PDA

View Full Version : DR and Weapon Enhancement Bonus

willrune
March 13th, 2019, 17:27
I'm trying to help my group figure out how to create certain weapons and actions correctly for a Pathfinder 1E game, but I've run into a bit of a wall as I'm still new at this and was hoping someone would be able to help.

I'd like to create a were creature for a PC to fight. How do I represent DR 5/silver? Can this be done for PCs? Can this be done for NPCs? Can this be done for Monsters? (Whats the difference?)
The PC is a fighter wielding a +3 steel sword. How can the ability to overcome damage reduction based on the enhancement bonus be represented?
How do I create the item so that the action is automatically set up correctly when given to a player?

I've tried reading the PDF, but that seems more 5E focused. I've tried reading the User Guides on the wiki, but I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around it.

I've created a local test campaign that is currently empty so I can test it all in isolation.

Trenloe
March 13th, 2019, 20:26
There's a couple of things to look at here.

Firstly - any DR is handled via the DR effect applied to an actor in the combat tracker. Info on that here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/3.5E_Effects#Modifiers

1) If the DR 5/silver text is in the correct place on the NPC record ("SQ" entry in the "Defense" section), when you add that NPC to the combat tracker the correct effect should be parsed and created in the combat tracker effects for that creature. Have a look at the "Lycanthrope, Werewolf (Hybrid Form)" NPC in the PFRPG Bestiary (SRD) module that comes with FG.

There's no difference in terms of the data for NPCs or Monsters.

PCs are a little bit difference, defensive qualities aren't parsed when a PC is added to the combat tracker - you'll need to apply effects manually once the PC is in the combat tracker. This usually isn't an issue as PCs usually stay in the combat tracker.

2 and 3) There's nothing that applies a material type to a magical weapon for bypassing DR. You can add cold iron and silver to the "Damage Type" section of the item before it is added to the PC sheet, or can add the damage types to the weapon entry in the actions tab after it is added to the PC sheet - comma separate multiple damage types.

willrune
March 14th, 2019, 00:35
So if I am reading it right, it should look like this? (See attached images)

Trenloe
March 14th, 2019, 01:17
Assuming all of those damage types for the attacks are correct, then it looks OK.

Oly one way to be sure - try some damage actions and see what's reported in the chat window.

willrune
March 14th, 2019, 01:24
I originally had a syntax error with my effect before taking the screenshot.

Applying DR 2/silver did not work.

Applying DR: 2 silver does work.

Everything else worked as expected. Thanks Trenloe!

PS.
Anyone looking for damage types can find them here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/3.5E_Effects#Modifiers

revanmaster
August 9th, 2020, 06:59
Also, wondering if have the statements updated to "or" because "and" doesn't work from what I've tested?

Kelrugem
August 9th, 2020, 16:51
Also, wondering if have the statements updated to "or" because "and" doesn't work from what I've tested?

What do you mean? :) Normally both "and" and "or" should work :) (by the way, "and" means that you need all listed damage types to overcome that DR :) it is not the same as "or" because your answer reads a bit like that :) )

revanmaster
August 9th, 2020, 17:07
I was staring at this code too long, but what I mean is from what I understand there aren't any monsters that need a "and", instead "or" in the bestiary like for example I've come across vampires(not sure since they are a CR 9, and makes less sense than a Balor having both good, and cold iron). and it's code is saying it needs both silver and magic.

If everyone is to believe on vampires they are both, but +3 weapon or +1 mithral should overcome the DR for both.

Also, it seems that golems have been fixed because I remembered them not taking damage from an adamantine sword for a few months back.

I'm editing this over time, but it seems like I'm DMing for people that think they should be bypassing a vampires DR if paizo's are different from 3.5e hence why I'm pointing this out, but I'm also looking at this as it seems that a +3 weapon is supposed to act as silver as well for bypassing, but that makes this seems like the code may need to account for +2> as well

revanmaster
August 10th, 2020, 09:00
I'm also saw this thread that was kind of old, and trying to rationalize stuff to figure if something it broken, or not, and to figure out if I'm getting misinformation. Since 3.5e was more domain, and being sold on pathfinder 1e for a group to run being "completely different" and remember DR, and such. Though I'm starting to see the same stuff from both in a lot of areas.

dellanx
August 10th, 2020, 10:33
I originally had a syntax error with my effect before taking the screenshot.

Applying DR 2/silver did not work.

Applying DR: 2 silver does work.

Everything else worked as expected. Thanks Trenloe!

PS.
Anyone looking for damage types can find them here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/3.5E_Effects#Modifiers

Try in combat tracker

DR: 2/silver

In an NPC SQ Block before import into the combat tracker

DR 2/silver

dellanx
August 10th, 2020, 10:41
Are you asking about this?

https://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/special-abilities#TOC-Damage-Reduction

revanmaster
August 10th, 2020, 11:12
Are you asking about this?

https://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/special-abilities#TOC-Damage-Reduction

Yeah supposedly a few people are citing this as something that's official, and I'm curious about this.

I'm also attempting to figure out the differences to 3.5e so I can look out for it.

Kelrugem
August 10th, 2020, 17:31
I was staring at this code too long, but what I mean is from what I understand there aren't any monsters that need a "and", instead "or" in the bestiary like for example I've come across vampires(not sure since they are a CR 9, and makes less sense than a Balor having both good, and cold iron). and it's code is saying it needs both silver and magic.

If everyone is to believe on vampires they are both, but +3 weapon or +1 mithral should overcome the DR for both.

Also, it seems that golems have been fixed because I remembered them not taking damage from an adamantine sword for a few months back.

I'm editing this over time, but it seems like I'm DMing for people that think they should be bypassing a vampires DR if paizo's are different from 3.5e hence why I'm pointing this out, but I'm also looking at this as it seems that a +3 weapon is supposed to act as silver as well for bypassing, but that makes this seems like the code may need to account for +2> as well

In 3.5e you do not automatically get bonus damage types with higher enhancement levels, and I think that FG does not automatically do this in PF1. But there was some extension (of rmilmine I think?) which is doing that :) Otherwise you need to add the damage types to these weapons manually :) (it is no problem to add the damage type silver to a weapon which has that magical bonus, rmilmine's extension is basically doing the same when I remember it correctly

revanmaster
August 12th, 2020, 10:10
In 3.5e you do not automatically get bonus damage types with higher enhancement levels, and I think that FG does not automatically do this in PF1. But there was some extension (of rmilmine I think?) which is doing that :) Otherwise you need to add the damage types to these weapons manually :) (it is no problem to add the damage type silver to a weapon which has that magical bonus, rmilmine's extension is basically doing the same when I remember it correctly

Hmmm I'll need to check it out, but I might have it already just off for unity at this moment since we're waiting for release.