn
May 15th, 2019, 03:37
Yeah, dice tower not working makes me sad.

Samarex
June 22nd, 2019, 14:07
Very Nice I like the Side Bar.

Roboconn
June 22nd, 2019, 18:22
Am I missing something on this theme to make the dice tower work? I think I've tried ever setting.

msbranin
June 22nd, 2019, 23:03
Dice tower does not work. That's one of the issues with this theme that has so far not been addressed. We use FG to display the map onto a TV and everyone rolls in person anyway so it has not been an issue for us.

Serv
July 2nd, 2019, 00:32
Any update as to when/if the dice tower will be working? That's the only thing stopping me from using it. :(

Samarex
July 2nd, 2019, 05:15
Any update as to when/if the dice tower will be working? That's the only thing stopping me from using it. :(

Just to expand on the issue.
The Dice tower appears but does nothing when you drop dice on it.

lt54stud
July 3rd, 2019, 14:15
I spent some time looking at the xml, and there doesn't seem to be anything that would break it. There's nothing in the xml that references the dicetower. The official ruleset mentions dicetower a few times, but the extension doesn't overwrite that as far as I can tell, with xml. My thought is that the desktop initialization .lua is overwriting something, but I definitely don't know any lua syntax to understand it.

Trenloe
July 3rd, 2019, 16:54
This can be fixed by adding the dicetower panel code from CoreRPG to the desktop_panels.xml file.

<panel name="dicetower" modes="host,client">
<anchored height="90" width="90">
<bottom offset="-35" />
<right parent="shortcutsanchor" anchor="left" offset="-45" />
</anchored>
<class>dicetower</class>
<dynamic />
<locked />
</panel>

msbranin
July 3rd, 2019, 19:21
That fixed the dice tower thank you. The only issue I am having now is the Chat Window resetting itself to a default location every time I restart fantasy grounds. But I dont think thats a theme specific issue as it does the same with the default Starfinder theme as well.

Trenloe
July 3rd, 2019, 19:40
That fixed the dice tower thank you. The only issue I am having now is the Chat Window resetting itself to a default location every time I restart fantasy grounds. But I dont think thats a theme specific issue as it does the same with the default Starfinder theme as well.
Yep, that's an FG thing...

Samarex
July 4th, 2019, 00:20
Yep, that's an FG thing...

Shouldn't that be saved to the windowscondition file in the campaign dir. (not sure actual file name Im on my phone)

Trenloe
July 4th, 2019, 01:19
Shouldn't that be saved to the windowscondition file in the campaign dir. (not sure actual file name Im on my phone)
It isn't being saved. Whether it *should* is up for debate...

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?47623-Chat-window-and-Dice-Tower-locations-not-saved

msbranin
July 4th, 2019, 03:46
Personally with the chat window being shoved down on top of my dice every restart.... I tend to think it should be saved. That is just me though

Talen
July 5th, 2019, 12:52
Very nice extension. Thank you.

swbuza
July 5th, 2019, 15:23
Updated to 1.2, to fix the dice tower. Sorry for the delay. I've been off doing other things.

Blacklamb
July 5th, 2019, 18:10
I love this theme but I have noticed one issue when I send an image like a map to the background. When I do that I am no longer able to do anything with the image including closing it also it still reserves space on the right for the old button bar. you get to that mode by clicking the little brown button next to the lock at the top of the image window. I like that mode and use it alot because I can have my NPC blocks and story windows open and easy to get to when the map is open.

madman
July 5th, 2019, 18:57
IIRC that function anchors to the Sidebar And the Chat Window. So it will not work as intended when both those items are on one side of the screen. Just make your images larger do not send them to the backbround.

And in hindsight maybe those buttons should be commented out @swbuza

swbuza
July 5th, 2019, 20:05
I've literally never used that feature before. will have to experiment.

swbuza
July 5th, 2019, 23:30
I love this theme but I have noticed one issue when I send an image like a map to the background. When I do that I am no longer able to do anything with the image including closing it also it still reserves space on the right for the old button bar. you get to that mode by clicking the little brown button next to the lock at the top of the image window. I like that mode and use it alot because I can have my NPC blocks and story windows open and easy to get to when the map is open.

Just uploaded v1.3. This is my attempt to fix the issue. Let me know how it works for you.

swbuza
July 5th, 2019, 23:33
Updated to v1.4 to improve the background image handling.

madman
July 6th, 2019, 18:24
Wow, great job. Thanks for coming back to this. I love this Theme...

swbuza
July 6th, 2019, 19:55
I've added gfx.zip to the downloads. This isn't a necessary component of the extension, but is just the source images from Photoshop in case someone wants them to add compatible buttons through other extensions.

ll00ll00ll00ll
July 6th, 2019, 22:54
incredible, great organizaion.

ll00ll00ll00ll
July 6th, 2019, 23:03
A suggestion, you know, when you have the time... you could almost definitely simplify each of the text buttons down to an icon, and the tooltip on mouseover would tell you what the icon is. This would save valuable screen space. Most players would learn the icons relatively quickly... again, this is a suggestion, i think what you've done is the first major advance on the UI of Fantasy Grounds that I've seen in years... it's always bothered me how the buttons and the chat box were always at either side of the screen. What you've done here would also be great for a multiple (stretched) monitor setup. Great work!

swbuza
July 8th, 2019, 05:20
Something like this?

msbranin
July 8th, 2019, 05:35
Wow I like that as well

Samarex
July 8th, 2019, 06:43
Something like this?

That looks good,nice and clean.
But there mght need a optuon added to the options menu. Giving you the option between Icons or Words.
Personally I liked rhe word buttons better. Didnt have to mouse over the icon everytime. Some of us older folk dont have rhe memory to remember what Icon did what.
Just me thinking ourloud.

msbranin
July 8th, 2019, 16:10
Agreed.. I really like the text being on the buttons as this theme originally had (I am near ancient and blind these days.. :) ). An option to choose either / or would be awesome.

aribethdm
July 8th, 2019, 17:59
tyvm amazing tweak

swbuza
July 8th, 2019, 18:03
That looks good,nice and clean.
But there mght need a optuon added to the options menu. Giving you the option between Icons or Words.
Personally I liked rhe word buttons better. Didnt have to mouse over the icon everytime. Some of us older folk dont have rhe memory to remember what Icon did what.
Just me thinking ourloud.

I was thinking the exact same thing for the exact same reasons. But that means I'll need to do some thinking.

swbuza
July 8th, 2019, 18:23
Incidentally, I did create button, button_down, and button_hover versions of those icons and I got hover working for the dock portion of the bar, but not the stack portion (top) or the bottom portion (library and tokens). Anyone know how to do that easily? Seems to have a different treatment.

