PDA

View Full Version : Defined Release Date?

A Trackless Stranger
August 25th, 2006, 21:22
Not to harp on an issue that is clearly becoming a dead horse, but I have searched the forums and can't find a specific day, month, whatever for a 2.0 release (maybe my search-fu is just weak).

Do we have anything other than "soon" to go on?

richvalle
August 25th, 2006, 22:18
Nothing has been said other then 'its being worked on'.

At this point I think they are avoiding a hard date since it might end up burning them if they miss date after date.

rv

A Trackless Stranger
August 25th, 2006, 22:25
Nothing has been said other then 'its being worked on'.

At this point I think they are avoiding a hard date since it might end up burning them if they miss date after date.

rv

I can certainly understand that, but I think they are doing a fair amount of damage as it is by saying nothing.

I love the application and I am sure the next version will be totally slick and I am not considering an alternative, so hopefully this gives me a little credibility when I say that FG does a simply terrible job communicating with its user base.

If this was just an open source app done as a hobby by hobbyists, then the lack of information would be one thing. This is being run as a professional corporation...pretty unprofessionally.

Enough complaining from me. :D I really do like the application and I have no doubt that the devs are busting their humps to get out a solid next version. I don't think a rough estimate of a timeframe is too much to ask for.

richvalle
August 25th, 2006, 22:36
Well, you are not the first nor will probably be the last to say that. :)

I wonder if they truely don't know how long its going to take. They have posted saying they've had to dive deeper into the guts of FG to add all the functionality they want to add for FG 2.0.

Though I'd guess coming out and saying "Sorry guys, its going to take us about 6 months to get everything back together" would at least toss a tenitive date out there.

Ahh well. We had a good game last night. Tonight its Fantasy Football time and then have to start getting ready for next weeks FG game. :)

Have a good weekend all.

rv

A Trackless Stranger
August 25th, 2006, 22:47
Though I'd guess coming out and saying "Sorry guys, its going to take us about 6 months to get everything back together" would at least toss a tenitive date out there.

Exactly. I'm not looking to hold their feet to the fire with a specific drop-dead date. Again, I'm a fan of the product and this is hardly a "mission critical" application in my life. I'm just looking for literally "any" information at this point... :D

We had a good game last night. Tonight its Fantasy Football time and then have to start getting ready for next weeks FG game. :)

I just joined a league where you have to pick one winner a week...I love that format. :D

tenkar
August 28th, 2006, 02:11
When was the last time a computer program/game/os/etc was ever released on the announced date or timeframe? "Its ready when its ready" is better then "here is your buggy mess but at least we hit the projected date". ;)

A Trackless Stranger
August 28th, 2006, 02:21
"Its ready when its ready" is better then "here is your buggy mess but at least we hit the projected date". ;)

I'm not sure who is suggesting that we want the product, regardless of the state it is in, at a specific date and that this would be better than a bug-tested product that is delivered late. I certainly am not saying that. In fact, in the post preceding yours, I specifically wrote that:

I'm not looking to hold their feet to the fire with a specific drop-dead date

You seem to be responding to an extreme position that no one, in fact, is advocating...

Illrigger
August 28th, 2006, 19:54
You seem to be responding to an extreme position that no one, in fact, is advocating...
Heh, YOU may not be advocating it. In my experience, once a date is listed and missed people suddenly come out of the woodwork with torches and pitchforks - people who never posted before, and probably will never even buy the product anyway; warzers seem to complain the loudest. That's the reason why almost nobody posts release dates until they are completely locked down anymore.