PDA

View Full Version : Updating updater forbidden?

Jesper1
March 31st, 2019, 11:10
So i had to reinstall windows recently and when i try to install fantasy grounds it wants to update the launcher itself as is normal but this time it gives me a message:

updating fantasygroundsupdater.exe
ERROR - getpackage files: network: HTTP/1.1 403 forbidden
Retrying in 10 seconds

And that just keeps repeating endlessly
I have tried running as admin, turning of AV software and even put the computer in DMZ restarting the modem/computer and reinstalling FG with and without steam, all with no success
whats strange to me is that this is just about updating the FG software itself not connecting to a host player and i dont think i should need any tinkering just to get FG started. before trying to connect to hosts for gaming.

Zacchaeus
March 31st, 2019, 12:45
Hi Jesper welcome to FG.

There's a couple of possible problems. The first is that something on your router is preventing FG accessing the internet. Possibly flood protection or parental control.

The other possibility is that your Antivirus already quarantined FG before you switched it off (switching off AV does not always work btw). Make sure you have a proper exception set up for FG in your antivirus and that the client hasn't been quarantined.

damned
March 31st, 2019, 12:46
Hey Jesper1

Something between the exe and the FG servers is preventing your connection.
You will need to check windows settings, windows firewall settings, antivirus settings, router settings...

If you have a VPN service you can try and connect to that first.

Ultimately its most likely something on Windows or your AV as they are what has changed.

damned
March 31st, 2019, 12:50
If you right click each of the FG executable files and choose properties - you might have a section on the General Tab that says something like:

Security: This file cam from another computer and might be blocked to help protect this computer. [ ] Unblock.

If so - Unblock it and try again.