Samarex
July 8th, 2019, 22:51
SWBUZA
A easy way to handle this that dont required major coding is ro offer it in both styles
Icons
Words
The only draw back is you have to update both when making bug fixes.
But as long as the names are the same for the graphics in both you can fix one version and copy / paste everything except the ..graphics to to other

Samarex
July 8th, 2019, 23:02
Incidentally, I did create button, button_down, and button_hover versions of those icons and I got hover working for the dock portion of the bar, but not the stack portion (top) or the bottom portion (library and tokens). Anyone know how to do that easily? Seems to have a different treatment.

I believe those are in a different area I will have a look and see.
Just so you know Im currentally the Primary developer for the Starfinder ruleset. I will make sure to keep you informed if I make any changes that affect you theme.

Samarex
July 9th, 2019, 06:47

As a Note Moon Wizard has already addressed this issue in the upcoming 3.3.8 release. Chat window and other movable windows are being saved.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?49447-Beta-Release-v3-3-8

ll00ll00ll00ll
July 9th, 2019, 16:39
Something like this?

hold on, i need to go change my pants....

this should be a standard option for all Fantasy Grounds themes. This is exactly what i have wanted from the first time i realized FG could be modded...

swbuza
July 9th, 2019, 16:42
I will make sure to keep you informed if I make any changes that affect you theme.

I really appreciate that! Thank you.

swbuza
July 9th, 2019, 16:46
SWBUZA
A easy way to handle this that dont required major coding is ro offer it in both styles
Icons
Words

Agreed. This will have to be the way it is for a while. Although I'm thinking: Buttons vs. Icons.

Blacklamb
July 10th, 2019, 16:12
Thanks for the quick fix for background images. I made a change to my layout for it to closer match the original themes size adjusting for the larger chat window and removal of shortcuts from the right with the following change.

<panel name="imagebackpanel" modes="host,client">
<anchored>
<left offset="530" />
<top />
<right />
<bottom offset="-33" />
</anchored>
<class>imagebackpanel</class>
<disabled />
</panel>

Samarex
July 10th, 2019, 20:59
Thanks for the quick fix for background images. I made a change to my layout for it to closer match the original themes size adjusting for the larger chat window and removal of shortcuts from the right with the following change.

<panel name="imagebackpanel" modes="host,client">
<anchored>
<left offset="530" />
<top />
<right />
<bottom offset="-33" />
</anchored>
<class>imagebackpanel</class>
<disabled />
</panel>

If you use the Test server 3.3.8 has fixed the chat window saving placement and size adjustment

msbranin
July 10th, 2019, 22:43
Russell, I think his reply/fix was more for the way this theme handles maximizing a map in Fantasy Grounds and less about the resizing of the chat window and the current version not remembering where it was last placed and resized. Currently, even with the changes made to this theme, when you maximize the map .. the Map leaves a gap on the right side of the screen to account for the buttons that are no longer there.

damned
July 11th, 2019, 03:35
Russell, I think his reply/fix was more for the way this theme handles maximizing a map in Fantasy Grounds and less about the resizing of the chat window and the current version not remembering where it was last placed and resized. Currently, even with the changes made to this theme, when you maximize the map .. the Map leaves a gap on the right side of the screen to account for the buttons that are no longer there.

I dont think that will be addressable...

swbuza
July 11th, 2019, 05:14
Actually, the images will go all the way to the right edge of the screen. I had put a 100 pixel offset around the image for the first zoom step (background). Seeing how people don't want that, I've removed it in v1.5.

(Blacklamb found my offset and removed it for himself. I've followed suit.)

swbuza
July 11th, 2019, 05:23
Incidentally, from a spacing perspective, doing icons instead of text bars consumes more vertical space because the upper dock will go vertical. It's tough to fit everything into a single column and have it look okay. The built in ability to scale is actually a detriment with small icons, and since the default behavior of the sidebar is to expand to the left, it doesn't work great in the chat window. Still tinkering...

swbuza
July 11th, 2019, 08:19
Updated to 1.6 with both Bars and Icons versions.

ll00ll00ll00ll
July 11th, 2019, 13:12
Updated to 1.6 with both Bars and Icons versions.

amazing.... incredible work.

Kallussed
July 22nd, 2019, 20:25
I've been looking around, and I can't seem to find a solution to this. Any way I can use the DOE: Locations Extension and DOE: Organisations Extension while using this theme? Otherwise, this is perfect!

swbuza
July 22nd, 2019, 20:51
Is the issue the lack of compatible icons?

Kallussed
July 23rd, 2019, 01:26
Is the issue the lack of compatible icons?

My bad! I missed turning them on in the library (used to them already being turned on in 5E).

The buttons are very small, but clickable.

Samarex
July 30th, 2019, 20:48
My bad! I missed turning them on in the library (used to them already being turned on in 5E).

The buttons are very small, but clickable.

Those are added Library options beyond the basic, he will need to add the text buttons for those.

Thanatos0042
August 2nd, 2019, 02:47
Hey there.

I love the Starfinder theme. I found an issue with the icons though and I am not sure how to fix them or what file to look in to try.

thanks.

goodmanje
September 6th, 2019, 10:47
How about an option for a solid black background?

swbuza
September 11th, 2019, 07:42
Hey there.

I love the Starfinder theme. I found an issue with the icons though and I am not sure how to fix them or what file to look in to try.

thanks.

This is related to the auto-sizing features for the Dock found in the CoreRPG ruleset under scripts\manager_desktop.lua. It sometimes happens depending on the size of the window and number of icons you have. I did not make any changes to this file in my extension.

swbuza
September 11th, 2019, 07:46
How about an option for a solid black background?

The background picture is in graphics\frames\desktop.png. Replace this with a solid color image.

Alternatively, you can use this very cool utility

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?47787-Utility-Background-Theme-Maker-for-FG-(All-Rulesets)

Samarex
September 13th, 2019, 13:01
This is related to the auto-sizing features for the Dock found in the CoreRPG ruleset under scripts\manager_desktop.lua. It sometimes happens depending on the size of the window and number of icons you have. I did not make any changes to this file in my extension.

Yes and if you unlock your chat window and move it a little then back to where you want, it usally clears this up and resizes the buttons.

Dyark
September 26th, 2019, 02:39
Really love that Them great job

lozanoje
October 14th, 2019, 15:22
Great work!

Since Starfinder relies in CoreRPG, will it work with CoreRPG or does it modify something starfinder-specific? I am thinking on using for a SW or CoC extension (also based on CoreRPG).

lozanoje
October 14th, 2019, 18:10
Yes, it does work with any corerpg-based ruleset!

Pepor
October 15th, 2019, 13:37
I love it! Nice work! Thank you!

madman
October 15th, 2019, 17:05
With a little work.

Pepor
October 16th, 2019, 08:05
With a little work.

Nice! I mananed to make it work with Pathfinder2 ruleset as well.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=29420&d=1571209488

Samarex
October 18th, 2019, 08:50
Nice

dpezet
October 20th, 2019, 03:44
Thank you for making this amazing theme. I love the text bars and it looks great on screen. The only thing I would change is the window transparency. I think most people like it, but for me it gets a bit messy when a text window is on top of another text window. I started poking around in the theme file and I couldn't find where you set <windowclass><backcolor> which is how I assumed you were doing it. Where would I go to override the setting?

