PDA

View Full Version : 5E effect wording for NPCs

Thatpandaman
April 3rd, 2019, 03:01
I'm trying to work out a custom NPC that has a lot of effects I'm trying to work out.

1. How do I apply an effect to an NPC that will save it when its exported to a module? Some specificly worded traits (like "Magic Weapons or Improved Critical") will be saved as a part of the NPC and automatically apply the effects, is there a way to word the body of traits to apply them indefinitely?

2. Is there a way to word the following when they scores a critical hit with a weapon attack, if the target is a creature that can bleed (DM’s discretion), the target additionally suffers half of the damage from the attack at the end of its next turn.
I have thought of just having an effect that just adds additional damage dice (2d4 to start, 1d4 on a critical) with DMG: 1d4,critical. But that doesn't add half of the rolled damage from the npc.

LordEntrails
April 3rd, 2019, 04:19
Some NPC traits will automatically. Most of what is known is documented in this post by Mr. Z; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?35937-How-to-Automate-effects-on-NPCs

Any of those traits will be save and applied automatically. But, not everything you can create an effect for you can create in an NPC trait.

2) Pretty sure no way to word such a trait. Besides, how does FG know the DMs decision? But, you might be able to make some sort of effect that is close, but I don't think so. Maybe Mr Z or one of the other effects gurus have an idea.

Zacchaeus
April 3rd, 2019, 11:11
Whatever you type into the NPC will export. As noted by LE in that forum post (and here's a link to the expended version on the Wiki (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Effects#Automating_Effects_on_NPCs)) certain wording will automatically create effects when the NPC is placed on the combat tracker; so if you get the wording correct then the effect will apply. Some things like immunities and resistances will always be 'on' but other effects like additional damage etc will need to be appropriately applied to the NPC when needed.

For your second question above the answer is no; there's no wording which will apply that kind of thing. For bleeding wounds you need wording along the lines of 'the target will take <ndn> <damagetype> at the start of each of its turns'. This will create a DMGO: effect and will apply damage automatically when the actor's turn comes around on the CT.