PDA

View Full Version : Showing Roll Effects (resulting only)

Gruber
March 28th, 2019, 14:16
So, I've searched all around the place but was unable to find it.

In our 5e game, I am using dice tower and 'Show GM rolls' is set to off. This effectively hides all the rolls and their results from players in chat window.

But this is not exactly what I need, as it slows the game and also I'd like for players to be able to see what is the outcome of their and also NPC actions. For example, when attack roll is made, the system shows whether it is attack or cast, it shows the type of the roll, the resulting d20, all bonuses and the final result. Then, the system compares it to target defense (such as AC or Save) and calculates the result, displaying the message that looks like below:

NPC
[ATTACK (M)] Attack 19+2=21
Attack [21] -> [at Player] [HIT]

or, for casting

Player: [SAVE] Dexterity 15+5=20
Save [20][vs. DC 12] -> [for Player] [vs NPC] [FAILURE]

[DAMAGE] Sacred Flame - Cantrip [TYPE: radiant (1d8=1)]
Damage [1] -> [to Player] [ABSORBED]

From what I understand, Fantasy Grounds options allow me to eithers set my players to see all this, or see none at all (just some dice rolling).
What I would like instead is for them to see only the outcome and not rolls/numbers themselves. For example, they would be able to see something like:

NPC
Attack [21] -> [at Player] [HIT]
Damage -> [to Player]

or
Player: [SAVE] Dexterity
Save -> [for Player] [vs NPC] [FAILURE]

and display the resulting effect, as needed (like 'grappled' or 'unconscious')

I know this may sound a bit awkwardly explains, so I'll put a screenshot for reference>

To sum it all up: is there a way for players to only see the resulting outcomes like [MISS], [HIT], [FAILURE], [SUCCESS] etc but not the numbers rolled?

If not yet possible, I guess an extension that does that would not be to complicated to make?

Zacchaeus
March 28th, 2019, 16:19
I believe this extension does what you desire https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?47946-LAE-ExpandedOptions-v1-1-for-5E

Note also that Switching off DM Rolls, Setting Show results to client to on and setting Show Roll Totals to Off may also do what you desire.

Gruber
March 28th, 2019, 22:08
I believe this extension does what you desire https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?47946-LAE-ExpandedOptions-v1-1-for-5E

Note also that Switching off DM Rolls, Setting Show results to client to on and setting Show Roll Totals to Off may also do what you desire.

Thank you, this solved my issue.

Also, the right combo of built-in features also was close enough, but the extension really helps as well.

Shogar
May 2nd, 2019, 02:18
I am currently trying to get the result line to show on the client side. I've tried every setting and everything above including the mod, but I still end up with the gray eye with a line thru it on the DM side and just the attack on the client.

I'm trying to link sounds to the result [HIT] or [MISS] but without the data going to the client side it's a no go.

Has something changed to make this non-functional?

I've got the hit or miss working now but only with the mod, the DOE Sounds doesn't see it as true chat. Any suggestions?

Zacchaeus
May 2nd, 2019, 02:53
The sound extension relies on messages broadcast to the clients. If there is no such message or something intercepts the message and does something different to it then the sound extension won’t work. Essentially the sound extension needs show DM rolls on otherwise it has limited use.