Thanks again,

Don

lozanoje
October 20th, 2019, 12:50
This is the thread for Steve's Simplified Starfinder Themes.

Great, thank you.

How could I place the shortcutbar outside (to the left) of the chatbox, I've tried giving it an x negative value, since it is a subwindow, but seems that it must be inside the window it depends.

Also I've tried with "left" anchored position, no way. Any clues?

<subwindow name="shortcutbar">
<anchored position="insideright" />

darkpaladin45
November 14th, 2019, 02:06
Wow... love this theme.

Thanks!

-Chris

brunocalado
March 17th, 2020, 21:25
It's not working well on Unity.

When you load it all buttons are together.

You need to press on view on Library to fix.

Ulric
March 18th, 2020, 12:38
I love this theme but the windows are semi-transparent. This make it difficult to read story content depending the map or other image is underneath the Story window. When I load the default Starfinder theme the windows are not semi-transparent. I would appreciate any suggestions to fix this problem in the Bar and Icon Theme.

damned
March 18th, 2020, 12:46
Fix it? It is working as intended.
If you want to change its transparency crack it open and replace the images with non transparent ones.

Ulric
March 19th, 2020, 17:41
Fix it? It is working as intended.
If you want to change its transparency crack it open and replace the images with non transparent ones.

I never said it was not working as intended for anyone other than myself.

I did research the problem and "crack it open" before I made my post but I must have done something wrong. So, I thought I would ask a question in the thread that applied to this theme. Seems like a reasonable thing for someone to do.

The tone of your response sounds like it bothered you that I asked a question. Since I already knew it was an issue with transparent images you did not add anything to conversation.

Is there anyone else that can answer my question?

damned
March 19th, 2020, 22:51
The images are transparent. Replace the images with non transparent ones.

iamscience
March 20th, 2020, 21:36
It's not working well on Unity.

When you load it all buttons are together.

You need to press on view on Library to fix.

Bump for visibility on this. Took me an embarrassingly long time to think to check the forums.

Wintermute
March 31st, 2020, 20:58
Bumping this as well.

swbuza
April 9th, 2020, 02:20
Yep. Images are semi-transparent. It was a design choice. You'd need to replace them with opaque images (or at least the ones that annoy you most).

swbuza
April 9th, 2020, 02:21
Folks, I am changing jobs and moving cross country (yes in the midst of a pandemic). I also do not have FGU at this time. It won't be something I have time to look into for at least a couple of months.

Sorry.

Ulric
April 9th, 2020, 03:36
Yep. Images are semi-transparent. It was a design choice. You'd need to replace them with opaque images (or at least the ones that annoy you most).

Thank you for the reply. I did just that using gimp once I figured out what I had to modify using gimp. I plan to do a write up on what I did to help other users make changes to transparent theme images. Good luck on your relocation.

iamscience
April 13th, 2020, 18:05
I've been looking into the sidebar issue in FGU - From a cursory investigation I found the issue is with anchoring it to the chat window. If you remove this anchor the sidebar loads as expected. I haven't been able to get it working, not for lack of trying.

Are there any other themes that anchor the sidebar to the chat? If I can get a working reference I should be able to hack together a fix.

Naimed
July 17th, 2020, 21:15
Hey! AMAZING Job! Really helpful!

If/when you are again available to work on this.. could you update the buttons so that it includes the new Starship iniciative button? Since it does not exist on the extension, it keeps the right sidebar...

Tuleen Donai
August 9th, 2020, 00:22
Yes, I love this extension/theme, but I'm using Unity as well, so it does yet need to be tweaked for Unity.

With the Icons, it's nearly perfect, but you do have to click ALL first, then it seems you can remove things to simplify, and it adjusts well.

There is a spot there for the Ship CT button, but yes, it's still off to the right.

This is playable in my book!

Daniel Fletcher
August 10th, 2020, 19:00
So how do you change the images to non transparent. Mostly annoying on the Battle Maps.. If someone can share the steps that would be appreciated.

Tuleen Donai
September 28th, 2020, 00:43
So, this weekend I cracked open the Icon Theme and even the SFRPG ruleset. That Ship Combat Tracker ICON is unique. In fact, the one that comes up default, in the SFRPG ruleset (w/no extensions) is NO WHERE to be found! I've spent HOURS looking for it. All the other Icons, like Combat Tracker, Calendar, Party Sheet, Effects, Modifiers, Colors, Lighting, and Options (although Lightning DOES NOT show!) are there in SFRPG and the Themes extension.

So, I've come to the conclusion that something "interesting" has been done in the SFRPG in order to "create it." This would explain why it isn't reacting the way the other icons are in this Theme Extension. Maybe the SFRPG developer could comment?

superteddy57
September 28th, 2020, 04:43
The image for the Ship CT is located in graphics/sidebar/button_shipct.png.

Tuleen Donai
September 28th, 2020, 14:57
Hmm ...

In SFRPG? SFRPG/graphics/sidebar/button_shipct.png? It's not there.

It's also not in CoreRPG.

Am I looking in the wrong place?

Additional: I did a grep for any references in *.xml and *.lua for button_shipct.png in SFRPG. There were none. ???

Addendum: On Faith, I added a button (that I created the graphic for - green starship) to graphics_icons.xml in the this Themes extension called button_shipct, and it effectively replaced the icon for the Ship CT in the Right Corner of the screen. Clearly this DOES exist somewhere, because FGU is referencing/using it. However, this didn't change the fact that this sidebar button is not being handled the same way as the other sidebar buttons.

But progress has been made!

bmos
September 28th, 2020, 15:23
In SFRPG? SFRPG/graphics/sidebar/button_shipct.png? It's not there.It's there for me as well and is loaded on lines 265-266 in graphics_icons.xml.
You should re-download SFRPG.pak and re-extract it, as this seems to be an issue with your copy. There is nothing different about how that graphic is being handled.

Tuleen Donai
September 28th, 2020, 16:44
OK! Will do! Weird though!

Additional: Not so weird. I took the SFRPG.pak out of my FGU install location, and didn't realize that they were being updated to my AppData folder in my personal "Windows" space.

Why do the rulesets live in the FGU Installation location, if they are not going to ever get updated there???

I started with FGU in April of this year, and the SFRPG.pak version was from then. Have they decided to move these OUT of the installation folder and into the User's folder now? Maybe that was changed, and my "installation" is sort-of Out-of-Date?

bmos
September 28th, 2020, 16:58
OK! Will do! Weird though!I've certainly moved files out the ruleset .pak files when I was getting into development without realizing it.
Often it's not obvious for quite a while. It wouldn't explain why the button image is still showing up in the program though.

