PDA

View Full Version : Omg kickstarter stream was awesome

gaara6666
April 5th, 2019, 18:16
I am so happy with the Kickstarter pricing. $60 for a pre2018 purchase to get ultimate or $29.95 for my players to get standard FGU licenses from the kickstarter. Thank you so much for the very informative stream!

JohnD
April 5th, 2019, 18:19
Yeah, the pricing levels Doug mentioned seem very reasonable.

gaara6666
April 5th, 2019, 18:27
the rookie, newcomers, and veteran pricing was way more generous than I thought. The feature set, the preview tease with testbear. It was a great stream and they had up to 324 people at one point. Instant first day kickstart for me. Not to mention a release date for december....OF THIS FREAKING YEAR 2019

LordEntrails
April 5th, 2019, 18:51
So is someone able to summaries the facts that Doug gave?

Ampersandrew
April 5th, 2019, 19:14
Yes, I can summarise. Fantasy Grounds Unity will be awesome :D

Moon Wizard
April 5th, 2019, 19:54
We’ll be posting a new thread with the Q&A next week.

JPG

CrawlingChaox
April 5th, 2019, 19:58
As usual, after watching the stream I feel that SmiteWorks is treatin' me right. Great company with great direction.

Kelrugem
April 5th, 2019, 20:21
We’ll be posting a new thread with the Q&A next week.

JPG

Thank you :)

ddavison
April 5th, 2019, 21:58
We will be posting the full transcript shortly. I do want to clarify one thing because evidently I didn't make that super clear based on a few questions I got later.

There will still be Standard, Ultimate and Demo

Post-Kickstarter Pricing
Standard $39
Ultimate $149

Kickstarter Pricing
All Kickstarter backers gain access to Beta
Newcomer Standard: $35
Newcomer to Ultimate: $135

Rookie: Bought it in 2018-2019
FGC Ultimate to FGU Ultimate for $30
FGC Standard to FGU Standard for $15

Veteran: Bought it 2017 or prior
FGC Ultimate to FGU Ultimate for $60
FGC Standard to FGU Standard for $29

Monthly subscriptions:
There will be a separate monthly subscriptions. Same as today but FGU subscription or FGC subscription.

LordEntrails
April 5th, 2019, 22:19
The other part that I missed, and hope someone would clarify, is their was mention of an alpha and beta build. Was a timeline given for them? Or even a how long the KS would be open/running?

Moon Wizard
April 5th, 2019, 23:05
All of the timelines are still being worked out, and we tend to keep things internal until we're close anyways. When we do announce rough timelines, we'll add to the FAQ and let people know.

Regards,
JPG

Moranthus
April 5th, 2019, 23:27
If I have a standard license now - and have had it for some time... Can I upgrade to ultimate with the kickstarter and enjoy a savings? Not a big deal if not, just checking.

Salz78
April 5th, 2019, 23:40
If I have a standard license now - and have had it for some time... Can I upgrade to ultimate with the kickstarter and enjoy a savings? Not a big deal if not, just checking.

Yeah, I was wondering this myself!

seycyrus
April 6th, 2019, 00:01
We will be posting the full transcript shortly. ...

More things needed to throw money at!

YamaShintaku
April 6th, 2019, 00:17
Thanks so much for an AWESOME product and an even more AWESOME update!!! It was clear that backers will have beta access, what wasn't clear to me was:

1. Will demo players be able to utilize beta with an Unity Ultimate license GM?
2. What are the dates for Alpha and Beta releases?

Dr0W
April 6th, 2019, 00:35
Are those "upgrades" Kickstarter pricing only?

I mean, will there be a possibility to upgrade from FGC to FGU at a later time?

LordEntrails
April 6th, 2019, 00:36
2. What are the dates for Alpha and Beta releases?
See Moon's response when I asked :)

All of the timelines are still being worked out, and we tend to keep things internal until we're close anyways. When we do announce rough timelines, we'll add to the FAQ and let people know.

Zacchaeus
April 6th, 2019, 00:54
As I understand it you are ‘unpgrading’ on a like for like basis. So if you have a Standard Classic licence you ‘upgrade’ to an FGU standard licence.

damned
April 6th, 2019, 00:58

It doesnt look like there is.
You would upgrade now at standard pricing and then you would get the Rookie pricing to add FGU on top of that.
So you dont get a saving on the Standard -> Ultimate but you get the FGC to FGU upgrade for $30.

damned
April 6th, 2019, 00:59
Are those "upgrades" Kickstarter pricing only?

I mean, will there be a possibility to upgrade from FGC to FGU at a later time?

Im sure there will be something - but it wont be at these discounts.
And it might only be for users with less than 2 years for example...

Moranthus
April 6th, 2019, 01:08
I get it... But it's just a bit of a bummer. To have held a standard license since before Steam (I believe we called it full back then)... And your best option is to go for the 135 newcomer like a first time buyer... Since you'd be at 109 to upgrade and then 30 to get unlimited if you bought the upgrade now, in advance of the KS.

