PDA

View Full Version : How to Integrate Video in FG

Wise Orc Tavern
April 3rd, 2019, 02:35
Hi, I read all I could find about how to integrate video calls in FG, but there is no conclusive post about it that I could find.

Some people said to use OoVoO, but it seems OoVoO was discontinued and I was not able to use it. A shame because it really looked like exactly what I wanted.
Some people said to use google hangouts, but I can't find a way to stick it to the FG interface. The best I could do was to keep FG in windowed mode and to have a webpage below it with hangouts. That was awful.

So is there a way to have a video integrated in FG>
How could I use Roll20 video in FG?

How can I do this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkxILOJYeiY&t=105s
or this
https://gyazo.com/d48a15fc43faa949b072b4d76dc45612

I am not looking to stream, just to play with my friends without the need to keep alt-tabing.
I am the only one with 2 monitors, and we all have discord, but I don't see how discord could work, although I read some saying that is a possibility.

I also took a look at this post:
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?24282-How-to-make-an-overlay-and-setup-OBS-for-streaming

But I am not looking to create all that complicated stuff, just a way to see each other, and I definetely wont stream.

Thanks in advance.

LordEntrails
April 3rd, 2019, 04:10
So your first example, you tube, is probably using OBS overlay on what is broadcast. It probably doesn't look like that for the streamer and not for the players. The second example again could be OBS or oovoo or another broadcast overlay, but it also might just be someone not using FG in full screen and then using their video app to have a video panel. There is a post on the forums here about using OBS overlays; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?24282-How-to-make-an-overlay-and-setup-OBS-for-streaming!

I don't know if you can use OBS for non-broadcast purposes, have never tried and barely know how to use it for streaming. For multi-monitors just put FG on one screen and everything else on another (i.e. discord video or whatever). For a single monitor... Don't know if as a player I would want video images of people. Real estate is already precious enough when I only have one monitor, but that's your call.

Sorry I don't know more or can't help more, but maybe the OBS link might help.

damned
April 3rd, 2019, 04:46
On a single screen setup you are pretty much going to be doing something like what you already tried.
FG taking up 3/4 of the screena nd the video feeds on a page/app/something behind and/or below the FG screen.

Trenloe
April 3rd, 2019, 06:55
Ultimately you can’t put any video *in* FG. So, as damned mentions, you’ll be working out positions/sizes of FG and your chosen video app that works for you and your players.

Wise Orc Tavern
April 3rd, 2019, 12:16
On a single screen setup you are pretty much going to be doing something like what you already tried.
FG taking up 3/4 of the screena nd the video feeds on a page/app/something behind and/or below the FG screen.

Oh, I see. I have 4 more questions that might help me find my direction:

1. Is there a way to make FG without borders, but not in windowed mode, like if it was fullscreen, but in the size I want?
2. Is there a way to use google hangouts in a minimized sized window on the bottom of the screen, but without the borders and everything else a browser have, like the adress window and such?
3. Can someone confirm that OoVoO dosen't exist anymore? I tryed to access their home yesterday all day long and I could not connect. Today I could get in, but I coundn't find a download link for a windows version. I could find a pkg file, wich I have no clue how to install (working on it right now).
4. Is there any other video conference software that gives me side by side images, that I can resize to my like and will keep the aspect ratio of the video image box?

Thanks for all the answers, a final answer is always better to move on then too many inconclusive possibilities.

LordEntrails
April 3rd, 2019, 17:38
1) no
2) I doubt it, it's how windows works
3) Doesn't exist, according to Wikipedia " On November 25, 2017, ooVoo announced via Twitter that it will be shutting down, citing a lack of profit."
4) OBS

Full Bleed
April 3rd, 2019, 18:51
3) Doesn't exist, according to Wikipedia " On November 25, 2017, ooVoo announced via Twitter that it will be shutting down, citing a lack of profit."

