PDA

View Full Version : Sneaky Peek...Mongoose New Traveller

MadBeardMan
March 27th, 2019, 01:05
Evening Folks,

Posted on my twitter feed (https://twitter.com/MadBeardMan/status/1110691846286700544) a few moments ago.

But here as well.

Now don't worry, the Core Rulebook is all parsed, the layout is 90% done, but the data is a bit off.

I've merged my latest 1.0.10 from 1st Ed into it, and once 1.0.10 goes live then I'll switch primary focus to Mongoose New Traveller. I've already got most of the special code for the Core rulebook sorted, need to plug in the Target Numbers and address Creatures/Monsters in the CT/NPC sheet for having 'Hit Points' rather than the Wound Tracker (STR/STA/END) that PC's/NPC's have.

Anyway I'm part way through 1.0.10's PSI updates - adding a feature similar to DnD 5E, where each PSI ability has a magnifying glass, on which opens up some options, one where you can enter in the points cost and a second the Damage. Quite simple but should suffice.

Still for Mongoose New Traveller I've started the data mapping for Starships.

Work will continue on 1E even when 2E is released, it won't be as often, but if it's a straight port back to 1E then it'll be quickly done. I also kinda hope that when MG New Traveller is released (summer I hope) that they're cool with me converting more Third Imperium stuff from the 1st Edition.

Anyway, back into the groove from tomorrow.

Cheers,
MBM

Trenloe
March 27th, 2019, 01:06
Looking good. Tease.

esmdev
March 27th, 2019, 01:59
Looks great, I like the UI look.

LordNanoc
March 28th, 2019, 16:31
Wow great look. I alread purchased the starter box of 2E and told my players that we may have to redesign their chars😁😁

If you need me (and/or my campaign) to test things for you, just holler.

Cya

ianmward
March 29th, 2019, 12:37
Looking good!

esmdev
March 29th, 2019, 14:41
One thing I was thinking is perhaps not naming it New Traveller but rather something like Mongoose Traveller 2E or something. It might help to avoid confusion down the road if Mongoose ever releases a 3rd edition (which would then be the New New Traveller), or some other company licenses Traveller and decides to call theirs New Traveller.

mac40k
March 30th, 2019, 13:32
Everyone refers to it as Mong Trav 2, so a lot of people looking for it on FG would find it easier than if it was called New Traveller.

MadBeardMan
March 31st, 2019, 11:20
Everyone refers to it as Mong Trav 2, so a lot of people looking for it on FG would find it easier than if it was called New Traveller.

I call it Mongoose Traveller 2E, or MT2E but it's upto them what they call it, an email has been sent asking for clarification on this. I'll email again mentioning the above, cheers folks!

MBM

cdjensen99
April 6th, 2019, 15:08
Great look I am anxiously awaiting the final product.

By the way how hard would it be to add a d66 and possibly a % die

esmdev
April 7th, 2019, 01:08
Great look I am anxiously awaiting the final product.

By the way how hard would it be to add a d66 and possibly a % die

Updated:

So I tested it this morning. /die 1d100 (also /die d100) do generate percentile results in the Traveller ruleset.

Also /die d66 will generate a random number from 1 to 66. This result is not consistent with the way that the Traveller d66 tables work. The number should be from 11 to 66 not 1 to 66. The result should be %1%2 where %1 is the face value of the first die, and %2 is the face value of the 2nd die.

An example of a D66 table in Traveller can be found on page 165-166 of the Mongoose Traveller 1E Core Rules, or page 212-213 of Mongoose Traveller 2E Core Rules.

---- My original post ----

I'm not at my PC so can't test but MGT is built on CoreRPG so you should be able to /die 1d100 in chat. D66 is a little harder for /die but you can probably do in a custom table using two column results d6 and d6.

mrgrey
April 17th, 2019, 22:48
If it were me, I would definitely just translate the d66 tables into CoreRPG style tables - much easier that way, and I don't think I've ever seen the D66 used for anything other than tables.

Valyar
April 20th, 2019, 19:21
This is something I would buy if it is done right. :)

tommenquar
May 8th, 2019, 22:55
Sick!!!! will be purchasing as soon as available! If you req any more testers let me know @MadBeardMan

donpaulo
May 12th, 2019, 11:08
Looking forward to it

Art Wendorf
May 13th, 2019, 15:54
Very nice. The first RPG my brother ran for me was Traveller Classic. Might be able to talk him into running this again... though probably not! lol

TechCommand
June 29th, 2019, 22:20
Something to look forward to, I'm new to traveller and was wondering if I should bother playing 1e with my players who are also new...or just wait for 2e to release?

Trenloe
June 30th, 2019, 21:10
Something to look forward to, I'm new to traveller and was wondering if I should bother playing 1e with my players who are also new...or just wait for 2e to release?
If you want to play Traveller on Fantasy Grounds now, or in the near future, then I'd recommend using the currently available ruleset. There's no firm release date set for any future ruleset.

TechCommand
June 30th, 2019, 23:21
If you want to play Traveller on Fantasy Grounds now, or in the near future, then I'd recommend using the currently available ruleset. There's no firm release date set for any future ruleset.

Thanks for the quick reply, I better get to it then, is there anything else released for FG Traveller other then the ruleset and 1 module?

Trenloe
July 1st, 2019, 02:18
... is there anything else released for FG Traveller other then the ruleset and 1 module?
Nope.

LordNanoc
July 1st, 2019, 05:39
Thanks for the quick reply, I better get to it then, is there anything else released for FG Traveller other then the ruleset and 1 module?

Sad to say, there's not much going on these days (or at least we don't hear and see much). The one developer, MadBeardMan has a lot to deal with privately and is also developing other rulesets for FG.
So don't expect too much. We're all hanging in the air these days, waiting for more features to be released.
PSI is not ready yet and development for space combat has not yet started afaik. I thought you might wanna have the whole picture, before you purchase the module.