Not that I mind paying the 135 - I will... I've been using the product since it was released and don't mind supporting SmiteWorks... Just seems like something could be considered for long time standard holders that want to upgrade in support of the Unity release.

Ckorik
April 6th, 2019, 01:29
If anyone knows this (I didn't hear it asked in the stream) - if I upgrade my license and get beta access - will my players be able to get the 'demo' and join my game or will that wait until the full release?

Ampersandrew
April 6th, 2019, 03:59
If anyone knows this (I didn't hear it asked in the stream) - if I upgrade my license and get beta access - will my players be able to get the 'demo' and join my game or will that wait until the full release?

It wasn't mentioned specifically, but it would be fairly useless to have Beta access and no-one to play with.

rsqdivr
April 6th, 2019, 06:39
Doug mentioned an Orlando kickoff party. Is that open to anyone?

damned
April 6th, 2019, 06:45

I think it was for backers... who can get to Florida.

rsqdivr
April 6th, 2019, 07:09
I think it was for backers... who can get to Florida.

Awesome! I might be able to make that! :-D

Trenloe
April 6th, 2019, 07:13
I believe the party was only for a certain level of backer.

rsqdivr
April 6th, 2019, 07:19

I'll back it at whatever level it takes. I love what smiteworks has done with FG to date and will support it any way I can. :-D

Zacchaeus
April 6th, 2019, 10:28

And only for people who are actually allowed in to the States :)

Trenloe
April 6th, 2019, 12:56
I hate you!

;-)

Valyar
April 6th, 2019, 13:30
I am more exited on the announcement that they will expand the default dice rolls that are part of the CoreRPG ruleset.

Mortar
April 6th, 2019, 13:52

This might be an issue :bandit:

LordEntrails
April 6th, 2019, 15:29
This might be an issue :bandit:

Can't trust those Canadians, they're too friendly!

Mortar
April 6th, 2019, 16:10
Can't trust those Canadians, they're too friendly!

There are not the Canadians you're looking for...:ninja:

gqwebb
April 6th, 2019, 18:07
Best investment ever! Count on me for the kickstarter, I am so excited.

Varsuuk
April 6th, 2019, 20:04
I am nearly done watching the stream - for the LoS demo, is there a way to limit view to X' either for the party or individuals? So they use "torches" for 60' (I have no clue) etc vs "to infinity"?

Edit -- Lol, as I finished typing there was a question on distances so I guess that will be covered... too eager am I ;)

Ellspeth
April 6th, 2019, 21:21
Well this will be the second kickstarter I back in my slightly over 5 years of gaming. But since FG is the only way I game, it seems like a fantastic deal.

Griogre
April 6th, 2019, 21:34
The question I have, is I still have players with the player's version of FG. For the Kickstarter how will that work? Is there a path to update from player to standard?

LordEntrails
April 6th, 2019, 21:41
The question I have, is I still have players with the player's version of FG. For the Kickstarter how will that work? Is there a path to update from player to standard?
If you are are using and Ultimate license, players will not need a license, they will just need the demo. That doesn't change with FGU, when you start using FGU, your players will need to use FGU. There will not be client support across versions (i.e. FGC vs FGU).

Zacchaeus
April 6th, 2019, 21:55

Lite licenses were before my time but I found this in the FAQ (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/faq.php?faq=license_and_purchasing_issues#faq_rein stall_upgrade); this seems to suggest that Lite Licenses can be upgraded to standard. What won't be happening as far as I can tell is an upgrade path from say FG Standard to FG Unity Ultimate.

BnaaUK
April 6th, 2019, 22:38
Lite licenses were before my time but I found this in the FAQ (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/faq.php?faq=license_and_purchasing_issues#faq_rein stall_upgrade); this seems to suggest that Lite Licenses can be upgraded to standard. What won't be happening as far as I can tell is an upgrade path from say FG Standard to FG Unity Ultimate.

Would it not be possible to upgrade from lite to standard to ultimate? And if you've upgraded are those purchases counting as veteran or rookie?

Zacchaeus
April 7th, 2019, 00:25
Well yes it is possible to upgrade. My point was that I don’t think there is a crossover upgrade from one license type that is classic to a different Unity type. So the upgrade path would be classic Standard to classic Ultimate and then to Unity ultimate.

ywang2011
April 7th, 2019, 00:57
Too bad I got my license in November 2017, but $60 is definitely worth it.
My only complaint is the lack of rich text format support and other advanced text formatting options. I find highlighting and changing text color to be incredibly useful as a DM, and really helps me organize and quickly find key information in the middle of game. Personally, I'd rather have that than dynamic lighting and fancy weather effects :(

Oberoten
April 7th, 2019, 01:05

This is gorgeous. Hits a nice spot for me pricing-vise. I have had a lot of good times with my ultimate license so I won't mind paying $60 to keep using it with the new version.

