PDA

View Full Version : Montserrat Font Extension

benjihad
March 14th, 2019, 17:18
After several attempts to find a font that plays nicely with Fantasy Grounds, I finally feel that I found one that looks somewhat decent.

This is based off the Custom Font extension that I can't seem to find the forum link to now, but figured I should shout out to the creator that put this together originally.

Montserrat Font @ Google Font Library (https://fonts.google.com/specimen/Montserrat)
The font used has an open source license attached so should be free to distribute.

There are two files:
- One has an alternate font called "Princess Sofia" (also open-source) as the narrator text used in the chat window.
- The other is the base file with only Montserrat.

Image: 26713

paladiusdarkhelm
March 15th, 2019, 00:00
That -is- really easy to read. Have you already tested it by any chance with any other extensions that key off of chat-text, like DOE Sounds?

benjihad
March 15th, 2019, 02:34
That -is- really easy to read. Have you already tested it by any chance with any other extensions that key off of chat-text, like DOE Sounds?

Have not had a chance to test with any other rulesets or add-ons besides the DCCRPG ruleset and the Author utility. Will maybe take a look at that this weekend since I've been meaning to mess around with the DOE extensions again.

mattekure
March 15th, 2019, 19:57
I really love this font. It is so clean and easy to read. It didnt do as well when I modified the scaleui, so I went ahead and made my own version. Instead of converting the font over to the fgf files, I found you can just use the TTF or OTF files directly. this worked great, so I could bump up the sizes and tweak it very easily for the new scale.
Thanks!

benjihad
March 16th, 2019, 19:06
I really love this font. It is so clean and easy to read. It didnt do as well when I modified the scaleui, so I went ahead and made my own version. Instead of converting the font over to the fgf files, I found you can just use the TTF or OTF files directly. this worked great, so I could bump up the sizes and tweak it very easily for the new scale.
Thanks!

Nice, I will have to give that a try as well. I had to change the default font because it rendered fraction characters poorly, so I scrolled through the font library on the smallest point setting to see which I thought looked the best. Glad you found it as readable as I did!

paladiusdarkhelm
March 16th, 2019, 19:45
Thanks!

@benjihad - I've been using the font. It's great! I do /scaleui a fair amount as well, though. Are you open to incorporating @mattekure suggestion into your extension to make it more flexible for scaling?

mattekure
March 16th, 2019, 20:41
@benjihad - I've been using the font. It's great! I do /scaleui a fair amount as well, though. Are you open to incorporating @mattekure suggestion into your extension to make it more flexible for scaling?

Oh, I forgot to link them. I attached my edits here if you want to take a look. the one marked big I find works well at scaleui 80, but it is now super easy to change any given fonts size. just change the file extension to zip and extract the contents. Inside is a graphics_fonts.xml file. the only thing you would need to tweak is the 'size="X"' lines for the type of text you want to change.

bmos
May 4th, 2020, 13:53
Just a heads up to everyone who might be trying this, it doesn't work great in Unity.
It works, but there are graphical glitches when scrolling in text windows.

mattekure
May 4th, 2020, 14:20
I recently released several font extensions including one for Montserrat and the other top google fonts. There are FGU versions of most of them on the second post.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?57197-Fonts-from-Google-Fonts

CD0369
August 21st, 2021, 15:25
Hello,
I found the Montserrat font Big to be very useful. Several of my players have commented on how well it helps us who require glasses without eating screen space by scaling the UI. Many of us use laptops to run FGU and cannot afford scaling the UI. The font extension bridges that gap. It does make for a little bit of squish in some menus and windows but it does not bother any of us. We are happy that we can see the letters.
I had found a conflict between that font and Sir Motte's Magnificent Darkness theme extension. From what I have researched, to work around this the font file needs a higher load order. Which may cause conflicts. But I am not smart of editing XML files. If anyone is able to help, greatly appreciate it. Thank you in advance.