PDA

View Full Version : Elgato Stream Deck

JHale1966
March 7th, 2019, 21:59
I'm looking into picking up one of these units and wondering if anyone has tried to use one with Fantasy Grounds. I'm thinking about (if possible) having the options such as Stories, Maps, NPC's etc stored on the buttons as well as the Combat Tracker, Party Sheet assignable to other buttons so that I can just hit the button to bring these items up and hitting the button again to make them vanish. I usually have a ton of windows open during a game and sometimes it's not so time efficient to have to move windows around to get to the things I need in a quick hurry just for a quick lookup.

Any thoughts?

Wintermute
March 8th, 2019, 01:41
Yeah, buy one today. They are great. I'm rarely using the start menu now. Streaming aside, if you can hot key it, you can use the stream deck. I LOVE IT.

Back in September, I started a blog article on my setup, but haven't got around to finishing it. It's got screenshots of my setup and what the buttons do. Here's a link https://www.gmwintermute.com/elgato

Happy to answer any questions you got.

JHale1966
March 8th, 2019, 01:56
Sweet article. Thank you. :)

Do you know if there are hotkeys for the right side options or is there a comprehensive listing of ALL the hotkeys available?

JHale1966
March 8th, 2019, 02:14
OK, Just figured out you can drag the Menu Buttons and the CT and Party Sheet to the Hot Key bar(s) so that should cover what I need. :D

Ordering the Deck NOW. :D

Thanks!

Wintermute
March 8th, 2019, 03:49
With fg, I use the library tabs to hotbar the main buttons like NPCs, stories, and etc.

Only one thing, for the FG hotkeys to work, FG need to be the active window. If you click on a brower window, then hit an FG key, it wont work. Most all programs are like that tho.

I created a blank game template, set up my hotkeys, and then copy the template for new games. Saves you from having to reset everything on a new game.

JHale1966
March 8th, 2019, 12:48
I have a template table too for each game system. I was looking at the software and it looks like the unit will load the keysets based on a profile when I run Fantasy Grounds so I don't have to use those spots when I'm not playing.

I plan on using this with my Music and Video stuff as well - it looks better and better all the time. Went ahead and bought a second one for my wife to possibly use with her embroidery software. :D

JHale1966
March 9th, 2019, 23:48
My Decks came in today! :D

Here is my first attempt at the FG profile:

Wintermute
March 10th, 2019, 01:49
That's great, you'll be hooked shortly. I wouldn't trade mine for most anything. And if you didn't know you can use animated .gif as buttons. :)

TheMookNet
March 10th, 2019, 22:04
Wow! That is pretty awesome, and would sure make life easier (with a lot of things). Tough price point, but may be worth it -- I notice that the smaller 6-key deck is $90 to the full size's $150, but I dunno... I think at that point, might as well just go for the biggest size.

JHale1966
March 10th, 2019, 23:36
That's exactly the thought process I went thru too and decided on the full size one. :D

JHale1966
June 10th, 2019, 12:11
Just got the Stream Deck XL! :D

celestian
June 10th, 2019, 15:17
Just got the Stream Deck XL! :D

I've been rolling the idea around of getting one of these (32 buttons?) for similar reasons. You are not making it easy to put that decision off.

;)

JHale1966
June 10th, 2019, 15:20
It's so nice to have all the buttons on one screen instead of several subfolders that I had to do with the 15 button version. I also have a lot more versatility in triggering sound fx and such.

TheMookNet
June 10th, 2019, 18:41
Oooh, shiny! Yeah, I bet that's super useful. I still haven't GMed much online, but for lots of other uses the (15-key) stream deck has been super useful. Appreciate the recommendation, y'all were right. :)

JohnD
June 10th, 2019, 19:24
So this is essentially another small keyboard that you can map things from FG on to instead of having to click on them in game? Sort of like another whole set of function keys?

TheMookNet
June 10th, 2019, 19:37
Exactly. I find it very useful for all sorts of things, even with a Logitech G13 mini-keyboard for gaming. The Streamdeck launches my game launchers (Battlenet, Steam, etc.), Discord, un/mutes audio, even connects to my Hue hub so I can turn the lights up/down/off. Handy.

JHale1966, that pic with all the FG symbols is heartwarming : )

Wintermute
June 10th, 2019, 19:41
I have a whole folder of keys assigned to those random 20 digit passwords, could not live without it. Also I hardly use the start button anymore. It drives me crazy watching people hunt thru the start menu for an app. lol

Wintermute
June 10th, 2019, 19:42
@jayhale1966, I just saw where they had came out with that. It's on my summertime upgrade list.

