PDA

View Full Version : Question about customization

jrpbsp
August 28th, 2006, 21:04
I am thinking about buying this for a game I am running. We are into epic levels though and none of the players are standard races anymore. I basically wanted to see whether you could simply input your character stats/weapons etc or whether it all had to be rolled. Also most of my monsters are customized to actually offer a threat. Any information is appreciated.

Stuart
August 28th, 2006, 21:07
Customizing your ruleset is entirely possible and seems to be the main hobby of many of the owners of FG ;) How much do you know about xml ?

jrpbsp
August 28th, 2006, 21:28
Not much unfortunately. I am a computer professional but never had much of a head for coding. But I supposed I could learn if i needed to.

richvalle
August 28th, 2006, 22:06
I don't think this needs much in the way of a ruleset. A lot of the character sheet fields are just free text lines that you can type in whatever you want. Stats you just enter in, no rolling needed. Weapons are free text.

If you want to create your own monsters into the 'monster book' you would have to mess around in the xml a little bit but this is very, very easy (i.e. I did it and I know nothing about xml). Get a free xml editor and open up the monster xml file. find a critters start and end point and copy it. Then paste it back in at the bottom of the file. Then go though and change the entries to be what your new critter is.

Another way you could do this quick and dirty is just create them as 'personalities'. All the fields you would need for combat are there.

rv

jrpbsp
August 28th, 2006, 22:32
Good that seems to be mostly what I need. We have some house rules of course and most of our weapons are pretty much artifacts by any other name. Also as the GM do I have access to character sheets? I usually run a char to act as the deus ex machina if needed

A Trackless Stranger
August 28th, 2006, 22:40
Good that seems to be mostly what I need. We have some house rules of course and most of our weapons are pretty much artifacts by any other name.

This kind of thing is pretty easily added directly through the interface (meaning that you arguably don't need to know anything about XML)

Also as the GM do I have access to character sheets?

You do. Having said that, I don't know if there is the functionality to allow the GM to play a character. Someone more knowledgeable will have to answer that one.

richvalle
August 29th, 2006, 00:33
You have access to players char sheets and can create one for an NPC. I've used them to run npc's this way but its a bit clunky. Having them in as a personality might be better (the window is much smaller).