PDA

View Full Version : Magic?

Drogo210
March 12th, 2019, 19:30
Hi,

I am going to ask a very stupid question but...What the purpose of Magic? button in the Spell/Ability use when "Add Cast". It is a spell of course it is magic, is not?

LordEntrails
March 12th, 2019, 20:04
Because you can use those to add actions (abilities) that are non-magical. Sure, spells are magical, but is Hellish Rebuke? Or dwarven resistance?

Check the Complete Barbarian package thread and download one of those characters. You will see some of the ways an ability can be used that are not magical in nature (i.e. don't do magic damage.)

Zacchaeus
March 12th, 2019, 20:10
It is also used to tell Fantasy Grounds that it is magic for the purposes of determining whether a creature who is resistant to magic gets advantage on the saving throw.

Drogo210
March 12th, 2019, 20:12
Because you can use those to add actions (abilities) that are non-magical. Sure, spells are magical, but is Hellish Rebuke? Or dwarven resistance?

Check the Complete Barbarian package thread and download one of those characters. You will see some of the ways an ability can be used that are not magical in nature (i.e. don't do magic damage.)

Add Cast is not use for dealing damage but to trigger Save and Attack rolls, so I still do not understand it. For damage, you usually put the word magic, and no magic has such word :P as far I see (i.e. Magic Missile says force not magic, and i does not need any Cast roll)

LordEntrails
March 12th, 2019, 20:16
Add Cast is not use for dealing damage but to trigger Save and Attack rolls, so I still do not understand it. For damage, you usually put the word magic, and no magic has such word :P as far I see (i.e. Magic Missile says force not magic, and i does not need any Cast roll)
What about a trip attack? Or if you wanted to do something like a martial feat? Those are not "magical" in nature and hence magic resistance would not assist or aid in those (as Mr Z says).

In short, it's there because of versatility. I can't give you a better specific example at the moment, but I'm sure if you think outside the magic realm, you can find a few class or racial abilities that apply.

Drogo210
March 12th, 2019, 20:16
It is also used to tell Fantasy Grounds that it is magic for the purposes of determining whether a creature who is resistant to magic gets advantage on the saving throw.

That makes sense. So If checked is no magic? Because I see for example Acid Splash the box is not checked.

Zacchaeus
March 12th, 2019, 20:39
That makes sense. So If checked is no magic? Because I see for example Acid Splash the box is not checked.

No, if it is checked then it is a magic attack. You may have actually found a bug because Acid Splash is most certainly a spell and since it has a cast then any creature with magic resistance should get advantage on the saving throw (which my tests show isn't happening).

The add cast can be used to create your own casts and those can have a variety of reasons other than the cast being part of a spell. The tick box is there so that you can tell FG that what you are creating is a magic attack so that FG knows that magic resistant creatures should get advantage on their saving throw.

Drogo210
March 12th, 2019, 21:50
No, if it is checked then it is a magic attack. You may have actually found a bug because Acid Splash is most certainly a spell and since it has a cast then any creature with magic resistance should get advantage on the saving throw (which my tests show isn't happening).

The add cast can be used to create your own casts and those can have a variety of reasons other than the cast being part of a spell. The tick box is there so that you can tell FG that what you are creating is a magic attack so that FG knows that magic resistant creatures should get advantage on their saving throw.

I wouldn't say it is a bug. It is just a wrong parsing if u check the box works. But If am not mistaken there are more spells like that, where Magic? should be ticked

Zacchaeus
March 12th, 2019, 22:15
I wouldn't say it is a bug. It is just a wrong parsing if u check the box works. But If am not mistaken there are more spells like that, where Magic? should be ticked

I've had a look at a random sample and they are all ticked. Remember it's only needed if there is a saving throw involved. And it is a bug since it should be ticked automatically; you shouldn't have to tick it to get it to work.