PDA

View Full Version : D3 Rolling Imagery

Blackfoot
April 9th, 2019, 16:39
I'm sure this has been discussed before but I couldn't find it with my lousy search-fu.

Is there a way to set up a D3 to roll as a D3 instead of a D6 in the chat? I know FATE uses special dice that have different images on the sides... is there a way to have the D3 only have 1s, 2s, and 3s on them?

I vaguely recall reading something about the fudge die being created specially for FATE somehow .. but the D3 is kinda universal...
When I set the model to d3 it rolls a d20 so that doesn't solve it. :)
I looked at the FATE code and there isn't a lot there that would mess with the die roll display.

I guess if this is a lower level thing than I can tweak I can put it on the wishlist.
Seems like it 'should' be relatively simple to add, since all the graphics exist already it's just a matter of duping in the 1/2/3 graphics for the 4/5/6 values during the roll.. but I could be wrong.. since I have no idea how the die rolling is actually being done.

Valarian
April 9th, 2019, 18:03
You could look at the Star Wars, Warhammer, and The One Ring rulesets for die re-skins. Unfortunately, there's not a way to remove the numbers from the rolled dice without it affecting the existing dice. You'd have to provide skins for the existing dice numbers as well to keep supporting those.

The easiest way to support the d3 is to use the d6 model and divide the result by 2 (rounded up).

Blackfoot
April 9th, 2019, 21:32
To be clear.. I'm not talking about the 'results', that works fine. I'm talking about the actual rolls, which in most rulesets do as you say, roll a d6 and divide to obtain the result. I am suggesting changing the ROLL graphics to work like the FUDGE die (or any other die for that matter) where the rolling die shows only the values that are actually being rolled.

Looking at FATE and Star Wars.. FATE uses this 'fudge' die and seems to have very little code to handle the graphics in a special way.. so I'm guessing this die is 'built in' to FG.. Star Wars has some nice graphics for handling 'results' but the actual rolls roll normal dice with numbers on them.

I haven't looked at the other rulesets you comment on recently... so I can't say what they do or how they do it.. but I will check them out if one of them actually does what I'm looking for. Honestly, as I said before.. this kinda seems like an easy thing that FG should be doing already in rulesets like 5E or PF.. I know the d3 is used in PF... I'm fairly sure it's probably used in 5E as well.. but then .. maybe it's not as simple as all that.

Bidmaron
April 9th, 2019, 22:46
With FGC you cannot reskin 3d dice only the result graphics.

damned
April 9th, 2019, 22:53
To be clear.. I'm not talking about the 'results', that works fine. I'm talking about the actual rolls, which in most rulesets do as you say, roll a d6 and divide to obtain the result. I am suggesting changing the ROLL graphics to work like the FUDGE die (or any other die for that matter) where the rolling die shows only the values that are actually being rolled.

Looking at FATE and Star Wars.. FATE uses this 'fudge' die and seems to have very little code to handle the graphics in a special way.. so I'm guessing this die is 'built in' to FG.. Star Wars has some nice graphics for handling 'results' but the actual rolls roll normal dice with numbers on them.

I haven't looked at the other rulesets you comment on recently... so I can't say what they do or how they do it.. but I will check them out if one of them actually does what I'm looking for. Honestly, as I said before.. this kinda seems like an easy thing that FG should be doing already in rulesets like 5E or PF.. I know the d3 is used in PF... I'm fairly sure it's probably used in 5E as well.. but then .. maybe it's not as simple as all that.

Not in FGC. We believe that you will be able ti skin dice in FGU (sooner or later).