PDA

View Full Version : Some help needed with 6ed ruleset, any use with FG?

Manorgate
March 21st, 2019, 09:48
Hello

I bought the Call of Cthulhu ruleset, obviously can't use any of the buy modules with it.. Is there any use on having that or is it waste of money?
Can you dig up any material from 6th ed that could be useful with 7th? Mostly concerning homebrews and whatnot? Or do I just get a refund...

Thanks in advance
Cheers!

damned
March 21st, 2019, 11:45
Click on the Home Page.
Click on Call of Cthulhu.
Scroll down to the Call of Cthulhu 7E ruleset - for me its the last item on page 1 so I click Next page.
Every thing from that point and on/down was written for 6E and will work with 6E and 7E.
Everything newer than the 7E ruleset was converted for 7E only.

Trenloe
March 21st, 2019, 13:43
So, yes, the 6th edition CoC ruleset is totally usable, and has quite a few products available for it. If you prefer to play 6th edition, you can easily enter the data required to run other adventures not available as DLC.

Manorgate
March 21st, 2019, 15:19
So, yes, the 6th edition CoC ruleset is totally usable, and has quite a few products available for it. If you prefer to play 6th edition, you can easily enter the data required to run those adventures.

Well, I couldn't drag/drop anything to char sheets on 6e, with just the basic rulebook included. To make a homebrew for 6e I would'v had to manually write again all the guns and gear.

Trenloe
March 21st, 2019, 16:04
Well, I couldn't drag/drop anything to char sheets on 6e, with just the basic rulebook included.
Drag weapons to the weapons section of the Main tab in the PC sheet.

There's a "Using the Ruleset" library module that gives details of how to use the various screens. How to add weapons is detailed at the bottom of the "The Character Sheet" -> "Main tab" section in the library:

Manorgate
March 21st, 2019, 19:48
Drag weapons to the weapons section of the Main tab in the PC sheet.

There's a "Using the Ruleset" library module that gives details of how to use the various screens. How to add weapons is detailed at the bottom of the "The Character Sheet" -> "Main tab" section in the library:

Well I didn't figure that out at first so I got the 7th edition too.. Is there any use on having both and can you rip something useful from the 6th ed?
Maybe Ill just refund that, I liked the look on the UI though better than the 7th

Trenloe
March 21st, 2019, 20:12
Well I didn't figure that out at first so I got the 7th edition too.. Is there any use on having both and can you rip something useful from the 6th ed?
It's two different RPG systems, they're close, but there are some changes from 6th to 7th. Play the one you prefer playing, and refund the other. Or keep both if you think you might switch between the two.

Trenloe
March 21st, 2019, 20:16
Is there any use on having both and can you rip something useful from the 6th ed? ...I liked the look on the UI though better than the 7th
The 7th ed ruleset is encrypted. So, whereas it's possible to access the 6th ed code, it would be difficult to move that over to the 7th ed ruleset. But not impossible - I'm sure the devs might help.

Manorgate
March 21st, 2019, 20:29
Hmm.. Yea. I wish I'd gotten the guns' n all to work with the 6th ed. I just wonder why they couldn't be drag dropped into investigators.
Even the readytoplay chars didn't have any working weapons on them.

Trenloe
March 21st, 2019, 20:32
Hmm.. Yea. I wish I'd gotten the guns' n all to work with the 6th ed. I just wonder why they couldn't be drag dropped into investigators.
They can, and do work - drag the weapons from the weapons list to the bottom half of the first tab of the PC, not to the inventory.

I mentioned this in post #5 above.

Manorgate
March 21st, 2019, 20:57
Hmm yea now it seems that I can do that drag drop thing. Wonder why it didn't work last time.. You just manually ad them to inventory then?

So what are the differences of the two, between 6th and 7th ed? The rolls are different as are the char sheets a bit but any other issues between them on Fantasy Grounds ? On available materials and so on?

Trenloe
March 21st, 2019, 21:02
You just manually ad them to inventory then?
Yep. Call of Cthulhu has always taken a pretty loose approach to exact equipment tracking.

So what are the differences of the two, between 6th and 7th ed? The rolls are different as are the char sheets a bit but any other issues between them on Fantasy Grounds ? On available materials and so on?
As far as the differences in the RPG system, this conversion guide might help to outline that: https://www.chaosium.com/blog/call-of-cthulhu-7th-edition-conversion-guidelines-available-as-free-download/ I think there's also some info at the end of the 7th ed quickstart rules: https://www.chaosium.com/call-of-cthulhu-7th-edition-quick-start-rules/

The rulesets provide similar functionality, based off the specific CoC edition requirements.

@damned outlined how to see what FG products are available in post #2.

Manorgate
March 21st, 2019, 21:46
Yes yes, I can see that there are stuff on both systems, some of it aren't available through steam concerning 6th ed. I was just hoping some insight from folks who have used both and how they tribute to GMng vs their worth since I'm just getting familiar with the systems and resources.

What I got from that is that 7h ed has some more "monster manual" kinda content, atleast two of such "Mythic Monsters" books. I assume they make keepers game a bit easier by easier import of monsters?

6th ed doesn't have separate investigator handbook but I assume the same data is on the core rule book? My experience from hard cover contents is from 5.6 ed.

damned
March 21st, 2019, 21:51
6E and 7E are the same game but the mechanics changed from d20 to d100.
There were other rule changes and streamlining like chases and some other stuff.
The guide that Trenloe links to explains the differences.
5E and 6E were pretty close (I think).

7E is a newer ruleset and has more FG functionality but the code is locked away so you cant see it.
Almost all products in the store since 7E came out are written for 7E only but the 7E ruleset knows how to convert most 6E stuff automatically.

Manorgate
March 21st, 2019, 21:57
So 6e resources work with 7e but not otherway around? Good to know, that was helpful, thank you.

Trenloe
March 22nd, 2019, 16:13
6E and 7E are the same game but the mechanics changed from d20 to d100.
Not really - there's no d20s used by players (except to roll really high SAN loss!). In 6E the main abilities were listed on a more D&D like scale (3-18 range for most investigator abilities), you multiplied this by 5 to get a percentile target to roll against. in 7e they've just done the x5 up front. In either edition it's still a d100 roll - for ability checks, skill checks, attacks, etc..

i3ullseye
March 22nd, 2019, 21:01
I think you guys are confusing the poor guy hehe.

Best thing to do? Test it yourself and see how it fits your needs. Take a 6E product, and open it with your 7E rules loaded. Check what happens. If you like what it presents you, then your answer might be clear. Run the new shiny.... and get fully supported products on all new releases. If you don't like it, then you have to gauge how much you might want to do manually to use newer content.

Manorgate
March 25th, 2019, 16:26
So now I got both 6th and 7th ed, 7e investigator handbook and mythic monsters 18# and 21#..

If anyone has ever time to show the ropes in setting that all up, I'm more then interested to take the study there.