PDA

View Full Version : Using Fantasy Grounds: Learning by doing?

Pernille
March 18th, 2019, 14:10
If I am posting this the wrong place, please let me know, I'll move it at once.

TL;DR I suck at learning from txt. How much can I learn about running a game in FG, as a GM, from joining a game?

I am an old dog to GM'ing various tabletop RPGs, (have played 28+ years) but have never used an online platform like this for it. I'm a bit daunted by the amounts of txt based manuals and hours of talking tutorials teaching how to use Fantasy Grounds, and would like to ask:
If you are a visual learner, would playing a game on FG as a player (as opposed to as a GM), teach you most of what you need to know?

Or is the difference between the knowledge the GM and the players need too big?

I see there are some pretty extensive vid. tutorials (frankly daunting) out there showing how to use FG, but even the most comprehensive I could find could not even tell me how to close the program when in it.. A pretty normal thing to include. As such I have yet to find another way than just right clicking the icon on my taskbar and forcibly shutting it off. :confused:

I had a look at the massive written manual (and couldn't find that info there either) and that makes me a bit apprehensive.

I am eager to start using an online platform for one of my games, since two of my longtime players/friends have moved more than 5 hours away for jobs and we miss playing.
Any advice would be appreciated.

twistedtechmike
March 18th, 2019, 16:10
I would say 90% of what Ive learned about how to use the software, was from diving in and playing. Now, however, the best option for you sounds like Fantasy Grounds College. They actually hold classes / play-tests for users which may be right up your alley.

https://fantasygroundscollege.net/

Xemit
March 18th, 2019, 16:16
There is a lot more for a GM to learn and do than a player. However, just seeing how it works as a player will definitely ease the learning curve.

Do a search on the forum for FG College. These people can help you through the learning curve. Watching the videos is a bit daunting, but does give a taste of what it should look like when you are using it. The College will provide hands on experience in whichever RPG you are playing.

As for shutting down the program, just right click anywhere on the background and a radial menu will pop up. One choice (left arrow) will take you back to the launch dialog. Another choice (X) will let you completely exit the program. Don't close by the X icon in the upper right of the window as this can lead to loss of data (depending on how you are running the software).

If you are in the launch dialog, then you can safely use the window X to close the software.

Pernille
March 18th, 2019, 16:21
Thank you so much!

Nylanfs
March 18th, 2019, 17:40
Unless you are using a MAC, the normal close program function can really screw with the program AFAIK. So if on Mac, right click to close.

Trenloe
March 18th, 2019, 18:15
Unless you are using a MAC, the normal close program function can really screw with the program AFAIK. So if on Mac, right click to close.
That's a confusing statement!

To clarify:
- On a Mac you must close out via the right-click menu on the desktop. Closing via the Mac window controls will essentially crash the app (an unclean force close).
- On Windows you can close out via either the desktop right-click menu or by clicking the X to close the window.

Maximise/Restore is also available via the right-click menu. On a Mac you may have some issues with maximising not displaying well - if you have this issue, don't maximise, but drag your window to be nearly maximum.

Pernille
March 18th, 2019, 18:44
Thank you. I was indeed in doubt about this.

LordEntrails
March 18th, 2019, 18:58
I'll third the recommendation for FG College. Everything there is all free and done by volunteers. You can also jump on their discord or the FG Discord server and ask questions. Or stick with the forums. We are all pretty friendly and helpful where ever you reach out.

Trenloe
March 18th, 2019, 19:07
And also look to join some games at FG Con 14. Link in my signature - player event registration begins this Friday!

Pernille
March 19th, 2019, 11:57
Spent my day off yesterday on FGC and IT. IS. AWESOME!! I have already learned enough that I have no problem running a short game for a couple of friends.

Thank you so much, guys, for pointing me in that direction!

Kelrugem
March 19th, 2019, 14:52
Spent my day off yesterday on FGC and IT. IS. AWESOME!! I have already learned enough that I have no problem running a short game for a couple of friends.

Thank you so much, guys, for pointing me in that direction!

:)

Then welcome to the community :D

Laerun
March 20th, 2019, 00:46
Hello and well met. I am the community founder of FG College. We can help you learn the ropes and support your adventure into Fantasy Grounds VTT.

We have a huge community, dedicated to learning, teaching, and practice sessions, one shots... etc. Bring a headset, some time, patience, and the willingness to learn!

https://discord.gg/Ew6nYyw

Laerun