Tuleen Donai
September 28th, 2020, 17:24
I've certainly moved files out the ruleset .pak files when I was getting into development without realizing it.
Often it's not obvious for quite a while. It wouldn't explain why the button image is still showing up in the program though.

But, at least I have a fresh set of code to go looking for why it's orphaned over to the Right side! Continuing my search ....

Samarex
September 29th, 2020, 00:04
You can configure your FGU App Dir and Data Dir using Setup then go to the Advanced Tab.

bmos
September 29th, 2020, 00:16
But, at least I have a fresh set of code to go looking for why it's orphaned over to the Right side! Continuing my search ....It looks like this theme was released before starship combat and doesn't include any positioning data for that button (so it appears in the usual position).
if you open up the ext file and find graphics/graphics_icons.xml you can add:

<icon name="button_shipct" file="graphics/icons/button_shipct.png" />
<icon name="button_shipct_down" file="graphics/icons/button_shipct_down.png" />
between

<icon name="button_ct_down" file="graphics/icons/button_ct_down.png" />
and

<icon name="button_partysheet" file="graphics/icons/button_partysheet.png" />

this will get rid of the extra button but doesn't include a replacement (so you have to get to starship combat tracker by opening regular combat tracker and clicking the starship).

I used photoshop to change the "starships" button from blue to green and added it back in with the correct name, but it still doesn't show up (not sure why). At least it isn't floating over on the right anymore!

superteddy57
September 29th, 2020, 01:19
Yes, I implemented ship combat, and the button after this extension was created. It went LIVE around January.

Tuleen Donai
September 29th, 2020, 17:34
...this will get rid of the extra button but doesn't include a replacement (so you have to get to starship combat tracker by opening regular combat tracker and clicking the starship).

I used photoshop to change the "starships" button from blue to green and added it back in with the correct name, but it still doesn't show up (not sure why). At least it isn't floating over on the right anymore!

I just tried this extension, and on my system (FGU,) the button is still there orphaned on the right-hand side!

Updating to see if anything in the Ruleset, or otherwise, has changed.

Update: Nope! Still there. (I've been battling this little guy for days now. It appears that there is a separate window(_class?) created for THIS particular Icon. I know that is inserted into the Stack special, because of THIS code in data_desktop_SFRPG.lua (using regsiterStackShortcut2 instead of registerStackShorcut.) However, I think this has NOTHING to do with the graphics.

if User.isHost() then
DesktopManager.registerStackShortcut2("button_shipct", "button_shipct_down", "sidebar_tooltip_shipct", "ct_ship_combat","combattracker");
else
DesktopManager.registerStackShortcut2("button_shipct", "button_shipct_down", "sidebar_tooltip_shipct", "shipcombattracker_client","combattracker");
end

Maybe superteddy57, you could enlighten us on any graphic changes (panels, frames, icons, windows) that you made to implement this button?

bmos
September 29th, 2020, 17:40
I just tried this extension, and on my system (FGU,) the button is still there orphaned on the right-hand side!

Updating to see if anything in the Ruleset, or otherwise, has changed.Yes, it does seem to ignore this workaround in Unity. That being said, the theme seems to have much bigger issues in Unity (the buttons are all in a jumble on top of each other).

Tuleen Donai
September 29th, 2020, 17:49
Only initially. If you click the "red" area, it will bring up the library, and then click on Create PC or something, and they straighten out decently.

I think there is an initialization problem (or lack thereof) with this extension too. But, battling the Shipct button first.

superteddy57
September 29th, 2020, 18:28
DesktopManager.registerStackShortcut2 is basically just that, a register to add the Ship CT button to the top stack when it runs through and creates those buttons under normal situations. There isn't any special code I used to get it added to the top stack. I used a function from the DesktopManager (something housed in CoreRPG) that helps create additional buttons. I'm not sure how this extension works, but what I would suggest is killing my register and then simply creating a new button with the parameters from the register to allow the button to work as any other sidebar button would work. This is how I would approach this fix, if I were the developer of the extension.

Tuleen Donai
September 29th, 2020, 19:00
DesktopManager.registerStackShortcut2 is basically just that ....

Hey! Thanks for the insight! I had started coming to that conclusion myself. I actually went into the SFRPG ruleset, and commented out this code, just to see how the system would react. The button disappeared as expected, and there was no longer an empty slot over in the stack attached to the chat window, however ...

An interesting observation is that the original "window" for the Stack and Shortcut buttons IS STILL there! Albeit, resized to the width of the newly redefined buttons. I think that if I can eliminate that window all together, perhaps when I put back the ShipCt button (register,) it will magically show up where it's supposed to! A bit of a long shot, I know.

Tuleen Donai
September 29th, 2020, 23:59
Shouldn't this de-register it?

DesktopManager.removeStackShortcut("combattracker");

It didn't have ANY affect?

superteddy57
September 30th, 2020, 01:44
function onInit()
for k,v in pairs(aDataModuleSet) do
for _,v2 in ipairs(v) do
Desktop.addDataModuleSet(k, v2);
end
end

CharacterListManager.registerDropHandler("shortcut", onShortcutDropOverride);
end

Create a new data_desktop.lua, set it up as a global script and just input that code to have it not use the register. It will override the ruleset code.

Tuleen Donai
September 30th, 2020, 16:19
OK. So, please help me to understand. In his extension, he has a script that defines - init_desktop.lua:

function onInit()

DesktopManager.showDockTitleText(false);
DesktopManager.setStackIconSizeAndSpacing(28, 28, 0, 0);
DesktopManager.setDockIconSizeAndSpacing(28, 28, 0, 0);
DesktopManager.setUpperDockOffset(0, 0, 0, 0);
DesktopManager.setStackOffset(0, 0, 0, 0);
DesktopManager.setLowerDockOffset(1, 0, 0, 0);
DesktopManager.setMaxDockColumns(1);

end

Does this onInit() override the one in SFRPG ruleset - data_desktop_SFRPG.lua?

function onInit()
for k,v in pairs(aDataModuleSet) do
for _,v2 in ipairs(v) do
Desktop.addDataModuleSet(k, v2);
end
end
CharacterListManager.onShortcutDrop = onShortcutDropOverride;
CharacterListManager.registerDropHandler("shortcut", onShortcutDropOverride);

if User.isHost() then
DesktopManager.registerStackShortcut2("button_shipct", "button_shipct_down", "sidebar_tooltip_shipct", "ct_ship_combat","shipcombattracker", false);
else
DesktopManager.registerStackShortcut2("button_shipct", "button_shipct_down", "sidebar_tooltip_shipct", "shipcombattracker_client","shipcombattracker", false);
end

end

Because the behavior would suggest that it does not. Also, I tried adding the code you suggested to his init_desktop.lua's onInit(), and it throws an error. Something about an invalid pair or something. Probably, something not defined in those for loops.