- Obe

dellanx
April 7th, 2019, 03:00
I plan to buy the Veteran: Bought it 2017 or prior, FGC Ultimate to FGU Ultimate for $60. Will my players be able to download a demo version? And where will the info for downloads be posted on? Kickstarter?

dulux-oz
April 7th, 2019, 03:23

This is gorgeous. Hits a nice spot for me pricing-vise. I have had a lot of good times with my ultimate license so I won't mind paying $60 to keep using it with the new version.

- Obe

Ditto

TheSwartz
April 7th, 2019, 13:29
I've got my calendar marked!

The YouTube announce was great, but a few questions I still have:

1. Is a player, running FGC ("classic") able to connect to a GM (with an ultimate license) running FGU ("unity")? (obviously the player would not have access to FGU specific upgrades)
2. Related to #1, assuming the answer is "no", if a GM is using the Beta (from having backed the Kickstarter), will backers also get access to a free FGU version they can pass on to their players for testing?
3. It's very clear that FGU will be fully backwards compatible with FGC content (and, thank you for that!). But, will there be any issues with running content created within FGU in FGC?

Looking forward to the KS!

Kyuss11
April 7th, 2019, 14:09
Ok,so the way I heard it is... If you buy it new ultimate license or previously bought the ultimate license in 2018,2019 then your upgrade fee is $30 for the Unity upgrade. However I bought the ultimate license in 2017 for the same price of $149 ,but what I heard for anyone before 2018 has to pay $60 for a upgrade to Unity Ultimate license. I feel this is unfair considering that I have been promoting FG over Roll20 longer and bought books at a higher price since the books hardly ever went on sale and there wasn't bundle packs back then. I literally missed the difference to 2018 by like 4 months and it doesn't make sense for me to pay a higher price of $30 dollars more. Please reconsider your prices,for it seems unfair to me to pay a total of $210 dollars compared to a BRAND new player paying $180 for the same Unity Ultimate license.
This post of mine I copied from the youtube live stream.

Trenloe
April 7th, 2019, 14:23
Please reconsider your prices,for it seems unfair to me to pay a total of $210 dollars compared to a BRAND new player paying $180 for the same Unity Ultimate license.
Think of it this way - you've had 2 years use of FG for that $30 difference!

Unfair that you missed the cutoff by 4 months? Yeah, maybe, but there has to be a cutoff somewhere - without having extremely complex sliding scales which confuse users (just see how many questions there have been for the current simple pricing) and creates a massive overhead for SmiteWorks. You've used FG for 2 years, you're now getting to use FGU for $60, $30 more than people who've used it for less time and $119 less than people who are completely new to FG. Most people who've commented on the pricing structure seem to think this is a very reasonable pricing structure.

Kyuss11
April 7th, 2019, 14:27
If I payed 120 for my ultimate license than I can see the 60 dollar difference to make it 180 total dollars. There shouldn't be a TIME LINE on the price difference but what you payed for the Ultimate license. Like I said if I payed 120 but I payed 150 for the license in 2017,so I feel that it's unfair because I see a time owned factor and not the difference on what you payed for it. I assume this is what they were going with, that the majority payed 120 before 2018 so they see the 60 dollars as a fair price upgrade for a new customer at 180.

seycyrus
April 7th, 2019, 14:28
I don't work for smiteworks. Don't everyone get their hackles raises at SW because I dare offer my opinion.

I think this whole business about everyone trying to exploit every last dollar from SW is BS.

FG unity is a different product from FGC. SW never, ever, ever tried to pull the wool over anyone's eyes.

FG is/was/ the best deal on the VTT marketplace. Everyone got the product they paid for, probably many, many, many times over.

I don't want MY KICKSTARTER money to go towards providing a free product for everyone else.

Mortar
April 7th, 2019, 14:42
If I payed 120 for my ultimate license than I can see the 60 dollar difference to make it 180 total dollars. There shouldn't be a TIME LINE on the price difference but what you payed for the Ultimate license. Like I said if I payed 120 but I payed 150 for the license in 2017,so I feel that it's unfair because I see a time owned factor and not the difference on what you payed for it. I assume this is what they were going with, that the majority payed 120 before 2018 so they see the 60 dollars as a fair price upgrade for a new customer at 180.

You AREN'T paying AGAIN for the license you currently own. You ARE getting a discounted price on a license for the NEW FG Unity (a second install) client which allows you to continue to use all the DLC you have previously purchased.

Trenloe
April 7th, 2019, 14:43
I think this whole business about everyone trying to exploit every last dollar from SW is BS.
I agree. But, to be fair, I'm not seeing many people do this (perhaps I'm not hanging out in social media spaces where this is happening?). The vast majority of user comments I've seen so far seem to think the pricing structure for a brand new platform with many thousands of hours of development under the hood and many thousands to come, is very fair. In fact, a lot of Ultimate license users have said they'd have been OK paying for it all over again.

