PDA

View Full Version : An Introduction

Derek
August 31st, 2006, 21:24
It is early morning and as I sit in my bow hunting blind I find myself thinking deeply. I think about all the time I have studied my prey. I know its habits, its routine. I know its favorite foods in each part of the year. I know its favorite bedding site and who it hangs out with. I know it as well as I know my ex. I see a doe and her twin fawns brows through the alfalfa and think of the wonder that is my two and a half-year-old daughter. The memory of her giggles warms me this cold November morning. I look about slowly so as not to up set my company. I see the Oregon farmlands that surround my parent’s house. The house I grew up in. I feel the fatigue in my hands from the more then Thirty hours of massage therapy I do every week. I slowly flex my fingers back and forth. For a moment I wish I were back at home, snuggling in a warm bed with my daughter, who should just now be waking up. Just like clock work, the buck appears and all thoughts of warmth, family or home disappear. I sit quietly, patiently. I mimic the intensity of the red tailed hawk perched in the tree above me. The buck torturously takes his time to move into shooting range. I think of the thousands of hours I have put into this one moment. I reflect on the thousands of arrows I have put throw this bow. I reflect them in my body and in my mind. It has taught me control and focus. It has taught me humility. All that I have learned about hunting in my thirty years kicks in overdrive. As the buck finely steps into range I come to full draw, and like a Zen master, my mind stops dead. The buck ceases to exist. The doe and fawns no longer exist. My wife and child are gone to the place memories go when you are not remembering. There is nothing in my world but a spot. No, not even a spot, but a hair, a single golden brown hair…

Hello everyone. I am Derek. New to this form of Roleplaying, but not to roleplaying itself. I started back in the early 80's and I remember the red box clearly. I can play pretty much anything and everything and have, but tend to lean toward playing warrior classes. As you might guess from my intro above, rangers hold a special place in my heart.
My Yim handle is listed if your interested in having me in a game some time.
thanks for reading,
Derek =)

Snikle
September 1st, 2006, 03:27
If you are looking for games, we have a few over at the FUM site at the Open Gaming Table, a nice way to jump into a game and test it out, learn the system:
https://www.fouruglymonsters.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=18

Derek
September 1st, 2006, 06:06
Thanks Snikel.
I went to the web site and looked around. I'd like to get in a game for sure some time. I tried to do an introduction, but for some reason it won't let me post a new topic despite being logged in. ???
what's going on here?
thanks,
Derek

Snikle
September 1st, 2006, 06:32
We have email verification enabled on our forum, for security and an attempt to keep those forum phisers down, so you will have to check your email and use the link in there verify your account, then you should be able to post.

Derek
September 1st, 2006, 17:22
you were so very correct!
thanks.
I am in now. =)

Snikle
September 1st, 2006, 18:10
Welcome! Enjoy your stay, sometimes it seems the FUM forums are more productively active than the FG ones. ;)

Kalan
September 1st, 2006, 19:31
Welcome! Enjoy your stay, sometimes it seems the FUM forums are more productively active than the FG ones. ;)

They are? I thought it was mostly just beer an pretzels...

Hmmmm...work...bleh ;)

Snikle
September 2nd, 2006, 02:38
Gimme more smilies dangit! 4 on a post just ain't enough!

I see you have picked up your campaign to increase the smilie population on this forum as well! I am going to go in and edit your permissions on the forum...no pictures for you!
.....and bring more beer damn you.

Kalan
September 2nd, 2006, 04:38
I see you have picked up your campaign to increase the smilie population on this forum as well! I am going to go in and edit your permissions on the forum...no pictures for you!
.....and bring more beer damn you.

Hey....the campaign BEGAN here...dang vbulletin ;) Or whatever it is...

And dang straight I'll bring the brew...none of this yankee swampwater that passes for beer for this Canuck...only good strong beer for me :D