Oovoo committed suicide when it was completely redesigned to be more mobile friendly... losing functionality and reliability in the process. Used it weekly for many, many years and dumped it immediately after that "update."

I'd suggest that people use:

A) A second (or 3rd) monitor for a dedicated video conferencing solution. Seriously, if you don't have another monitor to dedicate to video conferencing, and don't want to spend the money, then check out your local Craigslist and pick up a cheap second-hand screen. I mean $5-$10 will get you something that would work just fine as a VC monitor.

or

B) Use a tablet on a stand for your VC needs. Again, there are a lot of cheap tablets that would be great for this dedicated purpose... and cheaper still if you purchase second-hand.

lostsanityreturned
April 3rd, 2019, 23:05
Unity is capable of supporting borderless windowed mode thankfully. It would still be up to smiteworks though.

You can also use various overlay apps to layer discord's video chat over the top of FG (while keeping fg full sized.)

https://github.com/LorenzCK/OnTopReplica

I haven't used this myself just nabbed it from a reddit thread where people were using it for a similar purpose (just for a game rather than fg)

lousancio
April 13th, 2019, 17:37
Why is this so difficult? Why does FG not support this type of use?

LordEntrails
April 13th, 2019, 17:41
Why is this so difficult? Why does FG not support this type of use?
Because it is easily solved with third party programs. Their are only som many things the developers can actually work on. They usually don't chose to work on things that their are already numerous solutions for. Why spend time reinventing the wheel?

lousancio
April 13th, 2019, 17:48
Because it is easily solved with third party programs. Their are only som many things the developers can actually work on. They usually don't chose to work on things that their are already numerous solutions for. Why spend time reinventing the wheel?

Maybe I am missing what these easy third party solutions are.
None of 5he solutions presented in ghis thread seem particularly easy to me. Requiring players to all have 2 screens or programming some streaming service on top of writing game material seems less than easy.

LordEntrails
April 13th, 2019, 17:49
Maybe I am missing what these easy third party solutions are.
None of 5he solutions presented in ghis thread seem particularly easy to me. Requiring players to all have 2 screens or programming some streaming service on top of writing game material seems less than easy.

I posted detailed instructions in your thread you started with this same question.

lousancio
April 13th, 2019, 18:05
I posted detailed instructions in your thread you started with this same question.

Unfortunately the detailed instructions have not answered the question. It does not allow what I am looking to do as I am essentially asking the same question as the poster of this thread.

LordEntrails
April 13th, 2019, 18:13
Unfortunately the detailed instructions have not answered the question. It does not allow what I am looking to do as I am essentially asking the same question as the poster of this thread.
As mentioned in this thread and the other one you started (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?48876-Video-chat), your option are;
- Use 2 or more monitors
- Use a second computer or smart phone for the video
- Use an overlay

Those are the options.

My car goes really fast, but it can't tow a boat. A truck can tow a boat, but it can't go really fast. Or something like that :)

lousancio
April 13th, 2019, 18:23
Why is asking for ideal for something that can be done unreasonable?
My truck is fast. Faster than my wife's BMW. While I don't tow boats I can tow them. Fast.

Trenloe
April 13th, 2019, 18:28
Why is asking for ideal for something that can be done unreasonable?
It’s not unreasonable to ask. The reasoning why it’s not in FG and what’s possible outside of FG have been presented to you.

I’d recommend you check the FG wishlist for something similar to your request and vote for it. If it’s not there already then please add it (and then vote for it).

The FG wishlist can be found here: https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/

lousancio
April 13th, 2019, 18:37
Maybe the motives are simply different overall.
I am far more interested in playing RPGs with friends than learning new technology or becoming over invested in an online system.
I appreciate the help.

notrealdan
April 13th, 2019, 19:00
The way I see it, we have limited screen real estate and it's an individual choice where to spend that. Whether you're resizing FG to make room for a video chat app, using an overlay, or if FG had video chat built in (which it probably never will, for excellent reasons) doesn't really matter. You're still dedicating screen real estate to video chat and making that space effectively useless for FG itself (maps, story entries, etc.). If you're ok with giving up some screen space for FG, there are several options for doing so as discussed.