JHale1966
June 10th, 2019, 20:21
Exactly. I find it very useful for all sorts of things, even with a Logitech G13 mini-keyboard for gaming. The Streamdeck launches my game launchers (Battlenet, Steam, etc.), Discord, un/mutes audio, even connects to my Hue hub so I can turn the lights up/down/off. Handy.

JHale1966, that pic with all the FG symbols is heartwarming : )

I just used Snagit for the capture and photoshop to make them 72x72. Gonna redo them at 144x144 for the new Stream Deck when I get some time. Maybe even some animated ones. 😁

JHale1966
June 11th, 2019, 17:38
Here's a better shot in it's new home...

Raddu
July 14th, 2020, 22:41
Just got one of these myself. Here's my setup. Still in progress, but this is my initial setup.

On my main screen I have a FG button that goest into this folder. From here I have a folder for Classic and Unity and a link to the Forums

Here's the FG Classic Folder:
The FG Button starts the program
The sidebar button opens a folder that contains all the sidebar buttons
The Dark Sun GM/Player buttons are folders that open hotkeys (see below)
The RFI Initiative button opens the Roll For Iniatiative Extension
I put the Combat Tracker here for easy access
I put the Next Actor button for combat
The "Screen" Button is the DMs Screen mod I made that mimics the DM Screen Reincarnated with links.
The Ampersand GM/Player buttons are the big sidebar buttons

This is the Sidebar folder

This is the Dark Sun GM Button (the Ampersand GM button is similar, but uses the core 5e buttons)

This is the Dark Sun Player Button(the Ampersand Player button is similar, but uses the core 5e buttons)

Myrdin Potter
July 16th, 2020, 20:27
I have one as well (disclosure, I work for the company that elgato is part of and that company is full of people that play D&D :-) ). I will have to look at these, all I have now is a button to start fantasy grounds,

JHale1966
July 16th, 2020, 20:30
I have one as well (disclosure, I work for the company that elgato is part of and that company is full of people that play D&D :-) ). I will have to look at these, all I have now is a button to start fantasy grounds,

I have buttons for all the menu options. See my earlier pic in the thread. I've since subdivided screens per the button where you can choose DM, Player, etc.

Myrdin Potter
July 16th, 2020, 20:38
I just have the regular one, not XL. I use it for key light and my new Wave 3 as well. Endless zoom meetings, it helps.

Since I use FG so much, I should work on it. I had wanted to add some syrinscape buttons as well ...

lancetcampbell
August 17th, 2020, 01:48
Has anyone used the stream deck for pushing out sounds when running Zoom? I thought it would be fun to click a button and make the sound of a fireball.

Myrdin Potter
August 17th, 2020, 01:52
Would probably be easier using the wavelink software that comes with the Wave mics, but probably can be done via syrinscape (maybe with Audio Overseer).

Raddu
August 17th, 2020, 21:14
For some reason my hotkeys with the Elgato are not working with Unity. Anyone else having this issue?

Wintermute
October 19th, 2020, 20:25
@Raddu, did you every find a solution to this issue? I just started configuring my streamdeck for Unity and ran into the same issue.

Raddu
October 19th, 2020, 20:34
Nope, haven't heard anything.

StylinLP38
December 5th, 2020, 21:25
Its December now. Have you guys figured out how to get Elgato to worth with FG? Im planning on using my 15 key version for Syrinscape, Discord and launching all the apps.

Moon Wizard
December 6th, 2020, 05:50
There is nothing specific to FGU that we are doing for Elgato; and we are using the keyboard event system built into the core Unity system. So, given that, I'm not sure that there is much we can do on this. Plus, this is not something at the top of our priority list.

Our priority currently is vision/lighting and a community workshop.

Regards,
JPG

Myrdin Potter
December 6th, 2020, 21:23
The Streamdeck can recreate keystrokes, so I don’t know what has to be done except to make the graphics for buttons. I barely know how to use mine and replicated the buttons from classic in about 30 minutes.

Wintermute
December 8th, 2020, 15:53
I've had no issues with the Streamdeck using Classic, only with Unity. The streamdeck works fine using F1-F12. The trouble is when you are using the expanded function keys (ATL-CTRL-SHIFT). Setting up the ALT-F3 key, unity is only reading the F3 and not the alt key. As Moon Wizard pointed out, FGU is using Unity's keyboard handling system. Since it is technically not their problem, I've submitted a support ticket to Elgato on the issue. I will post when I get a reply back.

