PDA

View Full Version : Reading purchased rulebooks/adventures without the software?

Tabatha
March 13th, 2019, 08:14
Hi, I used the search function but did not find the answer.

Is there a chance to read the adventures or rulebook offline, like on my commute to work?
Or can't I only read them via the FG software?

It would be incredible convenient if I could use the "dead" time of my commute to read them but I'm not sure if this is possible due to copy protection.

Targas
March 13th, 2019, 08:44
Yes. Although not with the Fantasy Grounds Software (if you don‘t want to carry a Microsoft Surface tablet around).
The only choice I know and use myself is DnD Beyond: https://www.dndbeyond.com
And yes, I can hear lots of people saying ... but I already bought it on a different platform, etc.
I can tell you I bought some resources 4 times. Hardcover english/local language, VTT, and for electronic reading.
You didn‘t specify the rule system. Similar applies to Pathfinder, where you can purchase PDF documents.

Tabatha
March 13th, 2019, 09:00
I already use DnD beyond and purchased the player handbook there for character creation.
And I bought the player handbook here too with some other books.

Can you tell me which advantage a adventure bought via DnD beyond has? If I can only read it trough I would rather but the paper version.

Edit: rules for 5e.

Zacchaeus
March 13th, 2019, 10:06
There's no advantage buying an adventure on D&D Beyond over what you'd get buying the book other than I suppose being able to read it on a computer.

Tabatha
March 13th, 2019, 11:00
Like I thought, thank you.

Than I would rather purchase an additionally printed version to my purchase here or copy some parts down that need some more preparation.

LordEntrails
March 13th, 2019, 17:04
You do know that you do not need FG to be online in order to use it right? Yes you have to use FG to read the products you have bought, but once you have done an update, the content is on your computer. If you have a laptop you can take it with you and read via FG while on your commute.

Nylanfs
March 13th, 2019, 17:38
What would be really cool is if Smiteworks could get somebody to make an android and iOS app that could read the reference modules. I don't know if that is stretching their license though.

Trenloe
March 13th, 2019, 19:26
@Tabatha - the best you can do, if you don't want to take a laptop with you, is leave FG running on a computer at home and use some form of screen share. Unfortunately, this might not be very good over a mobile phone network (and might use up your data pretty quickly if you're not on an unlimited plan).

Otherwise, I know it's not great and seem very backward in this day and age - take screenshots on your computer of the few pages of the reference manual you want to read and upload these to your phone/tablet.

Bidmaron
March 13th, 2019, 23:54
Better yet, switch to pathfinder and you get the pdf for free!

scarymike23
March 14th, 2019, 14:56
I would add that DnDBeyond also is great for searching, and specifically searching across multiple sources.

Targas
March 14th, 2019, 15:56
Yes, the documentation is cross linked, which is quite practical. You can search by sorted item/monster/treasure/spells/classes/races/backgrounds or feats.

Nylanfs
March 14th, 2019, 17:26
The only thing I don't like is that it's online.