PDA

View Full Version : Are you using Xfinity?

i3ullseye
March 31st, 2019, 06:44
Hey all. Just wanted to post this quick update. I just got a new laptop, and wouldn't you know it, I could never get a connection test to pass. The same research, the same tests, the same disabling of everything under the sun. Nothing worked. I know many have been there, and might be there right now.

But, if you are using Xfinity, there may be one extra thing to check.

The newer routers seem to have some extra protections built in. And if you log into your router to check settings, like port forwarding and such, they actually send you to a web site to manage your device settings, and it is a cloud based setup now I believe. One thing popped up new on mine. It said it had saved me from a potentially malicious access recently. And when I clicked to get details, wouldn't you know it, it was port 1802. Once I found this, I told it to allow access and ALL the problems went away. No matter what port forwarding you do, what firewall you disable, noting will allow it through if at one time it saw it as a threat and listed it as blocked.

Love Xfinity. I have literally been a loyal customer for decades. And this is actually a pretty cool feature for extra protection. But if you aren't aware of it, it can completely block an application no matter what you do until you give it the green light.

Just thought I would share this in case it helps someone get connected.

bakerbc
August 20th, 2020, 05:00
Just ran into this when i got a new gateway! Even though i had the port forwarding setup i had to click the 'allow' option in the security alert. Thanks for posting this!

LordEntrails
August 20th, 2020, 05:47
Note that the security allow option has to be re-done every 30 days.

More details; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?53461-Comcast-XFinity-Cox-and-Shaw-Communications-Users-Important