If you're not OK with taking screen space away from FG, I agree with you. FG needs as much space you can give it and I don't want to sacrifice any of it for something else. In this case, you have some options I can think of (at least some already discussed also):
1. Increase your screen real estate, either by getting another monitor or using another device with its own screen for those functions, as already mentioned.
2. UI scaling in FG can mitigate the problem by making FG on-screen elements smaller, but that's not a great option for many (tiny text, hard to read).
3. Leave the video chat in the background when you don't need it as much (maybe during combat) and bring it to the front when it's more important to you (probably during role-play).
4. Go without video chat and use audio only.

The chosen solution will be different for different people, as it should be.

TheMookNet
April 14th, 2019, 12:13
Oovoo was perfect, and the only video chat software I've found that allows me to make a small, vertical column of participants. A horizontal bar wastes way too much screen real estate, but every other video chat I've tried either has a minimum window size that's still too big or won't show all participants of equal size (or worse, the window positions dynamically change as users enter/leave -- lookin' at you Discord).

If anyone knows of a video chat program for Windows that can be arranged to have a thin, vertical column I'd be thankful.

RoleforFun
April 14th, 2019, 21:06
Oovoo was perfect, and the only video chat software I've found that allows me to make a small, vertical column of participants. A horizontal bar wastes way too much screen real estate, but every other video chat I've tried either has a minimum window size that's still too big or won't show all participants of equal size (or worse, the window positions dynamically change as users enter/leave -- lookin' at you Discord).

If anyone knows of a video chat program for Windows that can be arranged to have a thin, vertical column I'd be thankful.

Vsee Messenger is what we use for my remote games and stream. You can check out the quality and stuff here: https://www.mixer.com/RoleforFun. The windows can be configured to be sized/oriented however you want. You can have them all in a single window, or they can each have their own windows each with their own title based on the user's registered name. They still won't "overlay" on top of other active windows, but you can set them to the side vertically if you wish. It's the best option I have found for either streamers or people wanting the flexibility to orient their windows however they want. It also has the perks of being designed for healthcare - so very low bandwidth, secure, and free with built-in screen sharing and stuff like that. You can register (free) and download it here: https://vsee.com/messenger/

TheMookNet
April 15th, 2019, 18:22
Thanks, Catalyst20XX! That looks promising I'll give it a whirl.

Ragnar Redbeard
November 9th, 2019, 02:33
I have heard of the following:

https://teamspeak.com/en/features/overview/

https://discordapp.com/ I heard this is free.

https://www.pcmag.com/roundup/268017/the-best-video-conferencing-software

Of course, Skype or some other video conference software?

I haven't used these yet leaning this direction due to research.

Hope this helps.

LordEntrails
November 9th, 2019, 04:03
Their is a free community TeamSpeak server. imo it is superior to the others when it comes to just sound, since it doesn't do video.

Discord is a great all around app. Is free to setup a server and allows voice, video, desktop sharing, and provides an threaded IM type of discussion.

Skype is bad, imo. Lots of bandwidth issues and not better in anyone aspect than Discord.

DM4FUN
December 19th, 2019, 10:13
A lot of what is being talked about here comes across as a foreign language to me. Very new to tech.

But, I think this thread is discussing what I wish to do.

1) Run FG.
2) Run FG with people by inviting them.
3) Run FG with Discord Video Chat so that all people can see and interact with each other, as well as FG, also by inviting them.
4) Run all of this on one computer and one monitor.

Is there a step-by-step, hand holding, instructional tutorial somewhere that would show me exactly what I need to do to make this happen?

Would FG and Discord be all I need to make this happen, or is there something else I am missing?

Newb stages with things are very frustrating, stressful, and not fun, so please be kind in responses so that the negative aspects are not escalated.

Thanks!