[9/30/2020 8:31:45 AM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Script execution error: [string "scripts/init_desktop.lua"]:13: bad argument #1 to 'pairs' (table expected, got nil)

I've actually tried a number of things trying to affect the Desktop and it's definition, like Modifying the SFRPG ruleset - specifically the onInit() and removing the DesktopManager.registerStackShortcut2 calls. This definitely made the Shipct icon comepletely disappear, but it DID NOT make the frame/window over on the right side that used to contain the Dock and Stack disappear - it's still there.

If I move the code to add Shipct to the Stack somewhere else (like into his extension in onInit() ), it just behaves EXACTLY the same way, and leaves the Shipct Icon over in the frame/window to the right.

-- "Dug in like an Alabama tick!"

So, my goal is to resolve these two things:

* Eliminate that frame/window to the right
* add in the Shipct button to the Stack, so that it moves with the other Stack Icons, like we'd expect.

Last Goal:
* Get the desktop to initialize properly, so that you DON'T have to go to the Library and click on a Stack selection to get the Icons to display correctly.

bmos
September 30th, 2020, 16:28
disregard, didn't work that well

Tuleen Donai
September 30th, 2020, 16:57
Have you changed the script name in extension.xml? If this isn't the same it will not override (not sure if this is the issue but it did get my icon to show up in Unity)

Really?! That's not what I would have expected, but I'm not an expert on XML and LUA. I would have expected the override would happen on symbol names and not file names. The same file in SFRPG ruleset is named data_desktop_SFRPG.lua - rather unique.

bmos
September 30th, 2020, 17:18
Really?! That's not what I would have expected, but I'm not an expert on XML and LUA. I would have expected the override would happen on symbol names and not file names. The same file in SFRPG ruleset is named data_desktop_SFRPG.lua - rather unique.I wasn't talking about the filename but the name it is given in extension.xml
That being said, it was a very marginal improvement which I assume is not the intended result!

superteddy57
September 30th, 2020, 17:24
I'm thinking a new DesktopManager function that overrides the list being created. Something similar to LibraryData.overrideRecordTypeInfo. When I first added the button, the only function that worked and provided me with the behavior to add the new ship CT was registerStackShortcut. I don't believe the DesktopManager ever intended for new stack buttons to be built after the fact. If it did, then I would need to find that proper behavior. In any case, something weird is happening as to create the space for the button, but still loads in the standard location.

Till that is able to be performed, you might get mileage by just cloning out and removing my registration code and just adding a button to open the shipct from the combat tracker as it was setup during testing. This would give you access to the ship ct, and bypass the hurdle that is here till a better solution is found.

Tuleen Donai
September 30th, 2020, 18:13
I'm thinking a new DesktopManager function that overrides the list being created. Something similar to LibraryData.overrideRecordTypeInfo. When I first added the button, the only function that worked and provided me with the behavior to add the new ship CT was registerStackShortcut. I don't believe the DesktopManager ever intended for new stack buttons to be built after the fact. If it did, then I would need to find that proper behavior. In any case, something weird is happening as to create the space for the button, but still loads in the standard location.

Ya, that's what I was suspected that may be the case.

Till that is able to be performed, you might get mileage by just cloning out and removing my registration code and just adding a button to open the shipct from the combat tracker as it was setup during testing. This would give you access to the ship ct, and bypass the hurdle that is here till a better solution is found.

Yes, When I eliminated the ShipCT Icon from the Stack, I had noticed that that in the Stardard CT, there was a new button to bring up the Ship CT. Works good!

I will probably keep messing with the whole desktop experience. I have learned A LOT about what works and doesn't work. Thank you for your insights and advice!

bmos
September 30th, 2020, 18:34
I got the ship ct button to appear in the right place and work :)
Just trying to get the empty bar on the right to go away now.

EDIT: I'm drawing a blank on that part, so here is what I have so far (it's probably overkill by bringing in CoreRPG stuff en-masse).
I have intentionally left the extension as zip because I don't consider this appropriate for an average user (since I really don't understand how much of this stuff works and wouldn't want to mess up anyone's live environment).

superteddy57
September 30th, 2020, 18:51
Very nice! Don't tease me, give the details. :)

bmos
September 30th, 2020, 18:54
Basically, I overwrite data_desktop.lua with the CoreRPG version (setting the same name in extension.xml so that the original one would be ignored) and added the shipct button there (Initially I tried adding it to the array used in CoreRPG but it wasn't accessible -- probably was too late anyway).
Then I had to bring in data_desktop_SFRPG.lua to remove your method of adding the buttons.

superteddy57
September 30th, 2020, 18:57
I was thinking that would do the trick. I think I might tinker with it for a bit this afternoon now since you have peaked my interest in getting this to work.

Tuleen Donai
September 30th, 2020, 22:52
Hey!! Congratulations! That worked for me as well!! Well Done!!

bmos
September 30th, 2020, 23:04
Hey!! Congratulations! That worked for me as well!! Well Done!!It's still a little hacked together, but thanks :)
Hopefully someone figures out the empty bar and jumbled icons workaround!

Tuleen Donai
October 1st, 2020, 03:22
You got me unstuck! The empty bar is not really an annoyance to me. Is it to you?

However, the jumbled icon - yes. I'll see what I can do there.

Tuleen Donai
October 1st, 2020, 03:40
This is more a SFRPG ruleset question, but because we are writing code to potentially affect the operation of the Ship CT, I will ask.

With the normal Combat Tracker, there are two versions: combattracker_host and combattracker_client. I think this is due to the GM's combat tracker needing to show things that he doesn't want the players necessarily seeing.

Near as I can see, there is only one Ship Combat Tracker. Do we need one for the host(GM) and one for the client(Players?) I'm not familiar enough with Ship Combat in SF to know.

Evolivolution
October 1st, 2020, 11:33
This is more a SFRPG ruleset question, but because we are writing code to potentially affect the operation of the Ship CT, I will ask.

With the normal Combat Tracker, there are two versions: combattracker_host and combattracker_client. I think this is due to the GM's combat tracker needing to show things that he doesn't want the players necessarily seeing.

Near as I can see, there is only one Ship Combat Tracker. Do we need one for the host(GM) and one for the client(Players?) I'm not familiar enough with Ship Combat in SF to know.

In my opinion you would need 2 for starship combat as well, but as afar as I know (from playtesting) currently there is just the one.

bmos
October 1st, 2020, 11:48
Connected players get a ship combat tracker that looks like this:

GM ship combat tracker looks like this

I'm not sure where the code to handle that difference is, but there certainly is a difference (to keep players from changing things like round and phase).

Tuleen Donai
October 1st, 2020, 14:37

I'm not sure where the code to handle that difference is, but there certainly is a difference (to keep players from changing things).

Must be there though!

It looks like he added a button for "Show all NPCs" that isn't there for the players. That works!!

Ulric
October 1st, 2020, 15:34
So how do you change the images to non transparent. Mostly annoying on the Battle Maps.. If someone can share the steps that would be appreciated.