In the end - FGC (FG Classic) is not going away in the near future. If anyone feels that the price for them to get a reduced cost upgrade to a new platform (that support all of their DLC and custom content) is too much/unfair, then they can keep playing with FGC. No one is being forced to move to FGU and contribute to the many thousands of hours development time necessary to move to the new platform.

Kyuss11
April 7th, 2019, 14:57
Ok, whatever I guess for those who paid 120 for ultimate even before 2017 of which they have had it longer than me get to pay for the dicounted price for a new fg ultimate unity license for only 60 dollars which means they only pay a total of 180. However I payed 149 and now must pay 60 dollars for a new fgu ultimate unity license because I didn't make the 2018 date or before when fantasy grounds was only 120 for the ultimate license. If no one here understands that the people who bought this in that 1 year maybe timeline is getting screwed out of 30 dollars than so be it,doesn't make it right.
I have spent hundreds of dollars on books and love fg but I feel that the decision to make a timeline based on pay and not the difference of what you payed to meet the 180 total for a new fantasy grounds unity ultimate license is the issue. I just wish I bough fg a long time ago when it was 80 or 100 and then I would pay even less than a new customer.

Trenloe
April 7th, 2019, 15:09
Ok, whatever I guess for those who paid 120 for ultimate even before 2017 of which they have had it longer than me get to pay for the dicounted price for a new fg ultimate unity license for only 30 dollars. However I payed 149 and now must pay 60 dollars for a new fgu ultimate unity license because I didn't make the 2018 date or before when fantasy grounds was only 120 for the ultimate license.
I'm completely confused by this statement. The Ultimate license when I bought it in 2012 was $149. Where are you getting the information that FG Ultimate was $120 before 2017?

If no one here understands that the people who bought this in that 1 year maybe timeline is getting screwed out of 30 dollars than so be it...
Yeah, that's what I'm struggling to understand - because FG Ultimate was $149 before 2017 too.

EDIT: Even so, if it was $120 before 2017, you still got to use FG Ultimate for a bunch of time. Companies increasing their prices over time is quite natural. How much is that 4 months of using FG Ultimate worth? If you went with a subscription you would have paid $40 for that 4 months in 2017. I know you didn't go with a subscription, but that is just a direct comparison of FG cost vs. time. Looking at it in more depth - the cost/month you've paid so far - $149/19 months = $7.84/month. For the 4 months you had FG in 2017: $7.84 x 4 = $31.36. So, if you really want to look at cost to upgrade based off the difference in your 2017 purchase to the 2018 reduced FGU upgrade cutoff - you're actually saving $1.36! ;-)

Zacchaeus
April 7th, 2019, 15:15
The $120 sounds like the upgrade price from Standard to Ultimate. Or possibly the sale price during a sale period? At any rate the Ultimate one off payment has always been the same for as long as I've used FG which is getting on for 5 years now.

damned
April 7th, 2019, 15:18
The cost of FGU is likely to be exactly the same as FGC - $149.
If you buy FGU outside of the kickstarter its likely to cost you $149.

If you buy FGU inside the kickstarter you get a discount.

Small discount if you dont own FGC already.
Big discount if you do own FGC.
And even bigger discount if you have only bought FGC in the last 15months.

No one is paying more.
Everyone is getting an opportunity to pay less.

Kyuss11
April 7th, 2019, 15:19
I'm completely confused by this statement. The Ultimate license when I bought it in 2012 was $149. Where are you getting the information that FG Ultimate was $120 before 2017?
Ok,well than I'm sorry for my dumbass assumption on the information that I thought was right.
I though there was a price difference before I purchased the ultimate license in 2017. My bad!

On a more positive note.... I'm looking forward to supporting kick starter. I'm really looking forward to the new map making abilities with using layers and asset ids. Will we be able to have a separate folder to store the asset ids or will it be in a sub-folder like tokens are in FG?

ddavison
April 7th, 2019, 15:36
On a more positive note.... I'm looking forward to supporting kick starter. I'm really looking forward to the new map making abilities with using layers and asset ids. Will we be able to have a separate folder to store the asset ids or will it be in a sub-folder like tokens are in FG?

No worries Kyuss. I always kick myself when I miss a sale on something. There are always cases where there is an optimal time to buy something and when there is not. For instance, there is normally a Summer Sale and Holiday Sale each year where everything is discounted. We don't value customers more during the sale than we do those who bought outside the sale, and yet they still got to buy at a lower rate. It's just the nature of the beast and there has to be a cut-off somewhere. What I will say is that we will do our best to make your purchase as awesome as we can and we hope to make this the best purchase you've ever made when you look back on it in another few years.

