PDA

View Full Version : Maps showing up gray

Davinci522
March 10th, 2019, 03:18
During my sessions my players will not that the main world will turn gray (background of the map window) with only pins showing. I reshare the maps and nothing seems to fix it.

LordEntrails
March 10th, 2019, 03:30
How large are the maps? Usually that only happens if the map hasn't finished downloading or if the cache is corrupted. Or if you have applied a mask to the image and have not removed parts of it.

Does this happen with a "small map? i.e. something like a 1000x1000px and 500kb. Does it repeat on a small map if the player clears their cache? On a small map in a new campaign with NO extensions?

Can you and a player share a screen shot?

Davinci522
March 10th, 2019, 03:49
How would a player clear their cache? The map is 411kb in jpg. 26642

Moon Wizard
March 10th, 2019, 03:50
Do you have a mask on the map? If so, have you revealed any part of the mask for players to see?

Regards,
JPG

Davinci522
March 10th, 2019, 03:51
No mask. Just the world map with pins

damned
March 10th, 2019, 12:31
what is the map name? the filename?

LordEntrails
March 10th, 2019, 15:12
How would a player clear their cache? The map is 411kb in jpg.
Near the upper right right corner on the Join Game screen is a nuclear icon/button.
And Damned's question on filename :)

Davinci522
March 10th, 2019, 16:24
Paneal.jpg, I’ll have them try it and see if it helps

Willot
March 10th, 2019, 22:46
If you join your own game on your own computer (start FG again and this time Join your own game as a player using the address 127.0.0.1). If you can see the map fine as a player on your own computer; it must mean your players are still downloading the map. Now the map isn't very large so only other thing is; You aren't running a game for 10 players or anything? If you are. (apart from how do you run a game for 10 players and not strip off you clothes and run around naked shouting "Im a tea pot!", "Im a Tea pot!" Due to stress).This could be slowing down the upload to them. Also are you streaming?

Davinci522
March 10th, 2019, 23:15
I’m on a Mac so (as far as I know) I can’t start a second instance to join my own game, I’ve tried in the past and couldn’t figure out how. I’m only running a game for four players. I am not streaming. I turned off some QoL extensions and that seemed to help.

Zacchaeus
March 10th, 2019, 23:22
Indeed the first thing to check is whether an extension is the problem. Try in a new campaign without extensions.

Also you can run a second instance on a Mac. I believe you would need to install a second demo client to do so however.

Alyksandrei
March 23rd, 2019, 01:44
I've encountered this problem as well, but I'm a player rather than the dm. I don't know how to test it, because it's happened on different servers. It's only some of the images, and I appear to be the only player to be experiencing this issue on each table. Waiting for the image to load doesn't seem to do anything - some of these are world/regional maps, and I attempt to reference them multiple times during the session with no change. I can see tokens and pointers, but the image itself is completely gray. Once it was partially and temporarily fixed when the dm restarted the server, but it happened again later in the session with a different image (not a map this time). What can I, as a player, do to figure out if it's an extension causing the problem or an actual bug? With it occurring on three different servers with three different host computers, it doesn't make sense to me.

I can attempt to post a screenshot if that might help diagnose the problem, or at least make it clear what I'm talking about.

damned
March 23rd, 2019, 01:59
are you on wired or wifi connection?
are you on a 32bit or 64bit OS?
you may need to nuke your cache

seycyrus
March 23rd, 2019, 04:43
Good evening! This is more for the benefit of the "Ones in the know" than an answer anyone's specific problem, but my players experienced a similar problem a couple of weeks ago, and I believe I figured out the cause (and fix) for our specific problem. If it doesn't specifically help here, it might help in the future.

At the end of one play session, players were in the middle of a small dungeon. Between that session and the next, I made some changes to the map in CC3+ (extinguished some torches, moved some furniture etc.) . At the next session, players couldn't load up the map, and could only see a token or two in a sea of white (or grey). Through some troubleshooting, I figured that I had exported the map from CC3+ with the exact same filename (just copied over the previous file in the images folder), but at a different resolution. I surmise that FG had saved the "state" of the encounter in the db.xml and was having trouble reconciling THAT information with the resolution of the new map - causing problems when the players tried to view the map.

My solution was to simply rename the new map with a slightly different name, and then share that one with the players. Tokens had to be re-placed on the new map, but that's much preferable to staring at an map that won't load for hours.

Dirv
August 1st, 2019, 03:59
Good evening! This is more for the benefit of the "Ones in the know" than an answer anyone's specific problem, but my players experienced a similar problem a couple of weeks ago, and I believe I figured out the cause (and fix) for our specific problem. If it doesn't specifically help here, it might help in the future.

At the end of one play session, players were in the middle of a small dungeon. Between that session and the next, I made some changes to the map in CC3+ (extinguished some torches, moved some furniture etc.) . At the next session, players couldn't load up the map, and could only see a token or two in a sea of white (or grey). Through some troubleshooting, I figured that I had exported the map from CC3+ with the exact same filename (just copied over the previous file in the images folder), but at a different resolution. I surmise that FG had saved the "state" of the encounter in the db.xml and was having trouble reconciling THAT information with the resolution of the new map - causing problems when the players tried to view the map.

My solution was to simply rename the new map with a slightly different name, and then share that one with the players. Tokens had to be re-placed on the new map, but that's much preferable to staring at an map that won't load for hours.

Thank you! This was the exact situation we ran into and your workaround was great. Thanks for the help!

seycyrus
August 2nd, 2019, 03:09
Thank you! This was the exact situation we ran into and your workaround was great. Thanks for the help!
Glad to be of service!