PDA

View Full Version : Question about chat system

cliff
September 5th, 2006, 21:06
I've seen in other posts that we do not currently have the ability to have multiple chat channels so the party can be split up, but that the idea was well received and we are hoping to see it in the future.

I have read it is possible to silence your players, is it also possible to make it so they don't get chat? This would at least be the equivelent of making the players leave the room in the real world.

Actually, I suspect they'd still see map updates and such as well, so maybe that wouldn't work.

Unfortunately, at the table it's incredibly common for my players to split up to accomplish their goals.

richvalle
September 5th, 2006, 22:14
You can have only one/a few people on a map at a time and not share it with the whole group. Instead of doing a 'share all' drag the map to the person/people you want to see it.

Chat is a bit harder. If you have things typed up before hand in chat blocks you can drag it to the people you want to get that text.

Going out on a limb here... I THINK: If you are winging it you can type up the text and then drag it to one of the hot keys. Then drag it from there to each person that you want to get that text. I'd keep the blocks fairly small.

Just an idea.

rv

cliff
September 5th, 2006, 22:59
Ah, cool about the maps. Haven't had much opportunity to dig in very deep yet, so hadn't caught on to that yet.

In any case, I'm sure we'll figure out how to make do. heh.

PeSt
September 11th, 2006, 15:57
We use Skype and the conference owner can take people in and out of the conference as needed. (we used the 10-way version since we are 5 players + DM). Additionally we use IRC for break-out groups. Would be a nice enhancement if we could get multiple chat channels and the DM can move people around.

PeSt

richvalle
September 11th, 2006, 16:06
PeSt,

Is that the Skype version that you have to have the dual core processor for?

PeSt
September 12th, 2006, 23:30
No. We don't have dual core CPUs. It's a patched version that allows 10 participants in a call.

Not entirely sure how legal it is, but it works for us, if you don't need all the bells and whistles of the newer versions of Skype. It's a rather well known thing, it was all over the major netsites. Google for Maxxuss to read more about it.

So hopefully I don't do anything wrong revealing the filename, so if you want to google for the program you can find it. It's called skype-2.0.0.90-maxxuss-patch_v2.zip ... Please note, it's an old version of Skype, and only the one starting the call needs this version. Everyone else can use the latest version.

PeSt