Kyuss11
April 7th, 2019, 15:43
I will say the bundles are the best. I just got to have all the books in the bundles and there always cheaper than regular price. Thanks!

LordEntrails
April 7th, 2019, 18:15
I've got my calendar marked!

The YouTube announce was great, but a few questions I still have:

1. Is a player, running FGC ("classic") able to connect to a GM (with an ultimate license) running FGU ("unity")? (obviously the player would not have access to FGU specific upgrades)
2. Related to #1, assuming the answer is "no", if a GM is using the Beta (from having backed the Kickstarter), will backers also get access to a free FGU version they can pass on to their players for testing?
3. It's very clear that FGU will be fully backwards compatible with FGC content (and, thank you for that!). But, will there be any issues with running content created within FGU in FGC?

Looking forward to the KS!
1. No
2. Don't know, but assume so or it wouldn't be a very effective Beta would it? :)
3. Unknown, but I would assume not since FGU modules will probably have capabilities (dynamic line of sight) that FGC will not.

notrealdan
April 7th, 2019, 18:47
I have a Standard license I bought in 2007. I've been thinking of upgrading to Ultimate for a little while now. If I upgraded to Ultimate today, I wonder which discount level I would get to move up to FGU during the Kickstarter...

I'm going to be a backer either way, just wondering!

notrealdan
April 7th, 2019, 18:56
3. Unknown, but I would assume not since FGU modules will probably have capabilities (dynamic line of sight) that FGC will not.

I doubt they're going to want to make creators publish modules (including modules coming from SW) in two different formats if they wish to support both FG versions. Since FGC will still be supported going forward, maybe it will be patched to be able to read modules created with FGU and just ignore extra information that only FGU can utilize, so new published modules could just be released only in the newer format and work on both? I guess it depends on how drastically different native FGU modules are.

I'm sure the team have thought this through a lot, since they've gone through so much backwards-compatibility effort.

ddavison
April 7th, 2019, 19:57
I have a Standard license I bought in 2007. I've been thinking of upgrading to Ultimate for a little while now. If I upgraded to Ultimate today, I wonder which discount level I would get to move up to FGU during the Kickstarter...

I'm going to be a backer either way, just wondering!

It counts as a Rookie purchase.

naezgul
April 7th, 2019, 20:54
Yeah, the pricing levels Doug mentioned seem very reasonable.

I’d like to see newcomers that donate for a particular level get access to the Classic version until the Unity version is operational.

Just one “purchase” instead of getting classic then donating for the upgrade.

Trenloe
April 7th, 2019, 21:02
I’d like to see newcomers that donate for a particular level get access to the Classic version until the Unity version is operational.

Just one “purchase” instead of getting classic then donating for the upgrade.
Welcome to the forums.

That's a little bit too much like double dipping to be perfectly honest. The main drive for a kickstarter is to back (kickstart) a new project. But, I suppose this "level" will be available - buy FG Classic right now, and then back the FGU kickstarter at a "Rookie" level - for an ultimate it'll be $30 more than just a normal new FGU backer (no previous FGC purchase), but you'll get FGU pretty soon (when it goes to beta) and can use FGC right now.

naezgul
April 7th, 2019, 21:07
Welcome to the forums.

That's a little bit too much like double dipping to be perfectly honest. The main drive for a kickstarter is to back (kickstart) a new project. But, I suppose this "level" will be available - buy FG Classic right now, and then back the FGU kickstarter at a "Rookie" level - for an ultimate it'll be $30 more than just a normal new FGU backer (no previous FGC purchase), but you'll get FGU pretty soon (when it goes to beta) and can use FGC right now.
We’ll make it a donation of $150
The release pricing, remember those that are getting this never garnished any enjoyment for having it previously.

LordEntrails
April 7th, 2019, 21:16
We’ll make it a donation of $150
The release pricing, remember those that are getting this never garnished any enjoyment for having it previously.
We, the community, don't get to negotiate and set our prices. If you want FGC, then you have to buy FGC. You can then get FGU for the additional price via the KS.

Of course, you can always ask :)

For the most part, I don't think SW is going to release more details until next week's FGF stream, and I would not expect all details to be announced until May 1st.

naezgul
April 7th, 2019, 21:28
We, the community, don't get to negotiate and set our prices. If you want FGC, then you have to buy FGC. You can then get FGU for the additional price via the KS.

Of course, you can always ask :)

For the most part, I don't think SW is going to release more details until next week's FGF stream, and I would not expect all details to be announced until May 1st.
I’m not trying to negotiate.
I am making a suggestion that I believe will garner much more KS cash(what they need) without any perceptible costs

JohnD
April 7th, 2019, 22:01
Well, you can always buy FG as it currently exists and support the KS campaign in a month.

Caenth
April 7th, 2019, 23:58
Okay, if I understand this incorrectly, please correct me.