Until then, I guess we will have to use our favorite VTT without our favorite toy. As much as I will miss my 40+ FG hotkey buttons, no way I'm going back to FGC. :)

Seabvharin
December 27th, 2020, 19:08
If people are having trouble with getting this to work with Unity, this is what I found:
grab the "SuperMacro" extension listed under the "More Actions" button in the Elgato software.
From there, use the Super Macro with the following settings (example is for shift+alt+ctrl+ f1):

In Short-Press Macro:
{{KeyDown:LSHIFT}}
{{KeyDown:LCTRL}}
{{KeyDown:LALT}}
{{F1}}
{{KeyUp:LSHIFT}}
{{KeyUp:LCTRL}}
{{KeyUp:LALT}}

Output Delay: 1 ms
Check the "Don't treat "New Line" as Enter" box.

to modify it for other shortcuts, just remove the KeyDown: (mod) and KeyUp: (mod) lines that aren't needed, or change the F1 to the appropriate key.
It works in both Unity and Classic.

JHale1966
December 27th, 2020, 19:55
BEAUTIFUL!

Will try that when I get off work. ��

JHale1966
December 28th, 2020, 12:46
It kind of works... it seems to catch the buttons better but no matter what combinations I use for a key, it only shows the base key. i.e. even if I try and do a {{KeyDown:LSHIFT}}{{F1}}{{KeyUp:LSHIFT}} or {{CTRL}{SHIFT}{F1}} (when captured), it only shows what I have on the F1 key and not any other combination. :/

Seabvharin
December 28th, 2020, 21:34
If I understand you issue here:
The method I posted just triggers each modifier, then the F key, then releases each modifier key. This does result in FG returning to only showing the core set of hotkeys.

Or is it only tripping the base F1 key regardless of setup?

JHale1966
December 29th, 2020, 12:38
If I understand you issue here:
The method I posted just triggers each modifier, then the F key, then releases each modifier key. This does result in FG returning to only showing the core set of hotkeys.

Or is it only tripping the base F1 key regardless of setup?

It's strange because if I hit the key on the SD once or twice, it might show what's actually programmed but it will eventually just show the Base F1 key.

Thanks!

Seabvharin
December 29th, 2020, 18:06
I ran a game with it last night. Finally out of testing the super macros.
Notable issues:
Up the Output delay to 10 - 20 ms. Turns out that Unity is a little more sensitive to timing when other things are running. Seems to better hit the command wanted instead of missing a keystroke.
Do not use Alt+F4 or Shift+Alt+F4 in windows. Turns out that Unity will not grab that particular shortcut and will let the OS handle it. very rude surpise to be staring at my desktop all of a sudden. (For non-windows users, Alt+F4 is the windows "close" shortcut for programs.)

Wintermute
January 21st, 2021, 02:33
THanks so much for this. Streamdeck is back!!

Rylan Storm
September 30th, 2021, 22:40
Who's awesome? You guys are awesome!

This plugin for StreamDeck has changed the whole way I look at the device.

Raddu
December 28th, 2021, 20:58
I've been messing with this for an hour now and I can't get any of the Super Macros to work. I've tried with the KeyUp/Keydown combos different implementations of the braces and read the wiki, but Unity doesn't seem to be responding to any created macros. ANy ideas?

EDIT: Ah, I figured it out...I'm using Windows 10 and I have to start the Stream Deck with "Run as Administrator"

Seabvharin
December 29th, 2021, 00:28
What I have found to work fairly reliably is something like this (ctrl+shift+alt+f7 example) :

{{KeyDown:LSHIFT}}
{{KeyDown:LCTRL}}
{{KeyDown:LALT}}
{{F7}}
{{KeyUp:LSHIFT}}
{{KeyUp:LCTRL}}
{{KeyUp:LALT}}

output delay is set to 10 ms, and "Don't treat new line as enter" is checked.

Depending on background tasks it almost always works on my system.

Raddu
December 29th, 2021, 15:44
Yup, tried that and for some reason it's not working.

What do you mean, "Depending on background tasks it almost always works on my system". What do background tasks have to do with it?

Seabvharin
December 29th, 2021, 20:37
By background tasks I mean if anything causes an unusual lag spike. I have had the macro key get "stuck" holding down one or more modifier before. It's blissfully rare, but I still have a key set to force release.
As for why it isn't working on your system, I don't know.
A few questions that have caught me on more than one occasion: Is Fantasy Grounds the active program, and did you remember to set up the hot keys in Fantasy Grounds?