Extract the extension and open the PNG image in a graphics program that will allow you to export/save a JPG image. This will prevent the image from being transparent. Make a backup before you make the changes incase you screw it up.

superteddy57
October 1st, 2020, 16:26

I'm not sure where the code to handle that difference is, but there certainly is a difference (to keep players from changing things like round and phase).

Must be there though!

It looks like he added a button for "Show all NPCs" that isn't there for the players. That works!!

Both are located in their respective files as they both share the parent combattracker to gain some of it's functionality. ct_host.xml holds the GM ship ct and ct_client.xml holds the Player ship ct. The follow the same methodology of the original CT to separate data that the players don't need to know. Plus keeps ships hidden that don't need to be displayed. Many of this is located within the ruleset code and can be seen by unpacking it and searching through the code.

Tuleen Donai
October 1st, 2020, 16:43
OK. Here's my latest iteration. It brings up the appropriate Ship_ct depending on mode. (I tested it with 2 instances, one GM, one client connected via localhost.)

Also, I happened to prefer the Ship_ct to be first in the list, so I moved it here. I also used a different button_shipct image than BMOS, BUT! I included his as button_shipct_alt.

I made a first attempt at getting the stack to initialize w/out going to the library. I copied manage_desktop.lua from the CoreRPG and included it as BMOS did data_desktop_SFRPG.lua to override the original definitions, however, it had an unexpected affect, when it should have had NO affect (No changes.) It changed the initial stack so "Boon" was at the bottom and prevented you from getting to the library. Weird!

extension.xml

<script name="DesktopInit" file="scripts/init_desktop.lua" />
<script name="Desktop" file="scripts/data_desktop.lua" />
<script name="DesktopSFRPG" file="scripts/data_desktop_SFRPG.lua" />
<script name="DesktopManager" file="scripts/manager_desktop.lua" />

Tuleen Donai
October 1st, 2020, 16:52
I hate order dependencies, however ...

I moved the manager_desktop.lua to be the 1st script loaded, and it resolved the issue --> Library ends up on top and you can reset the list.

<script name="DesktopManager" file="scripts/manager_desktop.lua" />
<script name="DesktopInit" file="scripts/init_desktop.lua" />
<script name="Desktop" file="scripts/data_desktop.lua" />
<script name="DesktopSFRPG" file="scripts/data_desktop_SFRPG.lua" />

On to trying to address the initialization issue.

bmos
October 1st, 2020, 17:03
My button was just the easiest thing I could think of :)
I didn't like that it was pretty much the same as another button that was used lower down, no hard feelings :)

Tuleen Donai
October 2nd, 2020, 00:10
So, I was able to get rid of that pesky window, but I pissed off FGU:

[10/1/2020 3:45:26 PM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Attempt to instantiate missing window class ()
[10/1/2020 3:45:26 PM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Attempt to instantiate missing window class ()
[10/1/2020 3:45:26 PM] [WARNING] template: Could not find template (chat_resize) in class (chat)
[10/1/2020 3:45:26 PM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] desktop: Panel (identitylist) anchoring to uninitialized target panel (shortcutsanchor)

I did it by trying to eliminate the Shortcutsanchor and Shortcuts panels. So, window gone, but FGU is still trying to anchor to an uninitialized target panel.

desk_panels.xml

<panel name="shortcutsanchor" />

<panel name="shortcuts" />

<panel name="chat" modes="host,client,local">
<class>chat</class>
<bounds>0,90,425,-130</bounds>
<dynamic />
<locked />
</panel>

It seems since the Shorcuts are now a <subwindow> in the Chat Windowclass, that these would no longer be necessary.

bmos
October 2nd, 2020, 02:13
Try this, it doesn't have the bar behind the icons but I think it's a step in the direction you're trying to go.

Tuleen Donai
October 2nd, 2020, 19:48
I actually took some of the things you did and tried a couple more things. I got to where it looks as before - which is good (except for Initialization,) but I have this lingering error. Which is VERY non-descript:

[10/2/2020 9:57:34 AM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Attempt to instantiate missing window class ()

I'm not sure how to follow up with this, as FGU is not really telling what it's trying to instantiate!!!

bmos
October 2nd, 2020, 19:52
I actually took some of the things you did and tried a couple more things. I got to where it looks as before - which is good (except for Initialization,) but I have this lingering error. Which is VERY non-descript:

[10/2/2020 9:57:34 AM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Attempt to instantiate missing window class ()

I'm not sure how to follow up with this, as FGU is not really telling what it's trying to instantiate!!!Search the files for "color="red""

Regarding re-initializing it to not require "all" to be clicked, I think the code that needs to be executed is:

for _,w in ipairs(window.recordlist.getWindows()) do
w.synchState();
end

The issue I was having is that this code needs to be executed within the context of the windowclass "library" and I couldn't figure out how to do that (I was playing with it for around an hour last night).

That code normally exists in CoreRPG template_utility.xml

Tuleen Donai
October 2nd, 2020, 20:15
Search the files for "color="red""

That just the error message in the log. When it's displayed in FGU, the word ERROR is red.

bmos
October 2nd, 2020, 20:18
That just the error message in the log. When it's displayed in FGU, the word ERROR is red.Oh! Thanks for clarifying :D
Post your current ext?

Tuleen Donai
October 3rd, 2020, 02:46
Well, after wrestling and wrestling with manager_desktop.lua, desktop_panels.xml and desktop_classes.xml, I chose to go your route. I tweaked the chatbox.png frame to pretty it up, but I STILL cannot fix that initialization problem. Frustrating.

I even tried setting things in the manager_desktop.lua to first initialize to what we wanted, but it STILL left the Library Icon Huge and everything stacked on top of itself. Click the Library and reset the Icons, et voila.

Here is it in its current state - I believe very useable - not perfect - but useable.

Tuleen Donai
October 5th, 2020, 01:31
So ... on this initialization issue. If I create/define the window "Shortcuts" as it always has been (not inside the Chat Window,) with the definitions for a small stacked Icon bar that we want, and I add in the code in the <script> portion for registering the window, then it shows up, properly initialized on the right-hand side of the game window. It is fully functional, and updated when you reconfigure it with the Library. (chatshortcuts is defined but not intialized/regsitered.)

If I remove the <script> portion for registering the window, and add the same <script> to "chatshortcuts," a sub-window to "Chat" in a space to the left of said window, it WILL NOT initialize properly. The icons look stacked on top of one another, and fortunately, the Library Icon control miraculously ends up on top. If you open the library and reconfigure the bar, then it re-initializes properly, and is functional from that point on.

The change between the two is VERY easy in desktop_classes.xml.