So if I want to upgrade from FGC Standard > FGU Ultimate I will have to pay for the FGC Standard > FGC Ultimate upgrade ($110) + FGC Ultimate > FGU Ultimate ($30). A total of $140.

While the newcomers price is $135 (during KS).

Not that an extra $5 is -that- much, but making it more expensive for an upgrader than a newcomer sounds not okay to me.

Edit: I will most likely pick up the FGC upgrade during a discount on Steam in this case.

Mr Hale
April 8th, 2019, 00:07
I missed the stream, when is the kickstart program, starting?

damned
April 8th, 2019, 00:12
Hi Caenth

Of you want an Ultimate NOW whole you are using FGC then yes you would do that upgrade path. Upgrade to Ultimate now so you can use Ultimate for the next 8/9/? months.
Back the kickstarter for $30 to get FGU Ultimate when it arrives.

If you dont need Ultimate now, but you want it for FGU then do the newcomer price only.
Newcomers buying an FGU license via kickstarter wont get FGC now, they will get FGU beta and FGU live when they are ready.

I hope that makes sense.

Just saw your edit. These kickstarter prices are available during the kickstarter. We dont know what the prices will be outside of this but probably they will just be the standard/ultimate buy price. It is paying money now (soon) for something you will get later - which is one reason you get the discount.

i3ullseye
April 8th, 2019, 00:17
Someone put on a cap of intelligence when pricing this out! Now just need some tier level included add on info!

Kelrugem
April 8th, 2019, 00:31

So if I want to upgrade from FGC Standard > FGU Ultimate I will have to pay for the FGC Standard > FGC Ultimate upgrade ($110) + FGC Ultimate > FGU Ultimate ($30). A total of $140.

Not that an extra $5 is -that- much, but making it more expensive for an upgrader than a newcomer sounds not okay to me.

Edit: I will most likely pick up the FGC upgrade during a discount on Steam in this case.

Depending on when you need an Ultimate, assuming Rookie for standard and assuming that their will be also an upgrade cost of 110$ from FGU Standard to Ultimate (upgrade difference for non Kickstarter prices), then it would be even cheaper to take the 15$ upgrade cost to FGU standard of the Kickstarter and then to upgrade :) In total 125$ instead of the 140$ you have mentioned :) (but when you wait for a sale then it might be different of course ^^ But there might be a sale for unity at some point... :D a lot of factors when you really want to minimise your costs :) )

LordEntrails
April 8th, 2019, 00:34
I’m not trying to negotiate.
I am making a suggestion that I believe will garner much more KS cash(what they need) without any perceptible costs
Got it :) I think Caenth has laid it out, but with a little caveat I've added below.

The big thing to remember here is we do not know when FGU Beta and FGU v 1 will be available. I think Doug said something like by the end of 2019.

So, if you want FGC Ult now, then you end up paying $5 for it over the next ~ 8 months or so. But if you don't need ult now and just want it for FGU, then you buy FGU Ult through the KS and never get FGC Ult.

I missed the stream, when is the kickstart program, starting?
May 1st.

---
Everyone should also keep in mind, very few programs offer any type of tiered upgrade pricing. I keep thinking about things like Turbo Tax, that every year I end up having to pay for. And MS Office Products, that don't give me any discount just because I have the current/previous version. Or games like COD 2 that didn't give me a discount because I had COD, etc.

Yes I'm sure their are some examples, but it seems to be the exception and not the standard. And, even though their are edge cases, try to think of it like SW, what makes sense and can reasonably be implemented?

ddavison
April 8th, 2019, 00:54
There are some cases where buying during the KS is cheaper than buying FGC and then upgrading. It all depends on if you want to use FGC at all while you wait. The release date for FGU is not until Dec 2019. 7 Months of Ultimate is $70 if you did a subscription. FGC Ultimate is stable and usable now. People are assuming the FGU Beta will be stable enough for running your regular games. While I would love for that to be the case, it is still beta software.

Trenloe
April 8th, 2019, 01:48
We dont know what the prices will be outside of this...
Actually, we do - see post #9 in this very thread.

damned
April 8th, 2019, 02:06
Actually, we do - see post #9 in this very thread.

Many things have been said over many long months.
If someone buys FGC in November this year I imagine there will be some upgrade path to FGU that is not covered in that post. If they dont I imagine that license sales would drop off quite steeply for a number of months for example.
There are many variables that might come into play.
I was replying specifically to someone who was looking at various options on upgrading including waiting for the Steam Sales to do the Ultimate upgrade and then do an upgrade to FGU...
The posted prices cover the kickstarter and the standard pricing model.
There are license sales throughout the year and this post doesnt rule out the possibility of another upgrade window somewhere down the track. Hence I posted what I did as part of the larger response.