MadBeardMan
August 5th, 2019, 21:28
Folks,

Progress continues on the New Traveller. I'm now free of Kidney Stones! (YAY!!!) - MORE YAY!!!! - Evil things. My work on Vampire 5E has been pretty much completed, and WOiN will be updated post Traveller 2E.

Anyway, an update to you all.

The Core Rulebook is all converted. Some data remains to export, but nothing major
Character Creation Tables are in their own module
The theme is all complete pretty much, some niggles as things get tested
The Task Difficulty system is all plumbed in
It's fully up to date with 1E as far as automation goes

Work left to complete:

Boon/Bane
NPC - needs Animal 'type' which then replaces the Wound Track with Hits
Re-test

I'm working on the Boon/Bane system at the moment, and hope to complete it by tomorrow.

For more up to date information, see my Twitter (https://twitter.com/MadBeardMan) feed.

I'm hoping it's ready for End of August.

Note that it will be released with at least the first Reach adventure.....

Cheers,
MBM

LordNanoc
August 6th, 2019, 07:47
Very cool! Thx MBM!

esmdev
August 6th, 2019, 18:14
I've been sick and laid up for months, I come back to this. Life's definitely getting better! :)

MadBeardMan
August 6th, 2019, 18:56
I've been sick and laid up for months, I come back to this. Life's definitely getting better! :)

Sorry to hear about that and I know your pain with myself being in pain a lot due to the 8mm kidney stone stuck for 10 months :( And just to let you know I've got the Boon and Bane working, and now updating the NPC to work with Animals. All on my Twitter.

Take care
MBM

LordNanoc
August 6th, 2019, 19:27
Sorry to hear, that you're in pain esmdev, get well soon! Al the best,
Nanoc.

MadBeardMan
August 7th, 2019, 00:20
Folks,

A good day today.

Boon/Bane all working on Characteristics - need to apply to skill rolls (and ensure skill rolls check Task Difficulty)
NPC's have been updated to allow a type of 'Animal' to be entered. If it is, the Race/Homeworld/Characteristics are all removed and 'Hits, Speed' and 'Behaviour' are added.
Combat Tracker - the GM's CT now shows 'Hits' rather than 'Str, Dex and End' for Animal NPC types

Still to go:

Update Client CT (not sure much needs doing)
Update Damage to target Hits for Animals
Update Damage Colour on the CT to calculate against the Hits
Add 'Unconcious' to any animal 10% or fewer Hits remaining (but still in positive hits, ie 4)

I'm not around much of tomorrow, parenting stuff, but Thursday should see those bits above completed.

I'm expecting it all to be finished by the end of the month, along with Reach Adventure 1. It'll be in Beta for a while until all the initial issues are all ironed out, then it's full steam ahead, Reach Adventures 2-6 and Book 2 (Central Supply Catalogue) are on the horizon. High Guard will be worked on, but it'll be slow as it needs Spacecraft Combat.

Cheers,
MBM

borusa32
August 8th, 2019, 09:30
It asll looks fantastic. I know about the kidney stones-had that at the end of summer three years ago.

MadBeardMan
August 8th, 2019, 13:27
It asll looks fantastic. I know about the kidney stones-had that at the end of summer three years ago.

Thanks for the words. I'm busy on the ClientCT, got it 'working' now need to make the Damage take hits off the hits counter for Animals. So against my list earlier:

Update Client CT - done, added back in the Status column was missing!
Update Damage to target Hits for Animals
Update Damage Colour on the CT to calculate against the Hits
Add 'Unconcious' to any animal 10% or fewer Hits remaining (but still in positive hits, ie 4)

Now working on Nuimber 2. Huzzah!

Cheers,
MBM

garrion_sw
August 14th, 2019, 03:17
I'm glad you are feeling better. The teasers you are sharing look great and I'm looking forward to getting all the 2e products you have done. Some friends and myself had the opportunity to play in three Traveller games with Noah, from RPGSuites, at GenCon. These new teasers coincide with the excitement following those games. I've tried talking them into using FG to get our old group together since we live in different areas of the country now. Perhaps since they are now amped over Traveller I can get them hooked.

MadBeardMan
August 14th, 2019, 20:55
Nice one :) I've sent Mongoose Traveller 2E upto FG, it's in a closed beta at the moment. The starting point is everything the 1E ruleset has plus more. About to write a new post.

tommenquar
August 27th, 2019, 00:31
Any news from FG?

MadBeardMan
August 27th, 2019, 13:07
Any news from FG?

Not for the most recent updates, it's showing as Beta-2 with the tester atm, I've pushed Beta-3 and Beta-4 is about to go later today. I know James is on holiday/vacation, so might just be a delay on their side. Gives me a chance to add more to the rulesets.

Cheers,
MBM

Kenderr
September 8th, 2019, 15:59
Hi.

This is still only for beta test?

MadBeardMan
September 8th, 2019, 16:01
Hello,

See here:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?50489-Mongoose-Traveller-2E

It's now waiting to be checked by Smiteworks before release, 1 to 2 weeks is the current queue.

Cheers,
MBM

The Prisoner
October 4th, 2019, 00:31
i have the 1e ruleset. Do i have to buy the new 2e at full cost to upgrade?

ianmward
October 4th, 2019, 11:05
i have the 1e ruleset. Do i have to buy the new 2e at full cost to upgrade?

I’m afraid so, just like we all had to buy the 2nd edition book even though we had the 1st edition.

The ruleset includes the book text, so it’s like buying the PDF but also includes the 100s of hours of work madbeardman has put in to make it so awesome...