Shortcut bar to the right (not in the chat: )

<windowclass name="chatshortcuts">
<script />
<sheetdata>
<anchored position="insideright" width="30" />
<class>shortcutbar</class>
<activate />
<fastinit />
</subwindow>
</sheetdata>
</windowclass>

<windowclass name="shortcuts">
<script>
function onInit()
DesktopManager.registerContainerWindow(self);
end
</script>
<sheetdata>
<activate />
<fastinit />
</subwindow>
</sheetdata>
</windowclass>

Shortcut bar is now contained in the Chat window to the left:

<windowclass name="chatshortcuts">
<script>
function onInit()
DesktopManager.registerContainerWindow(self);
end
</script>
<sheetdata>
<activate />
<fastinit />
</subwindow>
</sheetdata>
</windowclass>

<windowclass name="shortcuts">
<script />
<sheetdata>
<activate />
<fastinit />
</subwindow>
</sheetdata>
</windowclass>

It sure seems like one option could be to allow the shortcut bar to live on the right side, and using a control button, move it to the chat window, back and forth. However, I don't think I have enough control of the "shortcutbar" window to do this. It seems it is controlled by the application and not these config files (.xml and .lua)

bmos
October 5th, 2020, 12:04
It seems it is controlled by the application and not these config files (.xml and .lua)While it is possible, I don't buy it.
I think CoreRPG is bringing a lot of baggage we don't understand :)
I often end up thinking things like that when I am developing and I have always found myself to be wrong and just missing some crucial piece of the puzzle.

I would guess that the issue is that the "self" passed by chatshortcuts is different than the "self" that is passed by shortcuts in a way that matters.

Tuleen Donai
October 5th, 2020, 15:07
While it is possible, I don't buy it.
I think CoreRPG is bringing a lot of baggage we don't understand :)
I often end up thinking things like that when I am developing and I have always found myself to be wrong and just missing some crucial piece of the puzzle.

I hope your right! Hopefully, someone can suggest something. I've been over the CoreRPG code very thoroughly. I even tested this extenstion (with some labeling mods) with CoreRPG alone to eliminate any other potential (SFRPG) issues. Same exact behavior.

I would guess that the issue is that the "self" passed by chatshortcuts is different than the "self" that is passed by shortcuts in a way that matters.

However, it doesn't matter if I name that window "chatshortcuts" or leave it as it was originally "shortcuts" - same exact behavior.

The OTHER interesting tid-bit is, if you rename the window "shortcutbar" to ANYTHING else (like testshortcutbar," you lose functionality in BOTH cases. There is no other object or reference to an object called "shortcutsbar" in CoreRPG, except for desktop_classes.xml. There is a reference to a symbol name "shortcuts" in manger_desktop.lua with m_wShortcuts.shortcutbar.subwindow.createControl, but nothing else.

A window named "shortcutbar" is necessary to hook into the functionality within the application.

I think that this is perhaps a case of timing. Having the "shortcutbar" independent, results in it initializing properly (for a yet unknown reason,) and attaching said "shortcutbar" to the "chat" window, causes the icons to be displayed in an old large scale, and stack them on top of each other, as if there were no spacing specified. Ya, weird.

Tuleen Donai
October 5th, 2020, 23:16
OK. I finally found it. You were correct, and it had nothing to do with the application or the Ruleset, but in the way the windows were defined in desktop_classes.xml. It had to do with the <fastinit/ > entry for the subwindows. There are two, on instantiating the "chatshortcuts" window inside the "chat" windowclass, and the second with the instantiation of the subwindow "shortcutbar" into the "chatshortcuts" windowclass. It turns out, you need to remove it from the 1st instantiation, and leave it there for the 2nd, then the initialization problem goes away.

Here is the fixed extension, with all of the extraneous changes removed.

Changes necessary
1. Addition/Replacement of data_desktop_SFRPG.lua to remove the calls to add the button_Shipct to the shortcut stack.
2. Addition/Replacement of data_desktop.lua from CoreRPG in order add the button_Shipct to all the initializers with respect to modes for the shortcut stack.
3. Fixing of desktop_classes to "remove" original shortcutsbar definition (BMOS's suggested line --> '<windowclass name="shortcuts" join="remove" />') and removing <fastinit /> from "shortcuts" subwindow in "chat" window class.
4. Addition of button_shipct.png files to graphics/icons folder.

Change made, but not necessary: I changed the name of the shortcuts window in the "chat" window class to chatshortcuts. (Oh! And, I added button_assets.pngs too! I do not prefer the original SFRPG buttons.)

WHEW!

bmos
October 6th, 2020, 00:22
Here is the fixed extension, with all of the extraneous changes removed.Nice work!

Evolivolution
October 6th, 2020, 00:28
I just tried it too, looks very nice. Good job. I don't know how much work it would be but is it possible to fix the "Bars" version as well?

Tuleen Donai
October 6th, 2020, 05:02
Team effort!!

Sure! I’m off this week and I’ll give it some attention.

How's this???

msbranin
October 18th, 2020, 01:48
Just tried it out again looking good but in the bars version, the tokens bar is using the standard image of the goblin from the base theme.

Tuleen Donai
October 18th, 2020, 16:57
... the tokens bar is using the standard image of the goblin from the base theme.

That's weird! Mine isn't. Let me double-check. Maybe I posted an early version.

Additional:

I didn't realize there were two definitions - 1) Token Case and 2) Assets.

You probably need to run an update of FGU, specifically, the SFRPG ruleset, because there is no TOKENS bar/button anymore. They changed it to ASSETS.

(If you are trying to use this on FG Classic. I wasn't working with FG Classic, as I don't have a license.)

In the meantime, try this one. I added an override for the button called button_tokencase.

Tuleen Donai
October 18th, 2020, 18:37
I found some issues with these two themes interfering with some recent changes to the SFRPG ruleset. Now that the "cosmetic" issues are resolved, I will focus on repairing the "interference" that seems to be occurring with changes to the SFRPG rulset.

Stay Tuned!

Evolivolution
October 18th, 2020, 18:52
Hey Tuleen, thank you for all the work on this extension. It is working fine for me right now. Maybe I didn't notice something because I'm focused on the changes of the ruleset, I'll keep an eye out.

Tuleen Donai
October 18th, 2020, 19:13
The previous changes I made that overrode some things in the CoreRPG rulset and the SFRPG rulset are no longer needed. Yea! (I didn't like that I had to override rulset code.)

It turns out now, that the original Extensions published by Steve Busa may now work properly. The Asset/Token Case buttons may not be replaced, and original SF Theme Goblin buttons may still be there, and the Ship_Ct buttons not added or replaced. Someone will just have to try those (maybe I will too,) and see how they behave, but I know these work.

Now, here are the fixed/tweaked extensions, with all of the extraneous changes removed. Just changes to buttons and graphics.

Changes necessary
1. Fixing of desktop_classes to "remove" original shortcutsbar definition (BMOS's suggested line --> '<windowclass name="shortcuts" join="remove" />') and removing <fastinit /> from "shortcuts" subwindow in "chat" window class.
2. Addition of button_shipct.png files to graphics/icons folder.
3. Changes made, but not necessary: I changed the name of the shortcuts window in the "chat" window class to chatshortcuts. (Oh! And, I added button_assets.pngs too! I do not prefer the original SFRPG buttons.)