Raddu
December 30th, 2021, 16:17
Ah, I figured it out...I'm using Windows 10 and I have to start the Stream Deck with "Run as Administrator"

How to always run an app elevated on Windows 10
Open Start.
Search for the app that you want to run elevated.
Right-click the top result, and select Open file location. ...
Right-click the app shortcut and select Properties.
Click on the Shortcut tab.
Click the Advanced button.
Check the Run as administrator option.

Nylanfs
December 30th, 2021, 17:03
You should be able to do that from right clicking on shortcut also

Raddu
December 30th, 2021, 17:08
Yes, but I wanted to make sure it always runs as Admin so it just works.

intergalactic
January 1st, 2022, 21:06
So the Super Macros plugin is from BarRaider, which is a Windows only extension for the Stream Deck. For Mac users, you can achieve the same result with Apple Script. It's a little more complicated, but only a little.

Install the "OSA Script" plugin from the Stream Deck store. It will show up under the "Custom" category.

Once you've assigned the OSA Script to a key on the Stream Deck, paste the following code into the "Script (Inline)" field:

tell application "System Events"
tell application "FantasyGrounds" to activate
key down {shift, control, option}
delay 0.5
key code 122
delay 0.5
key up {shift, control, option}
end tell

This code specifically triggers the shift+control+option+F1

To change the modifier keys to any combination of shift, control, and option. Just make sure that you change it in both the key down and key up portions.

Also note that you will need to restart the Stream Deck after you've entered the Apple Script. The script will not work until you have restarted the Stream Deck app. You should be able to enter multiple scripts before restarting.

For the function keys, you will need to use key codes. The key codes are:

F1 - 122
F2 - 120
F3 - 99
F4 - 118
F5 - 96
F6 - 97
F7 - 98
F8 - 100
F9 - 101
F10 - 109
F11 - 103
F12 - 111

Key Codes were sourced from here:
https://eastmanreference.com/complete-list-of-applescript-key-codes

For F1-F12 with no modifier keys, I just used the basic "hotkey" option rather than using the script. However, if you use them with the OSA Script, you can trigger the hot key with any other app active as it will first switch to Fantasy Grounds before running the command.

intergalactic
January 2nd, 2022, 12:25
As I am organizing my Stream Deck, it occurs to me that 96 hot key options might not be enough -- especially since I just learned about the /option command. (I'll make another post at some point showing off my Stream Deck setup.)

To create more space on my Stream Deck, I've been experimenting with a simple SD actions that will type a command into chat. I am using a multi-action to do the following:

1. System:Text*
Type the command (e.g. /option REVL off)

2. Delay
500ms

3. System:Text
Type space and then check "Press Enter after message"

*I tried checking "Press Enter after message" on this first command, but the "Enter" press always happens before the text has been written.

Now, the bigger issue is actually getting the cursor into the chat window. Right now, I have to manually place it there, which is not ideal, but to be able to toggle some of these options without having to go into the options panel is a huge win. Specifically things like: showing/hiding the DM rolls, various CoreRPG Combat Highlighter options,

Ideally, there would be some way to activate the chat as part of the command. I've tried issuing a chat command like /save as the first action in the sequence, thinking that it would make the chat active and enter the subsequent command into the chat. But that is not the case. Any /commands are issued to the chat in the background and the chat never becomes active. I've tried a variety of them, but none seem to actually bring chat to the front.

Anyway, wanted to share another, simpler way to get the stream deck to work -- even if it is in some limited capacity.

dsaraujo
January 7th, 2022, 20:56
This is how my setup looks like (it is in a folder):

Most of buttons triggers Syrinscape sounds: the character faces are their themesongs. The hero point timer is neat: when I press it starts a 1h timer with a beep at the end so I'm reminded to give people hero points (I play PF2E).

jaharmi
January 27th, 2024, 14:53
Just starting with a Stream Deck.

Is the current “best” solution to set up the Hotbar with buttons/links, and then use the Hotbar hotkeys (F1-12, with or without modifiers) (https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGCP/pages/1275232424/Common+Shortcuts+Hotkeys) to “press” the buttons?

If so, it would definitely be nice — and possibly cross-platform (across the platforms supported by FG) — to have something a bit more integrated by default. Even if there were just some sort of dedicated internal URL scheme (fg://x/y/z) for very common buttons / elements, so that setting up the Hotbar wasn’t necessary. A custom URL scheme that opens extremely common elements (which may vary based on game system and so on, completely understand that) seems like it would help in all sorts of automation / quick access scenarios beyond just the Stream Deck.