Trenloe
April 8th, 2019, 02:11
I was replying specifically to someone who was looking at various options on upgrading including waiting for the Steam Sales to do the Ultimate upgrade and then do an upgrade to FGU...
Sorry, my mistake. It sounded like you were saying we didn't know what the normal prices would be outside of the kickstarter, and that "probably they will just be the standard/ultimate buy price" - which post #9 confirms this will be the case.

esmdev
April 8th, 2019, 02:38
Just a thought about buying FGC Ultimate is that FG-Con is next weekend and if I recall correctly Ultimate goes on sale during that event. If that is the case, and you are thinking about getting it, that might be the time to do it.

damned
April 8th, 2019, 03:03
Just a thought about buying FGC Ultimate is that FG-Con is next weekend and if I recall correctly Ultimate goes on sale during that event. If that is the case, and you are thinking about getting it, that might be the time to do it.

There isnt usually a sale event to co-incide with FG Con - sorry!

esmdev
April 8th, 2019, 04:25
My bad, I thought I recalled there being a sale going on with some event last year guess I was mistaken.

Trenloe
April 8th, 2019, 07:35
I think the licenses were on sale during one of the last FG Cons. That wasn’t anything specifically coordinated between us and SmiteWorks, but it might have been they decided to do the sale because of FG Con, or it may have just been coincidence.

Valarian
April 8th, 2019, 10:46
Will we be able to upgrade multiple licenses as part of the kickstarter? I've got an ultimate and at least one standard to upgrade.

Nylanfs
April 8th, 2019, 12:08
You can choose to give more at any of the levels in KS normally.

Ampersandrew
April 8th, 2019, 12:12
You can choose to give more at any of the levels in KS normally.

That doesn't seem to be directed at anyone in particular. Were you replying to a message?

Nylanfs
April 8th, 2019, 16:20
Primarily @Valarian.

Ampersandrew
April 8th, 2019, 16:37
Primarily @Valarian.

OK, but being able to give them more money doesn't mean they will give you the discount on multiple licences. AFAIK, we don't have that question answered by Smiteworks.

ddavison
April 8th, 2019, 16:41
Will we be able to upgrade multiple licenses as part of the kickstarter? I've got an ultimate and at least one standard to upgrade.

That's a good question. The plan was to have our survey form ask for the license key. I suppose we could add a free-form area to provide multiple license keys and then you would just back at a single level and then increase your backer level to cover the extras.

Valarian
April 8th, 2019, 16:53
That's a good question. The plan was to have our survey form ask for the license key. I suppose we could add a free-form area to provide multiple license keys and then you would just back at a single level and then increase your backer level to cover the extras.
Another way could be to add additional licenses as an add-on item? Increase pledge accordingly though to cover the additional license(s). Thanks.

Caenth
April 8th, 2019, 22:53
The main reason why I want to do a FGC Standard > FGU Ultimate upgrade would be not to 'force' my players to pay money so we can make use of FGU's features. We all have FGC Standard right now, so if we want to upgrade to FGU everyone would have to pay money for the upgrade. For some members of my group this upgrade price is still quite a bit of money while I'm in a better financial position. I just want to gift my players a better RP experience for free and lower the barrier to join a game I run.

I just thought the difference in amounts between upgrade and newcomer prices was a small oversight. I was hoping for a minor discount to upgrade to FGU and pick up an Ultimate license at the same time. I'm dutch, we just can't help it to save some cents. No hard feelings though, I still love FG.

And most likely I will pay the extra $5 anyway now I think about it more and more. Because one, I want to support the KS and Smiteworks. Two, there is really nothing to complain about FGU's backwards compatibility and the awesome new map features. And three, the thought and care the community receives from Smiteworks is just plain awesome.

I'm really looking forward to FGU and all the new features that it will bring to us eventually (built-in music support please!). ;-)

gaara6666
April 9th, 2019, 03:35
Wow my little thread really took off. I cant help but feel a little like a proud papa. I just wanted to exclaim my excitement and vent that hype I felt during a stream. I am absolutely day 1 going to go whole hog on this kickstarter and I am salivating at what the stretch goals might be

JeffKnight
April 9th, 2019, 03:48
I know it's probably a given, but just to make sure - Ultimate upgrades already purchased through Steam are eligible for the Kickstarter pricing, right?

Callum
April 9th, 2019, 13:55
We will be posting the full transcript shortly. I do want to clarify one thing because evidently I didn't make that super clear based on a few questions I got later.

Post-Kickstarter Pricing
Standard $39
Ultimate $149

Kickstarter Pricing

Thanks for the info, Doug! I look forward to reading the full transcript.

Are the Rookie and Veteran prices post-Kickstarter, in-Kickstarter, or both?

ddavison
April 9th, 2019, 14:38
I know it's probably a given, but just to make sure - Ultimate upgrades already purchased through Steam are eligible for the Kickstarter pricing, right?

Yes

ddavison
April 9th, 2019, 14:39
Thanks for the info, Doug! I look forward to reading the full transcript.