Rame1998
October 20th, 2020, 11:09
It's really cool what you create. It takes a lot of effort and time. Personally like the Gobbo theme:)

Tuleen Donai
October 20th, 2020, 17:55
I just fixed what was already there.

msbranin
November 8th, 2020, 03:50
So Everything looks great But the 2 bottom red buttons are not anchored to the bottom so when you resize the drag the chat window up the Assets and library buttons disappear.

Tuleen Donai
February 8th, 2021, 23:43
Hey, I just saw this, and I tried it with both Theme_Icons_Starfinder.ext extension and the Theme_Bars_Starfinder.ext extension - and this seemed to work for me.

Unlocked the window position. Moved the window around, resized the window. The Assets and Library Buttons moved and adjusted as expected.

V4.0.9 ULTIMATE (2021-01-26)

msbranin
February 9th, 2021, 01:54
Yes it long ago started working again... I had an HD crash and had to reinstall everything fresh and has worked ever since.

rdwulfe
February 20th, 2021, 19:31
Anyone know if the author is still active and this might be updated? I love the icons for this, rather than the space consuming buttons the default provides. I also love how it puts everything on the left, but recent updates have broken it.

msbranin
February 21st, 2021, 04:15
Until the author gets back to us, I have modified the extension so that it works with the current version of SFRPG.

I have added the speaker combo box to the chat tab. I also edited the story tab so that its non transparent and white to make the font actually readable. I changed the background to a single color. if you do not like the blue you can edit the default background to whatever you want. the instructions for that are in this thread. Also if you want an image just go to the settings and set a decal image there. The speaker combo box image is the default image as I have not figured out where the author set his custom image for the languages. For now this at least gets it working again, but the extension really needs an overhaul.

madman
February 21st, 2021, 11:31
Thanks for getting this working again. I know the author was moving cross country months ago (during all this worldwide blah) He was ok with me sharing the version of it I made for the Pathfinder 2 ruleset.

Looks great, Thanks again

Madman..

swbuza
February 21st, 2021, 14:44
I haven't looked at this at all in two years I think, and probably won't get anytime to work on this soon. I'm hoping the community can pick it up and work it. Everyone interested, feel free to edit it up and make it better, as I just don't have the time for this now. FWIW, I used the JetA Logo Creator to make the icons in case new ones need to be made; and its possible I have some of the original PSD files hanging around if someone wants me to look.

swbuza
February 21st, 2021, 14:56
Found this note amidst a bunch of files: "Buttons were originally created with JetA logo creator. I used a rectangle from the Basic Shapes, added a Glow with style Arc 1 for an up button. I used Arc 2 for the down button and reduced the opacity. Green utility button icons came from JetA. Text was added to bar buttons with Photoshop."

Tuleen Donai
February 21st, 2021, 15:58
I just updated and ran these and yep, they broke. I'm going to look into the changes msbrain made and see about incorporating for both extensions.

Now I see what's going on. I guess I've been a bit out-of-touch. It seems that the whole CoreRPG ruleset was changed to eliminate graphical buttons, and only use textual buttons?

This is a bit unfortunate, because, as the Theme_Bars_Starfinder.ext extension is easily tweaked to accomodate these changes (they were graphical versions of textual buttons anyway,) I'm not sure what to do with the Theme_Icons_Starfinder.ext. Without the ability to use graphical buttons, this extention is "impossible?" It was my favorite too.

Thoughts?

msbranin
February 21st, 2021, 17:11
Yep.. that is why I was saying it would need an overhaul. I added in the speaker roll over but the addon as a whole needs retooled to be inline with the SFRPG extension's changes.

Tuleen Donai
February 21st, 2021, 19:05
I just waded through all the discussions about the 2021-02 Rulset updates in the Laboratory, and it seems the topic of a graphical sidebar has been hotly debated - affected several Rulesets and Extensions. Unless something changes, I think we all have to live with the Theme_Bars_Starfinder.ext for now.

I will look at updating my latest changes (based on what msbranin's work) and release a new Theme_Bars_Starfinder.ext with just the necessary changes.

msbranin
February 21st, 2021, 22:50
I just updated it a bit more.. Here is what it looks like.. Gave it a black background and got rid of the transparent windows and fixed the speaker window to match to match the theme. Let me know if you like this or not.

and here the the current extension I am working on.

Tuleen Donai
February 21st, 2021, 23:27
OK. So, I also do not prefer the transparent windows either, because with the background, it can make the information in the box pretty hard to read. I went through and replaced most of the frames with the default ones from SFRPG. There was also some wierd graphical interaction with the new SideBar dialog box with this extension, and I fixed that as well.

I kept the original desktop background (I kind of like it.)

If someone would like the transparent windows back, I can create a Theme_Bars_Starfinder_Tp.ext with windows that are transparent.

Tuleen Donai
February 21st, 2021, 23:50
I just updated it a bit more.. Here is what it looks like.. Gave it a black background and got rid of the transparent windows and fixed the speaker window to match to match the theme. Let me know if you like this or not.

Looks like you are pretty much in the same place as I. Did you notice that the Characters window has an issue w/ horizontal resizing? Mine too.

What did you change to get the text font bigger/different, and the titles in Red? It's not part of the extension.

msbranin
February 22nd, 2021, 00:37
Yep I noticed that and I am using Montserrat Font - big font. It looks best of all the fonts I have tried.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?48384-Montserrat-Font-Extension

Just look down in the thread for the Big version.

Tuleen Donai
February 22nd, 2021, 00:39
The character selection window has a bug in horizonatal resizing in the new SFRPG rulset. I reported it. I'm sure this will be fixed soon.

Tuleen Donai
February 22nd, 2021, 00:45
Yep I noticed that and I am using Montserrat Font - big font. It looks best of all the fonts I have tried.

Ya! This font extention looks great!

swbuza
March 9th, 2021, 12:32
I love that this has become a community extension. I've done some updates to my version 2021-03-10. Bars only. Maybe I'll do icons again sometime. Thanks to everyone who maintained this while I was lost in space...

Tuleen Donai
March 9th, 2021, 21:36
Looks good!!!

Ulric
March 9th, 2021, 23:20
I love that this has become a community extension. I've done some updates to my version to 2.0. Bars only. Maybe I'll do icons again sometime. Thanks to everyone who maintained this while I was lost in space...
Thank you!

madman
March 10th, 2021, 11:50
@swbuza. Glad you're back. Welcome back.

Like the new buttons. BTW

Madman..

msbranin
March 11th, 2021, 18:13
I always preferred the blue buttons over the red.

Minethulhu
November 1st, 2021, 05:45
Will this extension be migrated to the forge?