PDA

View Full Version : Quickest way to import an NPC

midas
March 28th, 2019, 01:02
My searching is failing me right now.

What is currently the easiest way to whip up an NPC in Fantasy Grounds when I have a PDF (i.e. an Adventurers League PDF) with a statblock? I know in the past (and maybe currently?) there was PAR5E but I could have sworn there was another method from the last year or two where I could copy something into FG while in the campaign, but I may be wrong. Please advise. Thanks!

LordEntrails
March 28th, 2019, 01:05
Engineer Suite.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?45630-Engineer-Suite

midas
March 28th, 2019, 01:26
Thanks. I did see that, but didn't see how to get that data into FG. Is it to create a project and save it as a module? Can I copy a module into the campaign folder (or elsewhere) and load it without reloading the campaign (I've never tried that before)? Just trying to make sure this is a process I can do while running a game.

Zacchaeus
March 28th, 2019, 01:29
Yes, Engineer creates a module which you can then open in any campaign.

midas
March 28th, 2019, 01:42
Ok. Just installed FG on my machine (I'm not at home atm) and Engineer Suite and I cannot in fact add a .mod while the campaign is running (it won't show up unless I exit the campaign and then reload it). It looks like I can however create a .mod that I always load and I can update that .mod, I just need to unload/reload it within the campaign to refresh it with whatever I loaded. That's still a lot less than what I was having to do, so that'll work. Thanks guys.

LordEntrails
March 28th, 2019, 01:42
I will add, how many NPCs do you have to create? I mean if you are talking 5 or 6, just put them in using the interface. But if you have a few dozen, then learn NPC Engineer.

In between... Well, will depend on how quickly you learn etc.

midas
March 28th, 2019, 02:03
This is primarily for here-and-there situations where I decide to run a game last minute and only have the PDF. It's easy for me to throw an image into a folder for a battlemap and grid it for an encounter, but it's more complicated when there's a spellcasting vampire NPC with a bunch of spells, heh. Adding them in while the game is going in a way that would give me the actions and spells in a usable format took longer than I'd anticipated.

Zacchaeus
March 28th, 2019, 03:28
Sorry, I missed the point of you wanting to do this whilst running a game. I would suggest you don’t run games where you have to enter such stuff in the middle of a game. But if you do then you can add to a module which is already loaded and just refresh it as you have discovered.

midas
March 28th, 2019, 18:25
Yeah, usually I don't; I'll make mods for them before running them. There have been a few times in the last couple of months though where my players wanted to play and I was available, so I obliged.

Having said that, Engineer Suite will make creating the mods easier anyway. :) Thanks everyone.

Maasq
March 28th, 2019, 20:04
Glad you like it, Midas. Feel free to jump onto the Discord channel if you face any issues with it. Myself or a few other hardy souls will be able to answer your questions :)
Suggestions for features are welcome too.

Maasq