Are the Rookie and Veteran prices post-Kickstarter, in-Kickstarter, or both?

For Kickstarter only at this time. As we get closer to an official launch in December (non-Beta) then we will evaluate whether or not discounts will continue to be offered.

Dr0W
April 9th, 2019, 15:56
It's awesome ddavison is answering lots of questions!

Not trying to be cheap, but i'm trying to get as many friends in the bandwagon ready for FGU kickstarter: Is there any chance we se FGC at a discounted price this month? During FG-Con maybe?

Nylanfs
April 9th, 2019, 17:21
Sales are always mirrored on Steam, so add the items you want to your Wishlist there, then buy here when you get an email about a sale. :)

Mytherus
April 10th, 2019, 00:44

I can't imagine its going to be a "cheap" backer level, I'd be shocked if its under $500 level if not a grand....but hey more power to anyone that even dropping a four figure amount is "pocket change" -- I envy your situation if that's the case as that is certainly not mine! LOL.

hawkwind
April 10th, 2019, 14:04
i see DLC is transferable if I have understood things correctly? How easy will it be to move existing campaign files over to the new version?

ddavison
April 10th, 2019, 14:08
i see DLC is transferable if I have understood things correctly? How easy will it be to move existing campaign files over to the new version?

The data folders are stored separately (and we recommend keeping them that way.) To move a campaign over, you should be able to simply copy the campaign folder over from FG Classic.

Nylanfs
April 10th, 2019, 14:09
There isn't much difference between the DLC and campaign data, so I would imagine it would be pretty seamless going forward, but not backward.

twseifert
April 10th, 2019, 14:39
It counts as a Rookie purchase.

Doug, thanks for clarifying that, as I have a similar question; I currently have a a Standard License since roughly 2015, so I'm a Veteran there. During the Kickstarter, if I wanted to 'upgrade' to an Ultimate License, would I be doing that as a Veteran or a new user?

ddavison
April 10th, 2019, 14:44
It will be based on the age of your newest license. If you upgraded to Ultimate in 2018 or 2019 for a Standard license you purchased in 2007, then you would be considered a Rookie. Take whatever is the best one for your situation.

twseifert
April 10th, 2019, 14:46
It will be based on the age of your newest license. If you upgraded to Ultimate in 2018 or 2019 for a Standard license you purchased in 2007, then you would be considered a Rookie. Take whatever is the best one for your situation.

Ok thanks Doug. Can you elaborate now, on the process you and Smiteworks will be using the very the amounts pledged in relation to our current license types?

ddavison
April 10th, 2019, 14:58
The survey will have a place to enter your key and then we will use a script to look it up during fulfillment. If it doesn't match up during fulfillment, we will likely need to contact you by email to determine how to proceed - additional payment or refund.

twseifert
April 10th, 2019, 16:33
The survey will have a place to enter your key and then we will use a script to look it up during fulfillment. If it doesn't match up during fulfillment, we will likely need to contact you by email to determine how to proceed - additional payment or refund.

Thanks Doug! Keep up the great work.

twseifert
April 10th, 2019, 18:32
It doesnt look like there is.
You would upgrade now at standard pricing and then you would get the Rookie pricing to add FGU on top of that.
So you dont get a saving on the Standard -> Ultimate but you get the FGC to FGU upgrade for $30.

So here are the Costs if you have a Veteran FGC Standard License and want FGU Ultimate:

FGU Ultimate for Newbies $135 , see this thread Post #9 by ddavison (quoted below for clarity)

Current Upgrade from FGC Standard to FGC Ultimate is $110.00, per my Upgrade to Ultimate Button on the FGC launcher, PLUS Rookie: Bought it in 2018-2019, FGC Ultimate to FGU Ultimate for $30 = $140

So if you want FGU Ultimate, and do not really care about having FGC Ultimate between now and the end of the year, then it is cheaper to just wait until the Kickstarter and until FGU is released.

Otherwise it just costs you an extra $5.00 more now, which is not terrible. And if you are like me, probably don't mind kicking Doug and the team an extra $5 to say thanks.

Post-Kickstarter Pricing
Standard $39
Ultimate $149

Kickstarter Pricing

Monthly subscriptions:
There will be a separate monthly subscriptions. Same as today but FGU subscription or FGC subscription.

Topdecker
April 11th, 2019, 19:40
Was an anticipated delivery date ever mentioned?

JohnD
April 11th, 2019, 19:53
Was an anticipated delivery date ever mentioned?

December 2019.

Topdecker
April 11th, 2019, 20:17
Thanks, John! Hopefully they are way ahead of December - programmer crunch mode during the holidays is no fun!

Trenloe
April 11th, 2019, 20:50
December 2019 is what they're aiming for - depending how the beta testing as part of the Kickstarter goes, that could move forwards or (hopefully not) backwards.